Custom Firmware On PSP3000?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Custom Firmware on PSP3000?
Custom Firmware on PSP3000?
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 23:55:53  
MagicGate unknown.

Edit: read up online, supposedly it's a problem with this wire. Too bad I only have this one @.@
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-09 00:01:13  
Sounds like a Chinese off brand mimicking Sony's name then. ):

I had one of these, in fact when I first got my PSP I pretty much did EXACTLY what you are now... I had a battery that I ended up NEVER using, and a memory stick that rarely worked. I wonder if we bought from the same people. If you can't even transfer files to the PSP right now because of that card then that is worse off then what I got. Awfully sorry about your tough luck so far. ):

It's up to you if you wanna keep trying, but I'd recommend buying a small memory stick off Amazon and getting ChickHEN running to determine your motherboard if you plan to keep going.

I hope you have better luck if you decide to keep trying.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-01-09 00:08:17  
fyi, I've been loading ChickHEN on a PSP 3000 from a 32GB memory stick... So I don't think the size of the memory card has much impact. It seems much easier to activate ChickHEN when the PSP is plugged in and fully charged (ans also when it's been freshly reset to factory default settings, that seems to help). It's kind of annoying to having to redo the same thing, and some new games don't work on firmware 5.03 (Gran Turismo for example), however, there are ways to patch them so they will...

If you're an avid PSP fan, you will probably want to get a PSPGo for legit games and a PSP1000 or the first models of 2000 which you could flash permanently with custom firmware without bricking.

It may be a LONG while before there's a way to permanently flash the newer motherboards. ChickHEN being an alternative, but certainly not convenient.

Edit: For anyone with a PSP3000 and wondering what ChickHEN is, it's a buffer overflow hack. It was discovered that official firmware 5.03 had a flaw that allowed to trigger a memory overflow when loading a series of picture's thumbnails followed by a TIFF image containing "corrups" data, and that it was possible to take advantage of this to overwrite parts of the RAM that could not be accessed otherwise.

Activating this hack would basically make the OS crash and reboot in a different mode (provided from the data contained in the fake TIFF file). From there, it later became possible to use a custom firmware version 5.03 to play commercial PSP games. The firmware cannot (and you should not attempt to) be flashed permanently without making your PSP3000 unusable.

As stated previously, the disadvantage is having to reactivate ChickHEN everytime the PSP runs out of battery or gets turned off by mistake (my friends, family, girlfriend, all turned it off at least one, thinking it would make me happy).

The advantage, if you only have money to buy one PSP... is that you don't have to worry about bricking it or becoming unable to use your original UMDs because they have protection and are refusing to boot... However... who plays PSP games from a UMD (translate: HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE load times) anyway... >.>
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-09 00:10:39  
I didn't mean to imply that the size mattered, only that they are cheaper and are a great way to get ChickHEN loaded.

I had to format my large memory card everytime I wanted to load ChickHEN because it wouldn't load with all that other ***on there, so I bought a small card specifically for it.

That's why I recommended a small memory stick for him, I'm sorry if that wasn't understood.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-01-09 00:18:30  
Kujata.Erim said:
I had to format my large memory card everytime I wanted to load ChickHEN because it wouldn't load with all that other ***on there, so I bought a small card specifically for it.

Weird... I keep all my games/music/movies on that same card and never had an issue... Perhaps it's easier to load ChickHEN from a memory card that contains nothing else than the required files? I can remember spending hours trying to load it sometimes, but lately, I seem to have found the trick.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-09 08:52:32  
Alright, I used a new USB mini cable and managed to get chickHEN and CFW 5.03 gen C (Full) on it, have a few homebrew apps too.

Thanks for the help and dealing with my frustrations lol
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-09 09:11:17  
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me if you like, I don't mind.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-09 09:50:44  
OMG I FOUND A PDF READER!!!!!!!!

This is gonna be fun to experiment with.

Edit: also, it is entirely possible to play an iso. Just got it working.
 Siren.Ashkente
サーバ: Siren
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-09 12:10:35  
My 3000 is completely unhackable.
Has latest firmware, so chickhen doesn't work.

So there's still one UMD user, me.
When I have the spare benjamins I'll get a larger mem.stick and dload some stuff off psn.
Until then, its Ratchet/Clank and Yggdra Union for me. ^_^
 Shiva.Clowdd
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2010-01-09 12:22:55  
Siren.Ashkente said:
My 3000 is completely unhackable.
Has latest firmware, so chickhen doesn't work.

So there's still one UMD user, me.
When I have the spare benjamins I'll get a larger mem.stick and dload some stuff off psn.
Until then, its Ratchet/Clank and Yggdra Union for me. ^_^
Make that 2. I enjoy the games I have! PSN store has some good choices tho!
I got:
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Castlevania Dracula X
Final Fantasy Tactics (Fave)
Monster Hunter Freedom unite (umd)
Crisis Core (umd)
Assassins Creed (umd)
Dissidia

& there are loads of games to DL
 Siren.Ashkente
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-09 13:16:30  
I have SotN on 360, used to have it on disc.
Have original FFT disc.
Considered CrisisCore despite loathing FF7, and our local walmart sold out right after new years before my check cleared.

I'll probably trawl a Gamestop next time I get up to ABQ, living in a technologically backwards small town sucks, moreso when you don't have a car.

I want Jeanne d'Arc, so glad that's on PSN.
 Shiva.Clowdd
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2010-01-09 13:29:22  
SoTN is best castlevania EVAR!!!
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-09 14:25:36  
Bleh can't get ChickHEN to reload lol
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-01-12 15:54:30  
The idea of playing roms and such on a PSP sounds like fun, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble, frustration, and luck just to play them.

I'd rather just pop in a UMD, or play a game off PSN and just have them work and have some mindless fun for a little while then trying to half the time messing with some hack. But that's just me.

Clowdd: Is FF:Tactics off PSN the same as the orignal PS1 FFT? The Lion Wars was nice for the extra stuff, but I hate how they thought they needed to change the jobs, most of the item, spells, and ability names (not to mention removing any references to God).
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-12 16:00:38  
Once you understand how the hack works, its really no trouble at all. Getting through it your first time and having to learn through experience is what makes it frustrating, which I'm sure is what Sectumsempra experienced. The benefits of hacking my PSP makes playing the games on it more enjoyable, pirated or not. I own Monster Hunter Unite and I wouldn't want to play without the Plugin RemoteJoyLite ever unless I'm away from the house. The ability to stream my PSP games directly to my computer so that I can play with a PS3 Controller is freaking awesome.
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-12 16:25:01  
Don't forget to order some advil with that pandora battery. Sometimes hacking PSP firmware is straight evil. It almost never goes the same on any PSP.

I had three PSP-1000's in the same day all act differently using the same methods.

You have to be pretty tech savvy to even remotely get things right on any PSP modification.

Once you get it right though, piratebay.org is the sky and limit lol.

Save yourselves trouble and get a PSP-1000 if seriously wanting custom firmware. They don't look any less cool and the things you can do with them far surpass any point of getting a new 3000 or late 2000.

They are pretty cheap on ebay and hell even buy a bricked one along with a pandora battery. My fiance bought mine for my SUPER cheap on ebay because i knew i could fix it easy.
 Leviathan.Solare
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Solare
By Leviathan.Solare 2010-01-12 17:13:09  
Where can I get FFVII for the PSP2000? (I think mines a 2000, and unhacked) I wanna do this hacking thing, but.. never really ever looked into it.

I feel like such a newb when it comes to the PSP, as I brought the FFVII:CC PSP special, and didn't wanna mess with it.. lol.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-12 17:20:25  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Don't forget to order some advil with that pandora battery. Sometimes hacking PSP firmware is straight evil. It almost never goes the same on any PSP. I had three PSP-1000's in the same day all act differently using the same methods. You have to be pretty tech savvy to even remotely get things right on any PSP modification. Once you get it right though, piratebay.org is the sky and limit lol. Save yourselves trouble and get a PSP-1000 if seriously wanting custom firmware. They don't look any less cool and the things you can do with them far surpass any point of getting a new 3000 or late 2000. They are pretty cheap on ebay and hell even buy a bricked one along with a pandora battery. My fiance bought mine for my SUPER cheap on ebay because i knew i could fix it easy.

Could I do this with my PSP-1000 even if it's updated to the most recent firmware?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-12 19:13:49  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Could I do this with my PSP-1000 even if it's updated to the most recent firmware?

Yes I believe so. I think the 1000 is hackable no matter what firmware its running.

I don't own one however, so perhaps someone else has more accurate information?
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-12 19:38:48  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Don't forget to order some advil with that pandora battery. Sometimes hacking PSP firmware is straight evil. It almost never goes the same on any PSP. I had three PSP-1000's in the same day all act differently using the same methods. You have to be pretty tech savvy to even remotely get things right on any PSP modification. Once you get it right though, piratebay.org is the sky and limit lol. Save yourselves trouble and get a PSP-1000 if seriously wanting custom firmware. They don't look any less cool and the things you can do with them far surpass any point of getting a new 3000 or late 2000. They are pretty cheap on ebay and hell even buy a bricked one along with a pandora battery. My fiance bought mine for my SUPER cheap on ebay because i knew i could fix it easy.

As long as you have a pandora battery you can always downgrade/install custom firmware on a 1000 series. If its past 3.41 or something along those lines you have to have a pandora battery. If its below that you can do it without it i believe.

I would have to double check my accuracy on that since i'm speaking on something i haven't done for around a year now.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-13 09:33:51  
Ya I looked it up last night. 3.41 you just change out the Boot file.

Thanx and someday I'll have that darn battery.