users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Barrage
Barrage
 Fairy.Haxorking
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 17:44:15  
In my boredom I decided to do some research on barrage, specifically how it's affected by accuracy. All information assumes that an 8 hit barrage is possible, and that the "Barrage"+1 effect from the new Desultor Tassets both stacks with and acts exactly as effect on Hunter's Bracers +1.
Note: Accuracy is measured in hit percentage, not by ranged accuracy.

User submitted image

This graph details the likelihood at achieving at least each number of hits from 95% (capped accuracy)to 0% accuracy. As you can see, on the higher hits even a slight decrease in accuracy can drastically decrease the chance at achieving the higher number of hits (5% decrease in accuracy can reduce the chance of an 8th hit by as much as 23%)

Looking at this, the chance of an eight hit is extremely low, approximately 66% at 95% accuracy, 43% at 90% accuracy, 27% at 85% accuracy and 17% at 80% accuracy. The chances having capped accuracy on anything of significance is rather low, which brings into question the usefulness of the extra "barrage"+1, personally I don't believe it's worth it however technically because "barrage"+1 is not Enhances "Barrage it might do something completely different for example add 1 hit to barrage guaranteed neglecting hit/miss. Though I wouldn't count on it.

User submitted image

This graph models average maximum damage over time relative to accuracy from 95% (capped accuracy) to 0% accuracy. This graph is the really definitive one, and I don't believe it needs any explanation, it's really self conclusive.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-02 17:52:29  
You've only done half the math required. Consider that an 8-hit Barrage is a 14.3% improvement over a 7-hit Barrage and your first goal with Barrage is to cap racc, so we can safely assume 90%+ racc. Adding a hit will then on average be a .663*.143=9.48% improvement to average Barrage damage. Care to find me something else you could put in the leg slot that would give you that significant an increase for Barrage damage? For RNG, the Barrage augment is potentially the best augment you can choose. Value vs RACC/RATK legs used more extensively varies with your gear selection.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 18:00:24  
For barrage of course it's the best piece, however that's not necessarily the issue. With the new legs it's possible to add racc+7 ratk+7 which is a great TP piece. Depending on what you do (and this is solely dependent on the players gaming habits) the tp piece may be more valuable than the barrage piece. Though to begin with I was more trying to demonstrate the importance of accuracy rather than debate the value of the barrage+1 stat
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-02 18:06:00  
Makes it seem kinda lame. 9.5% increase in dmg on an ability every 5 mins... I mean sure its nice but all the other cool things you can do with these legs
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-02 18:08:42  
Can the first graph also be used in the same way of showing value of accuracy for any multi-hit WS given the shared values of Accuracy, amount of hits and chance of landing them? For instance, Asuran fists equating to an 8-hit barrage?

I think Rukenshin did a similar graph on his LJ awhile ago for Guillotine but was also including DA chances and such so it wasn't as cut and dry.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-02 18:11:30  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Can the first graph also be used in the same way of showing value of accuracy for any multi-hit WS given the shared values of Accuracy, amount of hits and chance of landing them? For instance, Asuran fists equating to an 8-hit barrage? I think Rukenshin did a similar graph on his LJ awhile ago for Guillotine but was also including DA chances and such so it wasn't as cut and dry.

That's kinda the problem. Pretty much anyone using a multi-hit weaponskill is gunna have double and/or triple attack. Maybe even multihit weapons playing into it as well.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 18:17:52  
These graphs would mean nothing for anything but barrage. With barrage, if you miss a hit all subsequent hits do not fire, with multi hit weaponskills even if you miss one hit you still have a chance at hitting on each of the remaining hits, which means accuracy would be slighly less important.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-02 18:22:15  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
These graphs would mean nothing for anything but barrage. With barrage, if you miss a hit all subsequent hits do not fire, with multi hit weaponskills even if you miss one hit you still have a chance at hitting on each of the remaining hits, which means accuracy would be slighly less important.
Does the graph I posted not apply then? I can remove if so, I don't want to confuse anyone.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 18:27:17  
The way barrage and multi hit weaponskills work it's impossible to compare them, because they work on entirely different systems.

For example, with an 8 hit barrage, if you miss the first hit, all 8 hits miss instantly while in an 8 hit weaponskill even if you miss the first hit all 7 other hits can still land. It's just entirely different data
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 18:55:37  
One thing I've been wondering though, is it necessary to have the af+1 gloves equipped while firing barrage? Or is it only needed for the ability? I'm aware wiki says that it's only needed on the ability, but has anyone confirmed this?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-02 19:21:41  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
For barrage of course it's the best piece, however that's not necessarily the issue. With the new legs it's possible to add racc 7 ratk 7 which is a great TP piece. Depending on what you do (and this is solely dependent on the players gaming habits) the tp piece may be more valuable than the barrage piece.

This is the point I was driving at, though I had to end my post early as I was called away. There's no baseline for comparison to any other option. How do these compare to the other augments? To available pieces? What about the use of these instead of Hunter's Bracers +1, with SKote or Crimson Finger Gauntlets to add additional RACC?

Quote:
Though to begin with I was more trying to demonstrate the importance of accuracy rather than debate the value of the barrage 1 stat

I apologize for missing this, I was under the impression it was a statement of value concerning the augment itself. In that case, I have a different issue to raise.

Quote:
The chances having capped accuracy on anything of significance is rather low

With this build and full Marskmanship merits as a Hume RNG I have 452-454 RACC depending on subjob (legs reflect the choice of RACC+7 augment, add 2 AGI to mirror augmented pant's stats). I've been told you need ~510 racc to cap on Dark Ixion - I can do just that in this build with Pot-au-feu. In fact, that set has 520 racc with food, meaning you could remove a few items for slightly less accurate counterparts. RNG is highly accurate and if you're not at or near the racc cap on almost everything in this game with properly tuned gear sets and food, I'd assert you're not set up properly.

Obvious concessions have to be made towards the fact that your TP racc could be slightly lower depending on gear and x-hit concerns, but I really think you're underestimating RNG's capability to cap hitrate on HNM.
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-11-02 19:26:58  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
One thing I've been wondering though, is it necessary to have the af 1 gloves equipped while firing barrage? Or is it only needed for the ability? I'm aware wiki says that it's only needed on the ability, but has anyone confirmed this?

Yes, it is required to have them equipped while firing Barrage.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 19:27:48  
Well as I said, it depends on the person themselves. Not every ranger has a full accuracy set, and sometimes it's better to use ratk food instead of racc food. This can also vary greatly depending on your ls, if you have a bunch of brds then naturally you're going to have very high accuracy but not every LS has that. It really comes down to whether you'd personally be better off with a tp piece or a barrage piece
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2009-11-02 19:42:32  
Thinking about it though... Because you need to have hunter's bracers +1 equipped while firing barrage you loose the accuracy from s. or w. kote. With the addition of these pants, one could always keep the kote and use the the pants with no loss in accuracy whatsoever and still have a 7 hit barrage
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [70 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Yaibal
サーバ: Siren
user: yaibal
By Siren.Yaibal 2010-01-11 15:28:21  
Percentage wise.. what is the chance at landing a 6 hit barrage?
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-11 15:31:00  
Assuming capped ACC, 73.5%.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [149 days between previous and next post]
By Wackatramp 2010-06-09 18:58:40  
Hmm, so has anyone tested barrage with the new multiple-hit bows? Wouldn't that mean a possible (but extremely rare) 16 hit barrage with an 8 hit barrage set? Even though that's highly unlikely that the double attack rate will proc 8 times, could we not say it could be a common 10-12 hit barrage?

Correct me if in wrong please, but it seems legit.
 Fenrir.Luarania
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-09 19:06:29  
Max melee hits caps at 8, I can only assume the same would be true for ranged attacks as well.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-09 19:07:24  
Doesn't proc on Barrage.
By Wackatramp 2010-06-09 19:35:47  
At all? Lame sauce. Even if it is 8 hit caps for melée, a double attack proc on a barrage would make a 8 hit barrage even more do-able, mid 70% range. Damn it SE...
By Wackatramp 2010-06-09 19:37:55  
Double post, fat fingers. Not 70%