New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Sidewinder gear
Sidewinder gear
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-08 11:47:59  
Aside from the obvious (2x Triumph earring, Flame ring, and HQ staff) anything you guys think I need to upgrade for Sidewinder?

Caitsith.Ilolatyou
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2010-01-08 11:56:08  
An appropriate sea gorget (Breeze/Aqua/Light).
 Kujata.Kazo
サーバ: Kujata
user: Shoh
By Kujata.Kazo 2010-01-08 12:08:38  
Skadi's Bazubands

Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-08 12:53:51  
H. Haidate prob not gonna happen lol.

Forgot about the gorget >.<

Skadi is out of my reach now too since I don't have time to do Salvage.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
 Ragnarok.Shaydow
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Shaydow
By Ragnarok.Shaydow 2010-01-08 13:34:15  
I Did the 2 new Goaf and Goblintrap, Agi +8, 1 rac and 1 ratk, can't go wrong with those. Of course good luck with them 1/33 1/29 :3
 Asura.Cyssero
サーバ: Asura
user: Miliani85
By Asura.Cyssero 2010-01-08 13:48:35  
Nothing is wrong with your gear. You mentioned the upgrades you could do and the one's out of your reach, so only thing I see that hasn't been mentioned by you or anoyone else would be to get the E/V bow.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-08 13:53:52  
I may be completely wrong here, as I haven't quite tested it, but I believe that for Sidewinder, with its abnormally high fTP modifier (5.00), adding in a gorget is only going to increase your damage by 2%. You might be better off with, say, Hope Torque for its 5 AGI, 6 R.Attack, and 6 R.ACC.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-08 13:58:21  
Ptr.Prt. Arrow is nice for unlimited shot > SW imo. I've lost 3 of those so far though coz lag in macro lol
 Titan.Catsby
サーバ: Titan
user: Catsby
By Titan.Catsby 2010-01-08 13:58:48  
situations, variables and such yes. Sidewinder is a *** sometimes so I tend to rebuild my macros for all sorts of mobs. I've found that slots with extremely high loads of racc are invaluable. I see you have salade, which is amazing for sidewinder (assuming you took racc out the butt augments), but you may want to invest in other slots that offer huge racc boosts.

some suggestions;

behemoth ring +1
jaeger mantle
trailer kukri
peacock charm or element gorget

my slugshot/sidewinder macro for most things looks something like this;

head: salade
neck: breeze gorget
ear1: delta earring
ear2: triumph earring
body: wardecors
hands: seiryu's kote
ring1: behemoth ring +1 (trying to get these augmented with str/agi)
ring2: behemoth ring +1
back: jaeger mantle / amemet +1 depending upon mob
waist: buccaneer's belt
legs: p.seraweels/scout's braccae depending upon mob
feet: skadi's jambeaux

I also play very aggressively. If it's a weak mob I try to tank. If it's a boss I try to get to hate cap just after the tanks and either log/zone or get myself killed to clear hate. I dump TP as soon as possible, which is why I value the racc over str or ratk.

hope that offers some insight..
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-01-08 14:33:09  
Unless you're capped on ranged attack vs the mob, w hands will put out better numbers than kote (only for archery). Just depends if you need that extra accuracy from them. Only other thing I see is the blue pants from assaults as an easy upgrade. Something no one else has said is scout's belt, not sure if you have a capable dyna ls but thought I'd mention it.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-08 14:34:30  
with Ptr.Prt. Arrow you get RACC +40 for free though!
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-08 14:37:26  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
with Ptr.Prt. Arrow you get RACC 40 for free though!
Recast time on Unlimited Shot is 2:30 minimum though. Probably fire off 5 Sidewinders in that time and only 1 of them will be with Ptr.Prt. Arrow.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-11 09:40:54  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
with Ptr.Prt. Arrow you get RACC 40 for free though!
Already fired away 2 of these and I am trying to build my CP back up for another.

Also have W hands already, which I use for TP
 Fenrir.Shambo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-01-11 10:22:16  
Nice gear bruh!
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-01-16 03:00:44  
W hands are both a tp and ws piece for archery.
 Leviathan.Tealsic
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-16 03:06:50  
Assuming you in a sea ls Hope Torque is prett Smexy >8D
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [66 days between previous and next post]
By Kittona 2010-03-23 09:52:20  
Hello everyone, I have a question about RNG, Sidewinder and my gear set up. My main is Sam, and I have /rng'ed on it plenty of times, so I feel I know rng as a sub pretty well. I found myself in some prrretty fast lvl'ing parties as of late and am now 65lv. The sad thing is that I am not sure how to equipe my RNG very well for WS's (Sidewinder and Slugshot). My gear consist of:

V-bow + Scorpion arrows
Trailer's Kukri + Fransisca

*Head- Hunter's beret
*Body- Hunter's jerkin
*Hands/Legs/Feet- Jaridah gear
*waist- Precise belt
*back- Amemet mantle

*Rings- Raja's + Garrulous
*earrings- Vision + Drone
*Neck- Spectacles

What can I add to my gear setup that can improve my sidewinder damage which seems to be holding @900+ dmg.
Any feedback would help. Thank you!
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-03-23 14:29:13  
Kittona said:
Hello everyone, I have a question about RNG, Sidewinder and my gear set up. My main is Sam, and I have /rng'ed on it plenty of times, so I feel I know rng as a sub pretty well. I found myself in some prrretty fast lvl'ing parties as of late and am now 65lv. The sad thing is that I am not sure how to equipe my RNG very well for WS's (Sidewinder and Slugshot). My gear consist of:

V-bow Scorpion arrows (swap to Demon Arrow for WS's (might be costly))
Trailer's Kukri Fransisca (Fire/Vulcan's Staff + Axe Grip, if you are confident with your RAcc (Vulcan's is a little expensive).)

*Head- Hunter's beret

*Body- Hunter's jerkin (Black Cotehardie if you're confident with your RAcc.)

*Hands/Legs/Feet- Jaridah gear (Can full time the Hunter's Socks, AGI would give about the same RAcc as the Jaridah feet, and the +4 AGI will be useful for one of Sidewinder's modifiers.)

*waist- Precise belt (Royal Knight's Belt, if you're confident with your RAcc.)

*back- Amemet mantle (+1, if you have the cash.)

*Rings- Raja's Garrulous
*earrings- Vision Drone (I'd full time another Drone Earring.)
*Neck- Spectacles (I would full time Rangers Necklace.)

What can I add to my gear setup that can improve my sidewinder damage which seems to be holding @900 dmg.
Any feedback would help. Thank you!
Here ya go^^
 Unicorn.Rilu
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-03-25 12:09:32  
Unicorn.Excesspain said:
Aside from the obvious (2x Triumph earring, Flame ring, and HQ staff) anything you guys think I need to upgrade for Sidewinder?

Scouts belt > Bucc Belt (i'm upset I wasted the points on the Bucc belt, at least I got to test) - but everything else has already been said. Sidewinder gear is always up for tweaking - depending on what you will be fighting. Food choices/ring choices/ etc will vary depending on foe. I carry both Behemoths +1 and Flame rings for macro choices, depending on how my ACC is versus different mobs.
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Vyenpakakapaka 2010-03-26 12:48:43  
*rubs chin* I've always wondered...isn't AGI a higher mod on Sidewinder than STR? Wouldn't you wanna stick with your drone earrings?

You give up the base R.ATK bonus from STR (which I know does double duty -- increases attack and your mod), but the Agility has a bigger impact on the mod and helps your accuracy out some. I've stuck with Behemoth+1 Rings (because I am cheap and don't get to pull RNG out enough...), but if I was tossing out 22 accuracy I'd wanna make up for it somewhere.

Even with the WS.Accuracy+15 from the Salade (I was dumb, I got Damage, /cry), you're at -7 in the pure accuracy stat alone, plus...what, another -3 accuracy from going STR earrings over AGI?

I ask because I'm curious, not because I've been playing around with both setups. The closest comparison I had was when I god the River/Wood/Nature Clomps for Tarutaru. The STR+4 from those resulted in similar (less than 1% difference, and not always higher) damage to wearing...I guess it was the RNG AF boots that have the AGI bonus there.

The S.Kote has four more accuracy (five? four?) over the deadeye gloves I use...I dunno though. The WS is notoriously inaccurate.

Sorry for thinking out loud the whole post. XD I see RNG pimp out the STR stat, which makes sense for certain reasons, but I wonder about the accuracy. (I've consistently missed Sidewinder with a full Accuracy set-up, with a Selene's Bow in the +25 accuracy moon phase, on birds at a level nearer to the high point for the camp. /sadface)
By Kittona 2010-03-29 07:36:43  
Thank you very much for your time and help
 Unicorn.Rilu
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-03-29 12:02:08  
No, if you look at the equations that are around, with Sidewinder, added STR will give more of an impact for WS damage modifier than AGI will.

Ranged Damage = WD * PDIF = ((D + fSTR2 + WSC) * fTP) * PDIF

Give this a read through - explains it pretty well. It is old, but explains weapon skill formulas pretty decently.

http://klin304.homestead.com/files/FFXI/WSDanalysisdata.htm

If you notice in the equation, STR factors into the "WSC", fSTR2 and PDIF whereas Agi only will factor into the WSC portion of the equation.

The key is the ranged attack though (pdif) - Ranged Attack is really the only way to pump up your numbers on the high Def mobs that really matter. I mean, do we really care if our sidewinder does 2500 dmg or 2000 dmg on a Greater Colibri? the thing is still dead either way when we hit it with the SW at like 50%. That is why you will see your numbers go WAY up when you add a bard/cor to your party. Also, that is why rangers favor Meat as food, when accuracy isn't an issue.

- shameless plug - Buy my Red Curry Buns - i'll sell them for 25K less a stack if you msg me in game!
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-03-29 13:22:53  
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?fjob=7&mid=1161924072301798838&num=121&page=1

Posts are a little old, but still viable. For sidewinder you should be stacking as much STR as your RACC can actually handle. The more Str and ratt you stack the better off youre going to be.

Qiqirn Collar - 1.88% SW, 1.78% SS
Elemental Gorgets - 1.94% both
Hope Torque - 2.28% SW, 0.90% SS
Faith Torque - 1.56% SS only
Justice Torque - 2.56% SW, 2.41% SS

Justice > Hope > Ele Gorget > QQ collar.

Lose the drone earrings and go with +str or ratt.
Quote:
Also, that is why rangers favor Meat as food, when accuracy isn't an issue.

Accuracy is always an issue with sidewinder. It's racc is so wildly variable, you will easily miss a west ronfaure rabbit as much a syou will miss Kirin/PW/anything. It's the main reason that most of us are using Pot-au-feu(+1) instead of meats.
 Leviathan.Kosal
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kosal
By Leviathan.Kosal 2010-04-23 19:26:44  
Along the same lines here is what I have:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=152800

Currently working on getting SKote,Scout's Belt and another Triumph earring. Aside from that, in your opinions what upgrades should I make in general?
 Carbuncle.Laitha
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-23 22:45:28  
Leviathan.Kosal said:
Along the same lines here is what I have:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=152800

Currently working on getting SKote,Scout's Belt and another Triumph earring. Aside from that, in your opinions what upgrades should I make in general?

It would be easy for you to get an Anwig Salade to replace your wyvern helm if you wanted to use it for Sidewinder. You could also look into getting a torque if that is within your means like Aryden was saying.
 Sylph.Nightcrew
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nightcrew
By Sylph.Nightcrew 2010-04-24 10:40:45  
I can't remember where I saw it, but I think I saw someone say Ratk is better then Str. Is that true? I would think you would want Ratk for TP and Str for WS.

What would be better Rutter vs War Boots (yes, I know, Scouts Socks, but I don't have a Dyna LS right now) and Hunters Beret (AMK head taken for Blm) vs Wyvern Helm for both TP and/or WS.
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-04-24 14:04:11  
if i remember correctly, you need to add 2 str to get the effect of 1 ratt. I will have to look it up later. But the gist is, if you can pile on a high amount of ratt, then do so, then add str everywhere else. You will notice more of a difference in your base dmg against high defense mobs with more ratt.