New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » An End-Game Guide to Tanking
An End-Game Guide to Tanking

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2018-08-24 17:23:46  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
Because a lot of people just assume RUN is a decent DD but it turns out they can only work it with a lot of support.

What do you expect >.>

Run is a tank job with extremely high surviability, and it has the ability to switch to "tank mode" immediately when things go wrong. If it can compete with DRK WAR SAM without max buffs then it'd be utterly broken. >.>

This is FFXI, every job all has their own strength and weakness, some works best in certain situation but not another situation. No DD is by all end all best for everything. Most DDs in FFXI excel at one thing and "functional" in another.

Surely we don't need to explain THAT because "every job has strength and weakness" is like, FFXI common sense lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-24 17:25:41  
Except that RUN has no weakness. /digress

(it's not intended to be a dd, so doing less than perfect dding is not a weakness)
By Afania 2018-08-24 17:29:09  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Except that RUN has no weakness. /digress

IMO, it's currently the best tank for general endgame tanking.

As a DD in DD slot I think it's often a bit overrated by the community, due to the lack of strong solo multi step SC access like WAR DRK DRG SAM DNC etc, and how buff dependant it can be. I wouldn't say it's the best DD.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
(it's not intended to be a dd, so doing less than perfect dding is not a weakness)

I def agree that overall it's one of the better job in game atm.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-24 18:36:01  
Hmm I tossed my refined grip a while ago but can get another. I thought mensch+1 replaced that though, unless it's really for the HP?
 Asura.Sirtaint
user: Taint
By Asura.Sirtaint 2018-08-24 18:55:25  
Ambu def stats have opened up RUN. I rarely change out Utu but i also have refined for full tank situations.

Part of RUNs strength is they get a great Aeonic for DPS and the Epeo for tanking. Battuta and LR line up perfectly and Foil plus the JA aresenal dilutes the need for /blu in AoE situations.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-08-24 19:04:38  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
No, paladin isn't in the same class as rune fencer. Rune fencer skips past nearly every other DD in zergs on the tier list when max buffed,

No it doesn't <.<...

Where RUN jumps ahead is in fights where you can't protect the heavy DD's from mass status ailment spam. Then max buff RUN pulls way ahead because the rest are crippled.

I say this as someone who not only has a super DD RUN, but was the original DD RUN ~way~ back after it's initial release. RUN isn't as strong as the other heavy DD's in pure power, yet it doesn't need to be because it's defenses let it play a whole different angle.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-08-24 19:58:53  
Shiva.Arislan said: »
build that ballin Phalanx set

Sorry to get this thread back on track (really am)

Should I just aim for Dark matter Phalanx+4 on a herc set as I don't want to work on Ergon as of yet (working on DP for cor) or do I need to have them 5+

I have 3/5 atm phalanx 4
 Shiva.Hiep
サーバ: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2018-08-24 20:25:20  
1-2 Phalanx isn't going to make or break a RUN. You could just get Phalanx 3 on Taeon gear outside of DM campaign. The Phalanx 3-5 would just be a bonus.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-08-24 20:33:48  
Hmmm - What stones are needed for Taeon? BG doesn't have that augment listed

Edit Nvm - Im high as f spending gil so sober me can cry in the morning - the answer is duskdim
By aigulfe 2018-08-24 20:36:34  
Looks like Duskdim... and yeah I gotta knock out some Phalanx+ also still.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-24 20:40:52  
Yeah, +3~5 on Taeon or Herc per slot, as best as you can manage -- really makes a difference. +5~7 from relic head. +4 from Deacon Sword if you're casting before battle.

If using Phalanx + Embolden, then drop Phalanx+ and go full duration.
By aigulfe 2018-08-24 20:47:30  
if im looking at the equation right, above 300 skill, Phalanx+1 is like equal to 29 enhancing skill?
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2018-08-24 20:47:44  
Sorry let me restate it, the difference you can get from max Taeon Phalanx augs vs max Herculean augs isn't going to make or break a good RUN.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-08-24 21:20:01  
Thanks for this info -

Should I even attempt to tank until I have a nice Phalanx set?

Shiva.Arislan said: »
If using Phalanx + Embolden, then drop Phalanx+ and go full duration.

Would that mean if using Embolden there is no need for Phalanx+ at all (meaning there isnt any gains)
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-08-24 21:47:04  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Should I even attempt to tank until I have a nice Phalanx set?

Oh of course you can. I was just suggesting a more defensive subjob like /BLU (Cocoon) or /WAR (Defender) in the meantime.

Would that mean if using Embolden there is no need for Phalanx+ at all (meaning there isnt any gains)

It's more about getting ~180 seconds of emboldened potency, versus a slightly higher potency for only ~90 seconds.
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2018-08-24 21:47:35  
I always encourage the people I play with to maximize their jobs, but the probability of getting a full Phalanx 4-5 set from DM campaign is abysmal. It shouldn't discourage you from learning to tank. It's more important to have a strong tanking set, understanding the mob's mechanics, and timing your buffs/enmity tools so you don't get hit in your midcast gear (assuming your midcast set has a low amount of DT).

There is still usefulness to Phalanx+ during embolden as the only pieces of enhancing duration gear RUN can use would be Erilaz Galea +1, Regal Gauntlets, and Futhark Trousers +3. Therefore you could still use Phalanx+ for body and feet, but it's personal preference if you'd want to equip enhancing duration over Phalanx+ during embolden.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-08-24 22:15:00  
Capes -

I have 5 atm -

2 are DPS Reso and DPS (STP10 ACC30 Dex20 Atk 20/w 10pdt)

Tank capes I have zero clue on and wondering how many more I need and what to put on the rest
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
サーバ: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2018-08-24 22:21:18  
Overall, really not a bad guide. Something you could however add/change to your tanking gearsets would be precast/enmity sets to show how you reduce/eliminate the HP bouncing all over the place between sets.
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2018-08-24 22:26:07  
Capes -

I have 5 atm -

2 are DPS Reso and DPS (STP10 ACC30 Dex20 Atk 20/w 10pdt)

Tank capes I have zero clue on and wondering how many more I need and what to put on the rest

Just my preference on Tank Cape and FC cape:

gear.EnmityCape = {name="Ogma's Cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Mag. Evasion+10','Enmity+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}}

gear.FCCape = {name="Ogma's Cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','HP+20','"Fast Cast"+10','Spell interruption rate down-10%',}} (PDT-10 or DT-5 works fine here too)
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [418 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Vikter
サーバ: Odin
user: Vikter
By Odin.Vikter 2019-10-25 10:25:30  
What’s a good phalanx set for run? What number should I be hitting on run for enhancing skill to get the best at phalanx?
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 10:53:54  
If you do not care about HP dip when precast/midcasting, then 500 enhancing skill.

If you do care about HP dip, aim for minimum of 444 skill.

This is my set. Change Herculean for Taeon if you do not have DM augments.
ItemSet 368747

This is what I prefer since I love having minimal HP dip and a rather large amount of DT midcast to stop me dying if I get caught.
 Shiva.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-10-25 11:09:44  
Odin.Vikter said: »
What’s a good phalanx set for run? What number should I be hitting on run for enhancing skill to get the best at phalanx?

Quick and easy:

Taeon Body, Hands, Legs and Feet augmented with Phalanx +3
Futhark Bandeau +3 for Phalanx + 7 for a total of +19 in your cast set.

Difficult, Expensive, pray to RNGesus or sacrifice to Lootcifer with Dark Matter offerings:

Herc Body, Hands, Legs, Feet with Phalanx +4~5 a piece.
Futhark Bandeau +3 to get up into +20~21.

You’ll be fine with just Taeon and Futhark+3.