users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Trouble catching Monke-Onke
Trouble catching Monke-Onke
 Leviathan.Cymmina
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-01-21 06:09:04  
I have 56 fishing, more than enough for Monkes, so I figured I'd fish them to skill up my alchemy (65) on venom potions. It's easier to catch a single Monke than it is to go after 2 ogre eels and risk throwing away another shrimp lure on a line snap (ugh). I was fishing up Monkes no problem a few weeks ago with a worm lure at the Eastern Sarutabaruta lake (F-10). Now, I'm not catching anything at all, not even monsters.

The only people near me were a couple bots fishing moat carp. The last two times I went out there it was a crescent and last quarter moon, not that the phases of the moon seem to change anything on any other fish I've gone after.

Did I just have incredibly good luck before?
 Odin.Trebla
サーバ: Odin
user: Trebla
By Odin.Trebla 2008-01-22 07:14:16  
if u can't catch anything, you character would possibly be fatigued.
There is a certain amount of fishes you can catch per day.
 Midgardsormr.Dannith
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Dannith
By Midgardsormr.Dannith 2008-01-29 13:08:25  
I believe that certain number is set at 100 of a certain item per RL day.
 Ifrit.Ravahan
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Ravahan
By Ifrit.Ravahan 2008-02-19 20:40:31  
Its somewhere closer to 200 I believe, and its any fish. Also, it goes by degrees which also increase the delay necessary between casts slightly, which is why its recommended you don't do any fishing before a Bringand's Chart.

I doubt that he's catching enough fish to totally destroy his chance at them...

East Saruta seems to be the best place to hook those, but you might try a different body of water. I think there are some pools near the city you can fish in (I've not had much luck with that lake in the past myself). Good luck ^^
 Phoenix.Felonius
サーバ: Phoenix
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2008-03-10 07:27:47  

Fatigue is calculated based on the fish, it isn't the same across the board.
For example you may be able to fish up 200 moat carp before becoming fatigued, but you may only be able to fish up 100 black sole before becoming fatigued.

As Ravahan stated though, overall fatigue is cross fish, so you might be able to catch 25 black sole and 150 moat carp before becoming fatigued.
 Ifrit.Ravahan
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Ravahan
By Ifrit.Ravahan 2008-03-10 09:41:18  
Good to know, Felonius. Any specific info on how that works floatin' around?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1295 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-26 15:17:31  
my fishing is 49 and I tried getting this for the lv50 guild test item, the fish caps at 51 and it wouldnt let me reel 4 of them in a row due to lack of skill and then it broke my lure.. is there some trick to catching this? or do I have to pay someone else to do it :(
 Sylph.Deathknight
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-09-26 15:57:09  
Some details help here. Were you using a shrimp lure in East Sarutabaruta? What rod did you use?
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-26 16:08:25  
single hook rod shrimp lure in east sarutabaruta it was hooking the !!! and after i fought them down it wouldnt let me reel them in, 49 skill 51 for that fish's cap
 Carbuncle.Kunisama
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Kunimitsu
By Carbuncle.Kunisama 2011-09-26 16:17:46  
I did this a few days ago at 49 skill too for rankup. Didn't have any trouble, was using lu shangs though. Youre gonna need a lu shangs soon anyway or you will be getting alot more line snaps, go get one! :)
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-26 16:21:52  
ok :( just wanted to make sure I could before i spent more on lures/rods lol thank you
 Sylph.Deathknight
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Deathknight 2011-09-27 10:44:54  
At this stage, you will have continue to have issues until you obtain a Lu. Doing so will significantly reduce many line/rod snaps. For now though, as Revanzfett mentioned, just keep plugging away until success. A composite rod is more appropriate for most cases of large fish as well.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-27 11:18:58  
I personally enjoyed halcyon much more than composite although I used it under certain situations. Halcyon is just so flexible and rather cheap. The good old days when I played only on ps2. I did eventually finish my lu shang quest and proceeded to get 100 from there.

Then fish prices fell like a rock I guess because of some huge RMT banning, so everyone was "fixing" the prices. Black Sole went from 80k a stack to 10k a stack in 48 hours or something, just quit fishing after that really and sold the rod. Picked fishing back up maybe 2 years ago, got another lu shang and worked on ebisu. Love fishing ever since no matter the prices. It is nice knowing you can go out and fish anything and never have to worry about breaking the rod ever again, and laugh at the fact that your carrying 30-50 lures instead >_>

btw

Midgardsormr.Dannith said: »
I believe that certain number is set at 100 of a certain item per RL day.
Phoenix.Felonius said: »
For example you may be able to fish up 200 moat carp before becoming fatigued, but you may only be able to fish up 100 black sole before becoming fatigued.

As Ravahan stated though, overall fatigue is cross fish, so you might be able to catch 25 black sole and 150 moat carp before becoming fatigued.
Every single fish is 200, unless you have ebisu then I think its like 215 or something. You may not be able to catch 200 in 24 hours, but it has no cap until you reach that point. People mistaken the "slow down and 20 no bites" as fatigue. True, it might be fatigue, but your not capped out. Everyone has to deal with slow times and seems like nothing is in the water, but if you stick it out you'll get a bite eventually. Pay attention to the season your fishing in currently, and the weather. Both are large factors on bite rate. Weather probably isn't a factor actually, and probably is just me blaming something that isn't at fault, it just seems to be that way sometimes.

Fishing is a test of your endurance and determination after all, unless your lame and all you do is use a bot~! The system is set up to separate the weak fishers from the strong during stagnant times where it gives you nothing in return for your effort. It wants you to keep going before it gives you more fish, if it gave you fish all the time then that water must be filled with fish (moat carp) or its the ocean. If it gave you an endless supply of fish no matter how difficult the fish is and how rare it should be, then there would be no variety in fishing and everything would be the same.

The cap is 200 (unless you have ebisu then it is like 215 or something) on all fish. That is fact. There will be times when it seems like your fatigued, and nothing will come your way not even monsters or crappy items, but your not capped out.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-09-28 05:24:28  
Phoenix.Felonius said: »

this info is not entirely correct
fishing fattique for moat and black sole is both 200

i fish up both on a daily basis so blacksoll does not count as "more" than a moat carp

however do note that the 200 fish limit is not per fish but per pullup so if you can pull up say 3 sandfish is still only counts as 1 towards the fishin fattique
release fish/items does not count towards this limit

I've yet to experience a fish that i could not make 200 pullups on on a daily basis ( i haven't done epic fish yet)
 Cerberus.Choerilos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Choerilos
By Cerberus.Choerilos 2011-09-28 06:24:52  
Just caught one with Lu Shang at 33 fishing and +5 in gear, first cast in the lake in Saruta, easy fight, will save it for the rank up. Guess Lu Shang does make a difference.
 Cerberus.Elgato
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Elgato 2011-09-28 07:57:08  
Quote:
however do note that the 200 fish limit is not per fish but per pullup so if you can pull up say 3 sandfish is still only counts as 1 towards the fishin fattique

Not true unfortunately. Back when I fished Yellow Globes I still capped at 200/day despite catching 2 or 3 at a time. Here's how it works:

-Every fish you catch or let go b/c of a full bag counts towards the 200.
-Line/rod snaps where you got the fishes stamina to 0 count towards the 200.
-Line snaps from hitting enter before 0 stamina DO NOT count towards the 200.
-An ebisu raises the fishing cap by 5% to 210/day (BFD).
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-09-28 19:06:19  
Cerberus.Elgato said: »
Quote:

Not true unfortunately. Back when I fished Yellow Globes I still capped at 200/day despite catching 2 or 3 at a time. Here's how it works:

-Every fish you catch or let go b/c of a full bag counts towards the 200.
-Line/rod snaps where you got the fishes stamina to 0 count towards the 200.
-Line snaps from hitting enter before 0 stamina DO NOT count towards the 200.
-An ebisu raises the fishing cap by 5% to 210/day (BFD).

hmm actually this was not info for my own experience. just ppl in my ls telling me they fished up 500 fish a day but it was fish where you pull up 1-3 at a time.

ima go test this to confirm it ^.^

just show you need to always to be skeptic about what ppl say about this game without a test data to back it up. to much eyeballing/guessing around
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-28 19:11:16  
I'm sure its 200, but the fish you catch more than 1 of are mostly pre level 60 anyways so you wont be dealing with them that much.
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-28 23:11:43  
Sylph.Deathknight said: »
At this stage, you will have continue to have issues until you obtain a Lu. Doing so will significantly reduce many line/rod snaps. For now though, as Revanzfett mentioned, just keep plugging away until success. A composite rod is more appropriate for most cases of large fish as well.

yeah bought a lushang and caught it first try, back to hustlin in talacca!