Random Politics & Religion #07

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #07
Random Politics & Religion #07
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 59 60 61
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 11:43:49  
Siren.Mosin said: »
/kicksdirt

That was my initial thought when Nik told me to pick a side.

I was going to say "well, given the white/hetero/middle class/male nature of my being...I don't think I'd survive very long in an active riot. They generally don't stop to ask where your sympathies lie. Herd mentality, ***."
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-08 11:51:41  
Ramyrez said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
/kicksdirt

That was my initial thought when Nik told me to pick a side.

I was going to say "well, given the white/hetero/middle class/male nature of my being...I don't think I'd survive very long in an active riot. They generally don't stop to ask where your sympathies lie. Herd mentality, ***."

I would prefer if we could prevent it from happening in the first place. Restoring the public's trust in the integrity of the Police Force would be a good start, though by Nic's attitude I don't think the Police Force believes itself answerable to the Public in the first place. Wonder how long until we got some real life Judge Dredd "I AM THE LAW" action going on, if it's not already there.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 11:58:47  
Well the thing is, I get what Nik's saying, too, but sample size and statistics are not the way the majority of people think.

People (in this case, poor blacks) have seen enough people with whom they identified victimized disproportionate to their infraction, if there was ever an infraction at all in some cases. It doesn't matter if the ones we've seen in the news are even the only cases, which they assuredly are not.

The perception is now out there. It's happening. It doesn't matter the vast majority of officers are on the up-and-up. The ones that aren't are making a world of trouble for everyone involved.

Just ask Catholic priests about how a handful can make serious image and perception problems for the whole.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-08 12:05:47  
Well the thing is, I get what Nik's saying, too, but sample size and statistics are not the way the majority of people think.

If we're going to throw out logic and reason and statistics then you guys are on your own!!!

I know it's weird coming from me... but the perception doesn't meet the reality and we need to get to the real problem which is who is creating this perception and why?

why is the media creating a false illusion that white cops are out to get black people?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-08 12:06:17  
Siren.Lordgrim said: »
Yo seha I respect the people of Italy but your the exception
I don't respect you either, I find you unintelligent.

it's like you want there to be some kind of diplomatic tension between the US and Italy
Wut??

I strongly suggest you learn history of the liberation of your nation from Benito Mussolini that the US contributed from our north african campaign.
Hilarious. I can guarantee you I have a much better education than you do on anything minus US history.
And Idk, if you are good at carpentry I guess there's that too!

If you have not realized the United States government has entered the realtor business on a whole bigger level instead of creating homes we are destroying homes with drones and missiles. Instead of helping foreign governments we are destroying governments with internal coups. We have capitalized on a term called " spreading democracy " on nations who do not follow our corporations policy's. And Weapons manufacturers like Haliburton are always incentivizing lobbying gifts to representatives who will warmonger for them for the sole contract of arm supplying for the invasion.

Your very fortunate I do not agree with the business as usual as is going on right now in Washington DC.
And you tell me all this because...........?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-08 12:09:02  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
And you tell me all this because...........?

because you engaged him!...how many times have we warned you about that!? lol
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-08 12:09:48  
The ones that aren't are making a world of trouble for everyone involved.

It would of been solved had that same majority outed the dumb ***'s and taken care of business but they didn't. They closed ranks, fabricated reports, lied, disposed of evidence, planted new evidence, and did whatever they had to do to ensure the Integrity of the Police Force was maintained. And when the public called them out, they promptly ignored the Public and pulled "WE NEVER BROKE THE LAW, WE ARE THE LAW!"

That kind of flagrant disrespect for the public just shows the kind of arrogant "them vs us" mentality that's being accepted as the culture. If 100 civilians have to die to protect one Officer, that's perfectly acceptable.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-08 12:10:19  
Asura.Saevel said: »
I don't think the Police Force believes itself answerable to the Public in the first place.

Seems like that's going around nowadays. Doesn't make sense to give politicians that pass while hating on police for doing it too.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-08 12:11:24  
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-08 12:25:57  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I know it's weird coming from me... but the perception doesn't meet the reality and we need to get to the real problem which is who is creating this perception and why?

The police are creating it themselves. This is not the doing of the liberal media, the blame for this rests solely on the Police Forces culture of silence. The liberal media is merely fanning the flames and taking advantage of the situation to press an agenda.

YouTube Video Placeholder

That's second degree murder happening.

Initially the Police Chief said an internal investigation determined the killing was "justified". He did this without knowing that someone had already leaked the helmet camera footage onto the internet. The citizens of the area, upon seeing the footage, went ballistic. Lots of phone calls to the Mayor demanding resignation and all sorts of national publicity. The Mayor caved and a special investigation (one done by outside people) determined the shootings were not justified and the DA pushed for prosecution. The Police Department then used past records of the DA to get the whole thing thrown out, every other DA in the state refused to prosecute the case and a special attorney had to be hired to do it. Both Officers are now on trial for second degree murder.

The wiki has a collection of stuff related to it.

Quote:
Because of a long string of police shootings before this one, the United States Department of Justice had already initiated an investigation into the APD. On April 21 APD officer Jeremy Dear shot and killed 19-year-old Mary Hawkes as she ran away from him.[50] She was suspected of stealing a car.[51] Dear was fired for not turning on his camera and is appealing his termination.

City records show that between 2009 and 2014, Albuquerque Police Department officers were involved in 47 shootings. Deaths resulted from 32 of these. The Department of Justice reviewed 20 shootings from 2009-2010 and in its final report said that a majority of them were not constitutional.[52] Police Chief Gorden Eden attributed the situation to "systemic failure in our ability to track employee misconduct," and said that he believed "there are people on the force who shouldn't be on the force."[53] However, he said, because union rules make it difficult to discipline officers retroactively, "we may be stuck with them."[53]
Department of Justice Investigation

US DOJ released a scathing report on April 10, 2014 which said in part that "Albuquerque police officers often use deadly force in circumstances where there is no imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm to officers or others." It cited an incident in which officers Tasered a man who had poured gasoline on himself, setting him on fire.[52]

The report said that “Supervisors marked as ‘reasonable’ almost every use of force report form we saw,” and that officers were almost never reprimanded for failing to turn on their cameras. The report also cited a pattern of violence against people who were mentally ill or unable to comply due to their mental state, One developmentally disabled man was Tasered, kicked and beaten, yet never charged with any crime.[52]
History of wrongful death litigation

Civil lawsuits have cost the city 23 million dollars as it has lost wrongful death case after wrongful death case since 2010. This figure includes $7.95 million paid to the family of Kenneth Ellis, who was shot as he held a gun to his own head, and $900,000 to the family of Alan Gomez, an unarmed man shot with a spoon in his hand by Sean Wallace, who had previously shot two other men in the line of duty.[54] Wallace was not disciplined and has since been promoted to sergeant and elected to the police union board.[55] On October 1, 2014 Wallace received an award for outstanding service.[56]

Quote:
One of the officers responsible for the shooting, Keith Sandy, faced criminal charges in 2007 for receiving payments from a private security contractor while working for the State Police. Then-Deputy Chief Mike Castro said Sandy would not be badged nor allowed to carry a gun.[42][43] That case against Officer Sandy was later dropped as no charges were filed against him. He joined the Repeat Offender Unit, considered an elite assignment. No video of the Boyd shooting was recovered from Sandy's camera.[44]

Albuquerque police officer Keith Sandy was allowed to retire from the Albuquerque Police Department in November 2014; however the investigation by APD internal affairs continued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_James_Boyd

Like I said, lots more where that came from.

It's not that there were bad Officers, it's how the system moved to protect them. These two men murdered a man and their "brothers in blue" moved mountains to try to protect them from prosecution for those crimes. The people responsible for protecting and upholding the law are allowed themselves to violate it with zero consequence. This situation has repeated itself over and over and over again in cities all across the nation and it's been going on since the Rodney King days.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-07-08 12:27:59  

this is a point we all need to heed. If you're not dealing with reality on its terms, we're all just masturbating.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-07-08 12:55:12  
ok so lets break it down.

Who does all this chaos benefit?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-08 12:56:58  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The media.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2016-07-08 12:57:17  
If we want to be really really cynical.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-08 12:58:29  

The Liberal Media is milking it for all it's worth. Doesn't' meant hey are creating it.

The BREXIT situation caused my investment options to go up, doesn't mean I caused the BREXIT.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 12:58:39  

Here's the thing. People are angry. They feel helpless.

They're not interested in benefitting people. They're interested in getting revenge on who they -- correctly or incorrectly -- view as their tormentors.

It's not as simple as "follow the money" in this instance. Though there's certain a factor of that in the media coverage and associated political grandstanding.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-08 12:59:13  
doesn't mean I caused the BREXIT
We'll see about that... *investigates*
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 12:59:58  

Saev is Boris.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-07-08 13:04:54  

I forecast it would happen. Nobody should of been surprised with the BREXIT vote went the way it did. The anger and feelings had been building for a long time and those in power refused to acknowledge them thinking they were "above" such things.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-07-08 13:20:39  

If we're going to throw out logic and reason and statistics then you guys are on your own!!!

why is the media creating a false illusion that white cops are out to get black people?
What are the statistics regarding the police and the black community? Because this issue about the racial disparity in the way law enforcement treats citizens.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-08 13:29:42  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

What are the statistics regarding the police and the black community? Because this issue about the racial disparity in the way law enforcement treats citizens.

You'll have to dig into these yourself if you don't like what you hear, but here are some interesting stats that have been reported by Heather Mac Donald, an author of a book about cop killings:

In a study by the NYPD, black officers in the New York Police Department were 3.3 times more likely to use their guns at shooting scenes than white officers.

Twelve percent of all whites and Hispanics who die of homicide are killed by police officers. Four percent of all blacks, homicide victims, are killed by police officers.

A police officer is 18-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is likely to be killed by a police officer.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-07-08 13:37:56  
Is there an actual source for these outside of this woman's book?
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 13:42:23  
Is there an actual source for these outside of this woman's book?

I would imagine the book, if worth its salt at all, cites the sources.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 13:46:52  
From Amazon.

Quote:
About the Author

Heather Mac Donald is the Thomas W. Smith Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal.

A non-practicing lawyer, Mac Donald has clerked for the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, has been an attorney-adviser in the Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and a volunteer with the Natural Resources Defense Council in New York City.

The New Jersey State Law Enforcement Officers Association conferred its Civilian Valor Award on her in 2004. She was awarded the 2008 Integrity in Journalism award from the New York State Shields. She was also the recipient of the 2008 Eugene Katz Award for Excellence in the Coverage of Immigration from the Center for Immigration Studies and the 2012 Quill & Badge Award for Excellence in Communication from the International Union of Police Associations.

Her writings have also appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, The New Republic, Partisan Review, The New Criterion, Public Interest, and Academic Questions.

Mac Donald received her B.A. in English from Yale University, graduating with a Mellon Fellowship to Cambridge University, where she earned her M.A. in English and studied in Italy through a Clare College study grant. Her J.D. is from Stanford University Law School.

She's knee-deep in praise from law enforcement organizations for the past decade. I must state that I am not dismissing her out of hand for this but I would be very, very careful reading too much into anything she's written without looking into the source material as well.

Again, must iterate, not saying anything she says is inaccurate or conclusions are wrong, but it seems like a source with very serious potential for bias given well over a decade of support from law enforcement.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-07-08 14:07:12  
a decade of support from law enforcement.

I think that lends her even more credibility.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 14:14:13  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
In a study by the NYPD, black officers in the New York Police Department were 3.3 times more likely to use their guns at shooting scenes than white officers.

Preface: I'm not presenting this as taking either side, it's an honest curiosity on this statistic: is this because black officers are more likely to be assigned to beats or respond to calls in areas where there's more likely to be violent interaction?
By Ramyrez 2016-07-08 14:14:37  
a decade of support from law enforcement.

I think that lends her even more credibility.

It's possible. I want that to be the case. Very much so.

But I'm saying that the cynic in me sees it as a potential sign of serious bias.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-08 15:36:26  

Preface: I'm not presenting this as taking either side, it's an honest curiosity on this statistic: is this because black officers are more likely to be assigned to beats or respond to calls in areas where there's more likely to be violent interaction?

I'm still looking into all of this, because observational data always has bias due to its very nature and I cannot in good conscience draw conclusions as a result.

That being said, let's play a game of "If That's True" for the sake of conversation. Being 3.3 times more likely to use a gun in the line of duty based on race alone is certainly eyebrow-raising. From what I read, I believe the implication was that white officers in the NYPD are more restrained in their gun use simply because of the increased scrutiny and potential fallout from another "white cop shoots black man" incident. Bad cops are going to be bad cops, but it would appear that there is a psychological counter-effect on other white policemen due to the firestorms that have occurred in recent years.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-07-08 16:24:28  

You'll have to dig into these yourself if you don't like what you hear, but here are some interesting stats that have been reported by Heather Mac Donald, an author of a book about cop killings:

Twelve percent of all whites and Hispanics who die of homicide are killed by police officers. Four percent of all blacks, homicide victims, are killed by police officers.

A police officer is 18-and-a-half times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is likely to be killed by a police officer.

It's stunning really. The statistics on black crime are pretty clear.

But the liberals I know (in person) take those statistics and contort them to means that if a justice system arrests more black people, then that system must inherently be racist in nature.

Everyone is equal and if they aren't they must be victims of the system.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-07-08 16:33:23  
It allows Democrat politicians to ignore the roots of the problems that lead to a life of crime and how their policies have held back African Americans for decades.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 59 60 61