A Time For Change In My Life. Need Some Opinions Or Thoughts Please! [Navy]

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
A time for change in my life. Need some opinions or thoughts please! [Navy]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 16 17 18
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 19:09:48  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Quote:
First thing you should learn in the military. As far as the higher ups and outside people are concerned if it's on paper that's how it happened. Even if they know it isn't. And usually it isn't. I can't tell you how many documents I faked and even made fake proof that it happened and such lol just because they wanted to see happy paperwork on stuff so they can tell people yeah here is proof everything is running right/wrong
and thats why the military is a corrupt organ of an overreaching nation
Well that and the demand for proof of everything in triplicate in ways that make no sense.

I litterally spent 40+ hours working on just my divisions training a month when we only did 4 hours of divisional training a month. And that wasn't me working on the training or doing it that was just the paper work proving we had done it and it had been effective but not too good cause they obviously I hadn't made a hard enough test... it was rediculous.

And poor leadership which is a result of making good people leave and the bad ones just eventually get rank lol
 Phoenix.Airbag
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:10:27  
is it hard to read what i type somewhat seriously with a dog wearing a lobster costume as my avatar
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:12:15  
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Well that and the demand for proof of everything in triplicate in ways that make no sense.

I litterally spent 40+ hours working on just my divisions training a month when we only did 4 hours of divisional training a month. And that wasn't me working on the training or doing it that was just the paper work proving we had done it and it had been effective but not too good cause they obviously I hadn't made a hard enough test... it was rediculous.

And poor leadership which is a result of making good people leave and the bad ones just eventually get rank lol

i think we share a lot of opinions on the miltary
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 19:13:11  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
do you think its our place to be the ones trying to change their CULTURE sev?
Even if it was it would be stupid to try.

Look at conquering countries in the past. The ones that tried to dominate and change the culture completely always lead to civil unrest and rebellion. The ones that let them keep there culture or work with it to adapt them together worked fine and became part of the country/empire
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:14:34  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
do you think its our place to be the ones trying to change their CULTURE sev?
Even if it was it would be stupid to try. Look at conquering countries in the past. The ones that tried to dominate and change the culture completely always lead to civil unrest and rebellion. The ones that let them keep there culture or work with it to adapt them together worked fine and became part of the country/empire

you'd think we'd have noticed huh
 Siren.Avina
サーバ: Siren
user: Avina
By Siren.Avina 2010-08-20 19:15:56  
(I haven't read all of the posts in this topic, I've read some, and the OP fully)

I was faced with the similar situation as you are now although people were telling me to join the Airforce instead. But military is a route you should only take if you really, really want to or if you are absolutely desperate. You have to consider that once you go in its very difficult to get out and you may be forced to do things that you may or may not agree with. A friend of mine went Airforce and while he enjoys it, there are a lot of limits that he has and he can't do all that he wants anymore, even something as small as having a Facebook.

But there is a shift in mindset and a bit of brutal truth I think that you first have to accept and was also an issue that I had.
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Yes... flipping burgers for 7.15$ an hour at 20 hours a week is beneath me period. It's not where i belong and I'm a better person than that entails. There is no quality of life in that.

And at one point I felt this way about myself too. But after graduating from college, where I lived in Japan for six months, spoke Japanese, studied computer programming and computational neuroscience, I was all set to go on to work for a couple years and book my way to graduate school. But the economy popped around that time and I couldn't get a job doing what I wanted to do, and, just like you, believed that some jobs were underneath me. This was a mindset that really didn't help me very much, because nothing really makes it sink in how much BS that mindset is when you spend a year unemployed.

The fact of the matter is, and it's one that you have to accept, if you are sitting around unemployed you can't really say that flipping burgers isn't worth your time. You can't get a job, you need money, and like the rest of the people in the world, you need to do what you need to do to make ends meet. The way I finally got the job I have today, which is a solid research position with incredible benefits and will be the position I will take to graduate school, was that I finally sucked it up and got over myself and got off FFXI and spent at least eight hours a day sitting and plugging away in an internet cafe applying to every single job that I could find. Things I knew that were below what I was capable of, and if I got a job offer from one of those I would've taken it. I wasn't going to have any choice.

I don't mean to rag on you, if it comes off that way. It wasn't exactly fun for me to realize that I spent years of my life working my butt off at college to not get the job I wanted. But the fact of the matter is sometimes you have to settle, maybe for a short time, in order to create new options. Working at McDonalds, you could bank some money and start going back to classes.

For someone who is talented with computers and can put together some of the stuff that you have, there are more options for you than just to turn to the military. You may not get your choice job the first time around. But really the first step is getting over yourself, which is really not that fun to do, but if you don't, you are going to be stuck in a hole for a long time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:16:30  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
i edited my last post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

edit: because thats what it looks like youre saying, the US spends billions of dollars trying to preserve the CULTURE of native americans and what not, but we wont respect the islamic/vietnam/south pacific cultures and not *** with them cause we dont agree?

ahh haha yes noticed after i posted ignore it.
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

something something
show us the pictures you took over there!
interesting ones plz nothing bloody.

some of them are on my myspace

umlink.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:19:04  
I hope we get *** by some huge astroid in 2012 :| and let the crab people take our place
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-20 19:19:55  
Phoenix.Darki said:

umlink.

pmed
By chichi 2010-08-20 19:20:41  
Siren.Avina said:
(I haven't read all of the posts in this topic, I've read some, and the OP fully) I was faced with the similar situation as you are now although people were telling me to join the Airforce instead. But military is a route you should only take if you really, really want to or if you are absolutely desperate. You have to consider that once you go in its very difficult to get out and you may be forced to do things that you may or may not agree with. A friend of mine went Airforce and while he enjoys it, there are a lot of limits that he has and he can't do all that he wants anymore, even something as small as having a Facebook. But there is a shift in mindset and a bit of brutal truth I think that you first have to accept and was also an issue that I had.
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Yes... flipping burgers for 7.15$ an hour at 20 hours a week is beneath me period. It's not where i belong and I'm a better person than that entails. There is no quality of life in that.
And at one point I felt this way about myself too. But after graduating from college, where I lived in Japan for six months, spoke Japanese, studied computer programming and computational neuroscience, I was all set to go on to work for a couple years and book my way to graduate school. But the economy popped around that time and I couldn't get a job doing what I wanted to do, and, just like you, believed that some jobs were underneath me. This was a mindset that really didn't help me very much, because nothing really makes it sink in how much BS that mindset is when you spend a year unemployed. The fact of the matter is, and it's one that you have to accept, if you are sitting around unemployed you can't really say that flipping burgers isn't worth your time. You can't get a job, you need money, and like the rest of the people in the world, you need to do what you need to do to make ends meet. The way I finally got the job I have today, which is a solid research position with incredible benefits and will be the position I will take to graduate school, was that I finally sucked it up and got over myself and got off FFXI and spent at least eight hours a day sitting and plugging away in an internet cafe applying to every single job that I could find. Things I knew that were below what I was capable of, and if I got a job offer from one of those I would've taken it. I wasn't going to have any choice. I don't mean to rag on you, if it comes off that way. It wasn't exactly fun for me to realize that I spent years of my life working my butt off at college to not get the job I wanted. But the fact of the matter is sometimes you have to settle, maybe for a short time, in order to create new options. Working at McDonalds, you could bank some money and start going back to classes. For someone who is talented with computers and can put together some of the stuff that you have, there are more options for you than just to turn to the military. You may not get your choice job the first time around. But really the first step is getting over yourself, which is really not that fun to do, but if you don't, you are going to be stuck in a hole for a long time.

clinpachi 7.15$ an hour is better then no $$ an hour..and I know you probably didn't mean to word it this way but saying "there is no quality of life in that" for some people just putting in a hard days work even if it's for low wages is quality of life depending on where they come from.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 19:21:43  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Well that and the demand for proof of everything in triplicate in ways that make no sense. I litterally spent 40+ hours working on just my divisions training a month when we only did 4 hours of divisional training a month. And that wasn't me working on the training or doing it that was just the paper work proving we had done it and it had been effective but not too good cause they obviously I hadn't made a hard enough test... it was rediculous. And poor leadership which is a result of making good people leave and the bad ones just eventually get rank lol
i think we share a lot of opinions on the miltary
Well I think it's partly because alot of it isn't opinions. Or if it is it's based on very real problems that almost everyone can see. Except of course the hard core double diggets though most of them see it too
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:27:43  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
I hope we get *** by some huge astroid in 2012 :| and let the crab people take our place

no no
i wanna meet aliens first.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 19:29:11  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
no no i wanna meet aliens first.
You are an alien!!!
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:30:10  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:

you think aliens wanna meet you?! :p
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 19:30:16  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
I hope it waits longer. Cause I wont have no where near enough time to make enough money so I can build my underground end of the world bunker in a volcano in Iceland
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 19:31:50  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:

you think aliens wanna meet you?! :p

pfft
they want to breed with me babe!~
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 19:43:15  
no.. obviously its going to be a female dominant society and they will only want skinny men who spend their free time fighting internet pixies.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-08-20 19:52:27  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
First off, lolNavy.

Sorry. As a Marine I have to say it.

Haha I knew something was wrong with you just by reading your posts. Semper Fi, killer.

And, @OP:

I don't know if I can explain this accurately, but developing a healthy sense of "real life vs whateveryou'redoingatthetime," can be pretty useful. For example, at first, for me at MCRD, if felt like the rest of my life would be boot camp. That's pretty rough on a guy. But the more I thought about, the more I realized that yes, I will drink another beer. I will have fun. I will do whatever. It helped thinking that it was just something to do in the meantime - not what I would always be doing.

It's kind of like picking up dog ***. You (likely) aren't a dog ***picker upper. Sometimes, though, you have to pick up dog ***. That THIS chore is months, not minutes, long doesn't really matter.

I feel like an idiot - I don't think I explained that right... FFS.
 Fenrir.Magicjunkie
By Fenrir.Magicjunkie 2010-08-20 20:12:19  
Fenrir.Terminus said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
First off, lolNavy.

Sorry. As a Marine I have to say it.

Haha I knew something was wrong with you just by reading your posts. Semper Fi, killer.

And, @OP:

I don't know if I can explain this accurately, but developing a healthy sense of "real life vs whateveryou'redoingatthetime," can be pretty useful. For example, at first, for me at MCRD, if felt like the rest of my life would be boot camp. That's pretty rough on a guy. But the more I thought about, the more I realized that yes, I will drink another beer. I will have fun. I will do whatever. It helped thinking that it was just something to do in the meantime - not what I would always be doing.

It's kind of like picking up dog ***. You (likely) aren't a dog ***picker upper. Sometimes, though, you have to pick up dog ***. That THIS chore is months, not minutes, long doesn't really matter.

I feel like an idiot - I don't think I explained that right... FFS.

seems like your trying to say enjoy the little things because no matter how shitty something is its still your life
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-08-20 20:23:05  
Fenrir.Magicjunkie said:
seems like your trying to say enjoy the little things because no matter how shitty something is its still your life

Sorta. I mean don't sweat almost ANYTHING, because no matter how stupid it may be, it won't define you.
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-08-20 20:46:16  
Also thought of something else. This may or may not be true for other people, but one of the coolest parts of my experience as a Marine was that (could apply to other branches, for sure) I always got better. Like, something that was difficult to learn at MOS school was second nature a few months in. Or being exhausted after one day of hard work at age 20, but doing the same for 4 days with no sleep at 23.

Those sorts of things I am very lucky to have.
 Remora.Gempig
サーバ: Remora
user: Gempig
By Remora.Gempig 2010-08-20 20:47:18  
you could consider me one of those low IQ people, but your asking people on a forum for life advice, who has the low IQ now?
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-20 22:01:47  
Remora.Gempig said:
you could consider me one of those low IQ people, but your asking people on a forum for life advice, who has the low IQ now?

see, low IQ right thur. hur dur hurr.
 Remora.Gempig
サーバ: Remora
user: Gempig
By Remora.Gempig 2010-08-20 22:07:03  
that was really funny darki, i think you've ran out of things to say while trolling
 Asura.Poupee
サーバ: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-08-20 22:08:03  
Im looking to go into the navy toooo! twins.(no joke either...)
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 22:10:56  
we decided the military was evil poupee. im afraid i cant let you do that
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-20 22:11:00  
Asura.Poupee said:

You're too thin!
 Bismarck.Xdudemanx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: xdudemanx
By Bismarck.Xdudemanx 2010-08-20 22:11:16  
ya know playing video games all the time isnt all the bad...although it does get old but if u like doing it than stick with it...its one of the few things that keeps me going...i had the thought of going into the army/navy or something but im not taking anyones life..although if u wanna shoot guns and watch ***blow up than by all means go for it...if i were u id follow my dreams..save up some money and do it...if going to the navy will help u get that money than its win win
 Asura.Poupee
サーバ: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-08-20 22:12:47  
Phoenix.Airbag said:
but but but ; ; its the navy
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Asura.Poupee said:

You're too thin!
you're too black!
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-20 22:14:30  
Asura.Poupee said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:
but but but ; ; its the navy
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Asura.Poupee said:

You're too thin!
you're too black!

But with my dark skin and potentially authoritative voice, I'd make a great Sargent! All the great sargents in video games are black guys!
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 16 17 18