users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Fresh 99 thief starting gear
Fresh 99 thief starting gear
 Valefor.Kiaru
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-16 12:09:32  
Hi, I have 117 espial gear and eminent dagger. I have access to nothing and have done zero new content so I don't really know anything besides what I've looked up.

What gear should I be working towards next? For example, pursuers set is what I was going to work towards next for my COR. Do I get https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Rawhide_Trousers? This set? Seems to be ok and a direct upgrade to Espial gear?

What is a good easy to access dagger so I have something to actually offhand? Do I just get an atoyac?
Or do I get https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Kupon_W-SCC and then use it for https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Leisilonu_%2B2 ? Does the kupon give you a +1 a +2 or an NQ? I think the wiki is saying it gives you a +2, that's insane if so. Can I actually duo these fights with trusts?

I don't want to get "carried" or anything through content, I'd rather to be able to progress properly through the game without needing to buy wins/get carried etc. I find that more fun and satisfying. That's why I'm curious what the proper progression path for gearing at 99 actually is.

I just need a helping hand to guide me in the correct direction. Thanks.
[+]
 Asura.Raitoken
サーバ: Asura
user: raitoken
By Asura.Raitoken 2016-10-16 12:45:24  
What I would do is work on getting you AF/Relic/Emp gear and upgrading it. It may not be best in slot anymore but its a huge improvement over your current gear. AF boots give 12% movement speed and the emp boots give +2 TH.

It shouldn't take much time to farm these things and if you need money go do dynamis and sell currency. Rems chapters are soloable but faster to farm in a group. That is where I would start.
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-16 13:16:43  
I have fajin boots and full emp/relic+2.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-16 13:30:11  
If you're using trusts, you'll want all your visible gear to be 119, even for JAs. Trusts will level down immediately if you swap to a lower level piece of armor, which can be problematic. The 119 18% boots are easy enough to get.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-16 16:58:55  
Rough grouping of content by difficulty that most people would agree with:
I can relate, as I was essentially in the same position as you when I started playing again. Here are the things I would suggest:
  • Stuff to do right away: If you have Bayld, grab a homestead dagger. No need to buy anything expensive on AH. Get as many support trusts as you can manage, like Ulmia (requires beating CoP) and Koru-Moru (RoE reward). Look over this list of RoE objectives if you haven't already and give them a shot. Sign up for a Unity as well; most people would recommend Apururu (WHM), Yoran-Oran (WHM), or Sylvie (GEO) simply for their trusts, but it's up to you, and you can switch weekly.

• Missions: Even the old ones have lasting rewards, like gear and unlocking trusts, but most significant would be the Adoulin and Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions (moreso the later). A large variety of gear, content, and other bonuses come from progressing through these, though some of the major fights in those two expansions won't be something you'll solo.

• Reforging AF/Relic/Empyrean Armor: Useful, but not required. Most of these pieces are pretty dated and some can be costly of gil to upgrade. To get the Rem's Tales (items used to upgrade), you'll need to either do some RoEs, spend Sparks, or do the Sacred Kindred Crest/Merit BCNMs. You'll have to clear Vagary to upgrade the Empyrean to 119, though, so that'll be a bit down the road.

• Wildskeeper Reive: Not something you'd want to solo just yet, but has some useful rewards, such as atoyac, Buremte gloves, and Uk'uxkaj cap. There's an event going on for this right now, so you'll likely be able to get on board with people spamming it (since it's like Campaign where everyone helps). The 115 gear can be augmented using the victory KIs. You may need to do some missions and stuff to unlock this though.

• Regular Skirmish: I would recommend only doing these once for the RoE completion, as the gear is pretty dated. Since you can use trusts, this shouldn't be too hard. Low investment as well, at least if you don't intend to max out the augments. You can also abuse these just to farm up some quick Bayld.

• Unity: You might not be ready to solo any yet, but at least get a look at the rewards, so you'll have a bit of focus. The fights themselves can be gimmicky, and very tricky for an uninitiated player, but don't be afraid to ask. Notable stuff for THF includes jugo kukri +1, emet harness, and jute boots +1

• Alluvion Skirmish: Harder than regular skirmish, but the gear here has some lasting use. You can potentially solo these, or at least do well enough to complete the RoE's for the gear. The stones you get as a reward can be used to augment the gear, but you might prefer to just sell them, as the gear is dated and mostly for niche purposes.

• Escha NMs: Might be out of your reach for now, but aside from the silt (Escha's version of Conquest Points, if you will) requirement, the cost to challenge a NM can be pretty inexpensive. The Rawhide gear you mentioned comes from here and is excellent for starters, particularly the body and hands. Like Unity, these NMs can be pretty tricky.

• Domain Invasion: These are fights against the CoP dragons, now in Escha in Campaign-esque free for alls. The rewards can be worthwhile, including some pieces of gear like sanctity necklace and some sellables. Not something many people can solo, though, so you'd want to go when lots of people are actually doing it.

• Group Content: Delve, Incursion, and Vagary are the only remaining events where you can't enter solo (minimum of 3). You'll inevitably need either friends, a LS, or a pickup group to get anything from these, including Vagary's unlocking of Empyrean 119 armor upgrades (THF's Empy set, however, is only so-so).

• Older Content: Mostly for niche rewards, or farming for money or Relic/Mythic/Empyrean weapons. KIs from Rhapsodies of Vana'diel will let you bypass most of the time restrictions as well, allowing you to farm freely.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but this covers it pretty well. If you have specific questions about gear, strategies, and other tips, lemme know.
[+]
 Valefor.Kiaru
By Valefor.Kiaru 2016-10-16 17:55:12  
Thanks so much jeanpaul! Never had someone write a guide for me.
[+]
By Verda 2016-10-16 20:56:49  
I'd like to add, when I came back I picked THF as first job to tackle too, and I went from sparks gear straight into yorcia alluvion skirmish I didn't even do reforges at first. It got me gil and gear at the same time. I followed Josiah's awesome video he put up around that time:
YouTube Video Placeholder

In it he shows how a THF can solo a few levels of skirmish. I messed around that way for a bit to figure it out and follow Josi's vid then started running regular shout groups. I picked up the rest from there. To be honest, this is still not a bad way to go, but getting people to join your shout groups will be harder as this isn't the top content now. It is still a draw due to gil and unique augments though. A sparks THF/DNC can do 1-1-1 to practice especially with trusts being called there now (just don't run by the monsters attacking your base with trust out, it will aggro them).

You can also get koru-moru's cipher from records of eminence quests now so I really suggest you do that as he is one of the best trusts in the game hands down. It is under Records of Eminence: Always Stand on 117 (Tutorial > Intermediate). He will haste II you, cure you, shell/pro V, distract II and dia III, phalanx II who is taking damage, refresh your mage trusts, and will even convert if low mp but can cause unfortunate deaths sometimes. As a THF Koru-moru, ulmia, gessho, and kupipi are all pretty easy to get if you've done missions and will cap your haste and keep you safe.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-16 21:01:27  
As far as trusts go, there are quite a few available for now you should get.

- Makki-Chebukki
- King of Hearts
- Morimar
- Sakura
- Ovjang
- Mnejing
- Cid
- Rahal
- Koru-Moru
- Qultada
- Adelheid
- Amchuchu
By Verda 2016-10-16 21:07:51  
Ya I'd grab all you can while they are available. Of those Koru as I've stated though you can get him through RoE, Sakura (if you want to skillup combat skills), Qultada (Cor Buffs), King of Hearts (RDM but only buffs you and himself, will spam erase though and has tankier stats) and Amchuchu (great magic damage tank) are the ones I'd make triple sure to get as they are really valuable.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-16 21:11:22  
I suggest getting them all, you never know when they'll buff some of the weaker ones. Mnejing for example just got his PDT changed to straight DT.
 Asura.Raitoken
user: raitoken
By Asura.Raitoken 2016-10-23 09:52:32  
What are the best weapons these days to get for starters? Oboro weapon and skirmish +2 weapon?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-23 13:32:28  
Non-RMEA dagger notes:

STARTING DAGGERS - You can get these within a day, realistically
  • eminent dagger (7000 Sparks from RoE NPCs): Can't go wrong with this.

• homestead dagger (30000 Bayld from Craggy Bluff in East Adoulin): A decent counterpart to Eminent Dagger, and will make Reives (should you do them) much faster. I still carry one in case I want to do Wildskeeper Reives. If you're short on bayld, spamming low level skirmishes can be effective, or trade in unwanted WKR/RoE gear to Runje Desaali in East Adoulin.

• atoyac (Tchakka or Mog Kupon AW-WK): As it can be augmented with Prah Janimhar in West Adoulin to have Occasionally Attacks Twice, this dagger will be extremely useful for offhand on anything where accuracy isn't an issue. Other recommended augments may vary based on how you gear and play, but you can't really go wrong with STP, WSD, Crit Rate, or Crit Damage.

• leisilonu +2 (Old Skirmish or Mog Kupon W-SCC): I would only suggest this because the Kupon is pretty easy to get. You'd likely retire it very quickly, even if you tried augmenting it (augmenting this sucks).

INTERMEDIATE DAGGERS - You might need help to get any of these daggers. Their relative performance will depend on the rest of your gear and buffs.
  • izhiikoh (Dakuwaqa, Foret de Hennetiel Delve superboss): A very well-rounded dagger, only surpassed these days because newer daggers do what it can and more. Delve requires 3 people for entry though, and Dakuwaqa isn't easy for beginners, so you'll likely need support from either experienced friends, a LS, or a capable pick-up group. Can also be bought from Forri-Porri for 200k plasm, but that's a steep price for a replaceable dagger.

• Ipetam (Alluvion Skirmish Rala, or Mog Kupon W-ASRW): With the RoE Intermediate, you could get one of these solo relatively easily. Requires good augments to beat Izhiikoh, so you might want to just use it in the short term and throw some cheap stones until you replace it.

• jugo kukri +1 (Vedrfolnir, Cape Teriggan Unity NM): Amazing offhand dagger, though you'll probably replace it with Taming Sari or Shijo. Massive jump in difference between this and the NQ; don't settle for the NQ, though dual wielding them is actually pretty decent. Could probably get this with shouting for help, as the NM is popular and not terribly difficult. Unity Event going on this month as well, so you've got a greater chance for getting this.

• Sandung (Oboro JSE Weapon): This dagger is pretty expensive these days, and isn't particularly useful unless you can fully augment it (requires beating Rhapsodies of Vana'diel), further increasing the cost. No real long-term use either, as the accuracy augment doesn't compare to it's low benefits. Pre-augments, it's pretty awful. With augments, it's fine, but it'll still lose to a Taming Sari. I would highly recommend against making one since your gil can be better spent.

• ternion dagger +1 (Mephitas, Garlaige Citadel Unity NM): Not that great, as it lacks DEX and has lower skill than the rest. Probably the weakest of these daggers, but it's still better than the starting daggers.

• Odium (Plouton, Vagary superboss): A good mainhand dagger, and the added jobs are a nice bonus. Roughly par with Izhiikoh. Added death is pretty rare.

HIGH-END DAGGERS
  • shijo (Amymone, Escha - Ru'Aun 125 NM): Path D is ideal, though bear in mind that the extra 5 DW may hurt you if you're over the amount you need. Great to offhand with Taming Sari main.

• taming sari (Sinister Reign; requires beating Adoulin Missions): Best non-RMEA dagger. Only reason not to use this would be for utility purposes. Requires a bit of luck to get, though, and more so to get the max augments. With crap augments, it's still better than most other daggers. This should be your eventual target if you don't want to make a RMEA. Using two is an option and a very strong combo, especially for the accuracy.

• Skinflayer (Strophadia, Reisenjima 135 NM): With good augments, it can potentially rival Taming Sari, but more often than not it falls short. Probably easier to get though.

• malevolence (Sinister Reign; requires beating Adoulin Missions): Best Aeolian/magic damage dagger, not impressive melee damage though. Even with crap augments it's pretty great.

SKIPPABLE DAGGERS
  • nanti knife (AH or crafted): Doesn't really provide much, especially for the cost. Save your gil for better investments.

• blurred knife/+1 (AH or crafted): There are some people who might suggest this, but for the most part it's not really useful for THF (only provides Haste and some acc). In most situations, you'll be getting Haste anyway, either from players or support trusts. The only places you might not would be something like Salvage (assuming you're not /RDM).

• Everything Else: The rest either come from harder content than better daggers, or are otherwise not worth the investment. If you do happen upon an improvement by chance (like from the daily Goblin Box), then by all means use it until you can replace it.

[+]
By Verda 2016-10-23 14:28:38  
In the spreadsheet shijo offhand will beat taming sari in many gear loadouts, putting it a tier below skinflayer and sari isn't accurate at all imo. The reason Shijo can do so well is the crit damage, boost to str and attack combined with low delay as an offhand dagger. This has been said many times and if you don't believe it can check the spreadsheet yourself. It's certainly a higher tier than odium and ternion dagger which don't even come close as offhands. The fact that it is also much much much easier to come by and that the augment system on it isn't random, it should really be the first offhand dagger a new thief turns to. Taming Sari is good if you need more accuracy than shijo offhand can offer, as is Skinflayer with the right augments. I would say this is a matter of opinion but it's really not, the spreadsheet clearly states it as well as my in game play.

The top three non RMEA offhands for THF are Shijo, Sari and Skinflayer and dps wise if acc isn't a concern Shijo either wins or is very competitive depending on loadout.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-23 14:40:46  
Reviewing my spreadsheet, I forgot to turn off the DW gift when I ran my calculations, so yeah you're right, I'll make the adjustment.
By mrlooolz 2016-11-01 02:57:17  
Verda said: »
In the spreadsheet shijo offhand will beat taming sari in many gear loadouts, putting it a tier below skinflayer and sari isn't accurate at all imo. The reason Shijo can do so well is the crit damage, boost to str and attack combined with low delay as an offhand dagger. This has been said many times and if you don't believe it can check the spreadsheet yourself. It's certainly a higher tier than odium and ternion dagger which don't even come close as offhands. The fact that it is also much much much easier to come by and that the augment system on it isn't random, it should really be the first offhand dagger a new thief turns to. Taming Sari is good if you need more accuracy than shijo offhand can offer, as is Skinflayer with the right augments. I would say this is a matter of opinion but it's really not, the spreadsheet clearly states it as well as my in game play.

The top three non RMEA offhands for THF are Shijo, Sari and Skinflayer and dps wise if acc isn't a concern Shijo either wins or is very competitive depending on loadout.

Thank you for this. Very Informative. Could you direct me to the spreadsheet ? Id like to take a look please.
 Asura.Shystie
user: Shystie
By Asura.Shystie 2016-11-03 14:34:44  
Thanks, Jeanpaul for the info.

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

"bear in mind that the extra 5 DW may hurt you if you're over the amount you need."

I am new back as well. What is the ideal amount of DW?
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2016-11-03 14:41:08  
from BG
table that will shows how much gear DW you will need with your current job's DW Tier and how much Haste you are receiving. Values listed are for capped gear haste.
Magic Haste
----------- 0% 10% 15% 30% Cap (cap is 43.75%)
-- T3(25) 49 45 42 31 11
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-11-03 14:57:26  

Total DW Needed = 1 - (0.2 / (1 - EquipHaste% - MagicHaste% - JAHaste%))

• Caps are 25% for Equip Haste, 43.75% for Magic Haste, and 25% for JA Haste (Samba).

• Assuming you have capped Equip Haste and Magic Haste, you only need a total of 36 DW to cap.

• Getting 25% Equip Haste is easy enough unless you're using Meghanada, something really outdated, or suffering from Encumbrance.

• Getting 43.75% is usually simple enough with trusts; any Haste II RDM (Koru, Arciela/II, King of Hearts) and Ulmia using both Marches will cover this. Sylvie with a RUN, PLD, or NIN as her summoner will also use Geo-Haste (supposedly 28.8%). Only other ways to get enough would be to have a real BRD or GEO.

• Shame on your party leader if they don't design the party in a way to cap your magic haste.

• THF naturally gets 25 DW and another 5 from gifts, and there is no way to lower it.

[+]