Random Politics & Religion #14

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 99 100 101
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-22 09:05:51  
Is anyone expecting a room full of neo nazis to cheer hail Clinton or hail obama?

I mean they really can't it doesn't fit the whole movement, so why is this so surprising?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-22 09:06:51  
eliroo said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Side note: Just got to the minimum wage section in Bernie's book and it has really got me thinking and changed my perspective on the matter.
What's his argument?

This sums a good bit of it:

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

Essentially raising the minimum wage will put more money into peoples pockets. They will have money to spend on non life-essential things and therefore stimulate the economy as they will being buying more expensive food, clothes, toys and other things. Furthermore, it will bring less families out of poverty meaning less money will need to go to Welfare among other government facilities that the homeless and poor use.
That DOL website "mythbusters" is either badly worded or purposefully worded to make the reader jump to conclusions.

Here's a few examples:

Quote:
Myth: Raising the minimum wage will only benefit teens.

Not true: The typical minimum wage worker is not a high school student earning weekend pocket money. In fact, 89 percent of those who would benefit from a federal minimum wage increase to $12 per hour are age 20 or older, and 56 percent are women.

The problem with this statement is, is that it doesn't say how much of that "89%" figure is true, current minimum wage or is between MW +$.01 to $12, meaning above minimum wage (by state, since states have different minimum wage rates). The DOL has the real numbers, they could have easily published how many teens are paid actual minimum wage and how many non-teens (people 20+) are paid actual minimum wage. Why do you think they didn't publish that?

Quote:
Myth: Increasing the minimum wage will cause people to lose their jobs.

Not true: In a letter to President Obama and congressional leaders urging a minimum wage increase, more than 600 economists, including 7 Nobel Prize winners wrote, "In recent years there have been important developments in the academic literature on the effect of increases in the minimum wage on employment, with the weight of evidence now showing that increases in the minimum wage have had little or no negative effect on the employment of minimum-wage workers, even during times of weakness in the labor market. Research suggests that a minimum-wage increase could have a small stimulative effect on the economy as low-wage workers spend their additional earnings, raising demand and job growth, and providing some help on the jobs front."

That "not true" didn't even answer the myth. The letter only talks about the positives of nominal wage increases. It doesn't talk about the negatives of the increases, which is what the "myth" was addressing. It also doesn't even come close to talking about "real" wage increases, which any economist worth their salt would know would be the actual benefits given to the workers and what they really need. When economists talk about wage deflation, they are talking about real wage deflation, not nominal.

Quote:
Myth: Small business owners can't afford to pay their workers more, and therefore don't support an increase in the minimum wage.

Not true: A July 2015 survey found that 3 out of 5 small business owners with employees support a gradual increase in the minimum wage to $12. The survey reports that small business owners say an increase "would immediately put more money in the pocket of low-wage workers who will then spend the money on things like housing, food, and gas. This boost in demand for goods and services will help stimulate the economy and help create opportunities."

Again, their answer isn't even addressing the "myth" at all. A survey doesn't answer the real issue, which is if small businesses can afford it or not. Especially since a lot of small businesses run very thin margin lines that can destroy any price shocks associated with their margin lines, such as labor cost increases.

Quote:
Myth: Raising the federal tipped minimum wage ($2.13 per hour since 1991) would hurt restaurants.

Not true: In California, employers are required to pay servers the full minimum wage of $9 per hour — before tips. Even with a 2014 increase in the minimum wage, the National Restaurant Association projects California restaurant sales will outpace all but only a handful of states in 2015.

Myth: Raising the federal tipped minimum wage ($2.13 per hour since 1991) would lead to restaurant job losses.

Not true: As of May 2015, employers in San Francisco must pay tipped workers the full minimum wage of $12.25 per hour — before tips. Yet, the San Francisco leisure and hospitality industry, which includes full-service restaurants, has experienced positive job growth this year, including following the most recent minimum wage increase.

Oh look, they are talking about 2 states that don't have the federal tipped minimum wage rates when they try to dispel the "myth" of federal tipped minimum wage rates. Talk about a strawman argument.

Quote:
Myth: Raising the federal minimum wage won't benefit workers in states where the hourly minimum rate is already higher than the federal minimum.

Not true: While 29 states and the District of Columbia currently have a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum, increasing the federal minimum wage will boost the earnings for nearly 38 million low-wage workers nationwide. That includes workers in those states already earning above the current federal minimum. Raising the federal minimum wage is an important part of strengthening the economy. A raise for minimum wage earners will put more money in more families' pockets, which will be spent on goods and services, stimulating economic growth locally and nationally.

Again, nominal, not real. Which is the arguments presented against minimum wage increases.

Quote:
Myth: Increasing the minimum wage is bad for businesses.

Not true: Academic research has shown that higher wages sharply reduce employee turnover which can reduce employment and training costs.

What the DOL "forgets" to say is that those wage increases for retention purposes are what keeps people staying in that business, not mandatory, across-the-board, wage increases. They are jumping to conclusions based on retention studies that research retention in the workplace. Voluntary wage increases increases retention, not mandatory.

Quote:
Myth: Increasing the minimum wage is bad for the economy.

Not true: Since 1938, the federal minimum wage has been increased 22 times. For more than 75 years, real GDP per capita has steadily increased, even when the minimum wage has been raised.

Even their response shows that raising minimum wage is not a primary factor in the rise of real GDP. There are multiple factors when it comes to the rise of real GDP, but most economists won't attribute minimum wage increases as a factor, because it only effects nominal increases, not real. Again, the DOL is using 2 different situations and hoping the reader ties them together for them.

There are several other things I can point out, but I think I got my point across by now. The DOL is being very dishonest in their responses to these "myths."
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:07:09  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
stems from Trump's loose mouth and worse

It stems from eight years of being vilified and brow beaten by obama and his "you didn't build that while clinging to your guns and bibles" it's a backlash against his divisive, derisive rhetoric.

This is obama's whirlwind, trump is just the reaper.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:07:14  
I think one of the sadder things about the Nazi party and Hitler is that they actually had some good and positive ideas built into their message but there is so much negativity around their party that repeating any of those ideas makes a person a Nazi and an antisemitic.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-22 09:09:16  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Lmao yeah Saevel never called anyone a nazi! But everyone who disagrees with him happens to be labeled as a soviet!

It's funnier when you know that the Soviets and Fascists were mortal and ideological enemies.
They have more ideologically in common than you think. I'm not surprised that you're ignorant of this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-22 09:09:45  
Good things Hitler did?

Well, he declared war on the US after the US declared war on Japan (and only Japan) following the attack of Pearl Harbor. Because of that, the US could essentially fight on the European Front instead of only the Pacific Front.

Which lead to his downfall, but hey!
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:11:01  
I thought you were being cheeky.

I was being an ***...

I'm evil and wrong. I'm the villain of the twenty first century.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:14:37  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Lmao yeah Saevel never called anyone a nazi! But everyone who disagrees with him happens to be labeled as a soviet!

It's funnier when you know that the Soviets and Fascists were mortal and ideological enemies.
They have more ideologically in common than you think. I'm not surprised that you're ignorant of this.

Much like the alt right manosphere and the extreme left trigger-warning/safe space/fat feminist population has more in common than you think. Much like the presumably-conservative white rural poor and the presumably-liberal black urban poor have more in common than they seem to think or want to acknowledge.

Which is why I'm try, really trying, to be more even-tempered and considerate when approaching things and consider people's points of view, though with admitted snark visible on this page, I'm clearly still having failings.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:14:55  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I thought you were being cheeky.

I was being an ***...

I'm evil and wrong. I'm the villain of the twenty first century.

You're not the villain we need, but you're the villain we deserve right now!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-22 09:18:18  
stems from Trump's loose mouth and worse

It stems from eight years of being vilified and brow beaten by obama and his "you didn't build that while clinging to your guns and bibles" it's a backlash against his divisive, derisive rhetoric.

This is obama's whirlwind, trump is just the reaper.

You do realize if Trump screws up you guys will have a lifetime of unrelented condescending reminders that you cut your nose to spite your face?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:20:50  
You do realize if Trump screws up you guys will have a lifetime of unrelented condescending reminders that you cut your nose to spite your face?

we do it all the time... what are the real odds we won't totally screw it all up?

the last time we controlled the congress and the white house the depression happened.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:21:02  

To be fair, they were probably going to get that anyhow whether it was factual or not, so at least some of them figured why not do it anyhow and get the benefit of the spite at least.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-22 09:24:26  
the last time we controlled the congress and the white house the depression happened.
The encouraging words that everyone needs!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:26:32  

I wasn't there but I hear it wasn't a whole lot of fun...

Depression Two, Electric Boogaloo... this time it's global!!!
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-22 09:27:53  

There are several other things I can point out, but I think I got my point across by now. The DOL is being very dishonest in their responses to these "myths."

Are you sure they are being "dishonest" or are they simply representing facts that go against your opinion? This is the Department of Labor we are talking about which assuredly has a bit more credibility than the "Department of Kingnobody".

Remember that big money companies directly benefit from lower wages and the US government pays for those low wages through welfare and other things, it wouldn't be absurd to hear that the Koch brothers or the Waltons are pushing for non-minimum wage laws.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-22 09:27:56  

Yeah one believes in a stateless and classless society and the other believes society should worship the state with mandated nationalism with a class structure that reflects corporate hierarchy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-22 09:28:01  

Except it was global.

You may be an old fart, but just because you lived for some of it, doesn't mean you can ignore it. Read your history man!
By eliroo 2016-11-22 09:29:44  

we do it all the time... what are the real odds we won't totally screw it all up?

Most economist attribute that recession to Bill Clintons deregulation of Wall Street though so that hardly constitutes as a republican issue. Obama also received a lot of praise about getting us out of depression when some of the reasons we were was because of Bush.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-22 09:29:53  
assuredly has a bit more credibility than the "Department of Kingnobody"
*dies*
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-22 09:30:26  

I heard it was depressing.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:32:04  
The real problem that we'll run up against first is that we'll give tax breaks to corporations, but because government regulation/stipulations are bad we won't make it contingent on re-investing it into our economy.

and what do you think a bunch of suddenly rich jackoffs are going to do with the sudden windfall?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:32:41  
"Department of Kingnobody".

I don't think I approved creation of that cabinet position. Please get on confirming the appointments of Mr. Bozzio and Phantom Zappa.

The Department of *** Censorship Right in the Hoo-Ha cannot go leaderless for long without grave consequences.

Seriously, I think I saw Tipper Gore around. ***' HURRY UP.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:33:33  
and what do you think a bunch of suddenly rich jackoffs are going to do with the sudden windfall?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-22 09:34:38  
Except it was global.

we expanded into a lot more markets though so...
This time it will be even globalyier!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-22 09:34:49  
Ramyrez said: »

Much like the alt right manosphere and the extreme left trigger-warning/safe space/fat feminist population has more in common than you think. Much like the presumably-conservative white rural poor and the presumably-liberal black urban poor have more in common than they seem to think or want to acknowledge.

Which is why I'm try, really trying, to be more even-tempered and considerate when approaching things and consider people's points of view, though with admitted snark visible on this page, I'm clearly still having failings.

How do you rationalize hat the alt right is full of white supremacists yet is supposedly lead by someone lile milo a Jewish gay male who loves BBC?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:36:01  
How do you rationalize hat the alt right is full of white supremacists yet is supposedly lead by someone lile milo a Jewish gay male who loves BBC?

Did...did...

Did you read what I wrote or just see that I typed "alt-right manosphere" and assume I went "RACIST NAZI RACIST NAZI RACIST NAZI COCKOCKRACY!?
By fonewear 2016-11-22 09:36:29  
The real problem that we'll run up against first is that we'll give tax breaks to corporations, but because government regulation/stipulations are bad we won't make it contingent on re-investing it into our economy.

Build golden apartments:

Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-11-22 09:36:36  

where can I read about that thing?
By eliroo 2016-11-22 09:36:54  

The problem is that both parties are failing to distinguish the fact that there are a two groups of Alt-right, one which is far less scarier and radical than the other. Maybe we should call one group the Alt-Right and the other group the ctrl-alt-right or something.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-22 09:37:10  
Except it was global.

we expanded into a lot more markets though so...
This time it will be even globalyier!

Appointed for Secretary of Trumpisms.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 99 100 101