Parrying Setup - Worth It?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Parrying Setup - Worth it?
Parrying Setup - Worth it?
First Page 2
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-18 05:49:37  
Was contemplating buying a Parrying setup, even if it's only to skill Parrying with. Is it worth it?

Would I have any use out of it after Parrying is capped?
By Deckard 2009-11-18 05:57:52  
The only reason i would get anything with Parry+ is too break the 200 tier which increases your rate of parry dramatically... but at that lvl even with the rate of parries being raised the skill ups will still be far and inbetween. So my answer would be no. Do not waste your gil on this
 Titan.Chster
サーバ: Titan
user: Chster
By Titan.Chster 2009-11-18 05:59:35  
I think it's worth it to get skill ups, but not needed really after cap
but that's really up to you
I'm sure there is better gear to have than stacking parrying gear no?
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-18 06:24:28  
Parrying can be worth it, if it is capped and you are on SAM.

For NIN and THF you will get better returns from stacking evasion.

SAM and maybe COR (not that they need defencive builds really) are the only jobs with high enough parrying to make it a viable form of defence.

But I would never use parrying skill over physical damage taken gear, just use parrying skill in the slots where there is nothing better.

Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-18 07:09:51  
Thanks for the replies guys ^^

I figured a Parrying setup would be a waste after it was skilled, just thought I'd ask XD
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-18 07:33:14  
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Thanks for the replies guys ^^

I figured a Parrying setup would be a waste after it was skilled, just thought I'd ask XD

Quite the opposite, it only becomes a viable means of mitagating damage when you have a stupidly high skill (eg capped and + skill set). Assuming you are using this on VT+.

Otherwise it's just too unreliable.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-18 07:37:21  
In comparison to my EVA setup though, I can't see it performing as well. A while ago I did make a Parrying gear item set, just for the mobs were no amount of EVA generally helps much ._.

EDIT: After looking at it, I realise this was more aimed at skilling Parry XD lolKnife's >_>;
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-18 07:41:49  
Not sure if you'd be able to kill anything with such weak knives as Nin, lol. Just parry all day. Even if you are just tanking, no damage at all = less hate.
[+]
 Ifrit.Rikiyame
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Rikiyame
By Ifrit.Rikiyame 2009-11-18 08:33:04  
The crabs in Boyahda Tree take quite some time to dwindle down with those knives, but it works. I would recommend taking off ALL evasion since you have to fail your evasion check then have parry proc.
 Asura.Sneaker
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Sneaker 2009-11-18 08:52:40  
true

stack eva or parry
what do u want to proc?
eva or parry will proc - so focus on one

my sam has 220+ parrying skill atm
and i only fill some slots with parrying+ where i cant add haste
or fast cast to get my shadows back when /nin
casting ni while hasso up is not a problem - just needs timing
casting ichi is a bit harder while u have hasso up - and im glad when i parry while casting ichi and get my shadows back.
when u get harder hits its like: ni -> seigan third eye -> ichi -> ni or third eye rdy again and so on
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-18 17:13:26  
<3 parrying <3
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 17:19:44  
Yes. It will help you skill up and having more will always be better.

And there are plenty of mobs out there you can stack evasion till your blu in the face and they will still have capped acc on you or pretty damn near it. But you can still parry them decently
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2009-11-18 17:52:02  
It takes about 30 minutes to kill a steelshell with parrying knifes as nin/dnc.. I have stacked parrying gear out the *** and haven't noticed any better skillups than without. My skill is at 255, but only because I have THF, NIN and SAM at 75.

You do not skill parry, it skills when it damn well feels like it.
 Ramuh.Johanna
By Ramuh.Johanna 2009-11-18 19:43:08  
From my experience as a Ninja with capped parrying, it is not as reliable as evasion.

We can stack ridiculous amounts of parrying, however we have access to even more evasion equipment, so might as well utilize that. Our relatively new job ability Yonin helps push for the evasion agenda further over parrying.

My max evasion build.
(HNM build)
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=88687

A decent time to use parrying equipment is while casting Utsusemi Ichi. I set my order for Ichi to be Spell Interruption Down/Ninjutsu Skill, Parrying, and a Shadow Mantle effectively creating four lines of defense for Ichi to cast.
(HNM build, for normal situations the Katanas do not change.)
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=54050

Anyway, I am open to suggestions myself. I hope this helps.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 19:46:09  
Out of curiousity how good does that high of a -spell interupt work on hard stuff? And you have any idea if 100% um really is 100%?
 Ramuh.Johanna
By Ramuh.Johanna 2009-11-18 19:56:23  
Although Ninjas cannot get the full Spell Interruption Down, it seems to work on harder stuff when I am in a pickle.
I do not have hard numbers but it makes me feel "safer".

On a side note, it is nice seeing Ichi cast thru a critical HNM hit due to the Mantle procing.

From my limited reading about Spell Interruption Down gears, I think only Red Mages can reach it and it is a true 100%.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 20:10:34  
Not sure what you mean by true 100% but pretty much anyone that can DW ermites wands or any other 2 weapons taht give 25% can get enough to add up to 100%.
 Ramuh.Johanna
By Ramuh.Johanna 2009-11-18 20:28:37  
Ah, sorry for the confusion. What I meant by true 100% is Spell Interruption Down via gear only instead of using Aquaveil.

Would be nice if Ninjas could equip a Hermit's Wand^^; Too bad the only practical application for this set would be for Red Mage tanking.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 20:41:38  
er yeah hermits too lol, But yeah if you can wear those you can wear solitaire cape for another 8 and druids rope for another 10... everyone can wear willpower for 10 and magnetic for 8. Most jobs have some on there af/relic NQ/HQ. Well think most mages can anyways lol. Have no idea how much aquaviel adds and wouldn't relie on it anyways
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-11-18 20:55:00  
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Was contemplating buying a Parrying setup, even if it's only to skill Parrying with. Is it worth it?

Nope.

If you're going to skill up parrying, you stack up as much -physical% and DEF/VIT as you can, as well as an earth/terra's staff, and just afk in the Den of Rancor with Pucks on you, if you've got a RDM to Phalanx II you.
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-18 21:06:38  
Just for skilling up, after you are capped, switch to evasion and let parry be the backup to the evasion.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-18 21:07:06  
Isn't there a cap on -interruption rate anyway?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-18 21:27:14  
Fairy.Azulmagia said:
Isn't there a cap on -interruption rate anyway?
To my knowledge, 100%. There was a thread on BG a while back where a few people were casting Utsusemi uninterrupted against multiple Chigoes as /NIN, but it took 102% total interruption down or something like that.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 21:37:21  
Yeah I couldn't see much more than 100% doing much for you. Though rdm can get like 127 with merits lol. Then whatever auqaveil adds.

Also for lower lvls of parrying as much PDT and def/vit gear isn't needed and more skill=more parrys=more skill ups. Also kinda depends on what job you have and shield skill. As a rdm starting at the low 100s I definitely didn't need much to solo 20 EP/DCs. Higher up sure.

If I didn't have such crap for shield skill as well genbus shield would totally beat terra staff on the harder stuff like korrigans I was fighting.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-18 21:53:36  
WORK QUOTE. Being such a *** today.

The BG interupt data is pretty interesting, but seems pretty sensical. I guess the 102%~ is due to the 256/512/1024 compewty thing that the haste calculations on specific pieces share as well. Never gave much thought to spell interupt, but it seems handy for -ichi casting as a shield block substitute for ninjys if there's a practical amount to fit into a casting set.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 22:06:53  
Lol damn wont quote for me either.

Nin should be able to hit 87% with merits. That sounds substantial especially since magic skill plays a part in interrupt rate.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-18 22:14:15  
At what sacrifice to haste/pdt%-, though? I never took the time to look and compare the gear needed just because it seems like there wouldd be very few slots to choose from. Presumably you'd want haste and PDT%- gear on if you expected to get hit during casting, I'd think.

It's not -really- important since I'll likely not take advantage since I'm not playing. D;
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 22:25:33  
To get that much you'd have 0 PDT/haste.... er well no PDT or haste in the visible gear slots anyways. Still get rings back an earring ranged and I think thats it

However Ichi has a base recast of 30 sec... if 7 shadows don't generally last 30 sec well you have other problems.

Also I don't tank so it might depend on the mob but I'd think taking some dmg in order to actually get ichi off would be more important then taking even capped 50% less and getting interupted. I'd definitely do full haste for Ni though.

Also for those of you with spellcast or nice script maccros you can maccro in the fast cast/haste back in right at the end of the spell anyways
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-18 23:21:19  
Good point about the spellcast part, it occurred to me to actually take advantage of that once BLU got fast cast despite using NIN for a long while before. lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-18 23:38:49  
Yeah you see that blu gets body and head fast cast in the one of the new probably synergy sets... thats just in the base stats OMG
First Page 2