New FFXI Expansion Crowdfund Idea

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » New FFXI expansion crowdfund Idea
New FFXI expansion crowdfund Idea
By Draylo 2020-03-12 18:03:09  
They also said they were doing no new updates or adding anything new after ROV, yet here we are? Just stop trying to convince people that its all doom and gloom. There is always a possibility, especially if there are still fans of the game asking for it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Loynis
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2020-03-12 18:15:31  
RoV was 5 years ago, they probably thought they would end the game a year or two after that, not have it go on another 8+ years. So their announcement of no new updates is reasonable for the time.

I don't think we need to crowdfund anything as they have said they are working on something at this time, and depending on the release schedule (soonᵗᵐ) and with the funding for the next roughly 3 years, if this one is released soon enough, we may see a second, or even a third.

On the other hand, let's face reality. The game is approaching 20 years, it's old. It's PS2 old, and it's life is finite. We know FFXI-R is in the works, and will likely be the 'successor' to our beloved/hated game. There is also the DSP project to consider as well, while incomplete we have shown we ourselves are capable of rebuilding the game to nearly modern standards.

Also advance counter to "if we can do it, why can't they!" for the DSP comment, our labor is free(ish), theirs isn't. Since we don't have the source code of FFXI anyway, we don't know how different the systems are either, it may not be just simple conversions, but a full-blown rebuild.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
サーバ: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2020-03-12 22:39:30  
Oddly enough, I think the best factor in favor of saving the real XI is the fact that it's a numbered entry in the series. I think it's likely that if this were never branded FF and was instead "Vana'diel Chronicles" or somesuch, it would've been shitcanned years ago.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-16 18:18:07  
How old is EverQuest? At least 5 years older than XI, isn't that game still being played, and getting expansions?

It would be aweful short sighted of a developer to expect that an MMO has a lifetime. These games are supposed to be played over a lifetime. They are open ended they aren't meant to be "beaten" in the traditional video game sense.

I stand corrected it's about 3 years older:

https://mobile.twitter.com/everquest/status/1239632316948983820?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Looking at some of the other old school MMOs, justa quick glance, it seems that XI is holding pretty strong as far as longevity is concerned. Ultima Online would have to be the first, only thing I found was that it made it 18 years, EQ seems to be holding in there also, I really don't understand why people think MMOs should be "retired" a few of them have proven to keep ticking along. EQ has something like 24 expansions....

Long live XI
By fillerbunny9 2020-03-16 18:24:44  
how many people are paying every month for Mog Wardrobes 3 and 4? I am pretty sure they've got your expansion money right there, and at basically no real cost aside from server slowdown because they refuse to run packets faster than dial up speeds....
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-16 18:35:31  
I think SE shot themselves in the foot by releasing XIV at all. They should have just kept resources on XI, or even spent that money on a hardware port for the game. They effectively split their fan base. Could have done graphics updates, expansions out the ***, and kept a much larger subscription and user base if they had just stuck to one MMO. Especially with XIV being a total rip off of vana'diel species etc. They should have gone with a total different genre if they did want to make a new one, like space cowboys or something.