Game: FFXI
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-11-07 14:53:01  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Shiva.Arislan said: »
I know this isn't serious advice for beginners, but it is worth a mention. Puddings have a strong healing move, so you need solid firepower to do this in a timely manner. However, if you are in a strong group and wanting to farm Starstones, it is 1-2 extra chances per run. Killing 15 Flans gives a reason to pull those in the first room. By the time those are dead, Naakuals will have (or be close to) spawned. Depending on time after Naakuals, and if the Bitzer is in the Pudding Room, you could choose to kill the rest, or you can exit and do the devices in F, G, and H.

I was being serious haha.

Like everything in Sortie it depends on which job you're on.

I mostly do solo runs on COR as a returnee (2020-era gear, DP and ML~20, R0) and I make sure to clear the puddings every run, not just for the blue chests but you get around ~2k muffins for clearing them out too. They die pretty fast with a 3-4 step SC and the entire room can be cleared in under 5-10mins for me.

Starstone drop rate from chests is so bad... getting an extra 1-2 blue chests per run should pay off in the long run.

Yeah, but you're a badass Corsair with the best guide on this entire forum, lol. The average returnees should probably not be considering this right away, unless they know they have the damage.

I mean you got to start somewhere for goals. You can do non-combat runs and get 5 blue chests just from running around IF you have basement access. But if you're having trouble with the flans you're probably also having a hard time with the D mobs because the D mobs can actually kill you and link aggressively.

Yep. It all depends on the individual or the group and what they want, so objectives should be determined before each run to maximize. Fomors are not bad to kill with physical damage, but they are dangerous in numbers, while Flans prefer magic damage. Absolute beginners will likely seek Sapphires, easy Gallimaufry, and to get used to the area. Fairly new players may try to maximize Sapphires, while thinking about Starstones from F & G.

After a while, it becomes about beating at least 1 or 2 major bosses per run for Gallimaufry, along with Naakuals and other objectives for Starstone chances. And then finally, when Starstones aren't needed, it is all about major bosses for maximum Gallimaufry. There are stages dependent on what players have, and how confident they are in doing objectives. It should be stressed that players fresh to Sortie should not try to run before they can walk.
Any experience with BLU soloing the 15 flans? I'm looking to adjust my solo run. I end with ~8500 muffins and 8-13 minutes remaining after objectives depending on mini/bitzer location. I already have an AoE magic/trust set prepped for A (leech) magic kills, so hopping down to E and cutting some other time wasting objective to guarantee I have 15+ minutes shouldn't be difficult.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-11-07 15:41:45  
I wanted to try this, but never got the opportunity to.
Interested in your experience.
Aural drape probably very valuable in this case.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-11-11 21:47:59  
I provided three updates to this guide today:

1) Earlier this week, I was doing a run and found the Obdella NM northeast of the large Leech room while checking Wide Scan. After we finished A boss, I saw that it had roamed southwest in to the Leech room. Because of this, I updated the NM map and added another line in to the entry on how to find the Obdella.

2) I added a section on how to get entry for, and how to defeat the C boss Skomora. This is recommended for inexperienced groups who may want try two Major NMs on the ground floor for extra Gallimaufry and Sapphire chances. However, it must be stressed that the group needs the damage to do this safely, so they must bring decent melee players, buffs, and heals. I won't be adding any more Major NMs to this guide.

3) And finally, I added a bolded note about opening chests for temporary items while outside of party. Do not do this! You will regret it. Also, don't open chests with NM items while players are disconnected, or they won't get them! So again, don't do this.
 Sylph.Kojako
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kojako
By Sylph.Kojako 2023-12-02 05:13:24  
Greetings all

Slightly off topic but an observation from a sortie beginner.
On todays run I received an old case from the first objective - killing five acuex. Initailly thought i must have killed obella but that was not the case.
Anybody else experienced this ?
 Bahamut.Noscrying
サーバ: Bahamut
user: NoScrying
By Bahamut.Noscrying 2023-12-02 07:01:53  
Sylph.Kojako said: »
Greetings all

On todays run I received an old case from the first objective - killing five acuex. Initailly thought i must have killed obella but that was not the case.

All objectives and NM's can drop cases.
(Well all non, teleport/weaken boss objectives)
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Sortie
By Taint 2023-12-02 08:15:47  
Sylph.Kojako said: »
Greetings all

Blue and Red drop cases. Basement objectives have better item rates.
By Seun 2023-12-02 20:14:15  
Taint said: »
Basement objectives have better item rates.

Facts?

If so, how much better? My data is skewed because I open far fewer chests in the basement than above it. It seemed worse to me for stones and cases. Drites I figured were universal.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-12-02 21:22:50  
Seun said: »
Taint said: »
Basement objectives have better item rates.

Facts?

If so, how much better? My data is skewed because I open far fewer chests in the basement than above it. It seemed worse to me for stones and cases. Drites I figured were universal.

Just from my observation, basement chests are more likely to drop old cases than ground floor chests. However, ground floor chests do not drop starstones, as they drop sapphires instead. I can also say I have never seen an Old Case +1 on the ground floor, but have seen several in the basement. Octahedrites seem fairly common in the basement. I don't have any numbers to back this up, though.
By Seun 2023-12-02 23:17:38  
I can also say I have never seen an Old Case +1 on the ground floor, but have seen several in the basement.

Greater majority of my +1 cases came from the ground floor. I always assumed that the rates for cases, +1 cases and -drites were static. Starstones seem to have lower rates than Sapphires, but again this could just be exaggerated due to having opened so many more ground floor chests.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-12-03 15:38:57  
I actually got my first +1 box from the red obdella chest last night.
[+]
By K123 2023-12-03 16:22:58  
I've gotten one from A boss at least once
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-12-03 17:04:17  
Just for clarity, I said "just from my observation". I have no hard numbers to back that up, it's just what I have experienced after farming the ground floor a lot, and then switching to doing basement objectives more. It could very well be a static drop rate across all the floors, but in my experience, I've had more +1 cases from basement, but maybe I'm just luckier in those areas.
By Seun 2023-12-03 19:17:05  
I don't think anyone is calling you out for misrepresentation, we just had different experiences. That's why I lean toward a static drop rate for blue/red chests. I've also had some very streaky runs where I go a few runs with nothing and then it randomly rains cases and stones.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [96 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-03-08 19:52:02  
It has been a while since I made this guide, and I occasionally get some sharing their gratitude for it. My group remains focused on Dhartok & Naakuals, so I just wanted to leave some tips here to save other groups of a similar level some time.

After entering A basement (E), take note of the timer, and then stand at the gadget until exactly 5 minutes have transpired. You can buff while you wait. This spawns the Naakuals so they will be waiting for you after Dhartok. If your group is using a Scholar, you can potentially kill Dhartok using Tabula Rasa and have time left over for additional buffs (like another Embrava) before heading to Naakuals.

Make sure the Corsair gives you Cutting Cards as this may, but won't always, lower your Tabula Rasa timer, to make it ready again for the 2nd set of Naakuals in B basement (F). You simply need one person to leave this basement and re-enter to spawn them. Bring a tank who can pull the 2nd set with job abilities, because spells will aggro nearby elementals.