New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » First DD job, wanna do it right
First DD job, wanna do it right
 Sylph.Alecredion
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Alecredion 2009-09-17 18:24:26  
Ok so first of all, I just want to say that I'm 90% sure that I will never merit with my drk since I have brd and rdm to do that with, but I still wanna get the full potential out of my Drk for events and the like, including meriting from time to time. So im gonna throw myself into the flames and ask for help on refining my gear. I mainly want to use it for dynamis/limbus/einherjar etc, where dds en mass can do as much damage as possible per say.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=106550 is my ws set

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=106556 is my tp set

If there are any pieces that you think i should add please let me know; I'm still debating weather to change my tamas to rajas and I'm still trying to find a Hauberk +1 for less then 2.5M because I still don't think its worth it XD. PLEASE ASSIST!
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-09-17 18:36:27  
First off, do NOT use homam head on drk for any reason, EVER. Use turban to tp

Toss tamas, get rajas, buy an aqua/snow ring and be done with it. Virtually nothing you can do gear wise comes anywhere close to upgrading from a 7 hit to a 6 hit.

Looks pretty decent for a first time melee though. Oh and WS wise, get sea gorget, VERY worth it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-17 18:45:05  
Not bad for your first melee job.

WS: More Hecatomb. Head, hands, and feet. Chaos +1 is not bad by any means though. Make sure you have enough ACC to cap when possible. Get your Sea gorgets.

TP: Ditch the Homam Zucchetto. Now. Use Walahra Turban instead. If you're going to ever be /SAM get a 6-hit, otherwise you can get a 7-hit without relying on /SAM. You have a true non-/SAM 7-hit with Rose Strap, Brutal, and Chiv Chain; only need to land two hits of your WS including the first to maintain 6-hit should you ever replace the Chiv Chain. Should you get Rajas, Rajas and Brutal make a true 7-hit.
 Sylph.Alecredion
By Sylph.Alecredion 2009-09-17 19:02:39  
XD I didnt think the Zuchetto was such a bad choice, only reason i was using it was for the +3 acc if I merit on birds, but otherwise yeah ill use the walmart head. and the reason im using +1 over heca. is because the body is the only piece i know is truely better then the hauberk/+1, I'm still working on the Heca though, and for the sea gourget, i just need the youvra organ, since i have plenty of the other organs from obi farming.

As for the Rajas ring, I will have to wait untill my Drk is actually 75 because my tamas is being used by my rdm blm smn brd(nyzul)

on a side note though, wouldn't I almost always be /nin in meriting or would it still be /sam since I still get seigan/3rd eye
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-09-17 19:11:32  
Zuchetto is the worst option and should never be used. 3 acc will never give you better results than 2 haste.

I'd and do use berk+1 over heca for gulli/insurg simply for more acc/att. Heca best for Spinning Slash

Keep the af+1 hands, heca feet are ^^ though.

/Sam is better than /nin if your not a retard. just play smart when /sam and you won't be an mp sink + you'll crush /nin badly.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-17 19:20:15  
Alecredion said:
XD I didnt think the Zuchetto was such a bad choice, only reason i was using it was for the +3 acc if I merit on birds, but otherwise yeah ill use the walmart head.

um, no lol

Once you get full Scythe merits, you'll have ~393 Accuracy in that set including Perdu latent. Actual number varies with racial stats, I use Hume's DEX score. That's 8 below capped on 81 birds and 14 below cap on level 82. Hasso not included, which would do the trick nicely. With no outside Haste, your Accuracy would need to be around 82% for Homam's 4 Accuracy to pull ahead of 2% Haste. With Hasso, below 73%. With Haste and double March... something like 50% accuracy. Homam Zucchetto sucks.

Quote:
on a side note though, wouldn't I almost always be /nin in meriting or would it still be /sam since I still get seigan/3rd eye

If your healer and /WHM support aren't complete ***you should be /SAM, provided you know when to use Hasso vs Seigan.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-17 19:25:31  
Get askar head > homam head lol, but Turban > both.

Very nice for first DD job I will agree, and as Night said, aim for a lower hit build (6 or 7 w/e it may be).
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-17 19:27:53  
Rumaha said:
Turban > both.

Turban is only better than Askar Zucchetto if you absolutely NEED that 1% of Haste.

If not, the only thing better than Askar head is Ace's Helm, which is only a slight improvement over Askar.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-17 19:30:44  
Enternius said:
Rumaha said:
Turban > both.

Turban is only better than Askar Zucchetto if you absolutely NEED that 1% of Haste.

If not, the only thing better than Askar head is Ace's Helm, which is only a slight improvement over Askar.

Actually, it's the other way around, because more haste is strait more dmg, the Askar only wins when you NEED that slight acc boost unless you are capped haste of course, you NEED haste. over like 90% acc, adding ~2% does ***compared to 1% haste. Ace's completely destroys Askar, its not really "slight".
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-17 19:32:35  
If I could I'd kill to wear askar on thf...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-17 19:32:50  
Math was done a while back to evaluate when exactly Askar was better than the Turban. It's an equation rather than a simple number (duh), but as a general rule anytime you're below 30% Haste and your ACC is around 85% or below, Askar will be better. Ace's > Turban anytime your ACC is uncapped, Turban > Ace's whenever ACC is capped.

Ace's >>> Askar, 2% hitrate difference is a lot bigger than the "small" differences you can find in FFXI.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-17 19:35:44  
Nightfyre said:
Math was done a while back to evaluate when exactly Askar was better than the Turban. It's an equation rather than a simple number (duh), but as a general rule anytime you're below 30% Haste and your ACC is around 85% or below, Askar will be better. Ace's > Turban anytime your ACC is uncapped, Turban > Ace's whenever ACC is capped.

Ace's >>> Askar, 2% hitrate 1% Haste difference is a lot bigger than the "small" differences you can find in FFXI.

That's what I was trying to say, just wasn't sure what % was.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-17 19:37:48  
Amount of double attack and triple attack would effect it too. Not to mention the increase in crit hit from the dex and slight dmg increase from the str.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-17 19:39:47  
Dasva said:
Amount of double attack and triple attack would effect it too. Not to mention the increase in crit hit from the dex and slight dmg increase from the str.

4 dex may or may not break a crit tier, same with str and fSTR(But that probably does). DA and TA lose value as you stack more.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-17 19:43:00  
Dasva said:

The STR was accounted for, simple fSTR+1 attack +2. DEX impact on crit is much harder to account for given dDEX is not constant slope. It would change the results at very high dDEX but good luck getting that on anything above merit mobs anyway, and you'd have high/capped ACC and high Haste in that situation, Turban wins anyway. DA and TA would have some small effect, but not much and WTF is a DRK doing in Homam Corazza anyway? Hell even Algol isn't so hot anymore, get a Naglering.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-17 19:44:36  
Well duh just saying it affects the choice between haste hats...
 Ramuh.Kyamiiux
user: Kyamiiux
By Ramuh.Kyamiiux 2009-09-17 19:53:31  
Get an Ace's helm if you're going to wear homam head.
[+]
 Sylph.Alecredion
By Sylph.Alecredion 2009-09-17 21:53:26  
alright well after being told my place on and off game ill scrach off the homam head, and use walmart untill i get my askar. I also bought my hauberk+1.....and im talking to a few ppl to see if i can get some signed rings to trade my tamas to rajas. On another note I've seen a few drks in Askar bodies and was wondering if I should even bother or not, I have one but I'm not sure about it. Sorry for all the annoying questions, I just want to get an understanding of the job
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-17 22:00:35  
Alecredion said:
On another note I've seen a few drks in Askar bodies and was wondering if I should even bother or not, I have one but I'm not sure about it.

No. DRG onry, though if your accuracy is capped anyway it's not a bad piece. As a general rule, stick to that Haubert +1.

As for Askar Zucchetto... unless you're solo or not getting Haste/March and your ACC isn't capped, just use the Turban. You said Dynamis/Limbus/Einherjhar... You may or may not be getting Haste in these events, but with Pizza +1 you're probably going to cap ACC on 99% of what you're fighting on DRK. Turban wins.