Random Politics & Religion #08

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #08
Random Politics & Religion #08
First Page 2 3 ... 77 78 79 ... 82 83 84
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 09:09:15  
There is only one thing wrong about that post Ram. The word possible.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-29 09:10:19  
Edit: Paged.

By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 09:13:00  
Chanti, I saw this earlier today and thought of you for some reason.

Donald Trump’s dad was Woody Guthrie’s racist landlord

Quote:
Since self-mythologizing is a key part of Donald Trump’s brand, it is a near-certainty that the public will be hearing a few glowing anecdotes about the supposed greatness of the GOP candidate’s father, Fred, between now and November. But there is one chapter of this story that Trump is bound to skip right past, even though it denies him the opportunity to drop a famous name from American history. It seems that, for two years starting in December 1950, the elder Trump was the Brooklyn landlord of legendary folksinger and rabble rouser Woody Guthrie. Consequence Of Sound’s Collin Brennan has written an eye-opening piece about the “oft-contentious relationship” that existed between these two men. Since Guthrie’s whole deal was championing the disadvantaged and disenfranchised, strumming protest songs on a guitar bearing a “This Machine Kills Fascists” sticker, it is not surprising that he and the Trump family would not get along. But what is surprising is that Trump’s father actually merited mention in Guthrie’s notebooks.

Lots of people have grievances against their landlords, but Guthrie’s main point of contention with Trump’s father was the latter’s systemic racism. The singer of “This Land Is Your Land” was living at the time in one of Trump’s federally subsidized housing projects, a place euphemistically called “Beach Haven.” If nothing else, that name reflects the Trump family’s knack for marketing. After signing the lease, however, the singer was incensed to learn that his landlord was taking advantage of Federal Housing Authority guidelines that allowed real estate developers to keep black people out of such dwellings. He wrote about his frustrations in a poem entitled “Old Man Trump.” To wit: “I suppose/Old Man Trump knows/Just how much/Racial Hate/he stirred up/In the bloodpot of human hearts/When he drawed/That color line/Here at his/Eighteen hundred family project ...”
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-29 09:15:06  
Not even half a minute before being paged. I hate you all!!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-29 09:15:32  
AV club has as much credibility as TMZ
By fonewear 2016-07-29 09:22:55  
Ramyrez said: »
Chanti, I saw this earlier today and thought of you for some reason.

Donald Trump’s dad was Woody Guthrie’s racist landlord

Quote:
Since self-mythologizing is a key part of Donald Trump’s brand, it is a near-certainty that the public will be hearing a few glowing anecdotes about the supposed greatness of the GOP candidate’s father, Fred, between now and November. But there is one chapter of this story that Trump is bound to skip right past, even though it denies him the opportunity to drop a famous name from American history. It seems that, for two years starting in December 1950, the elder Trump was the Brooklyn landlord of legendary folksinger and rabble rouser Woody Guthrie. Consequence Of Sound’s Collin Brennan has written an eye-opening piece about the “oft-contentious relationship” that existed between these two men. Since Guthrie’s whole deal was championing the disadvantaged and disenfranchised, strumming protest songs on a guitar bearing a “This Machine Kills Fascists” sticker, it is not surprising that he and the Trump family would not get along. But what is surprising is that Trump’s father actually merited mention in Guthrie’s notebooks.

Lots of people have grievances against their landlords, but Guthrie’s main point of contention with Trump’s father was the latter’s systemic racism. The singer of “This Land Is Your Land” was living at the time in one of Trump’s federally subsidized housing projects, a place euphemistically called “Beach Haven.” If nothing else, that name reflects the Trump family’s knack for marketing. After signing the lease, however, the singer was incensed to learn that his landlord was taking advantage of Federal Housing Authority guidelines that allowed real estate developers to keep black people out of such dwellings. He wrote about his frustrations in a poem entitled “Old Man Trump.” To wit: “I suppose/Old Man Trump knows/Just how much/Racial Hate/he stirred up/In the bloodpot of human hearts/When he drawed/That color line/Here at his/Eighteen hundred family project ...”

Of all the things that I don't care about a random folk musician is one of them !
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-29 09:24:12  
That was the worst analogy I ever read and I feel stupider having read it. Which is really saying something because I hover on the grim cusp of brain death on the regular.

Hillary's "experience" includes:
A Failed Universal healthcare proposal, *** shaming women that her husband boned, blaming them for his actions. Voting for the Iraq war, Sleeping through benghazi. Allowing russia to take the Crimea from the Ukraine, Destroying Libya, Nearly destroying egypt, Destroying Syria, Creating a private email server so that she wouldn't get caught asking for bribes from foreign countries for the clinton foundation.... the list goes on and on and on.

We need her experience like a hole in the head... or an all out nuclear war.

She has done nothing but FAIL unless you include lying and sucking like a leech for something.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:25:11  
Merely reposted from a post I saw elsewhere. I'm sure it's not going to change anyone's mind and people are just going to claim the analogy doesn't work and blah blah blah.

I merely thought it was interesting and shared it.
Yeah, very interesting for sure.

Overly biased, nowhere near even the most giving analogy for Clinton at all, given her track record of, you know, not actually being all that great of a SoS. I mean, that analogy is completely ignoring the corruption and ineptitude of Clinton. And that's what we do know.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 09:26:30  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Not even half a minute before being paged. I hate you all!!

fonewear said: »
Of all the things that I don't care about a random folk musician is one of them !

Which is why I didn't say "this made me think of you, Fone."

If I find a picture of Machiavelli choking a fat feminist, I'll refer you to it.

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
That was the worst analogy I ever read and I feel stupider having read it.

Nik, I thought we were pretty clear by now that I at least passively, if not actively, make that my goal with every post. I'm here to help ease/hasten your transition to full-blown dementia.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 09:28:09  
fonewear said: »
AV club has as much credibility as TMZ

AV Club is actually pretty reliable when it comes to their subject matter.

If they start reporting on Uganda's gross domestic product I'll be skeptical.

On movies/music/literature they're pretty great, to be frank.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:28:22  
Nik, I thought we were pretty clear by now that I at least passively, if not actively, make that my goal with every post. I'm here to help ease/hasten your transition to full-blown dementia.
That explains a lot then.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 09:29:47  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

It was not an intended effect from the start, but hey. When you find you're not bad at something, why not work it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:31:04  

It was not an intended effect from the start, but hey. When you find you're not bad at something, why not work it.
I....um......

You stink!
By fonewear 2016-07-29 09:35:33  
You would think everyone would be gushing about how great Hillary is after her speech last night but....*crickets*
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:38:28  
Thought this was appropriate:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:40:11  
Another one:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 09:41:14  
You stink!

That's not nice. I'm very insecure about my smells. I try very hard to always smell nice. ._.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:42:25  
You stink!

That's not nice. I'm very insecure about my smells. I try very hard to always smell nice. ._.

To give you that old man stink.
By fonewear 2016-07-29 09:45:42  
The best smell is to not smell like anything.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-29 09:46:46  
This is just a poll wikilicks made on twitter, but almost 50k people voted, I think it's interesting at the very least https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/758855786806190080

I don't twit...and stubbornly refuse to join.

who won the poll?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-29 09:50:57  

best of luck to you in all your endeavors then I guess....

but could someone please... pretty please with cream and sugar on it point to something POSITIVE that hillary clinton has done other than enrich herself on the blood of the american taxpayer?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:53:00  

best of luck to you in all your endeavors then I guess....

but could someone please... pretty please with cream and sugar on it point to something POSITIVE that hillary clinton has done other than enrich herself on the blood of the american taxpayer?
She hasn't managed to kill every American in the nation yet?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-29 09:54:43  
This is just a poll wikilicks made on twitter, but almost 50k people voted, I think it's interesting at the very least https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/758855786806190080

who won the poll?
Trump 42%
Clinton 24%
Stein 19%
Johnson 15%
[+]
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-07-29 09:54:51  
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-29 09:55:21  

who won the poll?
Trump 42%
Clinton 24%
Stein 19%
Johnson 15%

<insert diabolical laugh here>
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-29 09:58:19  
Meh, who cares about online polls anyway?

They are never indicative of what's really on people's minds.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-29 10:05:25  
I saw an NBC poll yesterday with Johnson pounding the piss out of everyone by like 20 percentage points. Clearly online polling is problematic.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-07-29 10:10:02  
I saw an NBC poll yesterday with Johnson pounding the piss out of everyone by like 20 percentage points. Clearly online polling is problematic.
Are we still doing phrasing?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-29 10:14:21  
Anna Ruthven said: »
Are we still doing phrasing?

No.

Johnson pounding

If only you could focus your energy on something else for fifteen minutes....
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-29 10:16:14  
Obviously who follows them is key.
I thought it was interesting that on wikilicks Trump was ahead by large margins.
First Page 2 3 ... 77 78 79 ... 82 83 84