Is Idris Not Needed?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Is Idris not needed?
Is Idris not needed?
By fonewear 2018-04-22 18:40:38  
I just chose not to play GEO problem solved.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2018-04-22 18:48:02  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
If you got 170k hallmarks to sell everything from ambuscade

You would get about 4k bayld too. Quarter of the way there

150 HMP
1750 Alex
750 Bayld
~1000 CuCu
2000 PRB

Gain-money even casually will net you 4m 3x a week. it's never been easier to get gil.
Good to know. Cheers!

Back to discussion: Get gud son.
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-22 18:56:25  
Sylph.Brahmsz said: »

150 HMP
1750 Alex
750 Bayld
~1000 CuCu
2000 PRB

Gain-money even casually will net you 4m 3x a week. it's never been easier to get gil.
Good to know. Cheers!

Back to discussion: Get gud son.
Facts
By Quizzy 2018-04-22 19:28:20  
Quote:
Gain-money even casually will net you 4m 3x a week.

I mean, yeah, if by "casual," you mean "play 24 hours a day."

Don't get me wrong, gil is easy to come by these days, but one does not "casually" hit up all three gains per week.
[+]
By Freazer 2018-04-22 19:37:19  
Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »

150 HMP
1750 Alex
750 Bayld
~1000 CuCu
2000 PRB

You're also assuming that a non-Idris Geo would be able to even get into an Ambuscade D+ party to get that 170k hallmarks; which I highly doubt.
could def gear a tank job or a good rema DD or even a nirvana smn and be able to do same content w/o needing idris, problem solved!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-22 20:21:46  
Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
@OP : Have you tried making your own party set-up? I'm a bard. Top tier bard has mythic, relic, and empy harp. I have ghorn and terp, so im referred to as a Ghorn +3. For a while i had no access to any of the AA fights. So I made my own setups and started to /yell and sure enough I got all my gears. Same thing with Einherjar, Dynamis, and random bcnm bs. I couldn't farm currency on bard so I lvld bst and unlocked dnc, and that's how I farmed up a Ghorn and a Ragnarok. I understand that you're a returning player, but you have to understand, if you don't move you're F'd. You need to find a way to come up and overcome the bs. I have to figure out how to get my war, who's Ragnarok is still 75 with no access to omen. Quick kills are needed when you have to do the same run 7 times in a row. I can't CP pt as a bard because I'm replaced by a Geo, I deal with it by just killing Mandy outside adoulin. You need to move man; the entire server is not going to change. Move with the river not against it man cause the current if gnarly.

I'm not actually referring to myself, but more my observations :). I'm personally an Idris Geo, Epeo Run, and multiple Aeonics. I had a similar issue starting out actually. I maimed Drg and couldn't get into content so I had to form all my parties haha.

Involving Brd, I am wondering how you couldn't find parties. Was this back when MB Apex was dominate? I ask because in today's CP Apex parties I find: DD, DD (or tank), Brd, Cor, Cor or Geo, Healer. - Is awesome.
I just returned from a year and half hiatus. On Asura at least I've been noticing a shift from BRD to Geo. I cp pt less than I used to since I returned, I see maybe a few shouts for bed, but mostly for a Geo.
Odd I see shouts for geo cor and brd respectively but never a shout for bed.
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2018-04-22 20:39:00  
I shout for a GEO and BRD in bed.
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-04-22 20:41:40  
Quote:
However, in the end, all this really does is reduce the kill time of the boss.

I suppose if all you tend to use is def/mdef/acc/macc down, that might be true.

Defensive bubbles can make or break a lot of fights for groups that aren't totally min/max'd, have non-Yag WHMs, low-man, etc.

At the end of the day, I'll happily take a non-Idris GEO who knows how to play the job, and can actually do things outside of bubbles (enfeeb, cure, -na) versus a meal-ticket, bubbles-only GEO w/ Idris.
[+]
 Odin.Vasche
By Odin.Vasche 2018-04-22 21:01:17  
If you use Idris... then how can you have a lady bell equipped so you can macro sweet tunes using /bell for your party? I suppose you could always /NIN. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Sylph.Namonaki
user: Namonaki
By Sylph.Namonaki 2018-04-22 21:13:18  
It bothered you that much that you went to make a topic about it? Sheesh.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-22 21:14:05  
Sylph.Dravidian said: »
I shout for a GEO and BRD in bed.
Hot :0
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-22 21:15:18  
Sylph.Namonaki said: »
It bothered you that much that you went to make a topic about it? Sheesh.
Lately he likes to post topics that start a discussion or arguement I Dano ;/ senakiiiiiiii!
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
サーバ: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2018-04-22 21:51:18  

150 HMP
1750 Alex
750 Bayld
~1000 CuCu
2000 PRB

You're also assuming that a non-Idris Geo would be able to even get into an Ambuscade D+ party to get that 170k hallmarks; which I highly doubt.

I bring my non-idris geo with me everywhere!
サーバ: Asura
user: swordwiz
By Asura.Lordoftheseven 2018-04-22 23:03:58  
I love this site always a good ***post to read while i take a ***at 12 am
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-22 23:04:22  
Asura.Lordoftheseven said: »
I love this site always a good ***post to read while i take a ***at 12 am
:isdead: lol
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-22 23:06:28  
If this is "good" you must be -very- easy to entertain. I'm legit jealous of your ability to be amused so easily u_u
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-22 23:22:03  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Non-RMEA DPS are fine. DPS with slightly under haste cap are fine. BRDs that don't gear swap are fine. WHMs without AF3 pants are fine. GEO without idris is fine. You can make a whole lot of sacrifices and still beat content, this game isn't that hard.

I am mostly joking.

But the difference it makes adds up, if you expect to join a pt be gear'd it's their party you aim to meet or exceed their standards not your own.

Or make your own party.
By Quizzy 2018-04-22 23:34:26  
Or, or... realize that pickup groups are for suckers ;-)

EDIT: The wink might throw some people off. I am completely serious. Pickup groups on Asura are garbage. Don't join them.
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-04-23 00:16:32  
My two cents to the OP:

*NOT* Required.

GEO retains the bulk of its functionality without it. Having it is moreso a Luxury. Will it make or break your run? If your run's success hinged on an Idris, it was failed to begin with imho.

Luxury, like RDM in a lot of situations; Awesome to have but not Vital.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-23 00:35:50  
Basically to summarize, we as a player base are becoming spoiled with quick kills. This leads us to expect all Geos, who associate themselves with us, to be of a certain gear requirement. In most cases, the gear is not needed and is simply a boon in the situation. This causes certain players to be exiled as we have come to expected the impossible from returning players. In short, please think about if you really need an Idris Geo for most content you do; ty.

I don't even really know what kind of answer you want to hear, so here are just some perspectives as to why "Idris Only" tends to happen

1) REMA is generally used as a litmus test to find good players in PUGs. It's a Bayesian approach: somebody is more likely to be good at a certain job given that they have a REMA for that job. As somebody mentioned above, there are surely SOME Solstice GEOs better than some Idris GEOs, but checking for an Idris is just the most reliable way to see someone's commitment to the job.

2) Strictly speaking you don't need an Idris for most content in the game, but what everyone seems to ignore is how Idris (and REMAs as a whole) widen the permissible error margin. Not every group is optimized and people make mistakes. To reiterate. People make mistakes. When you "overprepare" for a fight by having Idris GEOs, Nirvana SMNs, etc., you are essentially making the run safer by allowing for more mistakes to happen in a run. As a simple example --- If a DD accidentally forgets to put on their DT set right before a huge TP move, an Idris DEF bubble will reduce the amount of damage taken and has the chance to actually prevent the DD from dying. This is huge. Furthermore, killing bosses faster drastically reduces the chance of a wipe, which is why REMAs for DDs are so desirable.

Not all fights are 100% wins, but having REMAs in your party can push the success rate of a fight by increasing the setup's error tolerance.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-23 00:47:07  
Sylph.Reain said: »
I don't think its about kill speed. I think players just want to win and generally gravitate towards the path of least resistance.

Going from Dunna to Idris is a much more potent boost than going from an all songs+3 Linos to Gjallarhorn.

I don't actually think its about a Dunna GEO vs current content. It's about Dunna GEO vs other GEOs with Idris.

Also, this
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-23 00:47:51  
Common mistake thinking that someone with a REMA is more likely to be better than someone with out.

I promise you there are more shitty players with Aeonics, than good players. ThanksNirvana

A solid 90% of mythic users are -straight- garbage.

Relic wielders (used) to be a sign of a good player, up till rhapsodies.

Having a glow empyrean is basically your only "most likely" good player.

idris and epeo just mean they had the drive to accomplish the most menial task in the game.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-23 00:51:18  
Common mistake thinking that someone with a REMA is more likely to be better than someone with out.

I promise you there are more shitty players with Aeonics, than good players. ThanksNirvana

A solid 90% of mythic users are -straight- garbage.

Relic wielders (used) to be a sign of a good player, up till rhapsodies.

Having a glow empyrean is basically your only "most likely" good player.

idris and epeo just mean they had the drive to accomplish the most menial task in the game.

This feels like you're being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-23 00:53:55  
Just tired of people thinking "having this dumbfuck item" makes you good.

Good is good. Bad is bad. Can good use bad, and bad have good? Yes.

If you can engage, equip relevant acc, turn/use dt, accurately press control1, you're in the top 1%. Shiney weapons are irrelevant.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-04-23 00:56:18  
@OP : Have you tried making your own party set-up? I'm a bard. Top tier bard has mythic, relic, and empy harp. I have ghorn and terp, so im referred to as a Ghorn +3. For a while i had no access to any of the AA fights. So I made my own setups and started to /yell and sure enough I got all my gears. Same thing with Einherjar, Dynamis, and random bcnm bs. I couldn't farm currency on bard so I lvld bst and unlocked dnc, and that's how I farmed up a Ghorn and a Ragnarok. I understand that you're a returning player, but you have to understand, if you don't move you're F'd. You need to find a way to come up and overcome the bs. I have to figure out how to get my war, who's Ragnarok is still 75 with no access to omen. Quick kills are needed when you have to do the same run 7 times in a row. I can't CP pt as a bard because I'm replaced by a Geo, I deal with it by just killing Mandy outside adoulin. You need to move man; the entire server is not going to change. Move with the river not against it man cause the current if gnarly.

I'm not actually referring to myself, but more my observations :). I'm personally an Idris Geo, Epeo Run, and multiple Aeonics. I had a similar issue starting out actually. I maimed Drg and couldn't get into content so I had to form all my parties haha.

Involving Brd, I am wondering how you couldn't find parties. Was this back when MB Apex was dominate? I ask because in today's CP Apex parties I find: DD, DD (or tank), Brd, Cor, Cor or Geo, Healer. - Is awesome.
I just returned from a year and half hiatus. On Asura at least I've been noticing a shift from BRD to Geo. I cp pt less than I used to since I returned, I see maybe a few shouts for bed, but mostly for a Geo.

Try forming a party as Brd sometime. Do it with the set up: 2 2H DD (Ws/TP set), Whm (Empy pants), Brd (3song), Cor (Cor ring).

1 Cor does Samurai/Corsairs.
1 Cor does Chaos/Fighters.
Whm does: Cure > Boost (Primary ws stat of party)
Brd does 1hr for 4 song: 2x haste songs 2x attack songs. MP songs for mages.
2x DD both each individually kill their own mobs. (This is why you want War, Sam, Drk, or Drg). The best camps we've found are Bat Cave or the Bat/Crab cave in Dho Gates. [Apex mobs]

This should help^ :)
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-23 00:58:48  
Just tired of people thinking "having this dumbfuck item" makes you good.

Good is good. Bad is bad. Can good use bad, and bad have good? Yes.

Nobody is saying that

Literally nobody is saying that

What we're saying is

If you take 1000 Idris GEOs and 1000 non-Idris GEOs, the average benefit of the players in the first group will be higher than that of the second group. It's a matter of averages, not random samples.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-23 01:02:45  
That's how its supposed to be. Not how random guy shouting thinks it is.

need to as a whole, get over this "specific item requirement" ***.

You know the ironic part? *most of the time if you just shout "DD" the dd will have a REMA. If you shout REMA DD you're going to get the laziest *** with a shiney.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-04-23 01:09:22  

You know the ironic part? almost 100% of the time if you just shout "DD" the dd will have a REMA. If you shout REMA DD you're going to get the laziest *** with a shiney.

I don't know if it's actually like this on Asura, but it sure as hell isn't like this on Phoenix

that doesn't even make sense to me

at any rate, conditional probability is a useful tool, but a consequence of it is that you often get false negatives. The reason it's used frequently here is because it gives you fewer false positives, and that usually is a worthwhile tradeoff.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-23 01:15:55  
The month we had the dullahan, I actually shouted as lead. I only shouted dd every time.

100% of the people that joined, freely came with REMA. Didn't ask. Didn't make them change to a "better" job. They just knew to come on the most efficient thing without having to ask for it.

That month I did over 2 million hallmarks.

It could've been they knew who I was, and "lesser players" wouldn't even bother. I can't say though.