users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Magnatus VS Hellfire+1
Magnatus VS Hellfire+1
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-25 23:10:02  
Any ideas? I was going to try making this gun for COR Quickdraw but the base DMG is higher then Hellfire+1. Does 4 base DMG beat out 17 Ranged Attack?

Thanks I just wanted some input.

Edit: I also have Ranger sorry for not mentioning that sooner. I was wondering if it would be worth using as a DD gun on RNG compared to a Hellfire+1
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-25 23:12:15  
Does Ranged Attack even improve QD?

Edit: For that matter, COR can't even use Hellfire, what's there to debate?
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-25 23:21:44  
Sorry I forgot to mention I also have Ranger. But COR was my main reason for wanting it. Would it be usable on RNG as well?

How would it compare to HF+1?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-25 23:23:23  
So what you're trying to say is that if you get Magnatus for Quick Draw, would it also be usable on RNG?

If I were in your position, I'd get an OAT Dragonmaw, ditch the Hellfire+1, and use Magnatus for QD.

Lot of work but Dragonmaw is better than Hellfire+1, and also the best gun for COR for standard Ranged Attack.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-25 23:26:24  
Yeah Dragonmaw is pretty sexy, it's on my to do list. The 10 eyes is the only turn off currently. But say in the mean time how much base DMG would it take to beat 17RATK Hellfire+1 has to offer.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-25 23:28:24  
Well since Hellfire+1 is a 5-hit gun with /SAM, the damage is skewed more toward Weapons Skills. The DMG+ on Magnatus would likely beat the Hellfire +1's +17 R.Attack, but Hellfire gives added R.ACC so it's sort of a tradeoff, and will depend on your current gear more than anything.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-25 23:34:25  
Alright thanks I appreciate the input, RACC shouldn't be a huge issue for me since I use an Obow pretty much on everything at the moment. I also plan on keeping it for when I need Distance because of AoE or if Acid's Stick. (Odin/Dyna/Sea?)

I find gun is a really nice Epeen weapon when you can get close to an enemy and sub SAM. I just find it situational for the events I do which makes it difficult for me to justify Hellfire+1's price. If I already went through the trouble of camping these NMs for a QD Gun I wouldnt mind using it on Ranger.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-25 23:42:50  
You can also throw another 12 ws ratt on the hellfire too
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-26 07:56:49  
When I got ferdinand the increase of 5 base DMG was an improvement over hellfire+1.

Also the interview posted on ffxiwiki seems to indicate SE will continue on with more trials for the weapons they have out currently in addition to new equipment. I would get both of the weapons if you have the time to do all of the trials.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-28 00:22:48  
Well I'm caving in and buying a Hellfire+1 as soon as my big AH items sell, Is it possible to remove Evolith Slots on an item though? Or does it remain tagged "aug" forever?

If I have a bad *** evolith on it I guess I couldn't complain but my curiosity has the best of me.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-28 00:32:57  
I have this urge to level ranger, I see the ranger forum. It is not bad or actually HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Everything seems straight forward here. I am learning a lot from threads like this.
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-28 00:42:52  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
I have this urge to level ranger, I see the ranger forum. It is not bad or actually HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Everything seems straight forward here. I am learning a lot from threads like this.

should go for it

rng is hax for Odin and Sea, among other things
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-28 00:49:55  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Well I'm caving in and buying a Hellfire 1 as soon as my big AH items sell, Is it possible to remove Evolith Slots on an item though? Or does it remain tagged "aug" forever?

If I have a bad *** evolith on it I guess I couldn't complain but my curiosity has the best of me.
You can remove it. Which is nice if you didn't get the one you like (for example I only got 10) so you can take it off to sell or get better.

Also on the only evoliths you can put on it are fire down fill arrow I think. Which pretty much means +ratt on ws. The highest being 12.

Personally I think I'd rather have this for zerg and maybe dragonmaw most the time. 9 racc 29 ratt on ws vs a few base dmg... idk itd be close.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-28 00:56:48  
Yup, also I figure if you want to shoot things all the time one way or another. Corsair was worth taking to 75 as well (Surprisingly More Expensive then Ranger). That way no matter what event I do I can always have a Gun (Or Crossbow if I need the distance..) :D

Zerg=RNG(Pretty nice with Culvy/Cannon Shells)
Odin=RNG(Or COR depending on Support)
Sea=RNG(JOL/Temp/Justice/Aerns)COR(Everything Else)

Meriting... Well Ranger's invites aren't all that good on my server. Currently saving for Mkris for Corsair at least one of my favorite jobs gets to murder Pink Birds.

My Biggest Complaint about having both jobs is this.
Martial Gun(600k)- Mainly Good for COR, (Only should be used on Ranger for a highly evasive HNM?)

Hellfire+1(1.1m) Beastly Gun for Ranger, Pretty much the best in non zerg situations barring Relic

Total Cost 1.7m Sucks you need both if you play RNG and COR if you love Marksmanship

Silver Bullets (12 Pouches 150k) RNG Only -.-
Steel Bullets (12 Pouches 150k) Inferior for Ranger Use.

I don't understand how Bullets can be limited by job if you want to get realistic here. They appear to be the same caliber unlike the Cannonshells needed for a Culvy. Most of the time my ammo is crafted, but its still a big inconvenience for her lol.

Cost aside I have absolutely no regrets at all. Ranger was one of my favorite jobs to level.

Edit:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Well I'm caving in and buying a Hellfire 1 as soon as my big AH items sell, Is it possible to remove Evolith Slots on an item though? Or does it remain tagged "aug" forever?

You can remove it. Which is nice if you didn't get the one you like (for example I only got 10) so you can take it off to sell or get better.

Also on the only evoliths you can put on it are fire down fill arrow I think. Which pretty much means ratt on ws. The highest being 12.

Personally I think I'd rather have this for zerg and maybe dragonmaw most the time. 9 racc 29 ratt on ws vs a few base dmg... idk itd be close.

Also thanks for the info there. Dragonmaw is bad *** though and I don't think S/E is done with trials as of yet. I am speculating this is just the beginning just as Laitha stated. So Imagine Ranged Attack+10 and some Ranged Acc on a OaT Weapon. I think it's possible with the level cap increase seeing as these weapons are for LVL75.
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-28 01:00:11  
it helps if you craft along the way like woodworking/alch/smithing
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-28 01:06:02  
Woodworking is 60, Alchemy really does seem worth it for personal use at the moment. If I ever get Dragonmaw I'll take it to 100 for sure.. The ammo usage will be insane.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-28 01:45:05  
Ammo usage might not be as bad as you think. Say you make a 4 hit with it (something you can do with hellfire+1 with a slightly lower delay on it). You ws. Shoot twice if 1 is a double attack ws again bam. Lots of dmg in not many shots
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-28 09:00:46  
I know it is annoying to have to carry around different types of ammo, for the 2 main marksmanship jobs (not counting nin and thf). I think the whole point is as far as SE is concerned is that they don't want the weakest geared RNG to be out damaged by the strongest geared COR. I know it can happen if you have a bad RNG and an awesome COR but typically I feel that SE wants COR focused more on buffs and quickdraw.
I think you may see a separation in the quest line in the next update to make an even stronger gun for RNG but who knows what they will do. I was surprised that COR can use all the Magi guns that RNG can equip since that seems to go against what SE has done in the past. Normally if it’s a RNG/COR gun it isn’t the best option for RNG like the Fey Augmentable gun(I know Magi weapons are the best option yet for RNG either). The weapons have not surpassed hellfire+1 as the best DMG gun. That disappoints me since Hellfire +1 has been our best gun option (not counting Relic) since before the ranged distance update. I also don’t like the fact RNG doesn’t have any better ammo than silver bullets for regular guns (NM dropped bullets don’t count).
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-04-28 12:40:32  
I don't exactly understand why silver bullets are so good. Compared to other options they can be very inaccurate and didn't exactly seem as powerful(IRL they would pass through a target or just stop rather then bounce around inside.)

If they want to buff COR's DD next update they should focus more on good ammo that isn't hard to synth. Hopefully both RNG and COR could use lol. It doesn't matter if COR can out damage a shitty Ranger it can already happen. The main difference is the combat skill IMO

Maybe Im stupid to hope for some type of Hollow Point ammo lol
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-05-07 03:43:33  
Quote:
I don't exactly understand why silver bullets are so good. Compared to other options they can be very inaccurate and didn't exactly seem as powerful(IRL they would pass through a target or just stop rather then bounce around inside.)

Not all ammunition is designed to "bounce around inside". Ammo such as the copper jacketed, lead core .223 round is, whereas a copper jacketed, lead core .45 round generally will not. It isnt the metal used in the jacket or core, its the design of that ammo that makes a difference. Rounds/Weapons designed to "tumble" will be the ones you most commonly see "bouncing around" such as the .223 where the .45 will mushroom with slight or no deviance of trajectory (unless it ricochets off bone).

Common ammunitions use either: Lead, tungsten, tungsten carbide, depleted uranium, or steel. With the latter 3 being your armor piercing rounds, designed to enter dense materials, which used against a fleshy target (re: humans) would just go straight through causing less lethal damage and slower deaths.

Silver is a suitable, malleable metal, for bullet designs, however, the cost to shot ratio is decimated by lead.

SE logic dictates that the only reason RNG can use silver bullets is due to the high base dmg, and NOT wanting cor to top Rng in the DD capacity.

p.s. Dont forget, silver bullets kill werewolves!!! lol