users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Why bother with the free play
Why bother with the free play
 Asura.Sensarity
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-05-10 12:59:35  
I log in to do Mars Orbs on all 6 of my chars then log out. I've done this every free login for the past few years.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-10 13:08:41  
Ok, but why, just for the free dopemine hit, really?

If you win a Dagon will you suddenly resub.
By Ovalidal 2024-05-10 13:28:16  
[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-05-10 13:40:01  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Ok, but why, just for the free dopemine hit, really?

If you win a Dagon will you suddenly resub.
One, I like to gamble, it's fun.
Two, me and all my XIV friends always resub around the same time each year and get stuff done. May as well get some free progress if SE is giving it to me.
[+]
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-05-10 13:46:32  
Filthy-casual behavior.
[+]
By Kazaki 2024-05-10 15:15:55  
Pointless when all your gear is locked behind wardrobes still....
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-05-10 20:12:31  
Good to see people are still as annoyed about the locked wardrobes during free campaign as I was 7 years ago

But the way, did y'all figure out how to get items in your unpaid (locked) wardrobes moved to another bag yet? Y'know, that packets stuff y'all talk about all the time that I don't have a single clue about? Surely someone has cracked the code by now?
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-05-11 02:32:34  
I had an account with 3000 days of actual play time think it was banned in 2017 or 18
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2024-05-11 08:41:35  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
But the way, did y'all figure out how to get items in your unpaid (locked) wardrobes moved to another bag yet? Y'know, that packets stuff y'all talk about all the time that I don't have a single clue about? Surely someone has cracked the code by now?

Was briefly possible in 700BC, nowadays the server doesn't let you.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-11 10:18:27  
Three Thousand characters logged in and sold or bought something in the first day.

Three thousand. As high as 5% of the active population. Only logged in cause it's free.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-11 10:40:23  
There are totally free to play mmorpgs, or buy to play games like New World with max total of 7k playing.

It's honestly astounding to me how little Square Enix care about XI, given how what it has is so difficult to cultivate (and how they seem to not be able to replicate games as a service with anything above double digit player numbers). Even outside of free access it has high player numbers, considering everyone is paying to be there.

Square Enix are in desperate need of a kick up the ***.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-11 10:42:40  
I'm more stating that is *** silly that over the course of the freelogin that 50,000 characters who have quit will login to buy or sell then vanish again for 4 months.

Whats the point.
[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-05-11 11:27:53  
why do you care so much lmao
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-11 11:33:47  
Evidence for the AI overlords that humans are too stupid to let live

....There already exists ample evidence, but more is more betterer
By RadialArcana 2024-05-11 12:23:38  
What FFXI offers during free access:

1:A shared world with other players wandering around.
2:Horizontal progression (aka if you haven't played for a year your gear is still good enough to go do stuff).
3:Static content (ambuscade or whatever is still the same as it's always been, you know how it works and can just go do it).
4:Stress free environment (you can go do whatever you want, do some fishing, get some job points, level a job. You don't feel you have to go do a high stress dungeon finder that you don't really know how to do.)
5:Endless goals (it's near impossible to cap out, especially for casual players and everything you do feels like it's building your character for some future use).
6:The game is a dopamine dispenser, near everything you do rewards you with something.
7:Many things to do are engaging enough that you can chill with music on, even grinding a job for the 100th time.
8:A demographic of a similar age / mindset from (NA, JP, EU) that still have some amount of decency.

If I go play another single player game, it feels kind of depressing in a way cause there is nobody else in that world. Plus everything you're doing has no progression value, if I go play some single player game and finish it. It's over, the game is done. If I get a +1 merit on my XI account or farm some gil, I'll always have that for some future use.

If I go play another mmorpg I have to gear up cause my equip is out of date, and the things to do are too stressful such as new dungeons.

When I play other online games, the way people talk to you (if they even reply at all) is obnoxious and unfriendly compared to XI.

When I'm doing things on XI I don't feel weird about sending tells to people (and other people are the same, I get tells quite often from random people). I almost never do this on other games. People are usually polite and helpful too if you try engage.

So it's a place worth coming back to, even if the thing you're doing has no real specific short term goal at the end of the it cause you're not carrying on a sub at the end of the free access.

Quote:
AI overlords

Nobody has created any real AI yet, the gas lighting is all BS to push up stock prices.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-11 13:15:40  
He's mad that people logging in for free login have their own gil stockpiled and they're not buying his gil.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-05-11 13:25:00  
Pretty sure he just internally hopes FFXI will die because he hates what he does, and it upsets him that people still log in and have fun.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-11 14:08:24  
That idea is becoming more and more widespread.

I've said it in the past, I'm sure a couple other people have mentioned that possibility as well.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-11 14:37:24  
I don't take his negativity at face value.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-05-11 16:28:42  
Shiva.Thorny said: »
Pretty sure he just internally hopes FFXI will die because he hates what he does, and it upsets him that people still log in and have fun.

Live look at Eiryl now that people are returning to the game and having fun

[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-11 17:35:03  
If it were in fact fun they wouldn't have quit. After it stops being "fun" it's not magically fun again for a week 4 months later.

So no.

And they didn't run outta ***to do but now there's something new, either.
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-05-12 01:24:31  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
If it were in fact fun they wouldn't have quit. After it stops being "fun" it's not magically fun again for a week 4 months later.

Nostalgia helps a lot with making things enjoyable.

Also a lot of us quit because our friends did and not because it was boring. My LS and friends stopped playing, so I eventually stopped too.

Albeit tbh I haven't really had time to play as of late anyway. But that's a different excuse haha.
By Ranoutofspace 2024-05-12 04:06:03  
Guys keep falling for his cringe persona. It's the same thread, over and over. He posts cynical stuff because he himself is unable to quit the forum he posts religiously on. He can't not post. He has to, everyday. If you log in to have fun, he doesn't get it. He cant (won't) get 'it'. The whole cynical edgelord is just so *** cringe. Instead of asking why people return to a game on their own volition, maybe it's better to ask why you can't just stop posting and seeking attention on here when you are clearly so morally superior to everyone on here. Because again, he doesn't play the game, but he has to, without fail, keep posting on here, every single day. He can't stop. He'll respond to this too because he has to.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-12 04:26:18  
This is more entertaining than the game.

Gotta pass the time somehow. Don't tell them its a con they might stop taking the bait.
 Asura.Sensarity
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-05-12 05:40:31  
I'm gay.
[+]
By kishr 2024-05-12 06:16:47  
For me it was graphics, UI and new content stopped, mixed along with unreasonable grinds.
Outside that it was good while it lasted, it just became time to move on awhile back.
If it wasn't for windower and all of the community's qol add-ons, I would of sealed this game in smoke proof casket ages ago.
By kishr 2024-05-12 06:24:03  
Ranoutofspace said: »
He can't not post.
Nice double negative.
Also are you the internet police?
Who gives a fk about your views on what someone feels like doing.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-12 06:49:44  
The one part of the UI thing that would make me quit is the crystal travel system, without superwarp the game is really tiring if you multi box.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-12 06:53:58  
Any menuing is pure cancer.

Sometimes yes is up, sometimes yes is down, sometimes yes is default, are you sure, are you sure you're sure, are you sure sure that you're sure

Oh you hit down but the button didn't register so you weren't sure. Do the whole menu again.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-05-12 10:51:37  
RadialArcana said: »
The one part of the UI thing that would make me quit is the crystal travel system, without superwarp the game is really tiring if you multi box.

While I never used it... I remember hearing that superwarp had that one oddly listed teleport whereas if you curiously took it, it would soft-bind your character to an unknown location and basically *** you lmao. Gotta beg SE to free your from that limbo, in which case begged a ban.