Editing String Files

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Dat Modding » Editing string files
Editing string files
By NuclearSam 2023-06-28 10:38:06  
Hey guys, I am currently trying to figure out a way to mod the french translation back into the game (as I recently found out that all the french .dats are still in the files) but for this I'd need to be able to edit the string files so that they'd "match" with the english files, to add some lines here and there, etc.

What should I use to edit those strings? Texture editing already has a bunch of tools but I haven't been able to find anything for the string .dats. POLUtils is pretty useful for reading them but I can't edit them with it.
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-28 14:37:00  
I can't help you with this task, I'm just here to point out that there's *a lot* of text that hasn't been added in the French version since it was abandoned.

Also the new installer is now identical for both US and EU accounts so I don't even know if new installs do have those strings.
Worth investigating.
By NuclearSam 2023-06-28 15:00:32  
Yes I am aware that there was a lot of text added since 2014, I would mostly like to do this for the main missions of the expansions, I took a look at the dialogue and the translation was actually pretty solid so it feels like kind of a waste.

I've only been playing for a year or so but I have those strings in my files.
By RadialArcana 2023-06-28 15:59:41  
This is way more work than you think it is.
By NuclearSam 2023-06-28 16:12:28  
Eh I mean I know it's not gonna be easy, this is just something I wanna do for myself and I'll at least try