Random Politics & Religion #14

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 99 100 101
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 10:40:45  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I have been conditioned to believe that racist = white person, or racist = conservative, or racist = anyone who lives in a rural area. You'll have to specify which type of racist you're referring to

Which...you're being facetious, but there are so many bloody people that 1) actually do think those things or 2) think that anyone using the term thinks those things that it's getting hard to even have a discussion on the topic because people of group #2 think that everyone talking about then is from group #1.

TL;DR: The lizard men can't overthrow humans fast enough.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 10:44:23  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't understand this attitude.
Just cause some generic person or entity used it incorrectly it's not like racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc stopped existing. Don't get so hung up on something episodic when you're dealing with a problem that should not be condoned by anyone.

Sure, those things all exist. It's just hard to have a discussion about it when there is no differentiation in definition from someone who is a legitimate racist, xenophobe, homophobe, etc. and someone who is perceived as exhibiting such tendencies because they hold views that are automatically grouped together with more extreme ones in a weak attempt to discredit them. Until that is resolved, "bigot" is hardly anything more than a neo-Godwin.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-18 10:59:26  
I don't understand this attitude.
Just cause some generic person or entity used it incorrectly it's not like racism, xenophobia, homophobia, etc stopped existing. Don't get so hung up on something episodic when you're dealing with a problem that should not be condoned by anyone.

We just can't simply dismiss their arguments because we find that they are racist, xenophobic or homophobic. If you really want to stop those things then you need to stop calling them bigots and start understand where they are coming from. Someone who you think is racist, may not actually be racist but may have just said or implied things that you think are racists.

Even then understanding their racism in this case will do much to alleviate it. If you just call them a bigot and shut them out you will do nothing but solidify their opinion if not make it worse.

Bigot has been used terrible and has been very dismissive in the past year, it is nothing but an excuse to gain leverage in an argument that you can't feasibly win. Its context has been nothing but bigotry itself by writing off another opinion without plausible merit.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 11:04:46  
I dunno, I understand what you mean by legitimate racism, but I think the greater issue I have is conflating something largely insignificant with something outrightly horrific.

For instance pausing for a bit too long looking at a black guy in a hoodie is as bad as wanting slavery reinsituted. Gonna be called racist either way.

Meanwhile using white people as the perpetual whipping post for all social ills is well deserved and not at all racist.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-18 11:06:15  
eliroo said: »
start understand where they are coming from
Poor education, lack/wrong kind of exposure to the world outside their bubble, or sometimes low intelligence(or maybe that's often, but I wanna be optimistic about the average human).
But people are usually stubborn in their beliefs, especially when they are linked to emotions(in this case could be hate or fear), so reason will have a hard time making its way through, definetely not from a stranger at least. Sometimes people who are close can have that leverage, but there are also cases of family feuds for these things(cue Lilli's situation if you have read him talking about it).

Also, when someone does something wrong they also have to understand that it is not acceptable. Things should be called with their name and if someone says "black people are inferior to white"(banal example) they have to be told that it's racist.
By eliroo 2016-11-18 11:13:18  
Well in other non-bigotted news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-attorney-general.html

My hope is quickly dwindling. I don't know why I got it up in the first place.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-18 11:14:09  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Fake and uncredited news should be censored, but not opinionated pieces.
No, they shouldn't be.

Who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

Journalists should do research (do their jobs) and consumers should also do research (due diligence).

Lack or credit or sources?

Do you really think society can function in an uncensored world? You severely underestimate the power and cruelty of man.
There are legal precedents in place to protect news organizations and journalists in the US for a reason.

Answer my question: who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

The national enquirer is a sensational organization but they still get it correct sometimes, when other agencies are not looking for the story.

For the past few years (decade~) there has been a lot of talk on both sides about censoring journalists or deciding who is a journalist and who isn't. Are bloggers who report and investigate stories irrelevant? Are major news organizations better because they have more funding or worse?

This is a major problem.

What I think is news and important may not be something that you think is news and important. So who is going to decide who is reporting the important stuff correctly, according to some random definition?

Satire is often confused for news. Should we get rid of satire news sites?

As to surviving in an uncensored world, I need you to expound on that because yes, we have survived and thrived in an uncensored world.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 11:16:36  

Them's fightin' words.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-18 11:16:52  
I don't know why I got it up in the first place.
Guys..guys!!!
I'm trying not to think naughty things here, but you don't help me!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 11:17:20  
yes, we have survived and thrived in an uncensored world.

As long as no boobs, genitals, or swears are featured on television.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 11:17:58  
Well in other non-bigotted news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-attorney-general.html

My hope is quickly dwindling. I don't know why I got it up in the first place.
What's wrong with sessions?

He's fully red pilled, and his MAGA levels are over 9000.

The media is just diving head first into the shallow end trying to set the forest on fire.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-18 11:20:08  
Ramyrez said: »
Very odd thing. Here in Italy during the 80s and part of the 90s you saw *** and butts in pretty much all tv programmes...now instead it's considered scandalous.

I say bring back boobies, butts and add in penises to the mix too!
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-18 11:22:31  
Fake and uncredited news should be censored, but not opinionated pieces.
No, they shouldn't be.

Who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

Journalists should do research (do their jobs) and consumers should also do research (due diligence).

Lack or credit or sources?

Do you really think society can function in an uncensored world? You severely underestimate the power and cruelty of man.
There are legal precedents in place to protect news organizations and journalists in the US for a reason.

Answer my question: who gets to decide what facts I don't like is?

The national enquirer is a sensational organization but they still get it correct sometimes, when other agencies are not looking for the story.

For the past few years (decade~) there has been a lot of talk on both sides about censoring journalists or deciding who is a journalist and who isn't. Are bloggers who report and investigate stories irrelevant? Are major news organizations better because they have more funding or worse?

This is a major problem.

What I think is news and important may not be something that you think is news and important. So who is going to decide who is reporting the important stuff correctly, according to some random definition?

As to surviving in an uncensored world, I need you to expound on that because yes, we have survived and thrived in an uncensored world.

Its pretty simple and something I find clear.

facts I don't like is news that is reported as True but as no source or credibility.

Satirical News and Talk shows can be listed differently and should be easy to differentiate from.

Probably more clear if I say that I think that news should be backed by sources rather than "censoring" news.
By eliroo 2016-11-18 11:23:04  
Very odd thing. Here in Italy during the 80s and part of the 90s you saw *** and butts in pretty much all tv programmes...now instead it's considered scandalous.

I say bring back boobies, butts and add in penises to the mix too!

Don't get too excited Seha.
By fonewear 2016-11-18 11:26:50  
If I thought Huff Post was satire I would say it's brilliant but I think those people there actually believe what they write...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 11:27:20  
Also, when someone does something wrong they also have to understand that it is not acceptable. Things should be called with their name and if someone says "black people are inferior to white"(banal example) they have to be told that it's racist.

Yes, that statement and others like it are racist. A vast majority of what I hear being called racist doesn't even come close to that. Disagreeing with Obama, thinking that Affirmative Action is flawed, voting for a white guy, being anti-globalist, promoting stronger national security, patriotism, handing out movie awards to a number of white people that does not exactly mirror national demographics -- these are the types of things that are being called racist. When you (proverbial) can't find a word to distinguish between a person with those views and a Grand Wizard, the word itself becomes a joke.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-18 11:30:00  
As a nihilist who am I to say what you do is right or wrong. I'm just here to watch the world burn !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 11:34:09  

Yes, that statement and others like it are racist. A vast majority of what I hear being called racist doesn't even come close to that. Disagreeing with Obama, thinking that Affirmative Action is flawed, voting for a white guy, being anti-globalist, promoting stronger national security, patriotism, handing out movie awards to a number of white people that does not exactly mirror national demographics -- these are the types of things that are being called racist. When you (proverbial) can't find a word to distinguish between a person with those views and a Grand Wizard, the word itself becomes a joke.

Devil's advocate/counterpoint: there are people who actually engage in racist talking points and act like they're not racist and fall into the lesser categories of issues-tied-to-race-but-not-racist, then lambast people who call them out on it as PC hyperliberals.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 11:34:32  
fonewear said: »
As a nihilist who am I to say what you do is right or wrong. I'm just here to watch the world burn !

My new mental image of you:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 11:34:50  
That is not say, you're not entirely wrong, but as always, the issue is decidedly not one-sided.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 11:35:06  
fonewear said: »

My new mental image of you:

New?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 11:43:48  
That is not say, you're not entirely wrong, but as always, the issue is decidedly not one-sided.

I'll give you points for being reasonable. The exceptions you made in your devil's advocate point don't warrant the current abuse of the term, but there are nuances in every argument worth pointing out.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-18 11:47:50  
On topic-ish?

Kanye West: 'I would have voted for Trump — if I voted'
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-18 12:09:14  

Its pretty simple and something I find clear.

facts I don't like is news that is reported as True but as no source or credibility.

Satirical News and Talk shows can be listed differently and should be easy to differentiate from.

Probably more clear if I say that I think that news should be backed by sources rather than "censoring" news.
I really have no idea where you are going with this then.

Censorship is not allowing something to occur. It is restricting an entity or person can say do, publish, etc.

Satirical news sites have been referenced as "real" news before. This has happened multiple times and especially on stupid April 1st.

Maybe you are unaware of how many journalists have been threatened or arrested for doing their jobs, reporting on newsworthy events. How bogus DCMA notices are sent out to pull stories off of google when a company, person, or politician doesn't like the content. How politicians discussed arresting reporters who reported on leaked classified information even though this has been protected for decades.

On top of this, the US is only one country in the world. How would you propose regulating what is news or what is opinion with the rest of the worlds journalists when the internet makes it easily available.

Then there is the fact that just because a story uses references or sources this does not automatically mean that this is a completely factual story. Look at almost any article written by journalists who have no understanding on how science/engineering/technology/medicine works and reports on a new study or device. Many get it terribly wrong or completely distort the study.

Or politicians who go on news shows, who are on the science committee, or the technology committee, and who speak as if they are on an expert on a subject that they know nothing about (e.g. cybersecurity, encryption, coding, etc).

Without censorship this is a self-correcting cycle.

Something is reported as fact. Other reporters look into it and someone finds out that is not true.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-18 12:09:28  
Sessions pick hits the wire and instantly the reaction is

Just embarrassing.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:21:02  
Or politicians who go on news shows, who are on the science committee, or the technology committee, and who speak as if they are on an expert on a subject that they know nothing about (e.g. cybersecurity, encryption, coding, etc).

Quote:
Without censorship this is a self-correcting cycle.

You say that but...
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-18 12:23:16  
Quote:
A British woman has been charged with having extra-marital sex in Dubai after reporting she was raped, according to a UK-based legal advice group.

The Detained in Dubai group said the woman was arrested after she claimed she was raped by two British men.

It said she has been released on bail but her passport has been confiscated.

The Foreign Office said: "We are supporting a British woman in relation to this case and will remain in contact with her family."

The woman, who is in her 20s, was reportedly attacked by two men from Birmingham while she was on holiday.

According to Detained in Dubai, the alleged attackers have had no charges filed against them.

However, according to newspaper reports, the two men have also had their passports confiscated.

It is understood that the Foreign Office is supporting the two men and is in contact with their families.

Detained in Dubai said the woman may face trial for the charges - for which possible punishments include imprisonment, deportation, flogging and even stoning to death.

Radha Stirling, founder and director of Detained in Dubai, said the UAE had a long history of penalising rape victims.

"We have been involved with several cases in the past where this has happened, and we work with the lawyers and families and have campaigned to change attitudes in the police and judiciary.

"Recent cases... show that it is still not safe for victims to report these crimes to the police without the risk of suffering a double punishment".
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-18 12:24:43  
This is not the first time I hear of something like this, is it old news or just stuff that happened exactly the same way as last time?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-11-18 12:26:37  
This happened a few days ago, same situation
By Ramyrez 2016-11-18 12:26:57  
This is not the first time I hear of something like this, is it old news or just stuff that happened exactly the same way as last time?

I think it's the latter, but I'm not 100% sure. Most of the time stories like this don't just randomly pop up again, but it was a British woman before too so I'm not sure.

Even if it is the same story, it still means Dubai is a backward shithole of justice.
First Page 2 3 ... 72 73 74 ... 99 100 101