2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Windower » General » Dupefind: find duplicate items across inventories
Dupefind: find duplicate items across inventories
VIP
By Lili 2018-12-03 15:23:36  
Hello all,

I am releasing Dupefind, one of my endeavors to make inventory management easier.

Dupefind helps you find multiple instance of the same item across all bags of the same character, and, if you have the addon findAll installed, even multiple instances across different characters, provided you ran findAll on those characters at least once.

Download: https://github.com/lili-ffxi/FFXI-Addons/ (last update: 02 June 2023)

USAGE: Invoke the addon with //dupefind, //dupe, or //df.

Example result:

By default, dupefind ignores Rare items, Exclusive items, items that cannot be stacked, items that cannot be sent via POL, and only considers your current character. It is possible to override each filter with a flag:

//dupefind ex - will include Exclusive items in the search
//dupefind nostack - will include non-stackable items
//dupefind rare - will include Rare items
//dupefind findall - will search across all of your characters (see note below)

All flags can be used in any order and combination. Examples:
//dupefind nostack ex
//dupefind rare findall
etc.

PLEASE NOTE: dupefind leverages findAll offline storage. Therefore, search results will include characters that no longer exist, renamed characters, your significant other's character, etc, anything that is stored under the windower\findall\data folder. If you get search results for characters that you do not longer have access to, delete their respective file from windower\findall\data folder, or add them to the ignore list in dupefind\data\settings.xml.

IGNORE FUNCTION:
Dupefind can be setup to ignore specific items, or specific characters. Simply load the addon at least once, then open dupefind\data\settings.xml and edit accordingly. Eventually there will be an addon command, but I'm lazy so right now you'll have to edit the file.
Note that there's two categories of ignored items: always ignored (linkshells, linkpearls...) and ignored only when searching through multiple characters. The latter is for stuff like remedies, echo drops, food, etc, which are expected to be present on more than a single character at all times. The items in this second list will still be reported when they're scattered on the current character.

POL GROUPS
You can tell dupefind what characters belong together to the same POL account, for the purpose of reporting EX items that can be sent across the same account. To do this, load the addon, then use the command
//df group 1 Character, Firstalt, Secondalt, Moremules, Etcetc
Those characters will then be saved under grouping 1. You can have an unlimited number of groups, just change the number accordingly.
You can make dupefind report all defined groups with the command
//df group display
You can also edit the groupings manually by editing the settings.xml

KNOWN ISSUES:
- if the same character is present in more than one POL group, dupefind might behave erratically. Make sure each character name only appears in one group.

TO-DO LIST:
- Add commands to add/remove ignored items and characters.
- Implement some sort of export function, to export the duplicates to a text file.

Feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions, unconditional praise, gifts, boobs, pizza, donations, all very welcome.

THANKS TO
Arcon for patiently guiding me through a bunch of lua hoops
Martel for some preliminary testing.
Zohno for making findAll (from which I copied a bunch of code, made my life much easier)
to all addon devs out there that make our life easier everyday
and to you, the player! (credits roll starts)

Enjoy!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kimikryo
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: kimikryo
By Bahamut.Kimikryo 2018-12-04 02:37:20  
Nice Idea man, will look into it if I get to it :)
By Spoiled 2018-12-04 02:49:44  
Great idea, thank you for your contribution. Can't wait to try it out
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2018-12-04 08:08:17  
This is great !
By Aerison 2018-12-04 09:39:47  
What's the difference between this and findall?
VIP
By Lili 2018-12-04 11:31:45  
Aerison said: »
What's the difference between this and findall?

findAll lets you look for one specific item.
Dupefind searches your entire inventory (all bags on the current character, or even all characters you own) and tells you if you have items scattered across different bags (or different characters).
 Asura.Truece
サーバ: Asura
user: Truece
By Asura.Truece 2018-12-04 12:03:12  
Findall does that, too. I must be missing something.

Found at this post.
VIP
By Lili 2018-12-04 12:09:50  
Asura.Truece said: »

The output of findall and of dupefind is totally different. Try running dupefind and the difference will be self evident.

EDIT: as you can see from the image you posted, findAll is looking for a string ("ab"), and returning every and all items that have that substring in their name. You have to provide a search string in the beginning, it's sorted by character, and there's no further filtering: there's quite a few of unique items in there. By "unique" I mean an item that is only present in a single bag.

Dupefind goal is to help you discover if you have items scattered around different bags or different characters. I realize it might be confusing, so here's a better picture (that I also put in the opening post).

Run this command:

(as you can see, no arguments at all)

Get this output:

Is it more clear now?
[+]
By Aerison 2018-12-04 12:21:49  
So the output is different from findall? At work and can't test it out.
VIP
By Lili 2018-12-04 12:31:45  
I edited my last post, and the opening post. Hopefully it will be a bit more clear now.
 Asura.Truece
サーバ: Asura
user: Truece
By Asura.Truece 2018-12-04 12:38:19  
Yes, thank you. That definitely helps to demonstrate functionality that you don't get from findall.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2018-12-04 12:40:49  
Yeah this is way more user friendly for finding duplicate stacks than findall. Yeah you can use findall to do it, but you'd have to manually do it item by item.

As soon as I ran this I found numerous things which saved me like 15 spaces - which is more than SE have done.

Cheers Lili!
[+]
By DaneBlood 2018-12-04 18:46:20  
Asura.Truece said: »

Found at this post.

yes you are missing the point. ;)

dupe finds any kind of duplicatea and duplicates.
find looks for items from a specific name parameter.
Different purpose.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2018-12-04 19:17:30  
Dupefind's philosophy is to create more inventory space.

If I duped any items I'd remember where I put them.
 Shiva.Spynx
サーバ: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2018-12-04 21:08:37  
Thanks for this, my organizer sometimes like to split meds/food/ninja tool around for no reason and I end up wasting precious inventory space till I realize
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [509 days between previous and next post]
VIP
By Lili 2020-04-26 19:30:29  
I did set up a GitHub finally, so I edited the OP accordingly. Newer updated version potentially incoming soon(ish).
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1133 days between previous and next post]
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-03 12:12:24  
Dupefind updated to version 1.0.2
After four years (!) of writing the first version, and a couple of months of testing, I'm finally releasing dupefind in the form that I always wanted it to work.

The new version works slightly different than the old one and introduces POL groups.

Functionality on a single character hasn't changed, except that now it recognizes EX items correctly, and will tell you about them.

The biggest improvement is that you can now tell dupefind what characters belong to the same account, for the purpose of finding items that can be sent to the same account.

To do this, load the addon, then use the group command:
//df group 1 Maincharacter, Firstalt, Secondalt, Craftingmule, Characteryouonlyusetotroll
These names will be saved in settings as characters that share a POL account, under the group "1". You can have as many groups as you want just by using different numbers, and you can edit them by overwriting them by specifying a number you already used. Repeat for as many accounts as you have!
You can use the command //df group display to show all groupings that are currently set up.

This major change introduces a slight difference in results than before: the //df findall function will now never show you EX items on non-grouped characters. If you want to find those, use the normal findall addon.

Lastly, an ignore across setting has been added to hide all those items that you want to have on multiple chars, whether they're EX or not: remedies, echo drops, food, exp rings... a few of those are set up by default in the addon itself, but you can add or remove them to your likings by editing the settings.xml. Those items will never be considered when they're found on other characters, but you will still receive a notice if your current character has some of those scattered around in bags.

All this data is saved into dupefind\data\settings.xml and you can edit it manually to your preference.

I hope I have been clear enough, but the new functionality is a little convoluted and English fails me. If anybody feels like writing a simpler explanation, you're welcome to do so.

Let me know if you stumble upon any bugs, and enjoy.
- L

Lili said: »
Newer updated version potentially incoming soon(ish).

Heh.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-03 15:57:16  
Could one use the POL groups to find various items across chars (currency, popitems, worthwhile materials, etc)? If so, absolutely goated
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-03 17:06:18  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Could one use the POL groups to find various items across chars (currency, popitems, worthwhile materials, etc)? If so, absolutely goated

I advise you read the first couple of posts on this very same page to understand how this work, because it sounds like you do not have clear what dupefind is and what kind of search it performs.

Dupefind will only report those items if the same item is present in the inventory of more than one character, and if the item is tradeable across those characters. The POL grouping lets the addon know when an EX item can be traded across two characters because they are on the same POL account.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-03 17:27:33  
I know what dupefind is. I use it to consolidate stuff that wound up scattered across multiple bags ie: headshard: rdm x1 in sack and x1 in satchel.

Thats why I was asking if it could be used to find stuff across multiple characters ie: I have 3 duskcrawlers on one char and 4 duskcrawlers on another char that I could consolidate.

But it sounds like its only for EX stuff, so probably not.
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-03 17:39:08  
I know what dupefind is. I use it to consolidate stuff that wound up scattered across multiple bags ie: headshard: rdm x1 in sack and x1 in satchel.

Correct. And if you invoke it with the "//df findall" command, it will tell you if there's swart astral detritus in the satchel of character1 and the sack of character2. But this function has always been there, it was kinda the point of writing it to begin with.

Thats why I was asking if it could be used to find stuff across multiple characters ie: I have 3 duskcrawlers on one char and 4 duskcrawlers on another char that I could consolidate.

But it sounds like its only for EX stuff, so probably not.

Yes, it can find your duskcrawlers scattered around. You need to invoke it with the "//df findall" command, and you need to have ran the findall addon at least once on the other characters so that there's a file on disk with their inventories saved.

The new update to dupefind just makes it so it won't tell you that you have paragon white mage cards on two characters unless those two characters are on the same POL account.

It's not just for EX items. Sounds like you weren't aware of the full functionality of the addon previously.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-06-03 17:48:30  
Lili said: »
But this function has always been there.
Sounds like you weren't aware of the full functionality of the addon previously.
Nope, I was unaware this already existed. It doesnt help that the version I have been using 0.5.2.

Thank you for the information and your great work, I'm gonna go update my stuff now.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-06-03 18:40:48  
It doesnt help that the version I have been using 0.5.2.

Thank you for the information and your great work, I'm gonna go update my stuff now.

0.5.2 was the previously available version, so you did have the latest. The version jump is because the addon works significantly different now - although most people won't notice it.

<feng shui guy> So, now you know!

You're welcome. Have fun and free up those inventory slots!
[+]