Bahamut.Suph
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-12-05 07:16:47  
You can clear wave 3 bosses with just 6 people

Sterk did it here with 2 x TriBoxes

YouTube Video Placeholder

I believe they are RUN, RDM, GEO, BRD, COR... and WHM?
 Asura.Ramsy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2021-12-05 11:37:06  
I haven’t played in a while so I don’t have SS for for wave 2 bosses my groups did in the following areas.

Sandy:
Between the merchant stands by East Ron entrance. You can check your range in south sandy before even entering but you should have two tanks. One tank stands on the pole on one end and the other on the other pole on the other side. Hate reset is conal so he will turn to the second tank one it goes off and bounce between. DDs will stand right right up against him on the side. This is supper important as the whm will be up on the bridge. Again you can check your ranges before you even enter with your group which is great.

Never bothered with carols for this one, but we have one bard do def songs

Bastok:
For bastok we decided to fight at the mog house. Tanks pile up in one corner and DDs each pick their sides of the boss to stand on. No issues with knockback as they go right to the side wall.Whm/Rdm are standing over at that wall that’s directly across from where the mog doors are.

We do have earth carols for this ones. Brd that’s doing def songs does carolx2/Minnex2/dirge.

Windy: Kill it at its spawn but drag it to a corner. One of the easier ones for us and we do use wind carol fo this one.

Jeuno:
For jeuno we kill the boss directly where we enter at. We use both fire and thunder carols. Mages are directly on the ledge in between the wind and ice circles so it’s important that once the goblin dies they don’t move. Tanks pull the goblin to the very bottom of the platform and tank it there and DDs stand on the very first step. Pretty similar to killing at mog house and using the bridge there, but we have always liked starting on this side.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-05 15:02:36  
Yes Suph, I checked over those videos for strategies. The coordination is on another level, and having less TP feed makes things safer. It's good to see what's possible though.

Question about Jeuno. Do people have the mages come down from the ledge before Obstatrix die? Or do you go for the Volte mobs at the Fire circle afterward?
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-05 15:07:53  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Question about Jeuno. Do people have the mages come down from the ledge before Obstatrix die? Or do you go for the Volte mobs at the Fire circle afterward?

Yeah, mages make a b-line for the stairs in the final moments of the fight. This allows you to recover/rebuff if needed and then pull circles in a controlled manner.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-05 15:17:35  
Odin.Foxmulder said: »

Yeah, mages make a b-line for the stairs in the final moments of the fight. This allows you to recover/rebuff if needed and then pull circles in a controlled manner.

Thought so. We messed this up in our last run and the fire circle was aggroed, which made it impossible to pull. I would say about 10% they should come down to the stairs, just to be sure they don't end up on top of the fetter as it spawns.

What subjobs do people encourage the melee to use?
 Bahamut.Suph
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-12-05 19:04:10  
What subjobs do people encourage the melee to use?

If we're going with full buff, I usually just do /sam or /drg.

Like War/Sam, Sam/Drg, Mnk/Drg

Mob don't last long enough to be a threat and bosses should be on the tank anyway
By dontclickme 2021-12-06 12:54:29  
Yes Suph, I checked over those videos for strategies. The coordination is on another level, and having less TP feed makes things safer. It's good to see what's possible though.

you can always just have the mages stay on the bridge and pull the fire circle to where obstatrix was fought. this completely eliminates the possibility that someone wasn't paying attention and them accidently pulling the circle. also, the spot is great for using the wall to line up the adds to begin with.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-06 13:29:28  
Why are people sending mages to the bridge in the first place? There's plenty of room on the stairs if you feel like you need to separate for whatever reason.
[+]
 Asura.Wotasu
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-12-06 13:37:06  
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
Why are people sending mages to the bridge in the first place? There's plenty of room on the stairs if you feel like you need to separate for whatever reason.
It's the hight diffrence to avoid bad AoE's
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-06 16:34:53  
I know how height difference works, I'm trying to figure out what TP move people are so afraid of that they think they need the bridge instead of just backing up the stairs.

The only remotely annoying thing Obstatrix can do is roll a 9 on Goblin Dice.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-06 16:49:52  
You have a point Lowen. The only TP moves to reach mages are Bomb Hurl and Crockpot, which are 25 yalms. Bomb Hurl wouldn't hurt too much with Barfira on? Crockpot has Stun, but that wouldn't be on long enough to cause any serious issues?

Mages having to heal or unsilence themselves (from a 9 Goblin Dice) is the only drawback of being on the stairs. Although, this is negated by standing 25 yalms away when not healing, and popping remedy for silence takes two seconds. There's also the possibility of AoE Sleep if it rolls an 8.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-07 12:51:34  
Does it really matter which order you kill fetters in?
 Asura.Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-12-07 13:25:57  
Nothing whatsoever.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-07 14:08:57  
Asura.Wotasu said: »
Nothing whatsoever.

Awesome, thank you.

Another big question about Fearsinger. I'm guessing the Gu'Dha moves are 25 yalms? Which would make a height difference helpful to a newer group. I was looking at the camps, and there are three options.

1) Mog House, 2) Stables, 3) Ramp near Mid-Boss.

The first two do not provide a height advantage, but the third does. The statues you'd need to take down differs, depending which way you go, but there should not be much of a difference. You could avoid the four statues grouped together in the square after the mid-boss, but the chances of an alliance aggroing that is too high.

Then there's the one next to the alleyway behind the Auction House, which I don't think can be avoided? Because you can hug the left wall to get past that cluster of statues in sight of the Gustaberg zone. Of course, from here you kill the three in front of Fearsinger. Add the statues together from mid-boss to zone boss, and you get a maximum of 10, if fighting Fearsinger at Camp 1 or 2.

Now, if you want to do Camp 3, you'd take out the statue near the ramp, and the one behind the Auction House. This ensures someone can pull Fearsinger safely behind the AH without aggroing any statues. This bumps the kill count of statues from 10 to 12. Is it worth it? I'd like to think so, especially if the group isn't heavy on the DD side. Sure, if you have 6 DD buffed to the max, then just go for option 1 or 2, but if you're only managing 2-3 DD? Option 3 becomes more appealing, just to help the backline survive the last 50%.

Asura.Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-12-07 14:29:24  
E-6 is a common spot as well, so Ive seen. I quite sure his AoE moves are 30' yalms.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-07 14:39:20  
If you're intending to use height for anything in Bastok, you're going to have to kill a lot more statues. The only two places you can achieve a height advantage are by the Zehrun Mines entrance or the alley behind the AH. I don't know why that map doesn't show them, but there are 4-5 statues on the upper catwalk and probably 7-8 more on the lower level in the alley (and two inside the stairs to get down there). There are also more statues than shown by the Mines entrance. There are 3-4 wandering the middle space where the Light Circle would be and if you wanted to use the ramp to the Dark circle instead, you'll need to kill the entire alley of 6-7 below the ramp.

I don't really understand the obsession with height abuse, honestly. You're going to be curaga-ing your melee DDs anyway, just stand together and you should have no issues, especially if you're using Geo or Indi Barrier. Trying to kite the boss across the zone or stranding your support behind a fetter just seems like needless complication.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-07 14:44:15  
Asura.Wotasu said: »
E-6 is a common spot as well, so Ive seen. I quite sure his AoE moves are 30' yalms.

Yep, that's what I meant by camp #3. I just made up these maps for alternative routes on wave 2, depending on the camp you wish to use. I plan on making some maps for the other zones too.

The first map shows the group sneaking past the cluster of statues next to the Auction House. A maximum kill count of 10 statues, although the four at the square can be bypassed with good timing. This is for if you plan on killing Fearsinger at the Mog House or Stables.

Second map shows a route behind the Auction House. This is to give a free route to pull Fearsinger back to camp #3 for the height advantage. It may take up to 13 statues to make this safe. You can have someone pull Fearsinger across the zone while your Bards buff.

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
If you're intending to use height for anything in Bastok, you're going to have to kill a lot more statues. The only two places you can achieve a height advantage are by the Zehrun Mines entrance or the alley behind the AH. I don't know why that map doesn't show them, but there are 4-5 statues on the upper catwalk and probably 7-8 more on the lower level in the alley (and two inside the stairs to get down there). There are also more statues than shown by the Mines entrance. There are 3-4 wandering the middle space where the Light Circle would be and if you wanted to use the ramp to the Dark circle instead, you'll need to kill the entire alley of 6-7 below the ramp.

I don't really understand the obsession with height abuse, honestly. You're going to be curaga-ing your melee DDs anyway, just stand together and you should have no issues, especially if you're using Geo or Indi Barrier. Trying to kite the boss across the zone or stranding your support behind a fetter just seems like needless complication.

This is what the thread is for, to figure out why groups do things a certain way. Two extra statues to get a height advantage? Might take slightly longer to set up, but if the group is struggling to kill it quickly, would it not save time in the long run?

Sure, if you have an alliance of 18 with 6 heavy DD buffed to the extreme, then just kill it where it is. But we're thinking about groups who are new to this content who may not be as fine tuned, so would they not prefer the advantage of their healers not dealing with Gu'Dha?

Edit: See where #3 is on the map? The camp isn't where you suggested, it's the other ramp, which after looking at the video on the previous page, it takes two to make that area safe, and the extra behind AH to make it a clean pull.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-07 22:25:09  
I don't think alliance size has much to do with anything. The more people you have the more curing you need to do. The fewer people you have, the less TP spam it's going to do. I'd rather teach people how to buff and prepare for something than just show them how to abuse elevation, because there will be times where there's no elevation to abuse.
 Cerberus.Dekar
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2021-12-07 22:35:55  
Thanks for the guide! Heads up, it lists Shell Crusher as club instead of staff.
[+]
 Asura.Ramsy
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2021-12-07 22:52:47  
I’ve done the Quad in both the ramp and at mog and I prefer killing at the MH. Of the two bards one does SV Earth Carolx2/Minne x2/ Dirge. Goes in DD pts Bolster fury/Barrier and entrust attunement. There usually isn’t much damage from the aoe that you have to worry about any deaths. Also mages can stand at max distance and even farther and come in and cure as needed.

Doing this one also saves time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2021-12-08 07:01:24  
Bahamut.Suph said: »
You can clear wave 3 bosses with just 6 people

Sterk did it here with 2 x TriBoxes

YouTube Video Placeholder

I believe they are RUN, RDM, GEO, BRD, COR... and WHM?
Close. RUN RDM GEO COR THF BRD. The GEO RDM and BRD do all the healing. Both RDM and BRD are subbed WHM. A majority of the DPS effected by the RUN and THF.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-12-08 09:15:55  
This is what the thread is for, to figure out why groups do things a certain way. Two extra statues to get a height advantage? Might take slightly longer to set up, but if the group is struggling to kill it quickly, would it not save time in the long run?

If you're using a melee strategy, then it'd be more logical to address the root issues behind slow kills or folks getting KO'ed than try to sidestep them with height advantages. A good chunk of your alliance will need to be in melee range anyway. It may just take double checking defensive buffs, or optimizing them a bit, making sure folks are using DT sets, etc.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-08 12:16:26  
Some good feedback guys, there's a few things my pearlsack pointed out that I should change, so the guide will get an update later tonight.

And yes, I agree, you'd rather not have to deal with the height thing, especially if it means taking more time, but it doesn't hurt to suggest it as an option if a group wanted to try it that way. Also, my group did the Quadav at the Mog House and killed it on our first attempt a few weeks ago. It wasn't as simple as the Goblin, but I'm sure it will get easier the more we do it.

On to a wave 3 question, which I know is jumping the gun slightly, but my group is doing San d'Oria tomorrow. How do you cut down on Volte's skillchain damage? I got caught out by that a few times on Rune, and yes I was in DT sets.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-12-08 12:22:49  
Want one piece of advice for new groups for Dyna-D?

Don't let everyone come on their "mostest favorite job". MAKE people come GEO, BRD, and healers so you have enough for a proper buff array- and that means more than just l33t dmg. It means proper defensive buffing, it means bringing a RDM to assist with evasion/meva issues on wave 3. It means understanding haste cap, accuracy needs, and alliance balance.

You can do workarounds for improper buffing, like height difference or limiting TP gain (though this last one is never a bad idea). Or you can address the real issue- when groups enter Dyna-D with 11 people all wanting unlocks, 1 BRD, 1 GEO, and no RDM, no amount of cheese will cover up the flaws.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-12-08 12:24:15  
Some good feedback guys, there's a few things my pearlsack pointed out that I should change, so the guide will get an update later tonight.

And yes, I agree, you'd rather not have to deal with the height thing, especially if it means taking more time, but it doesn't hurt to suggest it as an option if a group wanted to try it that way. Also, my group did the Quadav at the Mog House and killed it on our first attempt a few weeks ago. It wasn't as simple as the Goblin, but I'm sure it will get easier the more we do it.

On to a wave 3 question, which I know is jumping the gun slightly, but my group is doing San d'Oria tomorrow. How do you cut down on Volte's skillchain damage? I got caught out by that a few times on Rune, and yes I was in DT sets.

For me the best method for mitigating skill chain damage was to work on mitigating the WS Damage. Seems like an obvious answer, but it's really what the key to it. I primarily tank on PLD, so a lil different, but if I have to spend a little extra time positioning the mobs to make sure they're all in front of me so I have 95%+ blockrate then that's what I do. Taking that extra 10-15s to get perfect positioning is a better time saver than being dead.

I know it's easier on PLD than RUN as well, but capped DT in midcast sets goes a long way as well. Utilizing stuff like Nyame and DT accessories can help a lot just throwing them in your midcast in slots you can either afford to give up or don't need a specific item in.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-08 12:35:23  
This is really sound advice Boposhopo, I should make some extra sets exclusively for wave 3, so I'm never out of damage taken. I mean, to people who do wave 3 on a regular basis, this is simple stuff, but we're learning and that includes myself.

Celebrindal, we farmed wave 1 and 2 for months specifically to get everyone their unlocks so when we finally got around to zone bosses and beyond, they had no excuse if I asked them to go something. No one goes on their "mostest favorite job", they are all very aware they need to be ready on what I ask them to be on.

This group has not been doing wave 3 for long, so give us some time, we'll get better, I'm sure of it. This thread was made specifically to help us leave no stone unturned on improving our game, while also serving as somewhere a brand new group can turn to for sound strategies. We're only doing this weekly, and I'm really impressed by how far we have got, with what was originally two entirely different groups coming together for the common goal.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-12-08 12:38:22  

Celebrindal, we farmed wave 1 and 2 for months specifically to get everyone their unlocks so when we finally got around to attempting wave 3, they had no excuse if I asked them to go something. No one goes on their "mostest favorite job", they are all very aware that they need to be ready on what I ask them to be on.

This group has not been doing wave 3 very long, so give us some time, we'll get better, I'm sure of it. This thread was made specifically to help us leave no stone unturned on improving our game, while also serving as somewhere a brand new group can turn to for sound strategies. We're only doing this weekly, and I'm really impressed by how far we have got as what was originally two entirely different groups coming together for the common goal.

So is this an advice thread for new groups, or a blog of your groups' experiences? Your group may understand that we don't always get to come on our favorite job and the needs of the group must be addressed, but other groups may be reading your info and not understand simple game math like accuracy thresholds and haste cap. Then, when they hit wave2 boss and all of a sudden having that Attunement bubble or an extra Knights Minne in the mix actually matter, its completely foreign to them.

If this is a tread designed for new groups, assume nothing.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-08 12:42:48  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Celebrindal, we farmed wave 1 and 2 for months specifically to get everyone their unlocks so when we finally got around to attempting wave 3, they had no excuse if I asked them to go something. No one goes on their "mostest favorite job", they are all very aware that they need to be ready on what I ask them to be on.

This group has not been doing wave 3 very long, so give us some time, we'll get better, I'm sure of it. This thread was made specifically to help us leave no stone unturned on improving our game, while also serving as somewhere a brand new group can turn to for sound strategies. We're only doing this weekly, and I'm really impressed by how far we have got as what was originally two entirely different groups coming together for the common goal.

So is this an advice thread for new groups, or a blog of your groups' experiences? Your group may understand that we don't always get to come on our favorite job and the needs of the group must be addressed, but other groups may be reading your info and not understand simple game math like accuracy thresholds and haste cap. Then, when they hit wave2 boss and all of a sudden having that Attunement bubble or an extra Knights Minne in the mix actually matter, its completely foreign to them.

If this is a tread designed for new groups, assume nothing.

Well, it's a bit of both? If they can't understand how to gear properly, I have a guide to make basic sets from scratch as well. By addressing issues with the group, it gives feedback that others may be able to use in future. But yeah, every group is different, so this is why alternate strategies can be shared as well.

I did this previously with my Vagary Linkshell. Information was gathered here based on my linkshell's experience, and it turned in to a place were feedback turned in to a guide that others could read and understand from the perspective of a new group.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-08 13:52:51  
Cerberus.Dekar said: »
Thanks for the guide! Heads up, it lists Shell Crusher as club instead of staff.

Good spot! This has been updated.

Other updates include:

- Geomancer's debuffs being nerfed by 75% makes things like GEO-Frailty weaker than they usually are. Also, I previously gave the impression of using GEO-Fury in the tank pt. This is a party buff, so would not affect the DD in another party. A tank GEO can choose something else (like Attunement), while melee party GEO's can Fury. This was an oversight on my part because I do not play GEO.

- Somehow forgot Addle in the spell list for RDMs.

- Added Boposhopo's advice on tanking wave 3 to RUN & PLD.

- Beastmen have dual jobs, so I added this to the list to clarify. I'd still target them the same way, but the order is a groups preference.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-12-08 14:15:26  
Dirge is realllly useful on wave 3. I don't know how your group is going to do it, or whether you'll have multiple DD parties, but when I was doing dynamis, all our DDs had dirge for wave 3. Tanks would build hate on volte while the minis were killed, and we would never have issues where the tank lost hate once DDs moved to the Volte. Really eliminates those random, mob turns to WS a fragile DD to the face moments that a lot of groups seem to have.

We would usually maintain brd rotation when we did it, so I'm speaking from a large group perspective.

Our bubbles were usually all party based, DDs usually Indi-Barrier/Geo-Fury. Tanks, not sure on indi-bubble, but Geo-Barrier definitely. Volte's most dangerous damage type is physical if they start putting together skillchains.

Tank party usually had a rdm that was giving whole alliance Haste II, and generally Debuffing everything. Stymie Silence the volte RDM usually, to avoid all those aoe status debuffs they throw around... lame volte mobs having all AoE debuffs.

Edit: Accidentally swapped, geo bubbles for DDs