フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Digital Tips at Retail Stores
Digital Tips at Retail Stores
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-07-01 18:50:33  
Lakshmi.Sahzi said: »
Oh but more relevant to OP ya those digital tips are definitely at the discretion of the owner.

Umm...where?

Doesn't seem to be that way in the USA.

Quote:
an employer cannot keep employees’ tips under any circumstances; managers and supervisors also may not keep tips received by employees, including through tip pools;

IANAL, it seems this might only apply to employees who are classified as tipped employees for the purposes of bypassing the minimum wage requirements, but I'd be shocked to find out that tips can be taken by owners/managers rather than given to the employee who provided the service. Might be the case, but I'd say it's probably not.
By Meeble 2024-07-01 20:09:36  
Artichokie said: »
RadialArcana said: »
Tipping isn't even a thing in the UK, cause it's against the law for stores to underpay workers in the first place to make them rely on them.

I just got back from a business trip to the UK, Manchester to be precise, and in every restaurant there was an added service charge to the bill the server informed me about prior to paying. Mind you it wasn't the 15% - 20% we see in the states, but times are changing.

A dine-in service charge or a "because we can" one?

Segmenting out the front of house costs as a service charge so you don't need separate pricing for table and takeout makes sense, especially in a no tipping country.
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-07-02 06:50:16  
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
IANAL, it seems this might only apply to employees who are classified as tipped employees for the purposes of bypassing the minimum wage requirements, but I'd be shocked to find out that tips can be taken by owners/managers rather than given to the employee who provided the service. Might be the case, but I'd say it's probably not.

I'd be inclined to think it doesn't apply because the tip button on the console does not explicitly state that the tip is to the employee rather than the establishment[and maybe in an extreme case, neither does a tip jar sitting on the counter]. If you give someone a cash tip directly, no questions.
[+]