users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Goldsmithing » Goldsmithing Skill up advice
Goldsmithing Skill up advice
 Shiva.Arroon
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arroon
By Shiva.Arroon 2009-11-16 05:20:21  
Ive just got goldsmithing to 60 after years of tedious lvl'ing and more gil than i can shake a terribly large stick at!

Recently i have been spamming Platinum Ingots to get from 57-60 and was wondering if anyone had some advice on decent recipies to go to next(trying to avoid ZOMG loss synths).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-16 05:46:44  
if you have the stomach for it.. and have a thf. moblumin ingots dont have the worst drop rate in the world. they only drop off a couple gob types and iirc, there arent THAT many. it would probably take a week or two of farming them to cap out at 69, but depending on the player of course, might be decent way to go. the sheets made are pretty much worthless, but youll make some supplemental profits on gold ingots from mob armor desynths and other possible nm drops potentially too. just my 2 cents ^^b.
gl whatever you do, goldsmithing to 100 is basically all zomg loss ;;.

edit: forgot to mention definitely cap on platinum ingots with whatever recipes before starting moblumins.
[+]
 Asura.Magicide
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Magicide 2009-11-17 11:52:44  
The short answer is that there are none. There's a reason that goldsmithing 64-77 is generally referred to as "Gold Hell". Most everything costs at least one gold ingot, virtually no recipe makes any worthwhile gear, and everything sells at a loss if it sells at all.

Take platinum ingots to their cap @64 and then find a recipe that you can either break synth or that doesn't cost a completely stupid amount.
[+]
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-21 01:45:49  
Pro tip:

Create an army of mules, the more the better!

Buy 10 flowerpots each and plant cuttings, iirc feed them light crystal once at start and once when it says plant is hungry

Wait 2 weeks

Harvest your platinum nuggets.

Synth ingots from them.

???

Profit.

This is the only real viable way to take gold to 100 that i found, it's alot better to profit on this stage than lose out. Plus with the skill to make ingots/sheets from nuggets it can be decent income even if you don't need platinum for a skillup synth.

When you get to doing plat earring or rings you will need an asston of ingots so it's better to stock up now anyway.

GL.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 01:57:26  
The best advice I think I can give for skilling up goldsmithing at this point is don't. I'm serious. If you thought getting to 60 was bad... prepare to cringe alot. Get ready for skillup sessions where you only make a small handfull things cause that's all you've saved up for. Just wait till you get to the point where almost everything requires O ingots...
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-21 02:19:06  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Just wait till you get to the point where almost everything requires O ingots...

Meh that's not until 99, you can easily go from 95-99 without ever touching an O ingot. Especially if you grow your own platinum in mass, just synth plat rings, keep +1's and sell the NQ off. Honestly to do lvl 74 rings any lower than 97-99 is just very... dumb.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-21 02:26:03  
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Just wait till you get to the point where almost everything requires O ingots...
Meh that's not until 99, you can easily go from 95-99 without ever touching an O ingot. Especially if you grow your own platinum in mass, just synth plat rings, keep 1's and sell the NQ off. Honestly to do lvl 74 rings any lower than 97-99 is just very... dumb.
Well sure if you have a huge *** surplus of plat. But in the end is that actually really cheaper considering what plat his worth? And do plat rings actually sell on your server? Although expensive lvl 74 rings are generally a small profit
 Pandemonium.Areis
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2009-11-21 02:31:42  
Sokieday, long post comming up. you can probably make the following jumps with the following DROP in cash, not cumulative through the ranges!
64~70 3.5mil
70~78 5 mil
78~85 12 mil
85~87 1.5 mil
87~93 :: 5mil loss, but should invest heavily in keeping O.Rings
93~98 8mil
98~100 :: 2mil + whatever you didn't save in 87~93

The biggest hit comes in bridging your way from elemental beads to Scintilating ingots, because you should try to hoard those rings for the final push, which for 2 levels might take as many as 60~80 at 600k~ each. On the up side you should be able to sell the rings without TOO much loss, just need a LOT of capital and time to sell them.

Moblumin Sheet (69) [cost farming Moblumin Ingots]
Fire Crystal
Moblumin Ingot

Oberon's Gold Ingot (69) [cost 250~300k/stack]
Fire Crystal
Gold Ore x3
Fool's Gold Ore

Noble's Crown (71) [cost 250k/stack, and hard to find Topaz]
Fire Crystal
Copper Ingot
Gold Ingot
Topaz

Gold Patas (76) [cost 350k/stack, and need 51 Smithing to make patas]
Fire Crystal
Gold Ingot
Mercury
Patas

Morion Earring (78) [cost 600k/stack]
Earth Crystal
Gold Earring
Morion Tathlum

Angel/Death/Diamond/Ruby/Saphire/Emerald/Spinel/Topaz Earring (85) [cost 800k+/stack]
Earth
Platinum Earring
Angel / Death / Diamond / Ruby / Saphire / Emerald / Spinel / Topaz

Fire / Ice / Wind / Water / Earth / Thunder / Light / Dark bead (87) [cost varies*, you need the ore... ice is generally cheep though]
Wind Crystal
Fire / Ice / Wind / Water / Earth / Thunder / Light / Dark ore

Orichalcum Ingot (89) [cost 4mil/stack, you will need these keep for Rings]
Fire
Orichalcum Ore x3
Platinum Ore x1

Orichalcum Ring (93) [cost 7.5mil/stack, you will need these to hit 100 keep them]
Fire
Orichalcum Ingot x2

Scintillating Ingot (98) [cost 1.5mil/stack]
Fire Crystal
Orichalcum Ore
Chunk Of Luminium Ore x3

Aqua/Breeze/Dark/Flame/Light/Snow/Soil/Thunder Ring (102) [cost varies*, you need the bead... Ice is generally cheep though]
Earth
Orichalcum Ring
Water/Wind/Dark/Fire/Light/Ice/Earth/Thunder bead
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-11-21 02:34:48  
http://sovereignffxi.livejournal.com/tag/%5Bgoldsmithing+guide%5D

I wrote a guide on my LJ chronicling my journey through Goldsmithing 0-98+3, where I have stopped. I personally feel the information in that guide is the easiest (and cheapest) route to leveling Gold into Veteran status. (This may or may not be true today, with the introduction of new items)

While I like saying I am a veteran Goldsmither, as it's an incredibly rare craft to have... I greatly regret leveling it. I've lost so much gil it's not even funny, and in no way have I made more than I put into it despite making the occasional tier 0 HQ. Overall, it was a massive loss taking it to 98+3, and I estimate I could easily have built a relic by now if I had never gone through all the leveling, breaks, failed HQ attempts, and overall massive gil loss that Goldsmithing has brought me.

Maybe I've just had bad luck with it, but if you want to keep your sanity and your gil, I'd recommend stopping at 60 and focusing on something else.

Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-21 04:49:23  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Meh that's not until 99, you can easily go from 95-99 without ever touching an O ingot. Especially if you grow your own platinum in mass, just synth plat rings, keep 1's and sell the NQ off. Honestly to do lvl 74 rings any lower than 97-99 is just very... dumb.
Well sure if you have a huge *** surplus of plat. But in the end is that actually really cheaper considering what plat his worth? And do plat rings actually sell on your server? Although expensive lvl 74 rings are generally a small profit

Grow plat and it's profit regardless, did you miss that point? i'm vouching for gardening for the materials here and thus making it very easily manageable. Honestly I think i gave this dude the best advice anyone has and really:

I can't see why you would diss on this strategy, it's easy unless you wont pay the dollar a month per mule, it just takes time and you could be a 100 goldsmith easy if you took this route rather than farm or any other BS to get the gil to dump into it.

At least on unicorn, remora and vaelfor servers which i've been on as a goldsmith, lvl74 rings are 50-100k LOSS EACH to make even if you dont blow up a synth so... generally i would have to say based on my experience... lvl 74 rings are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and only make them at 99-100. Believe me if they were actually a profit synth don't you think lvl 100's would make them also and the market would become flooded thus dropping price? no they don't we know better, it's a money pit.

Your server must have very few smart goldsmiths if you can actually profit on an NQ item with no chance of HQ.

Yes, us lvl 100's we buy up platinum rings like a fat kid in a candy store so yes they sell everywhere i've been.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-11-24 00:58:36  
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
At least on unicorn, remora and vaelfor servers which i've been on as a goldsmith, lvl74 rings are 50-100k LOSS EACH to make even if you dont blow up a synth so... generally i would have to say based on my experience... lvl 74 rings are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and only make them at 99-100. Believe me if they were actually a profit synth don't you think lvl 100's would make them also and the market would become flooded thus dropping price? no they don't we know better, it's a money pit.

This is true on every server.

One thing I like to do during this stage to offset the cost is by farming kindred's seals and taking ls mates to go spam royale ramble It's super easy and Ocl. Ingots are a 100% drop. Many times my friends are nice enough to sell me theirs at a lower rate, so that helps too.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-24 01:20:10  
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Grow plat and it's profit regardless, did you miss that point? i'm vouching for gardening for the materials here and thus making it very easily manageable.
I think you missed the real point of that point. The growing is the profit. Turning it into rings is a loss. Period. You'd make alot more money just selling the plat. It's along the same lines of thought of well if I farm my ingredients I save money. The vast majority of time NO YOU DON'T
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: mdkuser
By Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser 2009-11-24 06:48:39  
As other said, level 60-80 range is were the money loss is. Personally I do not make money with goldsmithing, I only did it for fun from start, knowing its the hardest craft. It's slightly profitable only at level 100 and even then there is already a lot of lv 100 competitors lol. Anyway.

For 60-70 you can do the platinum ingots then rings. They sell decently on the AH for break even/sligh loss. They are in demand because lv 100 goldsmith use them for the HQ level 72 rings synths.

I was a noob and farmed moblumin ingots when I was around that level ( 6 for 3 hour farming with TH4...), then turned those into shrimp lantern after countless hours of worm farming in ullegerand range. Believe me, it is absolutely NOT worth your time. It is actually better to afk at mineshaft entrance in newton and steal platinum coins off gobs every 5 minutes... At least I eventually managed to sell all my shrimp lanterns for a profit, still wasn't worth the time spent.

70-83. do whatever synths there is that use one gold ingots, not two. I think I did: gold patas > gold gauntlets > gold buckler > gold spear > rapier... or something.

This part is a big loss, but the good part is that you get a decent amount of money back from NPCing.. some of those sell back up to 7k each if I remember. Yeah, not worth selling back on the ah ( nobody buys them) nor desynthing...

Personally I initially spent time farming Gold Orcmask in castle zwahl; after desynth it would yield one stack of ingots for 4 hour farming, or so. It was worth the time back then because 12 ingots costed 800-1Mil on the AH. But the price of stacks of ingots quickly droped due to RMT bannings; so I ended up doing buggard farming ( pre nerf) in misareaux coast for 50k/hour net to NPC, or 3 synths per hour buying mats to the AH.

83-87: elemental bead. can start even earlier. this part is a profit if you are patient and do not flood the AH; or just synth beads to a lv 100 woodworker.

87-89: orichalcum ingots, profits compensate the breaks.

89-92: muscle belts. very small loss for that level. NPC for 3k I think.

92-98: scintillants ingots. Those are in good demand on the AH normally. You need to camp orichalcum ores and compete with other goldsmiths though... it can be annoying. But for me each synth was a 10k+ profit. If you can't get O.ores, just do the NQ lv 72 rings, they sell decently fast for break even, especially with the new FoV craze (spinel and ruby rings mainly).

98-99: lv 72 rings. craft your own plat rings+1 ( ~25% success rate at that point), sell NQs plat rings and lv 72 rings for break even/slight loss on the AH.

99-100: stuck here atm at 99.2 doing lv 74 stat rings... stoped after a few critical fails...

Hades.Lilg
サーバ: Hades
user: Lilg
By Hades.Lilg 2009-11-25 10:34:24  
I think Mdkuser is the guide that is closest to what I will be doing for my goldsmithing mule.

I did farm moblumin ingots like he suggested not to, but I was also getting quite a bit of goblin pieces for desyn. There are also 2 goblins that you can steal plat coins from that is somewhat nearby.

As for farming worms, I did not mind it since I was also leveling my npc off the worms. I also got seals and some exp off the worms. While this may take a lot of time, you do not have to worry about overpaying for plat ingots from the AH.

For the 70-80 stage, I suggest you check out the gp items and keep a few of each for gp days to turn in.

If you can break even at a 1 break: 4 success ratio, I think it might be worthwhile to start around 79+2 guild items + 3 advance support. This will leave you at 84 which is 3 levels from cap, which should make it more worthwhile than the pure loss of the gold ingot syns.

For people with the gil, I would skill up on O rings from 89-91 since you will need them later anyways.

At 91, you should have +3 guild items. This allows you to hit 97 with advance support. Depending on your server prices, you can consider making Koenig Shields to 97. If you want to try for an HQ, you can also make Cursed Schallers.
 Valefor.Stubbie
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Stubbie 2009-11-29 03:17:13  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Grow plat and it's profit regardless, did you miss that point? i'm vouching for gardening for the materials here and thus making it very easily manageable.
I think you missed the real point of that point. The growing is the profit. Turning it into rings is a loss. Period. You'd make alot more money just selling the plat. It's along the same lines of thought of well if I farm my ingredients I save money. The vast majority of time NO YOU DON'T

I guess your server it's a loss, making plat rings on vaelfor where i'm currently residing is actually roughly a 4k profit per synth. And that's even if you buy 2 singled ingots which are typically the more expensive route of making rings.

No real sense in arguing things that are entirely server economy dependent though. I'm sure it wouldnt be as huge of a hit as buying all the *** platinum to make the rings through this hellish phase now would it?

Why would you try to diss on my strategy, because it makes sense? He was asking skillup advice, not money making advice anyway right? Well if you grew plat and sold it off you would get no skillup off of the plat, so your point is completely *** irrelevant
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-29 03:27:09  
Valefor.Stubbie said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
I guess your server it's a loss, making plat rings on vaelfor where i'm currently residing is actually roughly a 4k profit per synth.

No real sense in arguing things that are entirely server economy dependent though. I'm sure it wouldnt be as huge of a hit as buying all the *** platinum to make the rings through this hellish phase now would it?

Why would you try to diss on my strategy, because it makes sense? He was asking skillup advice, not money making advice anyway right? Well if you grew plat and sold it off you would get no skillup off of the plat, so your point is completely *** irrelevant
Hmmm prices have changed only 5k loss over here. While they are a 4k profit over there they sell on average like 1.7 a day and there are like 7 up right now... not really good if you plan on doing alot

Really though the point is there is growing the plat doesn't "save" you money. I diss because of the the whole you are pure profit from farming is a misconception most people have. There are few exceptions pretty much just stuff that no one farms that sells rarely therefore cost way more then the effort it takes to get.

As far as selling... if there is a lower loss synth or higher profit one or just lower overall cost even if loss is more and growing plat is your best way of making money then selling the plat and doing another recipe would be better
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-29 03:36:42  
Considering the huge price difference between 12-24 cuttings and a stack synthesized platinum ingot/rings/sheets anything, it is actually quite undeniably profitable unless you fail to harvest on time.

Platinum is actually quite easy and a high success rate crop, it's not near as random as growing ice ores or anything like that.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-12-05 00:08:26  
Unicorn.Smurfo said:
Considering the huge price difference between 12-24 cuttings and a stack synthesized platinum ingot/rings/sheets anything, it is actually quite undeniably profitable unless you fail to harvest on time.

Platinum is actually quite easy and a high success rate crop, it's not near as random as growing ice ores or anything like that.
Do platinum take a month to grow like ores? i.e. converting cuttings to sapplings is 2 weeks and then another 2 for the platinum? If so, couldn't you just make more money selling tree cuttings every day? That's what I ended up doing when the ore prices dropped.