BGWiki - Issue Reporting Thread & FAQ
First Page 2
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-07-27 12:43:38  
The main purpose of this thread is to allow for a quick and easy way for players to report errors, inaccuracies, and other problems that need attention on BG Wiki. I will continue to post new version update threads. That way, we have organized topics and discussion does not get lost in a massive thread.

Post a reply if you wish to report a problem or if you have any general wiki questions! - We want to know about everything, large and small.

Disclaimer: If discussions becomes off-topic, those replies will be deleted. Serious replies only, please.

Frequently Asked Questions
The second purpose of this thread is to assist new and old players alike in finding resources and asking frequently asked questions pertaining specifically to using BGWiki.

Q: I don't care about this, all I want to know is if Spicy is unbanned.
A: Spicy is indeed unbanned. He has been contributing again since the end of June 2020.

Q: Why was this thread needed?
This thread was created because we realize that not everybody wants to register on our website or join discord just to edit something small or report an issue that they might find inaccurate. Because most of the FFXI English population visits FFXIAH, a BG Wiki thread is a great way to reach out and engage with players.

A thread here is also a great way to reach new players to inform them of a few tricks when using our wiki.

Q: Who all edits BG nowadays?
A: The names listed here are our "major" editors who contribute a great deal of their time, pretty much every day, to ensure things run smoothly. Clicking a name below takes you to their FFXIAH profile. Feel free to message any of us on here, regardless of the situation you are having or wish to report. We will reach out to each other and address it accordingly. You can also contact us by joining the BlueGartr Discord, linked below.

This is by no means a complete list of editors. We have a large amount of contributors, and we cannot thank them enough for the time they take to improve the website as well as discussions on discord to figure out game mechanics. Contact me if you are an editor and wish to be placed on this list.

Q: Discord, you say?
A: Yes! BlueGartr Discord
We have many channels on our discord, but in particular we have a General FFXI Chat as well as a BG Wiki specific chat. Discussion about the game is welcome in both, but we do not assist in any way with private servers. Our discord welcomes all Final Fantasy XI players, but we tend to lean towards advanced discussion pertaining to FFXI such as mechanics. New players and discussion is welcome regardless.

Q: How do I know when a page was last edited, and who even made it?
A: There are two general ways on the wiki to see the history of a page.
#1: Click the "History" tab on the top right of any page. It will show all revisions of that page, along with dates and the name, from whoever has edited it. Many of our "main" pages are locked to edits from normal users. On the very bottom of any page is a line that shows when the last edit was done on that page.
#2: You can look at the Recent Changes page. This page shows the latest updates on the entire website, who made them, and what page they edited. Not particularly useful to the public or general website visitors, but it does help show contributions. We watch this page religiously to ensure the quality of edits by reviewing all changes.

Q: Why should I use BG for old content? It has no old information filled out.
A: We have made great strides in updating old information in the last two/three years. A lot of the time when you hear this, it is because players usually do not check a page before recommending other places to look, and just assume it is outdated. It is true that was the case for quite some time, and still may be true today for some low visibility pages.

We are always reviewing old items and updating information. Our main editing focus is to ensure new content is as complete and up to date as possible. Players have relied on BG from post-Abyssea onwards and that content is what many players are doing these days. When we have extra time, this is when we work on old content. We have a Projects page that we use as our "To-Do" list. Something that cannot be done in the course of a few edits is placed on the Projects page and tackled from there. If you are interested in helping or becoming an editor, that is a great place to see where we need the most assistance.

Q: OK that is fine, but I still found pages that have no information on them.
A: This will happen. We have a couple things you can try to help you find information.
#1: You are looking at a quest, and it tells you to look for a particular item. 99.9% of the time you can click the name of the item in order to visit the item's page itself. As an example, Yagudo Glue is used in the quest The Road to Divadom. The quest lists the monsters that drop this item, but it does not list where these monsters are. Click on the Yagudo Glue link and you will find the monsters that drop this item and the zones on the page itself.
#2: If the item page itself is blank, which sometimes it is, we have three resources that players don't know about or forget are there. We will use the Drachenfall Water page as an example, as upon creating this post it is blank (but has been filled out)! On every item, armor, weapon and key item page is a button in in the upper right that says "REFERENCES" on top of the BG dragon logo.

By clicking this link you will navigate to a list that shows every other page on the wiki that links to the page where you clicked "RESOURCES". In this example, there is a page called "Drachenfall" that links to "Drachenfall Water".

Clicking on "Drachenfall", we see that this is actually a quest where the item is used.

While this whole process is - we agree - unnecessary, it is a good thing to remember to check when browsing.

Q: Do you have a master list of gear and weapons?
A: As a matter of fact, yes we do. Not many visitors realize that these exist:

Like FFXIAH, though, augments are not listed. The master lists are useful as they can be sorted by a number of statistics. Also, the "Ctrl+F" feature works well to find a particular stat you may be looking for.

Q: Can I tell if a piece of equipment looks similar to another piece, and shares the same model for lockstyle purposes?
A: While this is not completely foolproof, we have a solution that usually works. Visit any armor page you wish to check. Lets use Dagon Breastplate as an example.

Click on the item icon on top in blue.

On the next page, look near the middle. There will be a section called "File Usage", with the first line showing that this icon is a duplicate of the following icons.

The icons are always named after their in-game item on the wiki. With the Dagon Breastplate, we can see that it shares an icon with the Iron Ram Hauberk. Because of the way the developers have been making armor, they have simply been reusing icons in-game. This tells us that it is a good chance that they most likely share the same in-game model.

Q: What is this Character User Page I have been hearing about?
Our Userpage is essentially two templates that Spicyryan designed. Adding these to your userpage lets you track your character's progress on the wiki based on your in-game accomplishments. Of particular use is tracking progress on REMA weapons, as well as other "Checklist" templates such as a Trust checklist, Abyssea checklist, and more! Throw away that notebook or delete that spreadsheet and use our templates instead!

Interested? You will need to register an account first. After that, get started here: Userpage Template! Wiki contibution is not required in order to make your own userpage.

Have a suggestion for a new checklist? Let us know!

The information added to userpages is in no way verified, so it is based on the honor system.

Q: Do you have job guides?
A: YES! Visit this page to see our job guides: Job Guides Page.

If you are a guide creator, and wish to make your own guide, feel free to make it and add it to this page. If you also know about a guide somewhere online, feel free to link it there.

Q: I am sold, I want to contribute! Where do I start?
A: Start by registering an account. Do not use spaces or special characters, as you might run into issues. There is a couple hour timeout to help prevent bots from spam editing the wiki, so wait before attempting to login.

We recommend new editors use the Getting Started wiki page to find out where to start. Also be sure to contact us on Discord if you have any questions on getting started!
[+]
By Draylo 2020-07-27 21:04:29  
Thanks for all your effort, really appreciated! I try to edit some things here and there when I see them.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-08-03 20:49:14  
Hello. I was looking into trusts and currently, the Trust Magic link from the home page is disabled.

Also, thanks to all for the work being done here and on BG. This is an enormous part of the luxury that we live with FFXI. I'd argue that we would be discussing FFIV if it weren't for the work that was put into these websites and I don't think that I'd be arguing against anyone at all really.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-08-03 21:06:24  
Asura.Tawhoya said: »
Hello. I was looking into trusts and currently, the Trust Magic link from the home page is disabled.

So all links in the header area are cached. When someone goes to edit and doesnt close the page, it eventually does that. It will correct itself.

Draylo said: »
Thanks for all your effort, really appreciated! I try to edit some things here and there when I see them.

Asura.Tawhoya said: »
Also, thanks to all for the work being done here and on BG. This is an enormous part of the luxury that we live with FFXI. I'd argue that we would be discussing FFIV if it weren't for the work that was put into these websites and I don't think that I'd be arguing against anyone at all really.

From everyone on the team, thank you both. We appreciate hearing people are grateful for our work and time sunk into improving the site.
[+]
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
サーバ: Bahamut
user: ForteGSX
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2020-08-03 21:36:28  
There is little I'm grateful for in life, but BGWiki is one of them.

Thanks for cataloguing all of the knowledge about this and keeping up with everything that comes out <3
[+]
By Roudidou 2020-08-05 03:55:32  
Very minor thing, but the Notes on the Fili set bonus reads
"Causes your songs to grant recipients a status boost while sung in in any combination of Aoidos +2, Fili, and Fili +2 equipment."
VIP
By Lili 2020-08-05 05:14:03  
Roudidou said: »
Fili +2 equipment."

We live in the future!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-08-05 05:27:14  
On the emp upgrade page it shows all the magian trials to upgrade them, then it shows an out of date option.

On the Almace page for instance it shows, 1.5k heavy metal, then 60 riftcinder and then 3k riftcinder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most never do the 3k riftcinder trial and just upgrade using an alternate method at oboro now right?

I don't even know if this 3k riftcinder trial is still in the game but if most skip this very expensive method should the pages not be changed so people know not to do it? Unless you know about Oboro, most will just work on the 3k trial as the next step from these pages.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Trial_of_the_Magians_Swords
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2020-08-05 08:15:05  
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Trial_3563
Shows two different trials. Unless the person is special I’d assume they would look at both trials and easily pick the Oboro one.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-05 08:24:36  
That's assuming they actually click on the specific trial pages on BG Wiki (not guaranteed, since they generally don't have any useful information the Moogle doesn't give you anyway) instead of going by the general Sword Trials page and the in-game Moogle, both of which only list the single, non-Oboro trial.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2020-08-05 08:33:39  
Asura.Geriond said: »
That's assuming they actually click on the specific trial pages on BG Wiki (not guaranteed, since they generally don't have any useful information the Moogle doesn't give you anyway) instead of going by the general Sword Trials page and the in-game Moogle, both of which only list the single, non-Oboro trial.
So in reality this concern could be posted in Square Enix official forums since we can’t control the Moogle? I don’t deny I am surprised SE has not done this already. Maybe a post can also start there with a bunch of people replying. Then again some people enjoy torture like afterglow aegis or Ochain aka me.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-08-05 08:48:40  
On all of the REMA pages, we have had details about two paths from 99 to 119, not not necessarily 95 to 99 or 99 II. I suppose we could put a big fat "OR" on the weapon category trial pages.

An example: Excalibur 99
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2020-08-05 08:52:38  
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
On all of the REMA pages, we have had details about two paths from 99 to 119, not not necessarily 95 to 99 or 99 II. I suppose we could put a big fat "OR" on the trial pages.

An example: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Excalibur_(Level_99)
The thickest
The boldest
The widest
The fattest

[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-08-05 09:00:24  
Very minor thing, but the Notes on the Fili set bonus reads
"Causes your songs to grant recipients a status boost while sung in in any combination of Aoidos +2, Fili, and Fili +2 equipment."

Looks like this was fixed already by a user named "Ssjjfar" on 7-1-20, unless its somewhere else im missing? If you see it somewhere else, be sure to link and Ill fix it.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-08-05 09:17:53  
Lili said: »
Fili +2 equipment."

We live in the future!
[+]
By Roudidou 2020-08-06 02:03:28  
Under notes, all the fili +1 equipment makes reference to +2
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fili_Calot_%2B1
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [87 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-10-31 19:11:38  
I joined Spicy and Foxdanger's new podcast called "WTF in Vanadiel" and we discussed BG Wiki on their 4th episode. If you are interested in listening, you can tune in on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8DM17NJLI

Since this is the first decent audio episode, 1 through 3 will remain off YouTube. Find them at your local repository, as they are on Spotify and working on joining other platforms. If all that fails, the podcast website is currently at https://wtfinvanadiel.podbean.com/. Episode 5 will feature Ruaumoko, and should be out in the next couple days. I plan on rejoining them to recording Bard tomorrow.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-11-01 05:05:24  
Looks like Episode 5 is already out now on the podbean link.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-11-01 07:54:22  
I dunno why you don't put these on the front page of bgwiki, it's the staff from there doing it and it's related to the site.

Gotta stick it under peoples noses.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [83 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2021-01-23 10:46:13  
Ragns/Ragu BG Server Oowner said:
The long overdue BG Wiki update is on its way.

Until the update is fully completed the site will show as "Forbidden" (I didn't expect so many people to rush in the early morning so I had to ban everyone). Meanwhile you can still access the old wiki at this address: https://old.bg-wiki.com/

Expect a few hiccups once it'll be back online (slow performance, weird page renderings).

If you get weird page renderings I suggest you refresh your browser like this:
- Firefox / Safari: Hold Shift while clicking Reload, or press either Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R (⌘-R on a Mac)
- Google Chrome: Press Ctrl-Shift-R (⌘-Shift-R on a Mac)
- Internet Explorer / Edge: Hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh, or press Ctrl-F5
- Opera: Go to Menu → Settings (Opera → Preferences on a Mac) and then to Privacy & security → Clear browsing data → Cached images and files.

You can use this thread to report any problems / complaints you have.
Also I can tell you right now there will be a lot of formatting errors for a few days. Quite a lot of the custom stuff I did to add new display stuff to the old version will need tweaks and no amount of Shift Refreshing is going to fix it right away.
[+]
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2021-01-23 12:00:38  
imma shift refresh until you fix that negativity mister
[+]
 Bismarck.Nekhekh
サーバ: Bismarck
user: nekhekh
By Bismarck.Nekhekh 2021-01-23 12:36:30  
can we get a Pursuer's attire set??
 Cerberus.Dierdren
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Dierdren
By Cerberus.Dierdren 2021-01-23 13:00:45  
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource

Is what I get when I try to access the page
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2021-01-23 13:24:44  
Asura.Chiaia said: »
Ragns/Ragu BG Server Oowner said:
The long overdue BG Wiki update is on its way.

Until the update is fully completed the site will show as "Forbidden" (I didn't expect so many people to rush in the early morning so I had to ban everyone). Meanwhile you can still access the old wiki at this address: https://old.bg-wiki.com/

Expect a few hiccups once it'll be back online (slow performance, weird page renderings).

If you get weird page renderings I suggest you refresh your browser like this:
- Firefox / Safari: Hold Shift while clicking Reload, or press either Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R (⌘-R on a Mac)
- Google Chrome: Press Ctrl-Shift-R (⌘-Shift-R on a Mac)
- Internet Explorer / Edge: Hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh, or press Ctrl-F5
- Opera: Go to Menu → Settings (Opera → Preferences on a Mac) and then to Privacy & security → Clear browsing data → Cached images and files.

You can use this thread to report any problems / complaints you have.
Also I can tell you right now there will be a lot of formatting errors for a few days. Quite a lot of the custom stuff I did to add new display stuff to the old version will need tweaks and no amount of Shift Refreshing is going to fix it right away.
By Axciom 2021-01-23 13:25:58  
Cerberus.Dierdren said: »
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource

Is what I get when I try to access the page

You heard the page, you're forbidden, now get outta here.

Go on, git.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-23 14:15:49  
Ya know, all day long everyone asks questions instead of simply going to bg.

But, no, not today, today. EVERYONE wants to use bg.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-23 14:18:19  
90% of people go to BG anyway, with the questions here being the remaining 10%. Now we're getting the other 90% too.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-23 14:37:19  
It wasn't a "here" it was just a comment on every single time I've zoned back into town today, the shout was omg the world is on fire no bg and 40 replies of use oldbg

And ffxiclopedia still works too.

Also, also, with the most popular info source down, no questions come across in the assist channel. Just pointing that out.
[+]
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2021-01-23 19:24:12  
Any idea why the BG page is broken, the cached home page I have loads, but searching for cooking in search times out. As does other things that I have not looked at. IE https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Templates fails to load since I have not cached that page. Whereas https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Rhapsodies_of_Vanadiel_Missions is cached and loads fine.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2021-01-23 19:26:25  
Asura.Verbannt said: »
Any idea why the BG page is broken, the cached home page I have loads, but searching for cooking in search times out. As does other things that I have not looked at. IE https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Templates fails to load since I have not cached that page. Whereas https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Rhapsodies_of_Vanadiel_Missions is cached and loads fine.

Ragns said a cache server went down and it's taking some time to catch up. We are hoping it improves in a few hours.
[+]
First Page 2