Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts - FEMA And You!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts - FEMA and You!
Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts - FEMA and You!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-29 15:34:12  
So we can prevent this from spilling into other, non P&R threads, I think this would be a great place to put people's tirades in.

Yes, 20 Texas Congressmen and women voted against the Hurricane Katrina relief bill, and mainly did so because the bill contained appropriation riders to areas other than those affected by that hurricane.

For Texas congressmen/women to ask for funding for Harvey doesn't make them hypocrites. Unless they, and very specifically, request funding for road and bridge projects in Kansas, or building a federal office building in NYC, or issuing grants to Berkeley, or other non-emergency funding riders and vote yes on the bill. Then, and only then, does that make them hypocrites.

So, if you want to decry the government response and action, go for it here. Don't ***up other sections like the referred above post.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-29 15:39:00  
Also, let's at least try not to devolve this into namecalling. At least, not until page 9.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-29 16:59:07  

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-30 18:12:28  
I am surprised that you believe anything Cruz says. You have fulminated against him in the past.

Ted Cruz’s claim that two-thirds of the Hurricane Sandy bill ‘had nothing to do with Sandy’

WaPo fact check (and there are other fact check articles out there.)

The cut to the chase part:
Quote:
So was the $50 billion bill filled with pork — two-thirds of which was unrelated to Sandy?

No.

The Congressional Research Service issued a comprehensive report on the provisions, and it’s clear that virtually all of it was related to the damage caused by Sandy. There may have been some pork in an earlier Senate version, but many of those items were removed before final passage. There were also some items that appear to have been misunderstood.

Ryan, for instance, referred in a statement to “non-Sandy expenses,” such as “sand dunes at the Kennedy Space Center, highway repairs in the Virgin Islands, and roof repairs in Washington, D.C.” But Sandy was a storm that stretched far beyond New Jersey and New York as it raced up from the Caribbean.

The Smithsonian Institution suffered roof leaks from heavy winds and torrential rain, resulting in a $2 million request. The shoreline near Launch Pads 39A and B at the Kennedy Space Center also suffered major erosion, leaving the ocean less than a quarter-mile away, so $15 million was added to deal with that problem and repair a NASA facility on Wallops Island in Virginia that also was damaged by Sandy. We couldn’t find a line-item for Virgin Islands highway funding, so it appears to have been relatively minor.

The bill did wrap in some other 2012 disaster funding, including disasters that had been declared over Alaska Chinook salmon, New England groundfish, Mississippi fisheries and American Samoa bottomfish. Those are the fisheries that the Cornyn spokesman referenced — but they were disaster declarations. So one would think it would make sense to include relief in a disaster bill.

Some lawmakers complained about $100 million in funding for Head Start, but that was limited to facilities that had been damaged in New Jersey and New York.

This being Congress, one of course can find some eyebrow-raising provisions. In particular, there was $16 billion for the account that funds Community Development Block Grants, which were aimed at Sandy relief but also could be used for eligible disaster events in calendar years 2011, 2012 and 2013. So the main focus was Sandy, but the money could be moved to assist other disaster relief efforts over a three-year period.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-30 18:27:00  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
WaPo fact check
Sorry, but we don't accept facts I don't like here.

Plus, WaPo doesn't have a fact checker, they have partisan spinsters.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-30 19:13:08  

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I am surprised that you believe anything Cruz says. You have fulminated against him in the past.

Ted Cruz’s claim that two-thirds of the Hurricane Sandy bill ‘had nothing to do with Sandy’

WaPo fact check (and there are other fact check articles out there.)
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-08-30 19:55:54  
Everything I don't like is facts I don't like.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-30 20:48:08  
https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-harvey-texas-visit

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/30/gop-eyeing-1-billion-disaster-funds-cut-to-help-wall.html
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-31 14:58:52  
Seriously King, I hope its dry where you are, and if it isn't I hope it drys out fast.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-31 15:06:06  
I don't think they released numbers yet.

My area got 25 inches.

Best map I could find:

I'm a little bit southeast from Seguin, just beyond the first white border.

(don't nuke me Josi/Canada)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-08-31 15:10:52  
National Weather Service said Seguin got 12 inches, but the county got between 8 to 30 inches depending on where you live.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-09-09 21:00:08  
First responders sue Arkema for $1 million following explosions at Crosby plant
Huston Chronicle

Only 1?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-09-09 22:48:32  
That's the second time you misspelled Houston.

There's 2 "o"s there Chanti. I know you are from Washington State, but that doesn't give you an excuse to not try to spell....
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-09-10 09:08:36  
I never could spell. And their web banner is simply "The Chron" so no reference there.

I will try to remember.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-09-10 09:49:23  
It spells Houston in the first paragraph.

The first one.

Seriously Chanti, read your sources before you post them!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-09-10 19:10:38  
Your Right Not to Know About that Exploding Chemical Plant Near Houston
Texas lets companies keep chemical inventories secret, even when their plants become dangerous enough to evacuate the surrounding neighborhood.

The Texas Observer
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-09-10 20:16:17  
A) Finally learned how to spell (or did you just copy/paste the title?)!
B) Who cares? It's a chemical plant. It doesn't matter as long as they use those chemicals for their intended purpose.

You might have a point if it's a bakery using those chemicals. But when you have a plant convert fossil fuels to various products. it's pretty obvious you are going to have dangerous and lethal chemicals around.

Chanti, you are making a mountain out of a shitpile.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-09-11 09:25:33  
I'm not King. Texas media is.

And they agree its a shitpile.