users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drain & Aspir
Drain & Aspir
 Remora.Morphius
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2009-10-23 23:52:01  
That's actually dissapointing, I was fairly sure ifritkillers and the like were right on the magic acc, I have read through many posts with that message, not done yet though. I'm going to go through 60-100 aspir/drain cycles with each tomorrow, however with *equipped* magic acc~~. I will post after I am done, and yup, I'm going to be taking damage for 2.5-4 hours, /cheers.

Thanks for all your work Ent ^^b

Please anyone that has anymore data on this subject post, or submit a link. I still want a little more INT verification. I have a feeling some obscure forum, jap site, or 4 year old BG thread has the information I seek :3
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-24 00:08:45  
Even though that's a very small sample size, I think it rules out INT and MAB as having any factor in potency at all. It doesn't rule INT out as effecting accuracy though, as you're casting on such a low level mob, even 57 INT would be probably more than double that of the mobs.

I think everyone is getting confused with accuracy vs potency though.
Accuracy: decreases the chance of a resist
Potency: increases potential damage

On a scale of 1-10, having 10 accuracy theoretically means that you will go unresisted a lot more, and thus will raise your average damage. However if your potency is 1 giving you an aspir of 50 (for example) when completely unresisted, no amount of accuracy will allow you to aspir for greater than 50, but raising your potency to 10 WILL.

I was always of the impression that dark magic skill is the ONLY thing (skill/stat wise) that effects potency, ie. how much damage it will do completely unresisted. Which even Ent's limited testing confirms.

For these two spells, I think your best bet is skill > macc > haste/fast cast > INT (better safe than sorry eh?).
 Remora.Morphius
サーバ: Remora
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2009-10-24 00:14:59  
That's exactly what I'm at as far as importance, and I'm sure most people. Not going to retype everything in the many several last posts, but I want it nailed down for sure, I've read the interpretation I've submitted fairly frequently. Testing tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2009-10-24 05:03:44  
Just tried out the same beetles in East ronfaure [S] as Enternius.

DRK/SAM with 286 dark magic skill, 67 INT.
10 aspirs with results between 90 and 105, averaging at 96.

So thats more dark magic skill than his max skill results, but less INT. So higher results with more skill even though less INT seems to show INT not factoring into potency at least and skill increasing it, just to further confirm what enternius has been saying.
Again small sample but looking at the diff in aspirs between my DRK and BLM over the years, i think its more or less correct.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-24 05:54:33  
Garuda.Antipika said:
Off course raising the highest value would also increase the average. That's just stating the obvious. The thing is, with nukes, we are in most of situations at max accuracy. That's something you simply will never reach with Aspir or Drain. While nuke are consistent, Aspir isn't, so accuracy plays a major role in there,

You can't assume just cause numbers are wild that its cause of accuracy. Just cast on lvl 1 mobs see your numbers vary just as wildly. It's just the nature of the spells. As such a mere 5 cast each is hardly conclusive.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-10-24 06:55:08  
Spamming these spells on Steelshells (without bubble curtain) I will usually get aroundabout 250drain 350drainII and 100aspir, on crabs it is consistently around these numbers. Then I cast on lesser colibris for instance and it can be anything from 20hp then 300hp a minute later or vice versa, from the same one mob. I can't find any factors that affect the potency of the spell except for maybe magic accuracy? At least thats all I can think of.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-24 07:04:29  
I think I'll practice on rdm tomorrow... since I can vary all the possibly affecting stats decently on that I think... maybe worms since I can fight decent lvl ones that wont fight back