Hey you,
 Fairy.Specopsz
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-11-25 19:29:57  
Not a pro at computers.
So I ask, how do you screen cap things?
Like take pictures of your desktop or what ever?
Anyone know what I'm talking about D:
Help me figure this out, I'll treat you to dinner at hooters.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-25 19:32:18  
Click on desktop, hit print screen(Know the little button you use for screen shots in game?) then go to paint or some sort of image application, Edit>paste. Congratulations
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-25 19:33:37  
Some computers (Most I've had thus far) require you to hold Ctrl while you hit Print Screen. If you're having problems, that's why.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 19:34:54  
Alt + F4
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-11-25 19:36:35  
Oh ok, preciate it :P.

Edit:
Tryed Ctrl + print screen, no luck.

And I play on 360, so no idea on how to do it with ffxi on a computer.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-25 19:47:45  
What are you trying to take a picture of?

I use vista/used to use XP. Both of which I can screen shot anything(firefox explorers, IM things, FFXI even) by clicking on the desktop, left click nothing special, hitting print screen once, Then opening your favored picture thing(My common one is paint), then edit paste. This'll give you whatever picture you have taken.

As for control+print screen, Nevre heard of it, but then again, I'm not a huge comp techno person, just know the basics.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-25 19:54:34  
I swear that it doesn't make sense to use ctrl, shift, alt + Prt Sc just to get a SS of just the active window. Is it really all those keys or am I a jackass?
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-25 19:56:52  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
I swear that it doesn't make sense to use ctrl, shift, alt Prt Sc just to get a SS of just the active window. Is it really all those keys or am I a jackass?

As far as my Superior knowledge of computer goes...! Not a damn clue. I dunno where the shift and alt came in though, Enternius said about control, thats it ;x
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-25 19:58:30  
Try this: http://lightscreen.sourceforge.net/

I use it for SSs regardless since it also shoots out the completed thing without needing to paste into an image editor. Allows for full screen, single window and specified area screens and lots of little features.
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-11-25 19:58:58  
Lol, I'm trying.
I'm really not good with computers at all.
All I'm trying to do is take a picture of a thread, without having to print.
Is there a way just to take the picture, so it goes to "My pictures"?
By Caivian 2009-11-25 19:59:09  
Ctrl or shift + prt scr both capture the entire screen. Alt+ Prt Scr would give you a capture of the active window.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-25 19:59:19  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
I swear that it doesn't make sense to use ctrl, shift, alt Prt Sc just to get a SS of just the active window. Is it really all those keys or am I a jackass?
As far as I know it's just alt+prntScrn, never had to throw in all the extra ***before!
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-11-25 20:02:29  
Ok, so if I do alt+prnt scrn, where would it send it?
 Kujata.Caivian
サーバ: Kujata
user: Caivian
By Kujata.Caivian 2009-11-25 20:04:29  
It basically acts as a copy, sending the picture to the clipboard. After you do the alt+ prt scr, open ms paint and paste the image there. You should be able to print or w/e you want to do from paint at that point.
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-11-25 20:06:59  
Ohhhh, ok, wow!
Thanks everyone for the help :]
 Sylph.Lalo
サーバ: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-11-25 20:42:54  
You can use Fraps too. It will save the file as a bnp file though (you can change it on microsoft paint). you just load it and hit F11 or whatever key you choose to take screenshots

http://www.fraps.com/download.php
 Garuda.Shizukat
サーバ: Garuda
user: Shizukat
By Garuda.Shizukat 2009-11-27 00:41:16  
Since nobody posted how to do it in a simple way yet.

One thing you need to know, FFXI will block the use normal of the "Print Screen" button when it has focus. So here it goes.

(additional step needed for FFXI)
- Make sure you are not running in fullscreen mode, else you'll have a hard time trying to do this.
- Click somewhere outside your FFXI window (I usually click on the TaskBar or something)
(end of additional steps needed for FFXI)

- Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard (this will take a snapshop of your entire screen and put it in the copy buffer)
- Open a painting program. You can use Windows' default paint application. You can find it in your start menu under programs -> accesoires or something
- When in your paint program, go to the menu "Edit" -> "Paste" (or paste as new image in more complex programs)
This should give you a image of what you captured earlier

- Next to save your screenshot, use the menu "File" -> "Save As ..."
This will promt you to ask where to save it.
I highly recommend to save it as a .JPG or .PNG file however as the default .BMP is way too large. You can change how to save it at the bottom of the dropdown box of your "save as" dialog box.

And that's how it's done if you don't have or want to install a extra program.

Gilgamesh.Funsam
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2009-11-27 02:12:08  
Sylph.Lalo said:
You can use Fraps too. It will save the file as a bnp file though (you can change it on microsoft paint). you just load it and hit F11 or whatever key you choose to take screenshots http://www.fraps.com/download.php

I don't if anyone else having this problem but i had to stop using frap when playing ffxi cus started to freeze the game everytime i tried to use it