First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Cyleena
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Cyleena
By Asura.Cyleena 2016-05-16 21:58:01  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Draylo said: »
GEO is the easiest job to gear and use in almost ANY content in the game. It's literally the only job that is required for anything hard and pretty much all content.

Which is why it's universally suggested for anyone asking how to get into endgame quickly.

That all said, just because you can cast a 900 skill Dunna bubble doesn't mean you've "mastered" GEO. There's a lot you can do on the job. It's not high stress by any means, but you can do more than just bubbles in any content in the game.

It definitely is not near of a stressing job especially in end game as lets say whm is, or even a tank job. I used to main whm, and it was night and day the comparison between whm and geo. lol

Even though Idris made me on geo way more I at first struggled with it because I was so used to doing more like I did on whm. Even coming a sub job to cure etc it was still slow paced compared to whm. That is why I worked on a really good nuke set, etc and I do not just cast bubbles, I MB with the blm, and keep myself busy doing other things including hasting blm, and I sometimes even sub whm to erase, na, etc to help the whm out some.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-17 00:38:54  
GEO is like a mini-RDM, its basic functions are easy but it's got a ***ton more it can contribute. It's also the only job that's practically required for all worthwhile content. This is due to two unique GEO only abilities, Frailty and Malaise. Nothing else comes close to those two for what they do, then you have vex attunment which can be required to block some really annoying aoe status ailments.
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
サーバ: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2016-05-17 01:18:28  
Asura.Saevel said: »
GEO is like a mini-RDM, its basic functions are easy but it's got a ***ton more it can contribute. It's also the only job that's practically required for all worthwhile content. This is due to two unique GEO only abilities, Frailty and Malaise. Nothing else comes close to those two for what they do, then you have vex attunment which can be required to block some really annoying aoe status ailments.

Torpor/Precision are more important than just Frailty in my opinion. High end content requires extremely high amounts of accuracy. If you can't hit the mob, all the -defense in the world doesn't mean anything. Obviously though, you'll have 2 GEO, so doesn't really matter.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-17 01:32:39  
Sylph.Ice said: »
Torpor/Precision are more important than just Frailty in my opinion

Then your melee's suck.

There are many ways to buff accuracy and accuracy is a linear buff. Defense down on the other hand scales the same way haste does, same with magic defense. 900 Dunna is 28.3%, Idris is 41.8%. That is worth more then any other buff except haste, which is easy to get. If you are using double acc over Frailty then you suck and shouldn't be meleeing that content.

Just to give ppl an idea of what I take on Reisenjima T2's, CL135, pretty much the highest your going to want to take melee on.

Tank (just cause)
DD (me usually WAR)
DD (someone else who doesn't get to play DD often)
GEO Vex / Attunment
GEO Precision / Frailty (Precision isn't needed unless the NM levels up)
WHM

The GEO's take turns entrust indi-haste.
[+]
 Sylph.Braden
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2016-05-17 01:43:55  
Other jobs can match Precision or Torpor, can't say the same for Frailty.
[+]
 Asura.Tarquine
By Asura.Tarquine 2016-05-17 01:51:37  
GEO is easy mode. What people seem to be alluding to, but not quite nailing down is that there is a difference between the potential of a GEO and the majority of GEOs out there.

GEO is like iceream, everybody loves it, and comes in 2 main flavours:

1) Bubble[gum] GEO - The kind of GEO who joins an event, casts 2 bubbles, and waits for them to die. Recast, repeat.

2) Bubble[gum] Deluxe with flake, sprinkles, sauce and nuts - Casts 2 bubbles, entrusts a bubble, hastes ppl, enfeebs, debuffs, nukes and more!

Now, I'm sure any GEOs reading this will be saying "Well that's not me, i'm awesome GEO i'm clearly the deliuxe". Well, I don't deny it, i'm sure you are. But some still come in plain old bubblegum. Please note that having 900+ skill does not make you go from one flavour to the next, nor does you gear.

The thing about GEO being like icecream is this: Everybody wants icecream. Even if it only comes in one simple flavour, i'm not going to say "No thanks, I don't want a plain and simple icecream". Of course, if I can have the deluxe with all the added stuff, then i'll take it!

This analogy also applies in the same way to COR and BRD.
i.e.
Chocolate - Roll only COR, or Deluxe shooty/melee/WS/SC.
Vanilla - Song only BRD, or heal, debuff, sleep, pull, melee, etc.

The main difference is that while everyone likes these icecreams is that they just aren't 'flavour of the month'. Everyone likes vanilla, but noone wants vanilla with special bubblegum flavour on the menu. Chocolate is always in demand, but if you are gonna go with chocolate, you usually want to go all out and spoil yourself with the deluxe.
[+]
By Titanfoo 2016-05-17 02:14:14  
Geo comes with a downfall, there are 700 idris Geo's everywhere.
By Titanfoo 2016-05-17 02:15:53  
join the army of geo's; most of them don't know how to enfeeble even though all the JSE gear tells them to do so
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-05-17 02:49:55  
Skjalf thinks everyone should be nice to each other and try to invite everyone / various jobs at least some of the time.
[+]
By Tarlant 2016-05-17 07:28:59  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Tarlant said: »
we only shine in groups. Compared to what BLU and SCH can do alone it's basically nothing.

which is the *** point

Ok then. Bring a group of 6 GEO to Reisenjima and tell me how it goes. You need a Tank, a healer, someone who can self SC, and DD for GEO to shine, it's not a "press to win" button.

Seriously, it's not GEO who is soloing T2 and T3 on Ru'aun and Reisenjima.

A lot of the criticism on see about GEO playstile are the same about BRD in the days. It's the same old song, support jobs will always be more in-demand since less people play them or find them engaging. I play GEO so that party slot is already filled, and most of the times I find myself looking for a Tank in shouts.

I do find puzzling that somehow GEO is less engaging to play than BLM. Once we casted our bubbles we have similar tools at our disposition and can definitely contribute to the party damage.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-05-17 09:05:15  
Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Skjalf thinks everyone should be nice to each other and try to invite everyone / various jobs at least some of the time.
THIS got reported? Really?

Considering that you have to click 'report' then choose the offense you believe applies, then click to submit, I'm not really inclined to believe it was an accident.

/endrant please continue.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 09:18:10  
When the alternative is not being invited to anything I don't see how it's lame.

/choke
build the party YOURSELF!

for the love of altana....there's another thing I just can't stand.

whiners that stand around waiting for other people to shout for the things they need...and then complain they don't get any invites in their sparks gear.

/yell

come up with a strat, put together a group and kick some ***.

it's not that hard...

but I don't wanna /tears 'cause I'm afraid people will rag on me if we wipe and /moretears I'm shy...

get over it

and while you're at it try not being a self centered douche every waking hour.

if you kick *** if you are mediocre if you don't suck 24/7 people will ask you to do stuff with them when you log on
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-17 09:30:07  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
When the alternative is not being invited to anything I don't see how it's lame.

/choke
build the party YOURSELF!

for the love of altana....there's another thing I just can't stand.

whiners that stand around waiting for other people to shout for the things they need...and then complain they don't get any invites in their sparks gear.

/yell

come up with a strat, put together a group and kick some ***.

it's not that hard...

but I don't wanna /tears 'cause I'm afraid people will rag on me if we wipe and /moretears I'm shy...

get over it

and while you're at it try not being a self centered douche every waking hour.

if you kick *** if you are mediocre if you don't suck 24/7 people will ask you to do stuff with them when you log on

Have you really lost sight for what this thread is about? This is a thread about newer players/returnees asking what job to play. These are people that have never done the content, and aren't going to be very confident in leading such an endeavor.

So get the *** off my nuts, this is in no way about me, I build my own parties, I invite PUP's to them, and have no issue whatsoever. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about people who aren't me, so how about calming down the blood flow to your raging hardon for me and use it to try to help people.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 09:34:56  
this is in no way about me

clam down bro the song isn't about you...

YouTube Video Placeholder

it's a rant against the OP and people like the OP. if you aren't an aby burned autoquitter it's not about you.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-17 09:37:23  
So you seriously think every single new person is going to be a-okay shouting on their sparks gear DRG to lead a vagary run? Just choose a job and lead! What great advice.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 09:43:11  
So you seriously think every single new person is going to be a-okay shouting on their sparks gear DRG to lead a vagary run? Just choose a job and lead! What great advice.

OP isn't a new person.

seriously dude read some

even if it's just a little bit at a time.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-17 09:45:24  

OP isn't a new person.

seriously dude read some

He got jobs to 99 during ABYSSEA. Do you think he knows how ANY of the content from SoA and beyond works? NO. So he's effectively a new person. You try reading sometime.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Primex
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Primex 2016-05-17 09:48:06  
Bismarck.Misao said: »
If you loose to a Blanka in street fighter who spams the electric charge, you suck at street fighter.
touche' - left myself wide open there!
Well met, sir.
 Shiva.Keman
user: Keman
By Shiva.Keman 2016-05-17 09:50:42  
Not even sure what this thread is about anymore, but yes geo!

This just goes in general, but a lot of times if people spent the time they use complaining about a problem, on actually trying to solve it. They would be much better off.

I swear FFXI isn't as hard as some people make it out to be sometimes.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 09:51:52  

OP isn't a new person.

seriously dude read some

He got jobs to 99 during ABYSSEA. Do you think he knows how ANY of the content from SoA and beyond works? NO. So he's effectively a new person. You try reading sometime.

No he isn't. he's a quitter.

he played the game, it stopped being about him for ten minutes and then he quit.

he is a very specific type of returning player, that, if you had read any of the other posts in this thread you would understand we are all sick to death of and up to our eyeballs in.

so stfu
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-05-17 09:54:43  
Titanfoo said: »
Blazed1979 said: »
Tekken:
Eddie.
Any combination of moves will result in what aesthetically appears to be very skilled gameplay.
Truth is you have no *** clue what you're doing, Eddie fans. Try playing with Yoshimitsu or Howarang

Howarang???? Really???
what? :s he's got 4 stances and a 36 hit combo. I'm not saying he's Jin...but he isn't Eddie or Blanka.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-17 10:00:57  
Siren.Kyte said: »
we only shine in groups. Compared to what BLU and SCH can do alone it's basically nothing.

which is the *** point

Ok then. Bring a group of 6 GEO to Reisenjima and tell me how it goes. You need a Tank, a healer, someone who can self SC, and DD for GEO to shine, it's not a "press to win" button.

Seriously, it's not GEO who is soloing T2 and T3 on Ru'aun and Reisenjima.

A lot of the criticism on see about GEO playstile are the same about BRD in the days. It's the same old song, support jobs will always be more in-demand since less people play them or find them engaging. I play GEO so that party slot is already filled, and most of the times I find myself looking for a Tank in shouts.

I do find puzzling that somehow GEO is less engaging to play than BLM. Once we casted our bubbles we have similar tools at our disposition and can definitely contribute to the party damage.

Remember there is a huge difference between the "minimum" required to fill are role and what a job's true potential can be. 99.9% of people who invite GEO's invite them for bubbles and only bubbles. GEO's can do a ***ton more, like I said it's a miniature RDM, but the entry requirement is very low, which is the point of recommending them. This is why they are compared to BRD's and COR's, both of those jobs can do minimal work and still get invites. BRD's can sing songs then go watch cat videos, same with COR and GEO. BRDs can also contribute a lot more then just songs, same with COR and GEO, yet they are always invited for those songs, rolls and bubbles.

I believe a gentlemen above used the ice cream analogy, which was pretty spot on.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-17 10:02:23  
Anna Ruthven said: »

Considering that you have to click 'report' then choose the offense you believe applies, then click to submit, I'm not really inclined to believe it was an accident.

Some people raging pretty hard in here, which is kind of funny. OP asked about what jobs are generally required / invited for current content and some recommendations on how to get back into the "swing of things". People decided to take this as an opportunity to rage on band-wagoners and game balance.
[+]
By volkom 2016-05-17 10:08:46  
Returned to XI not too long ago. I'm a fair bit behind in terms of gear/content completion etc but the stuff that I can do I'm having a lot of fun. Some people I know tell me to drop DRK and work on cor/brd/whm and I'm like hrrrgh.
Any who playing DRK and semi/struggling with some content feels like dark souls xD
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
サーバ: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-05-17 10:10:44  
"but level GEO, GEO is needed for all endgame content"

so what you mean to say is, engame content is just a full party of GEOs?

no?

then why is it so sought after?
<insert long wall of text with math on buffs and debuffs and mumbojumbo>

so if it is all thata good, why dont YOU play GEO and recruit the other job classes?

this is why the game is in such a state.. "you dont play <insert flavor of the month job>, hop on the bandwagon, or you dont get shinies. what fun? what is fun? we are the fun police. no fun required.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 10:11:16  
volkom said: »
Returned to XI not too long ago. I'm a fair bit behind in terms of gear/content completion etc but the stuff that I can do I'm having a lot of fun. Some people I know tell me to drop DRK and work on cor/brd/whm and I'm like hrrrgh.
Any who playing DRK and semi/struggling with some content feels like dark souls xD

and you can have five friggin trusts in dynamis, enter at will and get your apoc in no time

there is literally a million things to have fun doing.

welcome home brother.
[+]
By Afania 2016-05-17 10:32:04  

Some people raging pretty hard in here, which is kind of funny. OP asked about what jobs are generally required / invited for current content and some recommendations on how to get back into the "swing of things". People decided to take this as an opportunity to rage on band-wagoners and game balance.

And we don't even know if OP will find GEO boring to play with or not. Maybe he'll enjoy it.
 Asura.Foreverj
user: Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-17 10:48:26  

Every thread we have same people arguing/discussing with same people. We need a designated all you can argue thread. I'm neutral just saying it's funny lol
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-05-17 11:03:46  
Asura.Foreverj said: »
I'm neutral

Friggin neutrals!!!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-05-17 11:06:36  

I could understand that, but Skjalf's post was pretty neutral and didn't warrant a report.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8