言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Best Platform?
Best Platform?
First Page 2
By Kylea87 2009-11-28 23:32:40  
Hello everyone! I've played this game since the release way back when on the PS2, and recently on the 360. I'm going to start playing again soon, and was wondering if I should switch to the PC version and get that new edition that came out...

I've heard that the PC version has amazing graphics, and it's the best platform to play an MMO because of the keyboard/ mouse controls.
What do you guys think is the best platform?? ^^

Thanks for the help!
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-28 23:34:18  
PC + Windower or gtfo, really.
[+]
 Siren.Stewie
サーバ: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2009-11-28 23:39:05  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
PC Windower or gtfo, really.
This.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
サーバ: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-28 23:42:51  
Im biased because I play on PC and have only ever played on the PC.

Originally back in the day we chose it because 1. it came out first and 2. you didnt have to buy anything extra to play it because your computer comes with a keyboard and internet and all that jazz.

The PC version can have great graphics, but you have to in some ways "cheat" in order to get it to look better then it is.

I guess the Xbox version is supposed to come with the best graphics naturally (i.e. you can see greater distances) you can get that on the PC also but you'll need something like unofficial windower to do it.

actually unofficial windower is the major reason anybody plays on the PC. Way back when we only wanted to be able to surf the web whilst playing, but now theres tons of plugins and addons that you can use if you choose to.

first rule of ffxi on the PC is you dont use the mouse 8|....except in like campaign when you cant target the stupid tag npc. I use the default keyboard keys...the arrow keys..but others are used to the wsad keys and that works just fine. Other people use their console controllers on the PC also. Its just personal preferance.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-28 23:50:50  
Kujata.Daus said:

The PC version can have great graphics, but you have to in some ways "cheat" in order to get it to look better then it is.

Sup dawg
http://imagebeast.net/images/t894em9o4cy32ojtgn8t.png
By Kylea87 2009-11-28 23:53:37  
Thanks for the advice, guys! I guess PC + Windower is the way to go. I got so annoyed switching back and forth between my kb and controller on the 360 and PS2 o_o
 Kujata.Daus
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-29 00:01:18  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Kujata.Daus said:

Sup dawg
http://imagebeast.net/images/t894em9o4cy32ojtgn8t.png

I see your that and raise you this
http://i26.tinypic.com/2gwfjme.png

but I had to turn it off because it lagged the crap out of me and I was main healing in einherjar >3
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-29 00:03:03  
xDD
 Hades.Ethereal
サーバ: Hades
By Hades.Ethereal 2009-11-29 00:07:44  
PC is the best platform for one reason. You can keep upgrading the graphics sound, and anything. Ps3 is fine and dandy but give it 2 years and its going to be like playing a ps2 compared to the pc. The 360 is the worst to play on imo (no, i dont hate the 360), It has a problem with playing ffxi as you may have experienced before. ffxi is just not made for the 360. I left the ps2 out of this because i already know you know that it is a horrid system for ffxi.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-11-29 00:09:26  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
PC Windower or gtfo, really.

Even without windower. PC. I've played since NA launch on PC and never with windower, so it is possible, though there are some useful functions. It's just up to you if you want to get banned when SE starts mass Windower Banings when FFXIV launches to boost subscribe rate to FFXIV and shut down XI.

Seriously though, PC, with or Without windower, for the love of all existence and puppies, PC.
By Kylea87 2009-11-29 00:09:26  
I concur =P
サーバ: Remora
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-11-29 00:11:39  
"mass Windower Banings" ahahahahahaha
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-29 00:13:00  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
It's just up to you if you want to get banned when SE starts mass Windower Banings when FFXIV launches to boost subscribe rate to FFXIV and shut down XI.

1) Lol
2) Why would anyone care if they got banned right before they shut down the game?
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-11-29 19:14:24  
PC with a PS3 control pad. Even without Widower it really is better on the PC. It's just much more enjoyable and personally I find it more comfortable.

PS2
LOL 640x480 resolution
They pretty much stopped supporting the PS2

XBOX
(lol resolution???)
LOL XBOX (= LOL livegamer + RDOD)
LOL lag

Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 22:02:04  
PC with registry tweats and UI dat mods.

The game doesn't look "omgfuckingamazing" like other PC games, but it'll look a hell of a lot smoother than any console.

Some links for you:

FFXI Registry Graphics Tweat: This will make your game look smoother.
Emiko's UI (FFXI Style 1.15): This is a cleaned up user interface. It doesn't look so fail like SE's default.
 Asura.Foxxy
サーバ: Asura
user: Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2009-11-29 22:37:14  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

Some links for you:

This link appers to be dead, any idea where i can get a new one?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 22:40:32  
It works fine for me. But here's the important part:
Quote:
i) Open the Registry Editor. (Start >> Run >> regedit)
ii) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI
iii) Change values for the keys '003' and '004' to hex values equivalent to the desired resolution in decimal. For example, a resolution of 2048x2048 means you want both of the keys 003 and 004 to equal decimal value 2048, which is 800 in hex.

NOTE: 800 (i.e., 2048x2048) is the highest value supported by the engine, PERIOD, and any acceptable value MUST be a multiple of 100. The engine will just crash if you try anything else.

Oh, and this is for XP. I don't know if it would be the same for Vista/7.
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2009-11-29 22:44:30  
Mine keeps taking me to
http://ystig.com/1536.reg
when i try to download any of the res on the page
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 22:45:25  
Yes, THOSE links are broken, but the actual forum post guide is not.

Do it manually. It really isn't as hard as it looks.
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2009-11-29 22:46:38  
ok, ill give it a shot
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2009-11-29 22:53:53  
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI

I dont have a PlayOnlineUS under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
 Pandemonium.Aravol
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-11-29 22:55:46  
I am on PS2 and have been for a long while. I like it but i also dont know about any extra features of a different platform.
I really enjoy playing in my living room kicked back in a recliner drinking some booze.
But that is just me.lol
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 23:01:46  
Asura.Foxxy said:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI

I dont have a PlayOnlineUS under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

Well, what DO you have? Playonline? PlayonlineEU? PlayonlineJP?

Also, who says PC players don't play in a recliner?
 Asura.Foxxy
By Asura.Foxxy 2009-11-29 23:02:28  
none of it lol thats why im confused nor anything ffxi related
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 23:04:19  
Can you post a picture of your registry please? It's really hard to believe you have absolutely nothing in your registry pertaining to FFXI.

Also, what OS are you using?
 Pandemonium.Aravol
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-11-29 23:05:54  
I am sure some PCrs do play in a recliner but that wasnt the point. I was making a reference to enjoying the comforts of my living room.
The preferance i hear of the most is PC but idk.
As long as the PC is correctly equipped and u have a great graphics card then that may be the way to go.
Some of my friends had issues with card, just a thought.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 23:12:25  
Sorry mods for all the pictures.

Also, step by step directions w/ pictures for XP users:

Step 1: Click Start and go to Run

Step 2: Type in "regedit" (no quotes) into the box that pops up.

Step 3: You will now be in your Registry Edit screen. Follow the menu as the screenshots show:

Step 4: (Double click on "Final Fantasy XI" after "SquareEnix") You should now be here:

Highlight 003 as shown.

Step 5: Right click on 003, select Modify.

Step 6: Modify the registry data. Be sure that Hexidecimal is checked. Default should be 200. The highest you can go is 800. You can set them in incriments of 100. (200, 300, 400 ect.) This will make the game think you're on a 2048/2048 resolution. Chances are, you're running on a smaller resolution, so what this will do is shrink it down to your resolution, making the images appear much cleaner and smoother. For example, my resolution is 1600x900, obviously smaller than the 2048x2048. Think of it as resizing a picture. The bigger you make it, the crappier it looks. The smaller you make it (which is what we're doing here), it'll look either the same or better. In the case of FFXI, it looks a lot better.

DO NOT GO PAST 800 OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET AN ERROR AND POSSIBLY CRASH!

Step 7: Repeat Steps 5 and 6, only this time on 004. Make sure this value is the same as the one you set for 003.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-29 23:28:23  
Not to ***on all your work here, Kat, but if you want to use an easy work-around for editing the registry manually you can use this program to automate the process: http://www.ffxicalculator.com/

An old picture of the program, but this is essentially what you'd be looking at:

Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-29 23:32:45  
Meh, I never had use for programs like that since editing it manually was so ridiculously easy.
By Kylea87 2009-11-29 23:43:15  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
PC with registry tweats and UI dat mods.

The game doesn't look "omgfuckingamazing" like other PC games, but it'll look a hell of a lot smoother than any console.

Some links for you:

Emiko's UI (FFXI Style 1.15): This is a cleaned up user interface. It doesn't look so fail like SE's default.

Wow, that sounds awesome. I'll have to do that when I get everything running on my PC. Thanks for the advice!

And btw I do use my PC on my couch/ recliner so I have the best of both worlds =P
First Page 2