Newer players need to step up their game
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-23 11:42:54  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
A poorly geared support that is only capable of buffing is still significantly more useful than a DD whos DPS is in the 3 digit range.

A bard with Blurred+1, Langelik, Apollo's that is capable of keeping songs up (this is the skill requirement) is useful to the group. Even if all they're doing is support, its a benefit to the others. A DD who cant deal damage and keeps eating aoe damage is a sponge. Their entire role is "damage dealer" and they're failing at that.

What Nynja said, but also, "I don't want to learn and take any responsibility" is precisely what the OP is trying to change.

You should be asking questions about the content, what jobs are necessary, why they're necessary, how much gear (and which) gear is necessary to get to the point of being helpful, what the mechanics are, how much acc you need, etc. rather than just sitting there and mindlessly pressing Blade: Ku because you remember the animation from 2006 and you love how it looks like you're Naruto.

The point of the post is that most newer players don't engage with the game in a meaningful way and some of them take actions in direct opposition to contributing to the content.

And then they get upset when people won't invite them to do content and wonder why they're not progressing as fast as they want.
[+]
 Fenrir.Ahlen
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-09-23 11:44:09  
It's a game why should anyone have to step up? Just play with people who are like minded and if you wanna get carried just transfer to asura and pay mercs.
 Sylph.Dmhlucky
サーバ: Sylph
user: Dmhlucky
By Sylph.Dmhlucky 2024-09-23 11:55:40  
Fenrir.Ahlen said: »
It's a game why should anyone have to step up? Just play with people who are like minded and if you wanna get carried just transfer to asura and pay mercs.

Even those mercs on Asura would be stepping up. Won't get much done if someone doesn't do the work.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-23 12:11:43  
Fenrir.Ahlen said: »
"Why cant I clear V25 Bumba with just my Tsurumaru sam, its my $12.95 you elitist chud"
[+]
By CrAZYVIC 2024-09-23 12:12:46  
As a returning player, with two characters—Crazyvic on Asura and another on Siren, plus my girlfriend’s character—here’s my take.

I don’t like to lie to new players. I’m upfront and tell them, “You’re gonna have to buy gil, and this game is an expensive hobby.” The $15-25 a month, depending on how many wardrobes you use, isn’t the problem—that’s the cheap part.

The FFXI sub in 2024 should be about $22.99, assuming Japan’s annual 3% inflation rate, so I say, “No problem,” paying between $19-25 per month.

But usually, during the first month, you’re gonna spend about $75-100 USD on gil.

Here’s what I recommend to my friends who are returning or to new players I chat with:

First, get your main job to 2,100 JP and Master Level 30. You can do this in about three nights with RMT. Of course, do at least 500 JPs yourself and reach at least ML 0-8 so you can practice the job, get your sets ready, and set up GearSwap or macros—whatever you use.

Master Level 30, in my opinion, is enough to be ready for most content. You’ll get a decent amount of attack, accuracy, /DRG WS DMG trait II, etc. You’ll be able to hit mobs in Dynamis-W3, bosses in Odyssey, farm A-segments solo, farm Omen solo in peace, and even go to Sortie without being a burden.

Next, get your Odyssey boss win depending on the job you’re using and slowly work on the others. And without sugar-coating it—buy the wins, period.

Then, get your Dynamis-Jeuno W3 win ASAP.

At this point, you’ve got what I call the new "AH-weapons": Aeonic R15, the Dynamis Divergence Path (A) for DDs "Por favor", and the Ambuscade weapons like Naegling, Shining One, and Tauret, depending on your jobs.

These weapons have a decent amount of accuracy and attack, and together with ML30, they’ll let you land your hits in harder content.

I don’t recommend going for Relics, Mythics, or Empyreans right now—they’re too grindy. Save that for your second month. Lastly, make sure to parse your events with your friends using the scoreboard so you know how far you are from the top dogs and what you need to do to close the gap.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-09-23 12:23:28  
Solid advice Vic, and if you don't manage to complete all of that in one month (damn that pesky 45 day wait for new characters), go do monstrosity or something. You won't be good for anything else.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-23 12:31:52  
I could be wrong, because I havent made a new character since the 45 day lockout, but doesnt that just block you from getting into Sheol B and C? Someone could farm segs from Sheol A?
By Kaffy 2024-09-23 12:40:42  
How are you going to farm A without boss wins first to get the gear?
By Nariont 2024-09-23 12:43:49  
You farm segs and when you can go up you can then use them for the NM portions, it wont be much but its a daily that you have no other use for, not like you need ody gear to farm the lowest tier of sheol
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-23 12:44:40  
No one was saying to be entering Sheol A on day 1. But if day 30 rolls around and you're sufficiently geared, might as well enter and do floors 1-2-3 of A.
 Bahamut.Academic
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Sevu
By Bahamut.Academic 2024-09-23 12:44:40  
Suggest a new player to buy gil is a terrible advice. I prefer working for my ***and not be a whale.

It must be a Asura mentality.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-09-23 12:46:20  
Am I the only one who read Vic's post as complete sarcasm?

This one sentence alone did it for me
Quote:
Master Level 30, in my opinion, is enough to be ready for most content. You’ll get a decent amount of attack, accuracy, /DRG WS DMG trait II, etc. You’ll be able to hit mobs in Dynamis-W3, bosses in Odyssey, farm A-segments solo, farm Omen solo in peace, and even go to Sortie without being a burden.
 Sylph.Dmhlucky
サーバ: Sylph
user: Dmhlucky
By Sylph.Dmhlucky 2024-09-23 12:48:11  
I agree with suggesting people to buy gil is a Horrible idea, and a very slippery slope.
You do NOT need to buy gil to play this game. Now, paying for extra mules/wardrobes is another story..

And yea Kaff.. not sure it was sarcasm :/
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-09-23 12:50:24  
Whether meant sarcastically or not, it's quite accurate.

Spend an extra $25 and skip to the end or burn yourself out grinding for 3 months solid. You'll save money by buying it so you can quit faster.

Time is your most valuable currency.
By Nariont 2024-09-23 12:50:46  
Kaffy said: »

Sorry but if you look at post history, its very likely not sarcastic at all
By Kaffy 2024-09-23 12:52:02  
Yes I too like to only read the first and last chapters of all the books I buy, and fast forward straight to the end of all my movies too.

Eh if I'm wrong and he's serious, ignore me :)
 Bahamut.Academic
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Sevu
By Bahamut.Academic 2024-09-23 12:52:39  
Kaffy said: »

I don't. I've heard this suggestion several times in the past. And, seem to be a common thing these days seeing people afk all day or week in KRT and running around in REMA's and you know that new player just joined the game.

I remember specifically a new player joined one of my LS's and got mastered in no time and bought DRG su5 and was surprised it was "trash".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-23 13:23:55  
OP: If you bother to put in work, ask questions, and take the advice of veterans, we'd be happy to help you, answer all your questions, and guide you through the game, just give us an iota of effort.

Response: Nah dawg, the real way to git gud is to buy a billion gil, merc all the content, and play DD. Then you can hit all the enemies!

Meanwhile, guy with R30 Sakpata unlocked enters an RP farm:
P: Are you ready for us to use Random Deal?
Newb: I don't know what that does, what do you mean?
P: To reset your Warcry, are you ready?
Newb: Yeah, I already used Aggressor, Tomahawk, Berserk, Restraint, Retaliation, Warcry, Bloodrage, and Warrior's Charge, go for it.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-09-23 13:24:55  
Bahamut.Academic said: »
Suggest a new player to buy gil is a terrible advice. I prefer working for my ***and not be a whale.

It must be a Asura mentality.

Second this. Feeding the RMT is not the way to go. Players should learn to become self sufficient. Yes, it will take a while, but suggesting that players pay someone else to play the game is bad advice. You can't really learn how your jobs work if you pay to be a leech.

Also, I play six mastered jobs (one is RDM) with just one paid for wardrobe, and an inactive wardrobe for unstorable/lockstyle pieces I don't want to lose. Trust me on this... a new/returning player does not need to pay for any wardrobes for a LONG time.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-09-23 13:35:12  
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
OP: If you bother to put in work, ask questions, and take the advice of veterans, we'd be happy to help you, answer all your questions, and guide you through the game, just give us an iota of effort.

Response: Nah dawg, the real way to git gud is to buy a billion gil, merc all the content, and play DD. Then you can hit all the enemies!

Newb: Yeah, I already used Aggressor, Tomahawk, Berserk, Restraint, Retaliation, Warcry, Bloodrage, and Warrior's Charge, go for it.

Is Asura really this bad? Like did this happen?
By Nariont 2024-09-23 13:41:48  
I wouldnt rule it out at least, seen plenty of WARs that just dump all their abilities out of the gate
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-23 13:49:11  
Nariont said: »
I wouldnt rule it out at least, seen plenty of WARs that just dump all their abilities out of the gate

Or their lua automatically uses all of them on cooldown.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-09-23 14:15:10  
they use their lua for the JA's

Holy ***
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-09-23 14:17:03  
>.>; What are WARs supposed to do? Just Warcry for the group and wait til after Random Deal, then go about as normal?
 Asura.Houndsoflove
user: Ephexis
By Asura.Houndsoflove 2024-09-23 14:24:32  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Is Asura really this bad? Like did this happen?

From a Ngai RP run the other day with a clueless WAR.

The bigger issue with newer players is their innate desire to go full Leeroy Jenkins on everything, rather than listen to direction. If something is going to ***, 9 times out of 10 they'll try and do their own thing, rather than follow a more strategic route to enable a recovery in a problem.

Then there's just the intellectually malnourished plebs who don't understand the basics of their role.
By Nariont 2024-09-23 14:26:32  
better chance for RD to hit WC if its among zerk/agg/maybe restraint than the entire JA pool

plus fair few wars dont seem to know that BR overwrites WC and vice versa, which is always annoying to see especially when they are adamant it does not
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-23 14:42:51  
Asura.Vyre said: »
>.>; What are WARs supposed to do? Just Warcry for the group and wait til after Random Deal, then go about as normal?

Yeah, a common strategy in a lot of Ody fights with WAR is to use Warcry (and possibly 1 other JA) first, then get RD, to give the best chance of getting Warcry back instead of some nonsense you don't care about/need to get back.

RD picks from the pool of JA you have on cooldown at the time and resets those. The more JA on cooldown, the lower chance of getting the one you want to be reset.

This is why community and advice > buying gil and clears. Not talking about anyone in particular, certainly not Vyre, just making a larger point.
By Dodik 2024-09-23 14:46:42  
Vic, your entire post screams "I am on Asura". It should serve as a warning to all new players - do not go to Asura.

I'd explain why, but just read your post intead.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-23 14:56:52  
A lot of this RD discourse hinges on the COR having a merit in Loaded Deck to begin with.

And before anyone suggests its preposterous to think a cor wont have any merits in LD:
Nariont said: »
plus fair few wars dont seem to know that BR overwrites WC and vice versa, which is always annoying to see especially when they are adamant it does not
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10