users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Volume 1 Feb. 2019
Ambuscade Volume 1 Feb. 2019
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2019-02-13 15:15:17  
We're at 7~9 min clears for VD using coordinated defense down moves and skillchains.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2019-02-13 16:24:49  
Shiva.Arislan said: »
Lepetit89 said: »
Actual skillchain damage may be a good explanation.

At least things seemed to go way more smoothly for us when only DRG and BLU were skillchaining by spamming Stardiver and CdC for non-stop Darkness. Having the DNC interrupt our skillchains or create weaker ones may have been what led to the PD spam until we told him to just use Waltzes and refrain from using WS.

SC coordination is half the battle (the other half is def down).

Your best DPS option there would have been Stardiver > CDC > Rudra's Storm 3-step. Automatic 99k+ on that 3rd step w/ how weak these Qiqirn are to SCD. DNC should definitely be able to keep up (if not surpass) BLU and DRG at tp-gain.

And if somebody gets stunned (which they will), instead of letting the chain break, the other two can easily keep the 3-step up with the WS they have available. Gravitation > Distortion > Darkness all day long between Sword, Pole and Dagger.

Requires ppl to actually learn their WS properties and requires reaction/chemistry, but it's the path to the most efficient clears this month.

That's exactly what we did and it worked very nicely. Once we got it down our runs were in the 8min range (I'd Mighty Guard on blu and it wouldnt wear until we were done with the Boss plus about 2-3 of the adds. Couldnt quite last the entire run)
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-02-13 19:01:09  
I'm not sure I buy the whole "SCing stops PD". I'd wager if anything it's damage over a certain amount, SC is just easiest way to hit it. I just did a 20k Distortion SC and it PD'd instantly in response. So I'm wondering if it's just "Do more than 30k to delay PD" or if we're wrong about the mechanic entirely.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-13 19:05:59  
I'm gonna say wrong entirely, plenty of times I've done 30k+ 4 step sc and it answers with PD, boss and minis.

It just seems to be random, sometimes they PD without even being hit! wake up from sleep and PD. the faster you kill it, the less they can PD (obviously). There was one mini yesterday that did pd after every single ws, it was literally impossible to sc it lol.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-02-13 19:20:32  
It's definitely SC damage and not WS damage. We've had runs where we spammed our strongest WS's and had it spam PD until I made the BLU's use CDC instead of Expacian. *Bam* instant stopped the PD spam.

Our theory is that the monster can not PD during the MB window of a SC or something along those lines.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-02-13 19:34:28  
 Asura.Bratgurl
user: shantoto
By Asura.Bratgurl 2019-02-13 19:46:00  
Didnt bother to read this whole thread, but tested today, you CAN take a geo, torpor/frailty work full potency and dont cause any of the mechanics as songs/rolls or geo buffing spells cause.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-02-13 19:49:44  
Asura.Bratgurl said: »
Didnt bother to read this whole thread, but tested today, you CAN take a geo, torpor/frailty work full potency and dont cause any of the mechanics as songs/rolls or geo buffing spells cause.

RIP WHM's then
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-02-13 20:02:52  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

It's probably a damage threshold, and 20k isn't enough.

3-step chain seems to be the sweet spot.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2019-02-13 20:04:10  
Asura.Bratgurl said: »

You sure the qiqirn aren't immune to the effects of offensive geomancy?
 Asura.Bratgurl
user: shantoto
By Asura.Bratgurl 2019-02-13 20:10:26  
Damage went way up with same dd's when we brought a geo to do torpor/frailty, can test it also if you want, but we did some testing today with Leaden's, with malaise, then finally torpor/frailty. Damage was night and day from the same dd's using torpor/frailty.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2019-02-13 20:27:14  
I just tried Indi-Poison and it didn't seem to work, it never went from 100%-99%

tried on VE vol 1
By likard 2019-02-13 21:13:21  
Just tested frailty and topor. No increase in damage or acc seen.
By Afania 2019-02-13 21:36:47  
Whats up with all the contradicting results again?

1) Certain secret mechanic makes geo work?
2) people didnt test properly?

Can anyone post the exact steps that they use?
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-02-13 21:40:21  
Afania said: »
Whats up with all the contradicting results again?

1) Certain secret mechanic makes geo work?

Can anyone post the exact steps that they use?

I was thinking exactly the same lol. How can something so simple have completely different result. There is some mechanic or someone is very bad at testing stuff :)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-13 21:40:42  
Afania said: »
SimonSes said: »
How can something so simple have completely different result.
And they're usually pretty damn dumb tbh. There really is not much easier than verifying THAT something works. (Finding the amount, is a different story)

The pure ignorance when the frog was the ambu was absolutely priceless for example. and the WSD thing from a few months back... 10 *** pages. seriously. Some of you can't even be bothered to verify your GEO+ and Roll+ gear is equipped properly ffs.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-13 23:15:59  

Incredible difference GEO makes, look at that night and day change
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2019-02-16 05:58:33  
Kind of late to the show on this but... Impact is another debuff RDM should try to work in. With the recent Magic Accuracy buffs the job got coupled with Frazzle III I was having absolutely no trouble sticking Impact on pretty much every mob in the battle. It speeds up the kill-speed a lot.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-02-16 06:59:22  
Impact has a long cast and recast. We can deal with the long cast but even at cap the recast means evey other or third add.
By Ruaumoko 2019-02-16 07:23:26  
True. The timer can be an issue.

I tend to use it first on the MB then use Spontaniety and Insta-Cast it on the first add so when that dies quickly it's ready for the second add. Third one is a bit of a wash but it should be up for the fourth add.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-02-16 12:14:06  
Finally a good use for that JA.
 Odin.Willster
サーバ: Odin
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2019-02-18 00:54:01  
So, what's with the random Kibosh damage? I make sure to dispel whenever it steals anything, can't help if it steals tp...and still one shots peeps. Other times it deals very little.
By Ruaumoko 2019-02-18 02:12:59  
Odin.Willster said: »
So, what's with the random Kibosh damage? I make sure to dispel whenever it steals anything, can't help if it steals tp...and still one shots peeps. Other times it deals very little.
I suspect it's based on proximity to other Qiqrin that fluctuates the damage.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-18 02:56:49  
I've been hit for 2500 on VE, there are no other Q's to be near, so thats out.
 Sylph.Reain
サーバ: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2019-02-18 04:29:33  
Possibly related to the Def/M.Def down from Dead Eye or -stat from Status Theft.
By Wotasu 2019-02-18 04:41:21  
Sylph.Reain said: »
Possibly related to the Def/M.Def down from Dead Eye or -stat from Status Theft.
As mostly whm to this month Ambuscade I've erased all these when melee been afflicted, still does deadly Kibosh sometimes.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-02-18 04:52:04  
I've seen deadly kiboosh even with everything erased. Granted it seems (but maybe I'm biased) it's less frequent when everything gets erased?

I was trying to dispel everything but I'm not 100% sure I remembered to dispel on every single Qiqrin every run, every time, every second.

The proximity theory by Ruaumoko... could be, but I *think* I remember seeing deadly kiboosh even with just one Qiqrin left alive. (not 100% sure on this though, I could be wrong)
 Leviathan.Katriina
サーバ: Leviathan
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2019-02-18 05:50:30  
So far, I have two hypothesis to Kibosh:

Hypothesis I:
Kibosh seems to gain momentum after The Pilferer is done with Theft Cycle on a single target, before it drops a Mine and hate gets reset.

It still needs confirmation, but from the last 5 runs or so on D in a PUG, the only two incidents that Kibosh did 3k+ was after a Theft Cycle, where; HP Theft> MP Theft> Status Theft> Ability Theft> TP Theft> Kibosh> Player was floored.[Order seemed random but always ended with TP Theft].

Hypothesis II:
Kibosh only gets a buff if the player who is about to get hit with it has a debuff active, Defense Down, Magic Defense Down, Blind, Status Down like -100 VIT.

I went several times on DNC, and I always used [Healing Waltz] with WHM to cancel all Debuffs, granted it was at most three debuffs, but twice I got hit with all 3 Theft moves and Sand Spray.. couldn't remove the last one, and got hit with 3k+.

In regards to party setup [Inconclusive]:
We went with 2 DRKs and 2 DNC last time, and none died of Kibosh.. DRKs did few absorb spells though, VIT and STR.

Personally, Im leaning towards the second hypothesis, but again, its all just assumptions.
 Odin.Willster
サーバ: Odin
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2019-02-18 09:04:14  
Sylph.Reain said: »
I was the rdm and whm. The mob had not bud on and players were erased.
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2019-02-20 13:00:47  
Yeah, I've seen quite a few players w/ no debuffs get dropped by a 2-3k Kibosh on D and VD.

The only real defense I've found is to maintain cureskin on any two-handers with hate. One-handers should being using shadows.

Unrelated PSA: under-geared/barely-geared RDM is not viable this month. Please don't try it.