99 Scholar What You Think?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » 99 Scholar What you think?
99 Scholar What you think?
 Kujata.Tsuki
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 08:24:15  
Kujata.Argettio said:
we have had the 3 mini expansions since then (all of which have given SCH a decent improvement in gear) as well as the Fomor NMs in the past with the Shrewd pumps (to what ever they are called) and a few other things that have improved the SCHs 'ideal' builds.

Just out of curiosity, what would you change about scholar's previous gearset with this 'New gear'? Discounting the pumps of course, those are a given.

Argettio, I think you are a bit miffed at BLM vs SCH... Don't worry, BLM will get lots of new toys to even up the gaps, slightly. Although, even that won't make them as efficient as Scholar and therefore not as desirable for all roles where efficiency matters (not that many, lol so its np!). Still I would be much much more concerned if I were a RDM (oops I guess you should still worry, ha ha) or WHM this time around. The most broken aspect of SCH will definitely be coming from the the white book side this time around and I think BLMs will remain relatively unscathed...

What I'd like to see for BLM and what it really needs is something to compete with Tier IV. Either be as efficient MPwise and do more damage for similar dmg:mp ratios, or have the same sort of dmg/mp efficiency but produce a desired added effect bonus that Isn't DoT, lol. Attk down or something similar etc. I want to see Tier IV as the second choice for BLM rather than a crutch they lean on. yes more sleeps is win too.

Back onto to SCH... The single reason you don't see Scholar more often is that it lacks the haste spell. That tiny flaw is enough to effectively shove it out of alliances and parties around the world. When SCH's claim haste, it will be a big deal and we will hear about it from WHMs and RDMs alike. I Hope they come out with Haste II for WHM/RDM soon... actually I don't hope for that really... I wish to rule the game with Scholar.

[+]
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 08:30:35  
Fairy.Yunachan said:
Klimaform has a 3 min recast, so that doesn't make a difference...

Yes, we have a decent equip, but nothing amazing, and yes, we deal good long time dmg, but just because of mp best usage due to dark arts and parsimony, not because of the amount of single damage.
Blm has better nuke equip, with genie/igqira,nashira,"morgana" (luck who get it ^^), and deal easly more dmg then a sch on the single nuke. Blm should /sch for example in dyna...and I bet the amount of damage would radically change...
Moreover, blms have this:
Magic Attack Bonus IV
Obtained: Black Mage Level 70
Total Magic Attack Bonus: 32
that is huge...

I mean, and I repeate, the problem is not on numberbs (in favour of blm) but on abilities...

K. first, nobody is saying sch is better than blm in raw numbers. the notion is absurd. the point is, over time on anything you can name that exists in this game, be it AV or whatever: scholar will outperform a blm in damage over time. what that means is at the end of the day its scholar who will have laid the more smack down. regardless of MAB traits or MACC stuff of elemental gears. Scholar is far passed being hindered by gear the argument isn't valid at all anymore.

However, naturally, I'm not saying just any scholar could do it. A good understanding of game mechanics and gear choice would be necessary just as it would on the blm's part if it were going against something like AV, lol.

The problems not abilities, and having blms sub sch is silly, its just silly. No. the problem lies in blm's lack of efficient traits and spells.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-10 08:40:31  
This has turned into a little bit of a rant from me, which wasn't my intention.

* The moogle hat (4INT 2 MAB) is 2 MAB and 2 M.acc better than the nearest SCH alternative (I think).

* ACP body (4m.acc 4 mab) is more of a max damage item for SCH, but still an improvement.

*ASA basically give gives SCH Shadow Trews, which is another max damage increase, less useful in resist builds.

Efficiency is the key to the game, more and more events are being attempted and cleared as 'low-man' groups and in that setting SCH shines. I would love BLM to regain some ground on the damage/mp front, as tbh its rare than 'big ***' numbers are useful (outside of 1 shotting with timed nukes).

I just saw some one in this thread stating that SCH should be the best over time nuker, and I had to disagree. SCH should be a capable nuker (more so than RDM), but shouldn't (for the balance of the game) be better than BLM.
 Fairy.Specopsz
サーバ: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-03-10 08:45:58  
I thought of something.
When it goes to 99, so many more possibility's will open up for jobs correct?
Meaning people can actually play the game they want to without having to meet 'standards' for parties.

Fairy.Specopsz
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-03-10 08:49:01  
Ragnarok.Nevex said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:
I thought of something.
When it goes to 99, so many more possibility's will open up for jobs correct?
Meaning people can actually play the game they want to without having to meet 'standards' for parties.

Sure thing, for the first two weeks or so.

Yeah true, then some popular set of douche's will be like.
YOU HAV PWAY GAME TIS WAY OTAY?
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
サーバ: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 08:52:44  
Not trying to be offensive but this sounds like a bit of a QQ on the blms part, you guy are going to get stronger nukes and no doubt more MAB and what not, and as promised meteor...and not to mention better gear and ur advantage on nuking will prolly pull u ahead on the new stuff. i don't see the need to try and lable sch as a buffer at all. It was "suppose" to be a well rounded mage as the two opposing arts show. My take on this old argument is blm just don't want any other jobs to nuke and they just don't like it when you try to nuke on sch (least in my case!)and before sch they would laugh when rdm(only other nuker) would do so. Separating sch and blm by a full tier just seems silly...and no reaching such high magic acc is very hard for sch for whoever said it was easy, and the new fomor gear and mini expansions have not done much to help sch in comparing to a blm by any means short of maybe e-peen puddings?

keeping to topic:
way i see it is as someone said 1 more strat charge and reduced recharge timer. as for new strat, there are lots of possibilities (strat to open cure5/r3/etc for one cast for example). New spell, like storms2 for dbl weather effect(or full day+2weather effect!?! obi wet dream) tho i would like to see something unique that deviates from the old, something to spice things up you know(for all jobs really lol)!
[+]
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:07:16  
Kujata.Argettio said:
I just saw some one in this thread stating that SCH should be the best over time nuker, and I had to disagree. SCH should be a capable nuker (more so than RDM), but shouldn't (for the balance of the game) be better than BLM.

I agree the potential of sch over blm whm or rdm is definately disheartening for the pure mages. However, with its hybrid nature I don't see scholar ever being held over the other jobs, as of yet. After the update who knows, especially in June with scholar getting access to haste from /40whm. As is stands though currently, as someone who has all 4 jobs well merited and geared, as much as I'd like to say that I get to be scholar because its awesome, I don't show up on it as often as I'd like just because its far more efficient for me to play the role of healer as WHM or crowed control/nuking as BLM.

I say this about BLM in particular because the penalties for scholar AOE crowd control are crippling. 2 minutes to recast sleepga II? what? screw that, blm is better for that. Yes I understand we have access to much more than sleepga, sometimes you don't have room to kite, or you can't account for people blindly standing next to bound mobs. Sometimes sleep is just better. If things were clear cut, and the healing role was just curing and the nuking role just covered nuking, then scholar absolutely shines. But when you start deviating from a specific role too much, its obvious scholar has its downfalls.

As scholar though, tbh those gear choices look rather bland to me. For a hat we can use +5 int, or +7 elemental magic. Body +7MAB or +10int. I stick with errant anyway, the int itself adds macc as well, so its fine and the two pieces don't stray too far from each other on the pure damage spectrum. for feet, I use yigit feet or goliard depending on resist setup, although less efficient than pumps mpwise, still has a bit of macc/mab. none of them make or break anything to be honest.
[+]
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:13:28  
Midgardsormr.Brayen said:
and no reaching such high magic acc is very hard for sch for whoever said it was easy, and the new fomor gear and mini expansions have not done much to help sch in comparing to a blm by any means short of maybe e-peen puddings?

what?
 Fairy.Yunachan
user: Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 09:18:19  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Fairy.Yunachan said:
Klimaform has a 3 min recast, so that doesn't make a difference...

Yes, we have a decent equip, but nothing amazing, and yes, we deal good long time dmg, but just because of mp best usage due to dark arts and parsimony, not because of the amount of single damage.
Blm has better nuke equip, with genie/igqira,nashira,"morgana" (luck who get it ^^), and deal easly more dmg then a sch on the single nuke. Blm should /sch for example in dyna...and I bet the amount of damage would radically change...
Moreover, blms have this:
Magic Attack Bonus IV
Obtained: Black Mage Level 70
Total Magic Attack Bonus: 32
that is huge...

I mean, and I repeate, the problem is not on numberbs (in favour of blm) but on abilities...

K. first, nobody is saying sch is better than blm in raw numbers. the notion is absurd. the point is, over time on anything you can name that exists in this game, be it AV or whatever: scholar will outperform a blm in damage over time. what that means is at the end of the day its scholar who will have laid the more smack down. regardless of MAB traits or MACC stuff of elemental gears. Scholar is far passed being hindered by gear the argument isn't valid at all anymore.

However, naturally, I'm not saying just any scholar could do it. A good understanding of game mechanics and gear choice would be necessary just as it would on the blm's part if it were going against something like AV, lol.

The problems not abilities, and having blms sub sch is silly, its just silly. No. the problem lies in blm's lack of efficient traits and spells.

My usage of the word abilities was meant to be more general, so job traits, spells, job abilities.

From my point of view, it is just a different way to deal damage. On the mage side the only DD has always been blm. Sch is another damage dealer, that deals lower damages for a longer period (as mnk is in melee jobs).What's so wrong with that? And with this sentence I don't wanna say I want to be the best nuker over time. I prefer playing support job role, rather than DD...
I do also say, that blm NEEDS upgrade in everything I've described before, because it is the only job that didn't get anything yet.

Edit:
to keep the line:
melee dd count: 9 (Thf, Dnc, Beast Excluded)
mage dd count: 2/3 (if u want to consider RDM too.)

Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:26:46  
I'm pretty sure BLM will be easily pleased with incoming toys, I can only hope its not superficial and that they get something to rival Tier IVs in terms of damage:mp efficiency.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 09:32:02  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
and no reaching such high magic acc is very hard for sch for whoever said it was easy, and the new fomor gear and mini expansions have not done much to help sch in comparing to a blm by any means short of maybe e-peen puddings?

what?

someone said sch can easily match blm in magic acc a few post back, and that just not true it not what i would consider "easy" nor does it actually match a blm.
The fomor boots and mini expansions really did not add much for sch that i think warrents mentioning as it was...***was on page 1 when i was writing it up b4 i hit submit lol

also, Tsuki, what body has 7MAB ? only thing i can think of is the 8mab -8macc body which name escapes me,
[+]
 Fairy.Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 09:36:36  
Kujata.Tsuki said:

what?

someone said sch can easily match blm in magic acc a few post back, and that just not true it not what i would consider "easy" nor does it actually match a blm.
The fomor boots and mini expansions really did not add much for sch that i think warrents mentioning as it was...***was on page 1 when i was writing it up b4 i hit submit lol

also, Tsuki, what body has 7MAB ? only thing i can think of is the 8mab -8macc body which name escapes me,

LOLMorgana's cotehardie.... That is just good for lolpudding....

Edit:
my best choice for nuking is the Royal Redingote with +4macc e +4matt
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:41:00  
Kujata.Tsuki said:

what?

oops sorry, I meant 5MAB from yigit body, lol. Also I must have missed those posts... yeah it doesn't match blm at all but it can certainly rival it for anything currently in game, assuming you have access to a lot of decent equip. don't those fomor boots add like 3conserve mp and 3mab? (I'm not positive sorry) if they have some macc too then I can see them being highly useful.

edit: found em
[Feet] All Races
DEF:14 Elemental magic skill +4 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+3 "Conserve MP"+2

you know, those aren't half bad. they won't hit as hard as yigit, but overtime they will trash em.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 09:48:05  
those boots are just 4 ele skill and some MAB, conserve mp if u like to play on luck. but that is not really something that's big a deal over a goliard clog with 2 macc and 4 int, especially when you might be riding low on int with a resist build, i don't see them beating yigit on pure dmg either, conserve mp is not that good sadly
 Fairy.Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 09:50:49  
I rather prefer goli clog, for it's macc and int/mnd+4. U save space in your inv and u get less resisted.

Edit:
Int+4 = matt+4
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:51:46  
those boots are just 4 ele skill and some MAB, conserve mp if u like to play on luck. but that is not really something that's big a deal over a goliard clog with 2 macc and 4 int, especially when you might be riding low on int with a resist build, i don't see them beating yigit on pure dmg either, conserve mp is not that good sadly

No these are actually really, really good. for all arounding sch is int heavy anyway just because of gear choice, these will definately trash goliard/yigit over time.
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:53:18  
Kujata.Tsuki said:

No these are actually really, really good. for all arounding sch is int heavy anyway just because of gear choice, these will definately trash goliard/yigit over time.
Fairy.Yunachan said:
I rather prefer goli clog, for it's macc and int/mnd 4. U save space in your inv and u get less resisted.

Elemental magic skill +4

/facepalm ._.
 Fairy.Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 09:55:03  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Kujata.Tsuki said:

Fairy.Yunachan said:
I rather prefer goli clog, for it's macc and int/mnd 4. U save space in your inv and u get less resisted.

Elemental magic skill 4

/facepalm ._.

Int+4 and macc+2 = elemental acc +4

edit: well, it depends on the mob int vs your int
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 09:58:05  
Fairy.Yunachan said:

Edit:
Int 4 = matt 4

:(
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-03-10 09:59:48  

You keep saying these upgrades are big deals, but they add up to making a difference.

You gain 1-2INT here, some macc there, and some MAB some where else and you are suddenly nuking for extra 100 damage.

A BLM with perfect gear got nothing in terms of damage from the mini expansions (except the hat which can be used in a day/weather build and possibly legs for MBing), whereas SCH got a new best item for the head/body/leg slot.

Hence the gap is closing.

I am not sure what BLM is supposed to do/be if they aren't the best nuker. We have stun, but RDM/DRK is normally a better stunner due to the option to use CS (and RDM/BLM will get stun soon enough).

Each of the DDs have a niche which no other DD has, it maybe small but it is there (Argon, Tomahawk, SE+BW, Feint etc) but BLMs niche was magical DD.
 Fairy.Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 10:01:04  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Fairy.Yunachan said:

Edit:
Int 4 = matt 4

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Accuracy
Please check it:
1 INT = 0.5 MACC

edit:
ok, not LESS resisted THAN elemental +4... in worst case, same resistance.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 10:09:35  
Kujata.Tsuki said:

No these are actually really, really good. for all arounding sch is int heavy anyway just because of gear choice, these will definitely trash goliard/yigit over time.

for maxing out dmg i dont see them beating out yigit.
2MAB 3INT vs 3MAB
for a resist set tho, i can see them working better
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 10:10:23  
Fairy.Yunachan said:
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Fairy.Yunachan said:

Edit:
Int 4 = matt 4

Please check it:
1 INT = 0.5 MACC

Okay I'm going to spell this out for you so that you can understand...

you told me that you prefer the clogs, because and I quote "u get less resisted" as opposed to using the shrewed pumps.

Goliard 4INT/2macc = 4macc. Pumps 4 Elemental magic skill.

not to mention the conserve mp and 3mab...

what part don't you get??
 Fairy.Yunachan
By Fairy.Yunachan 2010-03-10 10:18:47  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Fairy.Yunachan said:
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Fairy.Yunachan said:

Edit:
Int 4 = matt 4

Please check it:
1 INT = 0.5 MACC

Okay I'm going to spell this out for you so that you can understand...

you told me that you prefer the clogs, because and I quote "u get less resisted" as opposed to using the shrewed pumps.

Goliard 4INT/2macc = 4macc. Pumps 4 Elemental magic skill.

not to mention the conserve mp and 3mab...

what part don't you get??

I edited my post before XD
Said that, we all know the complexity of INT/MATT difference, so it depends from your other equip. From my point of view, with my equip, I prefer goliard, also because of its mind, and mp recovered. I use that and save at least 2 space in my inv.
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 10:19:45  
for maxing out dmg i dont see them beating out yigit.
2MAB 3INT vs 3MAB
for a resist set tho, i can see them working better

they beat yigit overtime in accuracy and damage, and they beat goliard over time in damage.

Fairy.Yunachan said:
Edit:
Int 4 = matt 4
No.

I think some people are implying that 1int=1mab...
in which case the situation is definately different. however that is not the case. 3mab/4skill vs 3int 2mab damage will be marginally different. nuke vs nuke its not going to be as high as yigit of course, but in the end the pumps will win, in much the same fashion as sch will win over blm in the end.

However, As noted earlier in high skill, low int situations these may not be as desireable over goliard. but i consider sch always to be int heavy, and the choice of yigit gages over those +5mab gloves is a much much better choice, again with the damage difference being even more marginal in comparison to shrewd pumps/yigit feet.

Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 10:41:06  
Kujata.Argettio said:

You keep saying these upgrades are big deals, but they add up to making a difference.

You gain 1-2INT here, some macc there, and some MAB some where else and you are suddenly nuking for extra 100 damage.

A BLM with perfect gear got nothing in terms of damage from the mini expansions (except the hat which can be used in a day/weather build and possibly legs for MBing), whereas SCH got a new best item for the head/body/leg slot.

I am not sure what BLM is supposed to do/be if they aren't the best nuker. We have stun, but RDM/DRK is normally a better stunner due to the option to use CS (and RDM/BLM will get stun soon enough).

Each of the DDs have a niche which no other DD has, it maybe small but it is there (Argon, Tomahawk, SE BW, Feint etc) but BLMs niche was magical DD.

i stand by expansions are tiny upgrades for weak stuff.
As for the Niche, angon and tomahawk are very poor niches compared to blm. Blm have the better sleepga and hardest nuke(more global then those examples i think). sch is very limited when performing a role due to arts and charges.

if you manabombing a mob blm can spam its mp and kill it in seconds. The revers is true for sch, if mob lives long enough tho it will win, two different settings. Blm also has the better acc to boot.
Also buffs are not a niche for sch at all either, smn can do it(and so can anyone soon lol) so tossing sch into that as your solution is unfair ;/

If anything i think they should expand blm role a bit with something else more group oriented, so blm isn't outcast on those instances where magic dmg is trash. Saying you want to outclass on nukes just sounds greedy to me sorry ;x

EDIT: they dont beat yigit for dmg, unles you are trying to argue 1MAB beats out 3int? conserve mp will not save you, whats the math on conserve mp? 1mp/100mp for every 1 conserve mp? i forgot...ya they are a good inbetween pice if thats what you are saying?
 Kujata.Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-10 10:45:42  
Kujata.Argettio said:

the gap is closing yes, but I completely don't agree sch got anything extremely useful, or enough to be considered best head/body/leg slot. these are side-grades at best, and its not enough to outperform most pieces already in existence. shrewed pumps yes, the rest, no but even the pumps are negligible because of space issues/whatnot. when it comes down to it goliard are a nice all-around pair of boots and I can definitely see why people challenge shrewed with them in terms of multi-function.

Also, sch gets stun-ga btw, lol :) but i'm sure you already knew that, haha.

EDIT: they dont beat yigit for dmg, unles you are trying to argue 1MAB beats out 3int? conserve mp will not save you, whats the math on conserve mp? 1mp/100mp for every 1 conserve mp? i forgot...ya they are a good inbetween pice if thats what you are saying?

They do beat yigit for damage. at the end of a certain amount nukes, someone wearing the pumps will have enough mp for another nuke vs someone wearing yigit. you keep claiming conserve mp is luck, its not. its a quantifiable fact. and you must calculate the fact it will present itself.

Edit: the conserve mp on them while not the highest value, still needs to be accounted for, however, even if you discount that, the fact that these are more accurate than yigit will pull the numbers over time because it means less resists.
 Midgardsormr.Brayen
By Midgardsormr.Brayen 2010-03-10 10:58:06  
Kujata.Tsuki said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

the gap is closing yes, but I completely don't agree sch got anything extremely useful, or enough to be considered best head/body/leg slot. these are side-grades at best, and its not enough to outperform most pieces already in existence. shrewed pumps yes, the rest, no but even the pumps are negligible because of space issues/whatnot. when it comes down to it goliard are a nice all-around pair of boots and I can definitely see why people challenge shrewed with them in terms of multi-function.

They do beat yigit for damage. at the end of a certain amount nukes, someone wearing the pumps will have enough mp for another nuke vs someone wearing yigit. you keep claiming conserve mp is luck, its not. its a quantifiable fact. and you must calculate the fact it will present itself.

Edit: the conserve mp on them while not the highest value, still needs to be accounted for, however, even if you discount that, the fact that these are more accurate than yigit will pull the numbers over time because it means less resists.

yes but look at the quote form wiki:
"With a base activation rate of 25%, Conserve MP allows you to retain approximately 7 MP for every 100 MP spent. The actual amount retained may vary. " that is with conserve mp+25
the boots are what? +2? so whats 2% conserve mp? less then 1mp/100mp? i don't see that making any difference at all ;x
EDIT: if ur taking acc into account u would not use yigit tho, again depends what your fighting and your gear, if i need macc I'm on clogs, that's why i compared to both of these
 Asura.Farel
サーバ: Asura
user: Farel
By Asura.Farel 2010-03-10 11:00:05  
Kujata.Tsuki said:

Well Stun-ga is already a reality i mean with /drk but i don't know a lot of sch who /drk all the time