users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Furniture questions
Furniture questions
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2010-02-23 03:35:46  
So, as I'm approaching the higher end smithing, I've known there are two pieces of furniture for each craft - a signboard and an item that applies (an Anvil, for me).

Aside from the fun of having them (and having spent the gil!) is there a benefit to having them both? The comment I read on wiki says:

Quote:
Having the Blacksmith's Signboard along with the Mastersmith's Anvil will remove Moghancement: Smithing and replace it with Moglification: Smithing. If you have only one of the two items, you will only have Moghancement: Smithing. The description for the Moglification: Smithing key item indicates that it gives you additional skill as well as reducing the amount of materials lost on broken synths.

Assuming that's correct, is it worth the ~1m gil it's going to take to get the sign? Since getting the moghancement: fire is pretty easy, if I don't need the +1 from the furniture, I'm guessing 95% of the time having spent 200k GP would just be a waste.

Also, if I were to get this (which includes the reduced material loss on breaks) would I be correct in switching my mh back to a moghancement: desynth setup when I want to do a desynth, or would the Moglification cover that scenario as well?
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2010-02-23 03:40:11  
This is something that I would like to have clarified also. Normally, you may only ever have one Moghancement at a time, the highest amount of Moghancement being the one that takes precedence. Therefore, having 15 items that grant Moghancement: Gardening and only one signboard, would you have to remove all your other furniture to recieve the Moghancement: Signboard or would you have two Moghancements? On the flip side, does the signboard take precedence and despite a full Mog House of furniture, would the Signboard take precedence you lose any other Moghancements you have? Some clarification would be appreciated.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-23 03:55:43  
I could be wrong, as I have neither of my crafts Signboard or Craft specific item, but the way I've heard it is that the Moglification is a Key Item that you have while you have both the Sign + Whatever (in this case it would be the Sign + Anvil).

I've heard nothing about it needing to be/have a dominating element in your MH. As I said though, I can't talk from personal experience~
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2010-02-23 04:01:29  
That would make more sense with it being a Key Item separate from the Moghancement currently active. Otherwise, the spent guild points would become moot, or you would have to completely empty your storage to have the Signboard take effect, which would break most players with any kind of gear hoard.
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-02-23 04:02:32  
having only one or the other can give your house moghancement: craft, which is only receiving +1 skill. where having both can give you moglifitcation: craft, which is getting +1 skill and decreasing chance of losing materials on synthesis breaks. and by can, i mean if you let it be the overwhelming moghancement. the enhancement (either moghancement or moglification) works outside of mog anywhere, as its a key item always with you. and as for having other furniture, it can be tricky to let the moghancement take precedence, and instead of trying to explain, heres the wiki:

When you have more than one possible Moghancement for the dominant element in your layout, you still only get one Moghancement. You will get the Moghancement of the furniture with the highest element strength rating among those of the dominant element. This is determined individually, so having multiples of the same furniture will not "overcome" the strength rating of another piece. If the highest element strength is a tie between two different Moghancements, you will get neither and you end up with the elemental Moghancement of the dominant element.

For example, let's say the dominant element in your layout is Earth. If you have a Workbench (Earth +6), a Brass Flowerpot (Earth +1) and a Yellow Jar (Earth +2), you will get the Moghancement associated with the furniture with the strongest elemental influence: the Workbench with Moghancement: Gardening.

And as a second example, let's say the dominant element in your layout is again Earth. If you have a Bahut (Earth +10, Moghancement: Gardening), and a Carpenter's Signboard (Earth +10, Moghancement: Woodworking Skill), you will get the Moghancement associated with the element: Moghancement: Earth.

Seraph.Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2010-02-23 04:09:41  
So you would have to tailor which pieces of furniture you have in your house around the Signboard for it to be effective. This could become problematic for people who have a decent amount of elemental strength to their furniture.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-02-23 04:22:59  
Seraph.Kyaaadaa said:
So you would have to tailor which pieces of furniture you have in your house around the Signboard for it to be effective. This could become problematic for people who have a decent amount of elemental strength to their furniture.

not to mention some ppl keep a different set of furniture on hand for desynthesis of certain things. from what i hear having overwhelming: element of the crystal for said certain things, your desynthing is a lot more effective than moghancement desynth. and having overwhelming anything takes a lot of storage, usually massive amount of layout, and pretty expensive.
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2010-02-23 09:01:40  
I have two sets currently:

Desynth (total aura 104)
1x Thurible
16x Console

Fire (total aura 102)
10x Totem Pole
Misc Junk

When I want to switch between the two, I just put down one of the other Misc Junk fire based items I have, and voila, I'm switched over. Or, as a bonus, I have a noble's bed (that's lightning based) and when that gets placed, I have overwhelming experience saving - handy for those times when you go afk while farming :P

But anyway .... anyone know the answers to my questions? @Kyaaadaa - Blurr quoted the wiki page, they have a pretty good writeup on how most of this works. Blazza also answered a lot of questions in this post: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=3130
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-02-23 23:57:42  
if the question your asking is, will moglification or moghancement smithing help with desynthing, the answer is no. only thing that will help desynth is moghancement desynth (improves the chances of successfully desynthing), or mogancement element of the desynth crystal (decreases chances of losing materials on crystal break). and as for the descrease in chances of losing materials from moglification.. i really dont know. for me personally it seems worthless, but thats just me. even with moglification AND artisans advantage, i still lose beads damn near 100% on staff breaks for ww >.>