users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM end game gear guide
RDM end game gear guide
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-07 19:17:14  
Well OP WS gear is kinda weird, maybe they didn't realize the TP scaling on Emp Arrow past 2K. Plus shinryu is one of the worst HTBC for gear drops so lets not make any assumptions there.
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2022-12-07 19:24:06  
The accessories drop pretty regularly if you can do D/VD, it's the armor pieces that are awful, but yeah no moonshade earring seems weird too.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-07 19:33:32  
I'm actually putting some of this on and it's very unbalanced, heavy acc in shooting sets but drops a ton during WS. The result is that either they are over-acced during shots or they missing WS's. Tuning it right now.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2022-12-07 19:50:10  
Ya sadly can't use double TP bonus swords in Oddy G so you'll actually need other tp bonus gear... Of course we all have double TP bonus swords for our Ullr PLDs.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-07 20:09:04  
Doing some quick math, Fotia Belt/Gorget beat out Marked / Yemaya for Empyreal Arrow.

Worst case for Fotia is capped TP 5.0 fTP which makes it a 3.9% increase. Best case for 10 AGI (+7 DMG) is 1.2% and goes down as we get more AGI.
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-12-07 21:18:52  
Raetic arrows are 50+ r.acc over the fodder arrows for tping.
At second look, it makes sense why you questioned these sets. Mine are definitely different. I'd still have at least normal and acc sets for WS. It's easy enough to miss when evasion and stats go up and you can't land Distract. I read you can land Distract during his aura, but I've only done the fight on RNG so I can't confirm. You really aren't losing much acc with Fotia, but if it's dicey you'd want acc over damage. Eschan Stone for Acc set instead of Yemaya. Karieyh ring +1 makes an easy swap for Epa ring in an Acc set if you have one otherwise the replacement will be an obvious damage loss. I use Sroda Ring in my normal set

I didn't put ranged mode for mid shot, but if you're playing with Arebati it might do you some good. Crep accessories are definitely upgrades.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-07 21:24:12  
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Raetic arrows are 50+ r.acc over the fodder arrows for tping.
At second look, it makes sense why you questioned these sets. Mine are definitely different. I'd still have at least normal and acc sets for WS. It's easy enough to miss when evasion and stats go up and you can't land Distract. I read you can land Distract during his aura, but I've only done the fight on RNG so I can't confirm. You really aren't losing much acc with Fotia, but if it's dicey you'd want acc over damage. Eschan Stone for Acc set instead of Yemaya. Karieyh ring +1 makes an easy swap for Epa ring in an Acc set if you have one otherwise the replacement will be an obvious damage loss. I use Sroda Ring in my normal set

I didn't put ranged mode for mid shot, but if you're playing with Arebati it might do you some good. Crep accessories are definitely upgrades.

I just rearranged stuff and it's all fine now, assuming ranged WS"s get the same +100 acc on first hit that physical WS's do. Yes you can land Distract during his aura but before then is super hard. I normally start the fight with Sab Stymie Frazzle III, then Addle II and Dia III. Then get Poison II and when Aura happens Distract III. Silence / Slow don't really do much, same with Blind. Experiments so far with a PUP tank have been extremely promising.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2022-12-08 04:11:47  
Izanami said: »
The short-term plan is:
  • Add WHM/NIN (since I occasionally WHM/NIN in OdyC.)

• Include magical WS. Hybrid WS and spell damage already work, so I feel like magical weapon skills should be ready to include now.

• Make the ranged slot available for modification and include ranged weapon skills.

• Add COR melee+ranged WS

• Add the TP set finder to the GUI.

I'd like to add a drop-down menu for the user to select the rank of Odyssey gear to be tested. Most users may not have access to R30 Nyame later, so they'll want to see how their R15~R25 Nyame compares to other gear.

This is great news ! Definitely looking forward COR too :)
By Masaru 2022-12-08 05:36:23  
Asura.Shaedhen said: »
Edit:
Since this is a RDM discussion thread and not my Python thread, my contribution for this post is to consider Agony Jerkin+1 R15 over Empyrean +3 for the "best in slot" uncapped CDC set and Malignance Body for attack capped CDC. Although, I do not think that Agony Jerkin +1 R15 is worth the gil or inventory loss for a small damage improvement over the free Empyrean+3 body that you'll already have. Empyrean +3 body is great if you need a lot of both attack and accuracy, though.
I don't understand why is "Ayanmo Corazza +2" isn't in this set anymore. Can you explain plz.
By Nariont 2022-12-08 05:46:02  
84 atk is gonna trump the extra DA if you're atk starved which is typical RDM, and pdl+6% is gonna trump the DA if you're atk capped, ayanmo's a fine freebie body but as stated emp+3 or even 2 will be much better just for that glob of atk on a job that really needs it
[+]
By Masaru 2022-12-08 05:51:15  
Thank you.
By Zannakun 2022-12-08 13:50:56  
The short-term plan is:
  • Include magical WS. Hybrid WS and spell damage already work, so I feel like magical weapon skills should be ready to include now.

Nice work on the simulator. Would love to see Sanguine and Seraph Blade included for RDM in the very near future. :D

Also, is there a way to include add additional gear to be parsed for BIS? Ideally, I'd like to dump my items to file, "gs export all", and parse them for the BIS of available equipment. With available BIS gear as a base, I would like to be able to select other items that I may get in the future such as Nyame (R5, R15, R25, etc)
By Izanami 2022-12-08 21:30:17  
Zannakun said: »
The short-term plan is:

Nice work on the simulator. Would love to see Sanguine and Seraph Blade included for RDM in the very near future. :D

Also, is there a way to include add additional gear to be parsed for BIS? Ideally, I'd like to dump my items to file, "gs export all", and parse them for the BIS of available equipment. With available BIS gear as a base, I would like to be able to select other items that I may get in the future such as Nyame (R5, R15, R25, etc)

I have no plans to allow the user to input a .txt list of gear to be considered. I understand how useful this feature would be, but I don't consider this to be a high priority over adding new jobs, gear, and weapon skills.

On another note:
I've made a few updates to the code. The details will be posted sometime later in my NIN thread specifically meant to discuss the code and its Ninja results, but to keep this RDM thread on topic, I'll only mention the RDM-relevant updates:

I've added magical weapon skills. Below I show what my code is finding for a few of the RDM magic weapon skills. The sets mostly match what's presented in the OP of this thread, but that isn't surprising considering that my code is essentially just an automated spreadsheet. Let me know if you spot any potential issues in the sets below.

Each weapon skill was simulated between 1000-1300 TP. Those that vary FTP with varying TP will favor Thibron because of this. If you choose to hold til 2000 on those weapon skills, then Thibron will not be as effective and will likely be replaced by something else.

Red Lotus Blade and Aeolian Edge return the same "best" gear set, but obviously use different main-hand weapons.
ItemSet 388763
  • AmbuCape: INT+30, WSD+10

• Aeolian Edge uses Tauret+Thibron.

ItemSet 388762
ItemSet 388780
  • The AmbuCape uses INT+30, WSD+10

• Sanguine Blade uses 50% MND and 30% STR as WSC. So +30 MND on the AmbuCape results in 0.5 * 30 * 2.75 = 41.25 damage, where the 2.75 represents the FTP which scales WSC.

BG Wiki states that Sanguine Blade does not have a dINT cap, and that its dINT term scales as dINT*2. This means that +30 INT on the AmbuCape is worth 2 * 30 = 60 damage.

As far as I can tell, INT+30 > MND+30 on AmbuCape for Sanguine Blade for the above reasons. I don't play RDM, though, and I'm new to magic weapon skill calculations.

• Edit: See posts below. MND cape with Crocea, INT without

Seraph Blade and Strike return roughly the same "best" gear set.
ItemSet 388765
  • AmbuCape: MND+30, WSD+10

• Sibyl Scarf, Baetyl Pendant, and Fotia Gorget are all about equal. BG Wiki lists Seraph Blade as not having any dINT term, but I would probably use Sibyl Scarf assuming dINT provides Magic Accuracy to magical weapon skills the same way it does to spells (or even Duelist's Torque +2 for pure Magic Accuracy).

Sroda Tathlum is +25% magic damage 10% of the time, which is +2.5% average damage per weapon skill. If you're more interested in consistent damage that doesn't rely on 25% proc rate, then Oshasha's Treatise frequently shows up as second place.
[+]
By Lilllith 2022-12-08 22:13:36  
Zannakun said: »
The short-term plan is:

I have no plans to allow the user to input a .txt list of gear to be considered. I understand how useful this feature would be, but I don't consider this to be a high priority over adding new jobs, gear, and weapon skills.

On another note:
I've made a few updates to the code. The details will be posted sometime later in my NIN thread specifically meant to discuss the code and its Ninja results, but to keep this RDM thread on topic, I'll only mention the RDM-relevant updates:

I've added magical weapon skills. Below I show what my code is finding for a few of the RDM magic weapon skills. The sets mostly match what's presented in the OP of this thread, but that isn't surprising considering that my code is essentially just an automated spreadsheet. Let me know if you spot any potential issues in the sets below.

Each weapon skill was simulated between 1000-1300 TP. Those that vary FTP with varying TP will favor Thibron because of this. If you choose to hold til 2000 on those weapon skills, then Thibron will not be as effective and will likely be replaced by something else.

Red Lotus Blade and Aeolian Edge return the same "best" gear set, but obviously use different main-hand weapons.
ItemSet 388763
  • AmbuCape: INT+30, WSD+10

• Aeolian Edge uses Tauret+Thibron.

ItemSet 388762
  • The AmbuCape uses INT+30, WSD+10

• Sanguine Blade uses 50% MND and 30% STR as WSC. So +30 MND on the AmbuCape results in 0.5 * 30 * 2.75 = 41.25 damage, where the 2.75 represents the FTP which scales WSC.

BG Wiki states that Sanguine Blade does not have a dINT cap, and that its dINT term scales as dINT*2. This means that +30 INT on the AmbuCape is worth 2 * 30 = 60 damage.

As far as I can tell, INT+30 > MND+30 on AmbuCape for Sanguine Blade for the above reasons. I don't play RDM, though, and I'm new to magic weapon skill calculations.

Seraph Blade and Seraph Strike return the same "best" gear set, but obviously use different main-hand weapons
ItemSet 388765
  • AmbuCape: MND+30, WSD+10

• Seraph Strike uses Daybreak+Thibron.

• Sibyl Scarf is about a 1% loss vs Baetyl Pendant (28487 vs 28295). BG Wiki lists Seraph Blade as not having any dINT term, but I would probably use Sibyl Scarf assuming dINT provides Magic Accuracy to magical weapon skills the same way it does to spells (or even Duelist's Torque +2 for pure Magic Accuracy).

Sroda Tathlum is +25% magic damage 10% of the time, which is +2.5% average damage per weapon skill. If you're more interested in consistent damage that doesn't rely on 25% proc rate, then Oshasha's Treatise frequently shows up as second place.

You replaced nyame head legs and hands but not the body, why is that? If you're going off by MAB you should change out the body too. Seraph blade is 40%str 40%mnd, so even though empy has more mnd i don't think empy head body legs hands beats R25 nyame
By Torzak 2022-12-08 22:48:45  

Sanguine blade is best with INT if you're not using Croc, and best with MND if you're using Croc.
By Izanami 2022-12-08 23:49:31  
Torzak said: »

Sanguine blade is best with INT if you're not using Croc, and best with MND if you're using Croc.

If this is definitely true, then I may be applying Croc bonus incorrectly. I wasn't sure exactly where the +100% damage was applied in the equation, so I simply applied it at the end with the other multiplicative factors like WSD. What you're saying suggests that it should be applied to the base damage, before dSTAT and Magic Damage are added. This means WSC MND+30 results in 0.5*30*2.75*2 = +82.5 damage and dINT+30 results in 30*2 = +60 damage with Croc, since Croc's +100% applies to WSC but not dINT.

Could you confirm this is the case? This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for to improve the code for jobs I don't play, especially since it results in (minor) changes to the sets.

Lilllith said: »
You replaced nyame head legs and hands but not the body, why is that? If you're going off by MAB you should change out the body too. Seraph blade is 40%str 40%mnd, so even though empy has more mnd i don't think empy head body legs hands beats R25 nyame

I should've noticed and commented on it, but Seraph Strike favors Nyame Gauntlets R25B over Empy+3 hands (by only 0.2~0.3%, but still).

While I can't give a detailed mathematical answer to your question, Nyame and Empyrean+3 appear to be generally interchangeable for the scenario I'm using in my simulations (at least for the head/body/hands/legs). This is the caveat for all "best in slot" sets.

My code simply brute-force checks a few ten-thousand valid sets and reports the one with the highest damage. In this very specific case, it favored Nyame body+hands (likely for its high WSD) and Empy head+legs (likely for their WSC+Matk). As I mentioned above, swapping the Empy+3 gloves for NyameR25B gloves was only 0.2~0.3% better. This is likely less than the error introduced by me not truncating all my magic terms.

Edit: As an example:
It looks like my code checks ~51900 valid sets for Seraph Strike and the last "best" swap was Jhakri Cuffs +2 -> Nyame Gauntlets R25B (29762 -> 29820) with Empy+3 hands immediately before (29735-> 29762).
By SimonSes 2022-12-09 00:24:22  
If this is definitely true, then I may be applying Croc bonus incorrectly. I wasn't sure exactly where the +100% damage was applied in the equation, so I simply applied it at the end with the other multiplicative factors like WSD. What you're saying suggests that it should be applied to the base damage, before dSTAT and Magic Damage are added. This means WSC MND+30 results in 0.5*30*2.75*2 = +82.5 damage and dINT+30 results in 30*2 = +60 damage with Croc, since Croc's +100% applies to WSC but not dINT.

Could you confirm this is the case? This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for to improve the code for jobs I don't play, especially since it results in (minor) changes to the sets.

Yeah it was confirmed long time ago and it's standard info for this(RDM) forum.

This might also change few pieces in your set I think, since it basically changes Seraph to 80%STR/80%MND and Sanguine to 100%MND/60%STR
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-09 02:07:55  
with Empy+3 hands immediately before (29735-> 29762).
Empoy+3 hands, really?
Wow that's surprising :-o
By SimonSes 2022-12-09 04:09:47  
Asura.Sechs said: »
with Empy+3 hands immediately before (29735-> 29762).
Empoy+3 hands, really?
Wow that's surprising :-o

Why?
10MND, 5INT and 22MAB vs 10WSD looks very close at first sight. Empy+3 will most likely come ahead even more in that setup when he will fix Crocea calculation.
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2022-12-09 05:13:18  
Gotta say I didn't expect Daybreak to be beaten as an off-hand for Seraph Blade.
These simulations are definitely very interesting.
Thank you Izanami for your work !

Edit : Actually saw that Daybreak isn't in the sub slot options. Maybe it just wasn't tested as a possible swap at all ?
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-12-09 06:12:58  
Gotta say I didn't expect Daybreak to be beaten as an off-hand for Seraph Blade.
These simulations are definitely very interesting.
Thank you Izanami for your work !

I understand you wouldn't think about it maybe, but it's obvious at first sight that nothing that daybreak can offer can beat going from 1.5 fTP to 3.0 fTP (1250TP to 2250TP), which is doubling the damage or even +76% damage going from 1550tp to 2550tp. It's hard to evaluate Daybreak bonus to your damage without calculating it, but it's below 60% in that set, which means Thibron should be better until around 1700TP (before moonshade).
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-12-09 06:30:23  
It's his requirements of using ws at 1000-1200 that is skewing that. It's technically correct.

If you're doing RLB > Seraph Blade > RLB Thib is the way to go.

If you're shamelessly duoing with COR and do nothing but Leaden > Seraph > Leaden then Daybreak is going to close very hard at higher TP values and SC hard as well.

If you're zerging or not SCing these calculations are going to be very convincing once Crocea values are adjusted. Not everything can be SCed well so there is definite value to these sets.

Things these aren't going to do is care about SC damage or DT values.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-09 06:46:48  
Granted I'm far from BiS sets, I have quite a lot of hours of parse that I logged and when doing RLB > Seraph > RLB > etc Thibron was noticeably above in the overall DPS, but if I decided to spam just Seraph, then Daybreak would be noticeably above.
Overall DPS was higher in the first setup though, thanks to the SC damage I assume.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-09 07:26:47  

Base Magical WS Damage = floor(((152 + floor((WeaponLevel - 99) × 2.45) + WSC) × fTP) + dSTAT + MDMG Stat)

Bolded is what Crocia is applying it's effects to.

As for the whole Nyame vs Empy+3 Head / Legs, it depends if a GEO with Acumen or not.
[+]
By Izanami 2022-12-09 11:24:50  
SimonSes said: »

Yeah it was confirmed long time ago and it's standard info for this(RDM) forum.

This might also change few pieces in your set I think, since it basically changes Seraph to 80%STR/80%MND and Sanguine to 100%MND/60%STR

The effect of correcting where I applied Crocea is that Magic Damage and dSTAT are half as effective as before (when using Croc). I updated this in the code and checked for differences in the sets caused by correcting Crocea. Of course, the differences are so small that it really does not matter.

There are no changes for my observed Red Lotus Blade set after fixing Crocea.

Sanguine Blade (With Crocea):
  • Baetyl Pendant now beats Sibyl Scarf (by 3 damage: 30485 > 30482)

• Jhakri Cuffs +2 now beat Empy+3 hands (by 42 damage: 30485 > 30443)

Edit : Actually saw that Daybreak isn't in the sub slot options. Maybe it just wasn't tested as a possible swap at all ?
Thanks for letting me know. I had completely forgotten to add Daybreak to the off-hand options before testing those sets. I was personally expecting Thibron to win anyway at low TP, so I didn't question not seeing Daybreak at all in off-hand. I also noticed I had not included its MND+30 while I was re-adding it. This has been fixed too.

If I include Daybreak as an offhand option, then it appears to beat Thibron and prefers Fotia Gorget.

I understand you wouldn't think about it maybe, but it's obvious at first sight that nothing that daybreak can offer can beat going from 1.5 fTP to 3.0 fTP (1250TP to 2250TP), which is doubling the damage or even +76% damage going from 1550tp to 2550tp. It's hard to evaluate Daybreak bonus to your damage without calculating it, but it's below 60% in that set, which means Thibron should be better until around 1700TP (before moonshade).

This is what I thought too. But Daybreak has +50% damage from Light+50 alone, then it also provides +40 Magic Attack, +241 Magic Damage, and +30 MND, not to mention the Magic Accuracy advantages for high-level content. Quantifying the exact effect is difficult without exact numbers for stats used. It looks like Daybreak may generally be better when using Crocea for Seraph Blade. I'm seeing Daybreak off-hand win by roughly 4-18% between 1000-1750 TP.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Granted I'm far from BiS sets, I have quite a lot of hours of parse that I logged and when doing RLB > Seraph > RLB > etc Thibron was noticeably above in the overall DPS, but if I decided to spam just Seraph, then Daybreak would be noticeably above.
Overall DPS was higher in the first setup though, thanks to the SC damage I assume.

We saw above that Daybreak appears to win for Seraph Blade, but Daybreak doesn't provide Fire+50 to also boost Red Lotus Blade. In your case, Thibron wins since the small loss on Seraph Blade is likely dwarfed by the gain on Red Lotus Blade. As for actual numbers:

• For Seraph: Croc+Thibron loses 2012 damage vs Croc+Daybreak at 1150 TP.

• For RedLotus: Croc+Thibron gains 6278 damage over Croc+Daybreak (22478 vs 16470).

Edit: I think I've updated the itemsets now. Thanks for the help everyone. I think these sets are good to go. Of course, we saw that you can obtain nearly identical damage with a few changes (like Jhakri Cuffs+2, Fotia Gorget, and a few NyameR25B vs Empy+3). Things also change slightly with Malaise/Acumen/Wizards Roll/etc.
By SimonSes 2022-12-09 13:43:59  
This is what I thought too. But Daybreak has +50% damage from Light+50 alone, then it also provides +40 Magic Attack, +241 Magic Damage, and +30 MND, not to mention the Magic Accuracy advantages for high-level content. Quantifying the exact effect is difficult without exact numbers for stats used. It looks like Daybreak may generally be better when using Crocea for Seraph Blade. I'm seeing Daybreak off-hand win by roughly 4-18% between 1000-1750 TP.

Yeah sorry I completely forgot about Magic Damage stat. I'm too used to high fTP WSs like Leaden and Trueflight where MDMG being a stat, that is not multiplied by fTP is much much weaker, but in a WS with much lower fTP it's quite good.

That being said you have an error there. Orpheus's sash is in the same category as Light Affinity, it's 1-15 Affinity for all elements.
[+]
By Izanami 2022-12-09 14:10:22  
That being said you have an error there. Orpheus's sash is in the same category as Light Affinity, it's 1-15 Affinity for all elements.

I literally JUST changed Orpheus to be it's own term. I previously added it to other <elemental> magic attack bonus terms.

I guess I'll undo that when I get home...

Edit: Thinking back, I even remember explicitly testing this in South Gustaberg before adding Orpheus to the code ages ago. I should've remembered that testing before I changed the code.
By dontclickme 2022-12-09 14:12:25  
i might be missing something, but i thought rdm/nin (or /dnc) doesn't have access to seraph strike
By Izanami 2022-12-09 14:23:54  
dontclickme said: »
i might be missing something, but i thought rdm/nin (or /dnc) doesn't have access to seraph strike
I don't play RDM, but based on BG Wiki, it looks like you're correct: "Main or Sub must be WAR, WHM, PLD, DRK, SAM, BLU, or GEO".

I haven't gotten around to limiting certain weapon skills to specific jobs yet. The only real change is Thibron -> Ammurapi.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-09 15:10:56  
Yeah Shining Strike is what RDM has, and IDK why anyone would use it when Croc + Seraph Blade exists. Seraph Strike is something that GEO's and WHM's can use for their sets since they both have Daybreak as well.