Let's Start A Riot?!?!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Let's start a riot?!?!
Let's start a riot?!?!
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 117 118 119
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 01:49:34  
At the end of the day all I care about is that you don't look at these outliers to judge the legitimacy of the overall anti-cop movement. Hurting innocent people is terrible and hard to forgive, but you shouldn't let those cases affect how you view the scourge of police brutality.

(This is a thing I've been seeing a lot lately, which is why I'm drilling this part home)
By Draylo 2020-06-02 01:50:38  
That is directx trolling, don't pay him any mind.

Dabackpack is a priveledged white guy, living in the saftey of his home and bored. He has no leg in the fight yet hes encouraging people to loot and riot because that means they are on the side of righteousness, anyone that has a problem with looting is on the side of the oppressors. Here let me quote him again.

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me why I don't check this site anymore. FFXIAH has the political sense of a dead ferret. But what else should I have expected from the forums of a 20 year-old game besides boomers.

Let me spell it out for you.

If you reject the riots and looting, you are on the side of the oppressor.

If you spend your mental energy arguing that "hurr durr looting is bad" instead of the underlying issue of police brutality and systemic racism, congratulations, you care more about property damage than human life.

Because here's the thing. Black people have been "peacefully protesting" for *** DECADES NOW. Colin *** Kaepernick protested on national television and racist chuds like you would say, "me no likely when black sports man speak out!"

Peaceful protest has done NOTHING. And when black citizens are dying on a weekly basis from the *** POLICE, what else is gonna happen? The civil rights movement in the 60's only picked up because of riots and violence. If you haven't studied the history of civil rights your opinion is unwanted. If you want a start, go ahead and read MLK's "Letter from Birmingham Jail."

Target is going to be fine. They will file an insurance claim and get fully reimbursed. George Floyd's life is gone forever. The fact that some of you give more of a ***about Target than you do about the lives of the rioters speaks volumes about your character.

Vandalism and looting gets ***done. If that triggers you, then maybe you should help create a situation where maybe thousands of citizens don't feel like they HAVE to vandalize and loot to get people to notice them.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 01:50:58  
Prong said: »
Asura.Toeknee said: »
could also be a bit numb from the videos of.. cops killing black folk

just a guess

That's a terrible viewpoint but I think you knew that before posting. The people these men were bearing had zero to do with any cops killing anyone. Perhaps you would have remotely a point if the video I posted was of blacks beating ex-Officer Chauvin but as it is, you are just trolling.

I didn't watch the video, that's all
By boleslaus21 2020-06-02 01:52:53  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

just a guess

That's a terrible viewpoint but I think you knew that before posting. The people these men were bearing had zero to do with any cops killing anyone. Perhaps you would have remotely a point if the video I posted was of blacks beating ex-Officer Chauvin but as it is, you are just trolling.

do you know what "organization" means?
 Asura.Toeknee
サーバ: Asura
user: Darksyn
By Asura.Toeknee 2020-06-02 01:55:00  

just a guess

i'm not trolling - you were surprised he wasn't more shocked about the brutality, i was just offering a suggestion as to why. the george floyd video as brutal as it was, wasn't SHOCKING to me or a lot of others i know. it honestly felt more like 'damn.. not again'
 Asura.Toeknee
By Asura.Toeknee 2020-06-02 01:56:40  
Draylo said: »

i'm honestly still confused why you think i'm directx, idk who the dude is. feel free to message me in game or something lol
By Prong 2020-06-02 01:58:20  
These are the things that are not helping their cause. Warning, this video is a tad violent.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1267218468279136256

Sure, but why do you care?

Usually when people make this point, they'll say, "it distracts people from their real message!!"

and then I'd say... "you mean how it's distracting YOU from their real message?"

does this delegitimize the cause for you personally? If so, why? Why are the actions of a handful of "bad actors" letting you change your mind about police brutality?

Wow, ok. lol. Let me rephrase.

Those who are searching for any reason to delegitimize the message of the marches, things like this just give them more ammunition. So, when someone says things like, "black thugs are yada, yada..." this actually gives them a link to kind of prove their point.

I'm actually shocked you had absolutely nothing to say about the sheer brutality of the actions of these particular protesters and just went straight for my throat about how I shouldn't let these kinds of videos dissuade me. I think you are way too much into, "internet argument mode" and need to go get some herbal tea or something, cool down a bit.

I clarified in the following post, yeah. I'm asking about you personally: do you think this is a link to prove that point?

(I turned the video off after a few seconds because I didn't want to see someone get hurt)

Here is my viewpoint:

Some cops are bad people as there are bad people in every line of work, but these bad people have guns and are allowed to use them, so it makes them more dangerous.

People in America have every right to be fed up with this happening, even though statistically based on the yearly number of actual cop/non-cop interactions, it is an infinitesimal number of occurrences, but one is still too many. Every life matters, unless you are a murderer, rapist, molest kids, abuse animals or the elderly. Those people should get two taps to the back of the head, as should Chauvin.

If protesters want people who may be on the fence or not quite on their side to really stop and feel their pain and commit to joining with them, they need to not burn small businesses, loot Target or beat people to death. Once even a few do this, it will make people angry and basically say, "F you, F whatever you are mad about." And, I don't blame them.

That being said, I hope Chauvin gets convicted on whatever they can get him on, I hope the other 3 at bare minimum are convicted on gross negligence with indifference to life, resulting in death (because they won't be able to prove any form of homicide on the other 3 unless they ignore the laws to make examples, unfortunately).

Last but not least, I wish they'd make a Season 2 of The Ancient Magus' Bride. I *think* that about covers it.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:00:07  

Dabackpack is a priveledged white guy, living in the saftey of his home and bored. He has no leg in the fight yet hes encouraging people to loot and riot because that means they are on the side of righteousness, anyone that has a problem with looting is on the side of the oppressors. Here let me quote him again.

You're really trying my patience and if I didn't know better I'd say you're intentionally being confrontational because of a gut reaction. All this time you kept saying "LOOK AT HIS FIRST POST!!" as if you deliberately are ignoring every clarification I've made since that time.

Nothing in that *** post advocates for violence. I don't WANT people to hurt each other, I don't even like looking at videos of violence.

If I'm being real, I entered the thread super pissed off at people in general sitting on their ivory towers spewing pleasantries like "violence is never the answer!!" and "violence only begets violence!!" and quoting *** MLK to make shallow points.

YOU are privileged if you have never been in a situation where you felt your only recourse was violence.

I'm going to be hypocritical and post THIS MLK quote:

Quote:
First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. Who the *** are you to dictate how oppressed black people should act when a cop murders a black man? Who gave you the RIGHT to be some moral *** arbiter here? Don't be a snooty *** and look down on these people that are hurting. Don't criticize the cornered mouse for lashing out against the predatory snake.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:00:38  
boleslaus21 said: »

just a guess

do you know what "organization" means?

Do you know what "organization" means?
 Asura.Toeknee
By Asura.Toeknee 2020-06-02 02:01:53  

i've got a feeling you're a white dude yourself, on a coastal city, possibly has your own small business, and are lucky enough to not be bothered by literally anything that's been said outside of protecting your potential business interest - or being able to sympathize strictly with those in your position. every movement needs allies to help, how are you condemning someone who isn't black for fighting along side those that are - that's asinine lol
By Prong 2020-06-02 02:02:33  

just a guess

i'm not trolling - you were surprised he wasn't more shocked about the brutality, i was just offering a suggestion as to why. the george floyd video as brutal as it was, wasn't SHOCKING to me or a lot of others i know. it honestly felt more like 'damn.. not again'

I wasn't really surprised he wasn't "shocked" at the brutality, I was surprised he had nothing to say about it instead choosing to be more concerned if those kinds of videos influenced my thoughts on the protester's in general.

And yeah you're not DirectX, he normally capitalizes the first word in each sentence and is much more of an a~hole normally, right off the bat.
By Draylo 2020-06-02 02:04:54  

i've got a feeling you're a white dude yourself, on a coastal city, possibly has your own small business, and are lucky enough to not be bothered by literally anything that's been said outside of protecting your potential business interest - or being able to sympathize strictly with those in your position. every movement needs allies to help, how are you condemning someone who isn't black for fighting along side those that are - that's asinine lol

He is advocating for violence and not even partaking in said violence. I am not doing that. He is putting peoples lives at further risk by telling people NOT to condemn the violence via looting/rioting. He has no loss yet is encouraging others to lose. What he said when he came in here was so insane, I want to keep posting it.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:06:33  

He is advocating for violence and not even partaking in said violence. I am not doing that. He is putting peoples lives at further risk by telling people NOT to condemn the violence via looting/rioting. He has no loss yet is encouraging others to lose. What he said when he came in here was so insane, I want to keep posting it.

Take a break from posting--- get some sleep, clear your head, then come back with a clear mind
 Asura.Toeknee
By Asura.Toeknee 2020-06-02 02:07:43  
Here is my viewpoint:

Some cops are bad people as there are bad people in every line of work, but these bad people have guns and are allowed to use them, so it makes them more dangerous.

People in America have every right to be fed up with this happening, even though statistically based on the yearly number of actual cop/non-cop interactions, it is an infinitesimal number of occurrences, but one is still too many. Every life matters, unless you are a murderer, rapist, molest kids, abuse animals or the elderly. Those people should get two taps to the back of the head, as should Chauvin.

If protesters want people who may be on the fence or not quite on their side to really stop and feel their pain and commit to joining with them, they need to not burn small businesses, loot Target or beat people to death. Once even a few do this, it will make people angry and basically say, "F you, F whatever you are mad about." And, I don't blame them.

That being said, I hope Chauvin gets convicted on whatever they can get him on, I hope the other 3 at bare minimum are convicted on gross negligence with indifference to life, resulting in death (because they won't be able to prove any form of homicide on the other 3 unless they ignore the laws to make examples, unfortunately).

Last but not least, I wish they'd make a Season 2 of The Ancient Magus' Bride. I *think* that about covers it.

i agree with everything you've said (even s2 and ancient magus' bride - <3 the art in that show), my only question is - when being peaceful for decades doesn't work, at what point is it ok (if ever) to no longer be peaceful? if Chauvin isn't convicted, and the other 3 don't face repercussions, i don't see things being any kinder than what's going on right now. i in no way want that to happen, but there's got to be some give somewhere - people are fed up
By Draylo 2020-06-02 02:07:54  
Sure, you do the same maybe? Stop suggesting people riot and loot or applaud those actions. Maybe you should retract what you said if you really didn't mean that because even if you came in the thread with anger, you've been defensive against literally everyone.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:11:50  
Sure, you do the same maybe? Stop suggesting people riot and loot or applaud those actions. Maybe you should retract what you said if you really didn't mean that because even if you came in the thread with anger, you've been defensive against literally everyone.

I mean what I said, I think we're just talking past each other at this point.

I don't know how to tell you that the support of human life and civil rights outweighs my sympathy towards property damage. If civil rights can be "solved" by property damage I wouldn't even think twice. If "world hunger" could be solved by property damage I'm damn sure you'd think the same.
By Draylo 2020-06-02 02:13:25  
I already told you it isn't simply property damage, there is so much more involved but you keep ignoring all of it. Let's not forget the fact that the majority of these looter/rioters are not about the cause, they are out for themselves or an agenda.
By Prong 2020-06-02 02:16:06  
Here is my viewpoint:

i agree with everything you've said (even s2 and ancient magus' bride - <3 the art in that show), my only question is - when being peaceful for decades doesn't work, at what point is it ok (if ever) to no longer be peaceful? if Chauvin isn't convicted, and the other 3 don't face repercussions, i don't see things being any kinder than what's going on right now. i in no way want that to happen, but there's got to be some give somewhere - people are fed up

Chauvin will get convicted for something. I have zero doubts. The others will IF IF IF, they don't go for murder charges. They'd have to prove that they somehow conspired with Chauvin prior to or during the event to allow him to kill Mr. Floyd. Which, any mid level attorney could argue away easily.

The other bad thing is, Minnesota just decided to put their DA Keith Ellison as the prosecuting attorney for the state. Yeah, the guy who at the start of the #metoo movement was called out for audio/text messages, apologizing to his white ex-girlfriend for beating her up, more than once. The lady's son made these available. BUT! He has a D next to his name and it's Minnesota so....he didn't even loose his job. They need to get a clean prosecutor in there, the Floyd family deserves at least that.

As far as violence to answer injustices, never works out in the end. Think, Hatfield and McCoys. Now that by no means says if you are being brutalized by a cop you should not fight back, but the current version of "fed up" by the protesters unfortunately is destroying property and businesses and killing people who had NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. It's like Muslim extremists blowing up cafes. If they only attacked US military targets, being the US military is what they are supposedly mad at, I think a TON more people would empathize with them. Not when you are indiscriminately causing death and chaos...worst way to get support from the masses, all time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:16:20  
I already told you it isn't simply property damage, there is so much more involved but you keep ignoring all of it.

The video of the woman getting assaulted is not acceptable and I don't condone that part. Same for other innocent people that were attacked directly. I do, however, have issue with the fact that you are assuming that this is a normal part of the movement.

If I showed you a video of a cop killing a black man, you would say, "not all cops are like that!!" --- this is the same thing on my end. Those people beating up strangers are outliers.

Let's not forget the fact that the majority of these looter/rioters are not about the cause, they are out for themselves or an agenda.

This is a really bold statement that I'm almost certain is false. Where is your proof?
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-06-02 02:16:56  

I don't know how to tell you that the support of human life and civil rights outweighs my sympathy towards property damage. If civil rights can be "solved" by property damage I wouldn't even think twice. If "world hunger" could be solved by property damage I'm damn sure you'd think the same.

It doesn't have to be so freaking binary. You can fully support civil rights and be absolutely disgusted by the actions of looters/rioters at the same time. Civil rights are not being "solved" by property damage (in fact they may even be set back by it), but the rights of the victims of looters/rioters are absolutely being infringed.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:21:43  

As far as violence to answer injustices, never works out in the end. Think, Hatfield and McCoys. Now that by no means says if you are being brutalized by a cop you should not fight back, but the current version of "fed up" by the protesters unfortunately is destroying property and businesses and killing people who had NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. It's like Muslim extremists blowing up cafes. If they only attacked US military targets, being the US military is what they are supposedly mad at, I think a TON more people would empathize with them. Not when you are indiscriminately causing death and chaos...worst way to get support from the masses, all time.

I mentioned this earlier, but this is also historically false.

Civil Rights movement. Look at all the riots that took place during this time, and see what results each of those riots achieved.
Stonewall riots. Gays had been fighting peacefully for YEARS for certain legal rights. The Stonewall riots are THE FIRST TIME the government paid attention to them. These riots are actually what kicked off the modern LGBT movement.

It's naive to make assumptions with blanket statements like "violence never works out in the end."

Like I said, most people don't LIKE using violence to get what they need... it's always a last resort.

But instead of condemning the rioters, ask yourself "why do these people feel the need to riot?" The answer is because nobody listens to them when they protest peacefully.

If we want to stop violent protests, we need to actually LISTEN to what they say when they're not violent.
 Valefor.Commodus
サーバ: Valefor
user: abknight
By Valefor.Commodus 2020-06-02 02:22:38  
He IMPLIED that if you loot, you will be shot, which EXPRESSES SOME INTENT or DESIRE for looters to get shot. Arguing otherwise is arguing semantics.

No, it expresses neither desire nor intent. You don't understand the definition of either word.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:24:07  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

It doesn't have to be so freaking binary. You can fully support civil rights and be absolutely disgusted by the actions of looters/rioters at the same time. Civil rights are not being "solved" by property damage (in fact they may even be set back by it), but the rights of the victims of looters/rioters are absolutely being infringed.

It's a vast oversimplification sure. But right now, the only path forward for the oppressed blacks is rioting. They have tried every other peaceful route, they were all dead ends.

This isn't binary. I'm not treating this like a binary choice. It's just that I happen to side with the protesters on both counts in this case.
By Draylo 2020-06-02 02:24:25  
Who is WE? Why are you implying that the posters here have not listened? WE do not have any power to change anything unless we have some Mayors, Govs, Police chiefs, DAs, etc that are FFXI players. That is one of the issues, they are targeting people who have no power or way to change this (small business owners especially) and its wrong. Why don't they loot and riot at their elected officials homes? Wouldn't that push for a change faster than stealing from stores? All the looters/rioters are doing is causing chaos, and they aren't even for the cause.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:26:15  
Valefor.Commodus said: »
He IMPLIED that if you loot, you will be shot, which EXPRESSES SOME INTENT or DESIRE for looters to get shot. Arguing otherwise is arguing semantics.

No, it expresses neither desire nor intent. You don't understand the definition of either word.

How long are you gonna keep licking Trump's boots by giving him the benefit of the doubt every *** time he says something patently stupid or undemocratic?

You have to do a bunch of mental gymnastics to arrive at a world where you don't interpret that tweet as a direct threat.

Do you not read that tweet as a direct threat?
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-06-02 02:28:56  

It's a vast oversimplification sure. But right now, the only path forward for the oppressed blacks is rioting. They have tried every other peaceful route, they were all dead ends.

This isn't binary. I'm not treating this like a binary choice. It's just that I happen to side with the protesters on both counts in this case.

"The only path forward" is rioting?

What an idiotic statement, especially when the end result is potentially a path backward.
[+]
 Asura.Toeknee
By Asura.Toeknee 2020-06-02 02:29:24  
Who is WE? Why are you implying that the posters here have not listened? WE do not have any power to change anything unless we have some Mayors, Govs, Police chiefs, DAs, etc that are FFXI players. That is one of the issues, they are targeting people who have no power or way to change this (small business owners especially) and its wrong. Why don't they loot and riot at their elected officials homes? Wouldn't that push for a change faster than stealing from stores? All the looters/rioters are doing is causing chaos, and they aren't even for the cause.

because they set up a barricade of cops around Chauvin's house while they let the precinct burn. also, either the looting is related and they need to target people better - or they aren't related at all and we can stop conflating the violence with the protest. you can't have it both ways
 Valefor.Commodus
サーバ: Valefor
user: abknight
By Valefor.Commodus 2020-06-02 02:29:58  

You're really trying my patience and if I didn't know better I'd say you're intentionally being confrontational because of a gut reaction. All this time you kept saying "LOOK AT HIS FIRST POST!!" as if you deliberately are ignoring every clarification I've made since that time.

Nothing in that *** post advocates for violence. I don't WANT people to hurt each other, I don't even like looking at videos of violence.

If I'm being real, I entered the thread super pissed off at people in general sitting on their ivory towers spewing pleasantries like "violence is never the answer!!" and "violence only begets violence!!" and quoting *** MLK to make shallow points.

YOU are privileged if you have never been in a situation where you felt your only recourse was violence.

I'm going to be hypocritical and post THIS MLK quote:

Quote:
First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. Who the *** are you to dictate how oppressed black people should act when a cop murders a black man? Who gave you the RIGHT to be some moral *** arbiter here? Don't be a snooty *** and look down on these people that are hurting. Don't criticize the cornered mouse for lashing out against the predatory snake.

Draylo's 100% right. directx is just a privileged white kid in his mom's basement, now he's getting outwardly upset because people aren't taking him seriously after he opened by advocating for violence and then spent the entire night proving himself wrong in a multitude of ways.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:30:04  

"We" here means American society at large, sorry. Particularly government officials.

The folks at Minneapolis raided the police station. There are groups that have attempted attacking public officials' work spaces and residences. But as you see with Trump, you have a much higher chance of getting shot or gassed if you endanger a public official compared to if you target a corporate building.

At any rate, there are WAY more business buildings than government buildings, so naturally the closest targets are gonna be business buildings. (The objective with the arson and looting is to catch peoples' attention, after all)
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-06-02 02:31:15  

"The only path forward" is rioting?

What an idiotic statement, especially when the end result is potentially a path backward.

You seem like you have all the answers. What's your alternative?
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 117 118 119