Atheists Are Not Suicide Bombers.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Atheists are not Suicide Bombers.
Atheists are not Suicide Bombers.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 17:23:43  
You ever have those seasonal comic compilation comic books they had? The Halloween one was my all time favorite. It involved Garfield and his scheme for unlimited free candy, and Odie as his unwilling patsy. They end up in a haunted house that has ghost pirates and hidden pirate gold in it. Hilarity ensued.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
サーバ: Kujata
user: Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 17:28:21  
I've seen that one, good times! Ever see the stylized comic Davis did where Garfield was a saber-tooth style cat owned by a group of vikings thawed out in the present era? They had to normalize themselves, get jobs, get acquainted with modern social mores, etc. Spoiler alert - in the end unable to deal with the stresses of modern society they go all berserker on society.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 17:34:47  
OMG! I so have that one! I was a bit of a Garfield fanatic back in the day. Used to read them in the paper every morning.

I had another one that was just a random collection of the years of Garfield comics. Can't remember the title though :|

Was an awesome read though. Introduced Nermal and Arlene. Had an adventure where Pookie was a world famous explorer. Brilliant stuff.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 17:37:10  
Just looked it up, it was called Garfield's Nine Lives... I may have to go and get an old copy. I fell upon a lot of the collabs, and collections. I've not seen the Pookie world explorer - that sounds very cool I'll have to dig around for that...
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 17:42:53  
Wish I knew where I picked it up. I was living outside Edinburgh at the time. My sis picked it up on her way home one day and I kinda commandeered it :D

If I happen to find it, I'll post the title.

Also. Successful derail is successful. Thanks Hrolandus!
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2009-12-04 17:47:01  
I remember Garfield's Nine Lives! Awesome stuff there. Omg that brings back memories.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 17:47:39  
Excellent, I'll keep my eyes out for it. And fine work yourself, my good fellow!
 Kujata.Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 17:49:02  
Nymph, I'd even forgotten about the detective part, and the crazy Garfield incarnation that had killed its old lady owner until this conversation. So I have to say, for the memories, I love this thread...
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2009-12-04 17:56:13  
I know, used to have a copy as a kid and I loved it. I didn't remember most of the little stories, but thanks for reminding me of the cave people one. :D

I really need to find a new copy of it somewhere, lol!
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 18:02:27  
Garfield in Disguise was the title of that Halloween special. It's now sold as "Garfield's Halloween Adventure". Dunno why? o.o

And still can't find the one with Pookie as a world class explorer and daredevil :(.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 18:14:12  
Been googling the heck out of it, all I can find is a lot of wikis (waaay too many for just one comic, lol), and some info on Garfield first discovering Pooky in one of Jon's drawers.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 18:17:36  
Bah, same here. I know I remember it though... maybe it was just a short story within another compilation... Wish I could remember better.
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-12-04 18:28:12  
My favorite Garfield comic was when some other cat went and bonked Odie on the head, and Garfield smacked the other cat because he said no one but him was allowed to pick on his dog. lol :D
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 18:49:12  
Lol, I think the best one I remember was the one where the daddy spider decided to stand up to Garfield and got splatted by a newspaper. Then, from out of nowhere comes a baby spider and is crying "no! Daddy no!" and Garfield says he feels bad and doesn't know what to do to help the baby spider. Then Splat! problem solved, Garfield style!
 Bahamut.Ashua
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-12-04 19:30:54  
Seraph.Bulleta said:
Do you want to know why Dinosaurs were not in the bible? Is it because god forgot about them? No. God had nothing to do with the bible, because he does not exist. People wrote the bible, and made it up. It's a fictional story. They didn't put dinosaurs in there because at the time the bible was written, they didn't have the technology to find out what happened millions of years ago. If god did exist, Dinosaurs would be in the bible. Because God is all knowing right? Or is he not...?

Please don't make claims that you havn't researched. I'll bet you're relatively new to the (non)"faith" (of atheism.) You seem too eager to 'evangelize' your message. Oh, looky there I'm making claims I don't "know" to be true now myself. /rolleyes

Anyways, why don't you read the Book of Job. You'll find dinosaurs there. "Behemoth", "leviathan", "Tannen", etc. (no Square-Enix didn't just come up with those names.) All described and nothing we have today fits the bill. The reason good ol' King James never scribed down the word "dinosaur" is that the word's etymology only goes back to 1841. The King James translation was finished in 1611--a full 230 years before "dinosaur" was a word. I assume you already "knew" this though, seeing as you were exercising your master pedantry on the word "religion".

As far as "debating" God vrs null-god (essentially a "nonthinking" cosmic force as creation catylist. I.E Big Bang and subsequent theories.) I don't know if anyone should even bother. Atheists, agnostics, seekers, and true believers.... debate is only profitable when all parties lay down their arrogance and humbly seek edifacation--instead of just trying to "win".
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 19:37:52  

Discuss.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-04 19:39:19  
"Flesh of christ"
Obviously black.
 Bahamut.Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-12-04 19:45:37  
Let the straw man arguments flow.
 Bahamut.Oblivion
user: remnant
By Bahamut.Oblivion 2009-12-04 19:57:53  
Bahamut.Ashua said:

Oh, buddy...you try too hard.

Besides, what has straw man, its followers, and arguments ever done to hurt you directly?
 Bahamut.Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-12-04 20:02:50  
Bahamut.Oblivion said:
Bahamut.Ashua said:
Oh, buddy...you try too hard. Besides, what has straw man, its followers, and arguments ever done to hurt you directly?

Staw man stole my virginity and he won't give it back.
 Fenrir.Empedocles
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Empedocles 2009-12-04 20:12:57  
Funny thing about that picture, it kills itself on the third word.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-12-04 20:16:21  
Awwwwwwww..... I walk away for an hour to exercise and where is Garfield? What are you people talking about here? Although, mentioning the strawman, I always wanted to know if he had to go to the bathroom? What do you think? It appears that he was in search of a brain, does that imply that he had other organs, and if so did he in fact engage in the act of digestion? His sentience and motion would lead me to believe that he did in fact get nutrition from somewhere in order to have the energy to do these processes... Discuss?
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 20:19:12  
Whoa... /head esplodey

Edit: Although I've no qualms with people and their religious choices, or lack thereof... Dinosaurs living alongside men? really? cause you had me with talking donkeys and serpents... but lost me with land of the lost. Are we still going with the carbon14 inaccuracies? Or was that argument put to rest when they proved it was accurate to like 14,000 years +/- . Cause umm... 14,000 years is still not accounting for carbon dating with millions of years in discrepancy. I'm a bit confused is all.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 20:24:21  
And also, Garfield lives on in my heart /sniff... /cry
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-12-04 20:26:53  
Atheism is itself as much of a religion as any other, you're just as sure that there is no god, that a Christian or whatever is sure there is. Though as Bill Maher put it, an Atheist is significantly less likely to spontaneously explode over his beliefs.

I personally say, at the moment, there are so many unanswered questions, I don't rule out anything but the most stupid answers (IE, Intelligent design). So I guess that's agnostic. But I've always believed that organized religion is nothing more than a power grab.

The point being, that while I'd say Atheism is significantly the less of two evils, it still winds up being as closed minded, it's the responsibility of humanity to ask questions, and just about any religion is designed to stop that.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-12-04 20:38:44  
One post that was on-topic and I derailed the thread for nearly a page. Damn, I'm just Garfield is just that awesome!

I get a daily garfield comic sent to my inbox, and I've been on the hunt for an xmas avatar... Saw this frame of him with an xmas hat on and thought "We have a winner!"
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 20:40:51  
Aye, to put a label on anything sorta closes it off, so to speak. But you have to take a step back and look at things as logically as possible.

For example: Creationists say that there is a 1/1000000etc chance of life occurring on it's own with no intelligent hand to guide it. So, we know the Universe is almost infinite, with billions of planets out there. The fact of the matter is, there was a chance. And that's most likely all we are. A chance occurrence. There may even be other chance occurrences out there. We may never know. The Universe is vast and possibly infinite. (Insert Shakespeare monkey reference here)

We all like to feel special and important. From a logical perspective, we are all in existence due to chance. Everyday occurrences are based on chance. It's all random, but we need to create patterns and reasons to soothe our childhood nightmares.

If you throw a million pennies off a tall building, chances are, one will hit someone. It's all odds and chance. "IMO"
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-12-04 20:42:08  
I approve Wooo! It was the double whammy of beating the dead horse of pro/anti religion and the awesomeness that is Garfield that made me attempt a derail :D
 Fenrir.Empedocles
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Empedocles 2009-12-04 20:46:14  
Ah, where's that document....

Taoism: ***happens
Hinduism: This ***happened before
Buddhism: It is only the illusion of ***happening
Zen: What is the sound of ***happening?
Islam: If ***happens it is the will of Allah
Jehovah’s Witness: Knock, knock, ***happens
Atheism: There is no such thing as ***
Agnosticism: Maybe ***happens, but maybe it doesn’t
Protestantism: ***won’t happen if I work harder
Catholicism: If ***happens, I deserve it
Judaism: Why does ***always happen to me?
Televangelism: Send money or ***will happen
Rastafarianism: Smoke that ***

Of these, I'd have to say that I follow the last one, except it'd be 'laugh at that ***' because a laugh a day keeps the madness on the surface :)

I remember seeing a superior version of this around somewhere... anyone have it?
 Bahamut.Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-12-04 20:55:43  
Whatever "started it all" was one of two things.

A. God(s) and or godess(es.)~A "living breathing intelligent persona." (I use the word breathing figuratively.)

B. Null-God. ~ A random unprovoked inanimate EVENT. (The Big Bang and infinite number of other theories.)

Either the creation catalyst was logical intentional mind(logos) or something that just happened without thought or order (katastrephein). All B.S. rhetoric aside, there is no "other state" between living and inanimate.

If you're being honest and subjective, this means that the odds of a diety are automatically 50/50. (As well as the odds for a non-diety creation.)

So, then, if it was a Big Bang....How exactly does that happen? Think about it. How does a massive unprovoked "explosion" happen without the ingredients in existance to spark it?

Gases are made of molecules. molecules are made of atoms Atoms are composed of neutrons, electrons, and protons. What are protons made of? What makes whatever it is that makes a proton? What makes that? You can go as far back as you would like but eventually, you would have to arrive at the absolute basest unit of matter. For clarity, I will refer to it as proto-matter.

What makes proto-matter? Can it just be 'eternal'? matter in existance since the foundations of infinity? All physical things have a cause for existance. It didn't just make itself, as they would repackage spontaneous generation and sell it all over again.

You hear all the time about "Well, what made God? How can god make himself?" I ask how can a Big bang not only "make itself", but do so without ANY MATTER YET FORMED FOR IT TO UTILIZE? So, that argument against God is void; although, the God of the Abrahamic faiths at least claims to be "spirit" and not physical matter and thus not subject to the elements of physical composition Hmmm...

First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 14