フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The Haitians Had It Coming
The Haitians Had It Coming
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-01-17 17:27:18  
Fenrir.Ktjrn said:
The text messages from Yele are official, not a scam. I work @ AT&T and Wyclef Jean (of hip-hop group the Fugees)has teamed up with some charities and organizations for funding for the country of Haiti. There are also 2 other official text message organizations that are also being sent to people and passed along.

Just to eliminate the confusion, I'd go to a new site like CNN and type in the organization in the text to confirm it's real :) That way you don't donate to a scam.

I'm glad I dont recieve text messages like these, otherwise I'd be furious about having to read that *** and would immediately call my service provider to cancel my service.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-01-17 17:30:55  
Shiva.Drteeth said:
Go listen to The Fugees.

EXPAND YOUR MUSICAL HORIZONS. lawl

Srsly, the fugees. Type in youtube click on a random song, you'll recognize it.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-17 17:31:23  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
only in times of mass tragedy do people start to care. No one gave a rat flying ***about Haiti, now alla sudden the whole world is focused on them, I guess people have guilty consciences to cleanse.

This.

I was not really talking about that, he makes sense. But remember there was people willing to help before that. I get it but... still, just saying some places were not like that. Haiti was not always in poverty... just so you know. ***happens, corrupt government. Oh and like was said, you see people helping now yeah... people were already there helping. USA and UN also sent help to those Asian countries when that incident happened to them.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-17 17:33:21  
Oh just so you guys know ,I am sorry for sounding like I had a sick up my ***.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-17 17:52:39  
they should block the comments on youtube.....
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-17 17:54:24  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Well, according to Pat Robertson anyway...

you can't take these old geezers seriously
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-01-17 18:02:09  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
I was not really talking about that, he makes sense. But remember there was people willing to help before that. I get it but... still, just saying some places were not like that. Haiti was not always in poverty... just so you know. ***happens, corrupt government. Oh and like was said, you see people helping now yeah... people were already there helping. USA and UN also sent help to those Asian countries when that incident happened to them.

I was not really talking about your comment.

Yes, of course people were there helping before this happened, and they should be commended more than they are. But half the charities and organizations and even individual people who are preaching about helping Haiti wouldn't give a rat's *** if this tragic thing didn't happen.

How many of those people who blindly text message their money away didn't realize it'll be on their phone bill at the end of the month? How many of them (or their parents) are going to call up and complain that their bill is 5-10 bucks higher than normal? How many of them are gonna be pissed off that it was THEIR money that was donated, and not money that just flew out of the Red Cross's ***?

Kungfuhustle got it right.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-17 18:06:24  
yes I know, he was right. I thought the same thing too, was not that comment of his i responded to really.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-01-17 18:42:36  
Not sure how bad this is, but here's a story about Wyclef Jean's charity thangers that's been going around recently with the news of Haiti donations: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0115102wyclef1.html

Quote:
In August 2009, the group filed overdue tax returns for 2005, 2006, and 2007, documents showing that Jean and fellow board member Jerry Duplessis paid themselves at least $410,000 for services provided to the foundation. Duplessis, a bass player who has toured with Jean, co-owns a New York City recording studio with the performer, as well as a Haiti-based production company.
I'm not sure what's "normal" in these kind of situations for charities, but supposedly Bush Sr., Clinton and Gore never took any money at all from any of their work, so it's something to consider. Not that anyone shouldn't donate, but maybe it's better to consider using Red Cross from the banner ad.
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-17 18:49:27  
I'd trust an international relief organization that's been around for ages more than some musical artist that is supposedly from Haiti.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-18 17:19:42  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Not sure how bad this is, but here's a story about Wyclef Jean's charity thangers that's been going around recently with the news of Haiti donations: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0115102wyclef1.html

Quote:
In August 2009, the group filed overdue tax returns for 2005, 2006, and 2007, documents showing that Jean and fellow board member Jerry Duplessis paid themselves at least $410,000 for services provided to the foundation. Duplessis, a bass player who has toured with Jean, co-owns a New York City recording studio with the performer, as well as a Haiti-based production company.
I'm not sure what's "normal" in these kind of situations for charities, but supposedly Bush Sr., Clinton and Gore never took any money at all from any of their work, so it's something to consider. Not that anyone shouldn't donate, but maybe it's better to consider using Red Cross from the banner ad.

He denied using it for personal stuff, either he lied, or he is telling the truth.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/18/news/international/wyclef_haiti/index.htm?hpt=T2
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-18 17:26:47  
Hmmm... If Joseph Etienne was still around this probably would never have happened. What I mean is the mess going on in Haiti with no help, or the hell it is going through right now. fighting, corruption, *** I mean it all. All those people can do is hold to prayer and faith, and that is the type of person the person I am talking about was. Things seem out of order around there, it sucks just looking at it.