users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG body
DRG body
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-12 09:52:34  
After about 100 Floor 80s with no Askar body I'm starting to get hopeless that it will ever drop.

My drg is 48. So I have a while to get a decent body, but I would like to hear if there are any other alternatives to Askar. Specifically if Homam has any weight in TP or what else would be good to TP in at a merit level.

Thanks.
 Sylph.Taruzard
サーバ: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Taruzard 2009-10-12 09:55:30  
User submitted image
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-12 10:02:26  
Aurum is a great TP body, and can be used for WS to.

Zahak's Mail is good if you can get enough sTP else where (rose + brutal + rajas).

Ares, same as Zahak's Mail.

Homam is an option, but there are better ^^.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-10-12 10:03:03  
I'd assume Homam is better than being a pumpkin! ^^;.

And Zahak's too.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-12 10:05:21  
You don't really need the extra accuracy on most mobs as Drg/Sam with Hasso up tbh. (Kind of arbitrary stats, but...) With 68+15 Dex, 292 polearm skill, +28 Acc, and Hasso on birds, you're capped for 95% hit-rate. Homam is best imo if you really need the accuracy. I like the Store TP+5 and DA+2% if you don't need the acc of Homam.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-12 10:28:48  
Homam's not going to do much for you against merit-level mobs, with a decent build you should be capped anyway with merits. Aurum, Zahak's, and Nuevo are all viable options, Assault Jerkin is a decent option as well. Aurum is basically the piece you'd ideally be TPing in... forever, on DRG, so if you can get that and skip Askar that's your ideal option. It's a nice WS piece as well.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-10-12 10:40:47  
At least Aurum drop rate is not too bad on Tyger. Got to be willing to do ZNM though... on some servers some Linkshells will also sell it for half the price of Zahak's.
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-12 17:02:35  
Without Askar, you'll want at least Rose Strap + Ecphoria ring to keep up your 6hit. If you can get Aurum, it's better than askar, covers your 6hit though.

Back to the bodies w/o store tp. It basically comes down to your current acc. Out of all the non store tp bodies, Homam is going to be best, provided you're in a situation where you can benefit from all of it's acc. From there you just look for attack bodies like ares, and last but not least assault jerkin. You could also try to make a body from your ACP, if you haven't already done so.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-10-12 17:34:05  
For TP, Aurum, Nuevo, Homam, situationally.. Assault Jerkin if you've nothing better.. Aurum is, as most have said, your best bet for TP. Personally, I'm still holding out for Askar, myself, as I don't get into ZNM, ACP is a chore, and despite all my time in the game, still no sea access for Homam. If you found yourself unwilling for all of these options, and you make up some stats, elsewhere, you might be able to use Hydra Mail. It's almost an SH+1 as far as straight acc and eva, with some situational benefits in soloing.. If you needed the acc over AJ's attack with your gear setup, then it would be the next best thing to Homam. Granted, there's a bit of a gap between them.

For WS, my preference is Z Mail, Ares, Heca. It's hard to say anything really beats Z Mail for Drakesbane; Ares over Heca could actually be a wash, but Ares is so much more useful to DRG that it isn't even funny.. Refresh for /mage soloing, and an immense swap for Jump. Of course, there is also a pretty big difference in difficulty to attain and price between Ares and Heca, and Heca is by no means 'gimp'..

Personally, I never decided to get Assault Jerkin, so in merit parties, I can often be found TPing in Z Mail, at least until I can get Askar in that slot, instead. Eventually, I might mire myself in all the end-game drama and BS and get the things I'd need to actually make my DRG a contender.. Just not worth it, currently.

I'm more of a theorycrafter, anyway.. Doing is hard, thinking is easy :P
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-12 18:29:07  
Ares Cuirass isn't a great option as Drakesbane goes since it's a multihit crit WS. Wheeling Thrust is quite another matter.
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-12 21:53:05  
Oh hey Rylis.

Thanks for all the suggestions, time to find a ZNM LS, or a LS so I can just buy Aurum body. Any other Aurum peices good? Besides feet of course.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-12 21:55:19  
legs can be good if you don't have heca/ares for WS, not sure about the other pieces.
 Bahamut.Dracondria
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-10-12 22:34:35  
Head is very good as a TP piece pre-Turban. Decent WS piece as well.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-13 02:39:28  
The feet make a good pre-homam TP feet.
 Asura.Charlottie
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Charlottie 2009-10-13 02:45:27  
Dracondria said:

to clarify, it's good in low haste situations. askar, we're talking about. aurum, head sucks
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-10-13 04:31:07  
Charlottie said:

Dracondria said:

to clarify, it's good in low haste situations. askar, we're talking about. aurum, head sucks

Pre turban as in... before 75.

Aside from Patroclus's Helm and Panther Mask it is the only haste head before level 75.

Its not really an end game item, but if you have one, its useful for a few levels.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-13 04:41:27  
What are we talking about? Askar helm?

Not using Askar Helm is like not using Ace's Helm >.>
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-13 04:45:06  
Enternius said:
What are we talking about? Askar helm?

Not using Askar Helm is like not using Ace's Helm >.>

Not really.

Capped acc = Turban > all

Uncapped acc = Ace's > Turban ≥ Askar

Whether to use Turban or Askar is going to be dependent on your hitrate and how much haste you have.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-10-13 05:36:20  
Yeah.. Really, Ace's v. Turban v. Askar is really going to be a matter of acc. As I understood it, the best a DRG could do on Haste is 24%, and that's including some pretty staggering pieces.. V/Speed Belt, Barb Zerehs or Homam, Dusk gloves +1, Wyrm Mail +1, Blitz Ring, W Turban, and Homam or Dusk Ledelsens +1.. So, really, it's not insensible to say that on something you can easily cap acc on, every bit of haste you can grab is important, as unlike some jobs, you don't have as many interchangeable options..

As Vegetto says, if you can't cap your Acc, depending on how much you're going to lose on hit rate, it's going to affect the value of the Haste. It doesn't necessarily matter how much faster you swing if you can't hit..

For TP purposes, with less than capped, Ace's wins. Pretty obvious, if you need the acc, it gives almost as much as O-hat, plus the 4% Haste. Frees up other slots to fill with whatever else you might be lacking.. Barring Ace's, which I'm sure everyone has.. Askar will grant your 3 Acc 3 Atk from 4 Dex and 4 Str, and the 4% Haste. W Turban provides little of actual value beyond the 5%Haste, but if you're high on haste already, and have a pretty respectable hitrate, then you might get slightly better results with it over Askar. Becomes situational.

Almost always, though, if you're not at the acc cap, Askar beats Turban, and Ace's beats both. Otherwise, Turban's extra point of haste is just fine.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-13 05:44:23  
"Almost always, though, if you're not at the acc cap, Askar beats Turban"

Turban should win any time you have double marches and haste unless your hitrate is atrocious