2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » New Player?
New Player?
First Page 2
By Ezio 2009-11-25 17:31:25  
Hey Guys,

I just picked up the game since I've been looking at it for a few months now and just got the new collection of expansions. I'm wondering what would be a good server to start on? One where I could get as much of the game 'experience' as possible.

Thanks

~E
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-11-25 17:34:45  
Someone just decided that Shiva was a good idea. Remora's one of the "new" servers but I haven't seen any new players on it in a while, and it's heavily populated at the higher levels. I started here as a new player about a year ago and it worked out fine for me, perhaps you'll have a similar experience.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 17:35:53  
There is a user called Altair active on Sylph currently. I suggest you start there.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-25 17:36:28  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
There is a user called Altair active on Sylph currently. I suggest you start there.
And Beel wins another thread.
[+]
 Valefor.Ellise
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 17:38:02  
Hello Ezio,

Welcome to FFXI - I hope that your adventures are memorable. You can always ask questions about FFXI here. Best of luck to you, and remember to have fun^^
[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 17:41:45  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Hello Ezio,

Welcome to FFXI - I hope that your adventures are memorable. You can always ask questions about FFXI here. Best of luck to you, and remember to have fun^^

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

And thanks for the other help, so Shiva seems like the best place to start right now? I'm sorry, but I can't find the thread where this was talked about. Anyone mind posting a link or the reasons why they said this was the best server?

Thanks again :)
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-25 17:44:18  
This is the thread in question but I can't really see why someone would specifically want to join Shiva. It's kind of an average server.

If you really want something worthwhile, I suggest going to Siren, Lakshmi, or Carbuncle, the top three servers statistically, in that order.

Just stay away from Asura, lol.
[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 17:47:35  
@Enternius

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what statistics are you looking at that make those 3 the best? I'm really just trying to get some input from people saying if their server is new player friendly or not, I'd rather not have to struggle finding people to get stuff done.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 17:49:38  
Hmm I think any server would be a nice place to start? Reason being, people are always leveling new jobs, and who knows, maybe you might happen upon a nice community of people who will make your time spent online more meaningful.

It's really about community when it comes down to things. Items and gear are just icing on the cake so to speak~ I'm sure that you will be fine wherever you decide to visit.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 17:51:30  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Items and gear are just icing on the cake so to speak~ I'm sure that you will be fine wherever you decide to visit.

Looking at your profile, there is a whole lot icing on your cake.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 17:53:59  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Valefor.Ellise said:
Items and gear are just icing on the cake so to speak~ I'm sure that you will be fine wherever you decide to visit.

Looking at your profile, there is a whole lot icing on your cake.

Thanks for the compliment. However getting back to the subject, if anything, you can always log on to this site to get your questions answered. The community members here are really helpful.
[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 17:56:38  
@Ellise

I really don't mean any offense by this, but I've kinda lurked around the forums for a few days, and it seems like if you aren't following X plan, you're berated for not being 'uber' or playing your job right. I understand every game has elitists, but it seems like they all flock to these boards.

Maybe I'm just drunk.
 Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-11-25 17:59:04  
Screw that... if you want some good advice..
throw the game in the trash asap....
this ***is like dope(heroin in a digital form) once u get a taste
your hooked for life :o

Run while you still have a chance
its too later 4 the rest of us already..
aw ***i need a fix i'm about to loggin
:o)
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 17:59:36  
Ezio said:
@Ellise

I really don't mean any offense by this, but I've kinda lurked around the forums for a few days, and it seems like if you aren't following X plan, you're berated for not being 'uber' or playing your job right. I understand every game has elitists, but it seems like they all flock to these boards.

Maybe I'm just drunk.

No, you're right. The game is full of elitists. And that reflects on these boards. You have to play the game like you're getting payed for doing it or else everyone will jump on your back. That is the reality. That said, social shells tend to be more flex and you'd have a best shot at that.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 18:00:17  
Ezio said:
@Ellise

Maybe I'm just drunk.

No offense taken at all. I think that new players are a good thing and this community is a good way to get started on the right foot.
[+]
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 18:03:12  
I agree with Beel. The game originally started off really harsh and ultimately became more player friendly as the updates came rolling in. And yes, social shells are a great way to get started and familiarize yourself with the game and its mechanics.

[+]
 Ramuh.Citag
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Citag
By Ramuh.Citag 2009-11-25 18:06:49  
Ezio said:
Hey Guys, I just picked up the game since I've been looking at it for a few months now and just got the new collection of expansions. I'm wondering what would be a good server to start on? One where I could get as much of the game 'experience' as possible. Thanks ~E

Are you an attractive male? Come to Ramuh if you are ;D
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-25 18:09:11  
Ezio said:
@Ellise I really don't mean any offense by this, but I've kinda lurked around the forums for a few days, and it seems like if you aren't following X plan, you're berated for not being 'uber' or playing your job right. I understand every game has elitists, but it seems like they all flock to these boards. Maybe I'm just drunk.

To be fair, from what I've seen most of the 'elitists' are actually really polite when you specify youre new to the game, or even just new to endgame before asking a question. People tend to become rude jackasses moreso when they are challenged.

Its all in the phrasing really.
[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 18:09:42  
@Citag

Are you hitting on me? :P

I'm above average, but I'm not sure if we play on the same team.
 Asura.Cyssero
サーバ: Asura
user: Miliani85
By Asura.Cyssero 2009-11-25 18:12:40  
Ezio said:
@Enternius I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what statistics are you looking at that make those 3 the best? I'm really just trying to get some input from people saying if their server is new player friendly or not, I'd rather not have to struggle finding people to get stuff done.

Don't come to Asura then!
 Ramuh.Citag
By Ramuh.Citag 2009-11-25 18:14:02  
Ezio said:
@Citag Are you hitting on me? :P I'm above average, but I'm not sure if we play on the same team.

I dont know what you're talking about ;D
 Remora.Ninian
サーバ: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-11-25 18:16:43  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Ezio said:
@Ellise I really don't mean any offense by this, but I've kinda lurked around the forums for a few days, and it seems like if you aren't following X plan, you're berated for not being 'uber' or playing your job right. I understand every game has elitists, but it seems like they all flock to these boards. Maybe I'm just drunk.

To be fair, from what I've seen most of the 'elitists' are actually really polite when you specify youre new to the game, or even just new to endgame before asking a question. People tend to become rude jackasses moreso when they are challenged.

I'll agree with this. Usually if you're new to the game and you're TRYING to do your job right (even if you're not) elitists will be understanding. If they're not, they're just *** anyway and you don't want to deal with people like that. Not all elitists are ***, but there are still ***. If that makes sense. As stated above most people will be willing to help you.
By Ezio 2009-11-25 18:16:53  
Anyone else have any last minute advice before I make my character?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-11-25 18:17:19  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Ezio said:

This is the way I've always seen it. Elitist are generally only elitist to people who've played a long time. Everyone remembers what it was like when the game was new and there was so much to figure out and learn. In my experience its refreshing passing on the torch to new players.

My advice to you is to get to know ffxiclopedia.org 99% of all the questions you have about the game will be answered there.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-25 18:18:27  
You will be called a noob. You will be called gimp. You will get made fun of if your gear isn't just right. People will not believe you if you say you are new, because truly new players (as in, people who have never played this game before ever) are extremely rare. It's just the age of the game, and the fact that so many of us have been playing for years.

I'm not trying to deter you from the game, but I don't want you to have the ill conceived notion that everyone will accept you with open arms. They won't. People WILL make fun of you. I suggest you don't take it personally, and find a good group of people to hang with. And don't get discouraged. This game has probably one of the steepest learning curves out there.

Don't rush yourself to end game. Even though FFXI is a dying game, they aren't shutting the servers down anytime soon. Take your time leveling, learn all you can about your future jobs, read the story lines and enjoy it. Too many people have forgotten the fact that FFXI is not just about the end game activities.

And please, level your sub jobs. Please?

I can't suggest a server to you though, because every server has cool people, ***, and idiots. Every server has their drama. But good luck wherever you end up.
 Ramuh.Citag
By Ramuh.Citag 2009-11-25 18:19:14  
Ezio said:
Anyone else have any last minute advice before I make my character?

On a serious note, each server is going to be different. I really cant see a way to say one is better than the other. I moved recenlty from Bahamut to Ramuh and I miss it a lot. But I miss certain people. Its all about the friends you make that determine how much fun you're going to have in this game.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 18:19:37  
Yeah, you're going to be working with people a lot. You're going to be working with *** a lot. There is a really low "solo" aspect in this game. Don't expect you can do everything by yourself.

Make your starting nation San D'Oria and pick tarutatu if you want to level mages mainly.

Pick a hume if you want an all around character.

Whatever you do, don't pick an elvaan.

Have fun.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-25 18:20:44  
Remora.Ninian said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Ezio said:

I'll agree with this. Usually if you're new to the game and you're TRYING to do your job right (even if you're not) elitists will be understanding. If they're not, they're just *** anyway and you don't want to deal with people like that. Not all elitists are ***, but there are still ***. If that makes sense. As stated above most people will be willing to help you.

I agree, I am sorry if I was taken the wrong way. Make sure that you enjoy the game for what it is, use this site and ffxi wiki as a good resource and guide for reference material.

[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 18:21:12  
@Beelshamen

Haha, wha? No Elvaan? Why not?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-25 18:22:12  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Yeah, you're going to be working with people a lot. You're going to be working with *** a lot. There is a really low "solo" aspect in this game. Don't expect you can do everything by yourself.

Make your starting nation San D'Oria and pick tarutatu if you want to level mages mainly.

Pick a hume if you want an all around character.

Whatever you do, don't pick an elvaan.

Have fun.

I'm Elvaan and I wouldn't have it any other way.
First Page 2