フォーラム » Windower » General » XIPivot - ROM mods without overwriting originals
XIPivot - ROM mods without overwriting originals
 Asura.Sitara
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Heals
By Asura.Sitara 2019-04-16 08:33:32  
Hi,
I've recently been working on an addon / plugin für Windower and Ashita which allows the use of ROM (DAT) modifications without having to touch the original retail game files.

It works by using so called "overlay" directories - each directory with a complete set of folders and files that will be used instead of the originals whenever XI tries to access them.

Overlays can be stacked and will be searched in order so you can decide which Mod takes precedence in case two Mods change the same file.

It has support for loading / unloading of Mods at runtime (as much as the game can cope with it) as well as with a permanent config file.

If you're curious feel free to give it a try.

Features
  • load Mods while keeping the original files intact

• control the priority of Mods

• keep everything in neatly separated folders

• runtime load/unload support

• experimental support for sound / music overloads

• supports dynamically loaded DAT files (Mog Houses, Maps etc.)

• works with Windower 4 and Ashita 3

• as of 0.2.0: supports replacing sound effects and music

• as of 0.3.0: works even with file indexing disabled and on compressed volumes

• as of 0.3.0: ignores upper and lower case naming when looking for Mod files

Installation
XIPivot is not part of the default addon distribution for either Launcher (yet?)

It is available as Windower4 addon or Ashita plugin from GitHub
Download the XIPivot_<Launcher>.zip and follow the included README

Known Limitations
Currently there is a known limitation if used with Windower 4 that is a result of the timing for when Windower loads addons and basically prevents any ROM data which is loaded before the "Accept Terms" screen to be changed. This is a Windower-only limitation. Anything that is loaded after or loaded dynamically will work just fine.

P.S. I'm personally using it with XI-View, XI-Vision as well as the complete set of FFXI-HD mods, including those that are marked as "You need to overwrite the original files" which is not needed with XIPivot
[+]
 Asura.Kurairyu
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kurairyu 2019-04-22 22:00:48  
Hi sir. I would like to learn how to use your program a bit better. All I’m trying to do atm is Switch all the Great Katana to Tenzen’s Phoenix Katana. I was wondering if you could either walk me through how to use it correctly or make a little video on how to use it.
[+]
By kireek 2019-04-27 08:23:01  
What are the chances of this being added to the windower launcher itself?

Not subbed right now, so I can't test it. Does it work well, no slowdown or other issues, is it simple to use for people who aren't familiar with modding?
By Lili 2019-04-27 09:23:39  
kireek said: »
What are the chances of this being added to the windower launcher itself?

Not subbed right now, so I can't test it. Does it work well, no slowdown or other issues, is it simple to use for people who aren't familiar with modding?

They were looking into it;
yes;
it depends on what mods you swap in, I'm using it for no-glow homepoints/confluxes and tamed geomancy bubbles, and my fps is up. HD textures will probably cause tons of slowdown. The addon itself seems to have close to no overhead on my 2012 laptop;
yes, just read the readme and experiment a bit.
[+]
By Heals 2019-04-27 13:30:44  
Sorry for the late reply.. it was a rough week.
I think the README should explain the basic setup pretty well, but I'm happy to recap too.

What it is:
a way to load ready made mods without performance loss and so far no known issues
If you use HQ textures you will, ofc. suffer from loading delays, but that's down to the textures, not the plugin.

What it isn't:
a magic "I have this file I want to mod XY" solution.

As an example let's take a ready-made Mod like the ones I listed in my original post - (XI-View, HQ Mods etc).
For those you usually get a set of directories labelled "ROM", "ROM1" up to "ROM9" and you're supposed to copy those into your FFXI installation and replace the original files there.

Mods like these require almost no work with XIPivot:
  • open the directory you installed the XIPivot plugin into

• find the DATs subdirectory

• create a subdirectory for the mod - for example "XI-View"

• put the Mod's ROM directories into the directory you created

• add "XI-View" to XIPivot's config file (see the README)

On the other hand - the question Kuraiyu asked goes outside of "ready made Mods".

You first need to know which files to replace - if you get Tenzen's Phoenix Katana from FFXIDats it comes as a single file with a .DAT extension (Tenzen's Phoenix - fixe.DAT).

You will have to use a program like AltanaView (can be found on FFXIAH) and in that check all the Katana's and which DAT file they are in.
This can be done in AltanaView by selecting a weapon and then looking into the status-line where it'll read something like ]"FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM\98\47.DAT".

See this screenshot for an example in AltanaView

With that knowledge you would:
  • open the directory you installed XIPivot into

• find the DATs subdirectory

• create a subdirectory for the mod - let's call it "Tenzen-Katana"

• create subdirectories to match what AltanaView shows - e.g. "ROM\98\"

• copy Tenzen's Phoenix - fixed.DAT into the "ROM\98\" directory and name it like what AltanaView showed - e.g. "47.DAT"

• repeat the last two steps for all the other Katana models you want replace

• add "Tenzen-Katana" to XIPivot's config file (see the README)

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [57 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Foxmulder
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2019-06-23 02:17:26  
Really appreciate this addon. Is there a way to have certain overlays depending on the character? I tried to create character-specific lists and the addon seemed to just overwrite them away.
By Heals 2019-07-02 03:21:02  
For Windower that's supported in theory but the issue is that a lot of the games DAT files are already loaded way before your character is logged in so it's mostly too late to change them at that point.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [126 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Gorns
サーバ: Valefor
user: Gorns
By Valefor.Gorns 2019-11-05 06:50:28  
I should have actually posted here my problem:

Recently add your plugin and it's no problem to load it from the game.

I've created the folders for each mod, XI-View and FFXI-HD in the DATs subdirectory.

But in game, when I enter :
/console pivot add FFXI-HD

I have the message 'Failed to load FFXI-HD'

what did I miss ?