users online
Ethics in Politics
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Onvasquez
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onvasquez
By Cerberus.Onvasquez 2016-04-12 16:29:07  
I dont watch political debates or keep up with the news, however I am trying to come up with different ethical topics in todays elections. What are the ethical view points of the people running for president? Where does each stand in terms of their ethical beliefs and what ethical dilemma are each breaking.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-12 16:35:00  
Their aren't any ethics in politics anymore.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-04-12 16:35:30  
there*

*** off, I haven't slept much.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-12 16:39:04  
Cerberus.Onvasquez said: »
I dont watch political debates or keep up with the news, however I am trying to come up with different ethical topics in todays elections. What are the ethical view points of the people running for president? Where does each stand in terms of their ethical beliefs and what ethical dilemma are each breaking.

Ethics and morals, thanks to Niccolo Machiavelli no longer exist in politics.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-12 18:05:55  
My_Guy™ is very ethical. It's The_Other_Guy™ that is severely lacking.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-13 09:44:34  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Ethics and morals, thanks to Niccolo Machiavelli no longer exist in politics.
They may have existed in classical Greece but by the time of the Roman republic they were endangered if not extinct.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-13 10:02:45  
Ethics in politics went out the door when the second ever election took place.

First election had ethics because the politicians didn't know what sort of power they would have wielded. Once the people saw, they were all fighting with each other so they can control the ladle that stirs the pot.

Besides, if we are going to debate ethics in politics, shouldn't we first determine our own ethical tendencies? You can't really call something ethical or not if you don't know what your personal code of ethics are. That requires some deep insight and soul searching, and I'm afraid that many of our posters here have not done even the slightest bit of soul searching here. Doesn't matter what side of the political coin you are on either.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-13 10:39:47  
Moral obligation compels one to note that some posters who pontificate do not understand the difference between morals and ethics. Let alone qualified to comment on others compass when they lack an understanding of how both morals and ethics often run counter to what is "legal" and considered social custom.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-13 12:21:58  
Moral obligation compels one to note that some posters who pontificate do not understand the difference between morals and ethics. Let alone qualified to comment on others compass when they lack an understanding of how both morals and ethics often run counter to what is "legal" and considered social custom.
One should also note that one shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, especially since he is the one who doesn't understand the difference between morals and ethics himself. Otherwise, he would just be labeled a hypocrite for making comments such as the one quoted above.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-13 12:24:26  
Slaves should just run away.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-13 13:43:40  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Slaves should just run away.

Overkill tort litigation is super if my guy benefits from it. Bully to my guy if he does an about-face and closes the lid after raking it in, too.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-13 17:11:42  
Let's see what Webster has to say.

Quote:
Full Definition of ethic
plural but sing or plural in constr : the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation
a : a set of moral principles : a theory or system of moral values <the present-day materialistic ethic> <an old-fashioned work ethic> —often used in plural but singular or plural in construction <an elaborate ethics> <Christian ethics>
b plural but sing or plural in constr : the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group <professional ethics>
c : a guiding philosophy
d : a consciousness of moral importance <forge a conservation ethic>

Full Definition of moral
a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ethical <moral judgments>
b : expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior <a moral poem>
c : conforming to a standard of right behavior
d : sanctioned by or operative on one's conscience or ethical judgment <a moral obligation>

I'm gonna have to agree with Rav.
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
My_Guy™ is very ethical. It's The_Other_Guy™ that is severely lacking.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-13 17:43:29  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
One should also note that one shouldn't throw stones in glass houses

One should note the idiom is "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I'd be demanding a refund if you truly did receive a private education as you've claimed; you can't even get a basic idiom right.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-13 17:53:43  
Yep totally immoral. But then again they could truly be malevolent at heart and feel its aligned to their personal perception of what is ethically correct for global leadership.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-13 18:04:32  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
one of the candidates said we should "bomb them until the sand glows" and another said we should "target their wives and children" advocating war crimes.

It's not a good year my friend.

Not a good year at all since the other side wants to bring them all over here to live.

The difference is.
But then again they could truly be malevolent at heart
The side using extremely strong language could be. The side actively bringing them to the USA to live are not.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-13 20:09:48  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
That was very inappropriate of me to joke like that, I apologize.
That is SO fricking Canadian.

Those were actual quotes. I saw it as a legitimate comment.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-13 20:15:02  
So Canadian that they delete a post (which can't be seen except by them) then make a post to apologize for it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-13 20:27:32  
Josiahkf said: »
So Canadian that they delete a post (which can't be seen except by them) then make a post to apologize for it.
It was only right to apologize since the post was live for a few minutes before I realized it was in poor taste.

Josi, it really wasn't bad. If someone was that offended by a Canadian taking the mick when commenting on the US, that's on them.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-13 20:42:58  
Josiahkf said: »
You know what I mean right zah? We don't come into threads like this to take the piss out of people etc

It gave me a chuckle. The US doesn't have a monopoly on intra-continental ribbings. I won't repeat it if you don't want me to. It was funny.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-13 21:21:34  
A fine case of ethics in politics, fundraising dept.

The RNC Is Disguising Fundraising Pitches as Overdue Bills
Slate

Quote:
Political mailers are rarely calm or even-keeled documents. The same campaigns that declare they’re cruising to victory on cable news will turn around and send potential supporters emails or letters with breathless requests for cash. But the Republican National Committee appears to have found a way to raise the stakes from “we desperately need your help” to “you have to give it to us.” To wit, an RNC mailer that has been going around with a big, bold “NOTICE OF DELINQUENCY” that conveniently looks an awful lot like an overdue bill.

There has been a rash of recent reports of people being confused—and, frankly, scared—when opening a version of that letter, including in California, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. In case the all-caps “NOTICE OF DELINQUENCY”—stamped on the envelope and the letter itself—doesn’t grab the recipient’s attention, there’s also an attached donation slip disguised somewhat convincingly as a bill, complete with a “PAST DUE” notice, circled in red, as well as text that reads, “*** IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUESTED***”. The letter’s signee? Republican National Chairman Reince Preibus.

People first started to complain about the scaremongering solicitation late last month, and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service has told a number of outlets that it’s currently investigating the complaints. While I’d be surprised if the RNC gets in any serious trouble, the Postal Service rules appear fairly clear on the topic (hat tip Danny Westneat of the Seattle Times):

Quote:

Title 39, United States Code, Section 3001, makes it illegal to mail a solicitation in the form of an invoice, bill, or statement of account due unless it conspicuously bears a notice on its face that it is, in fact, merely a solicitation. This disclaimer must be in very large (at least 30-point) type and must be in boldface capital letters in a color that contrasts prominently with the background against which it appears.

The disclaimer must not be modified, qualified, or explained, such as with the phrase "Legal notice required by law." It must be the one prescribed in the statute, or alternatively, the following notice prescribed by the U.S. Postal Service: THIS IS NOT A BILL. THIS IS A SOLICITATION. YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO PAY THE AMOUNT STATED ABOVE UNLESS YOU ACCEPT THIS OFFER.
The RNC mailers that have been republished by various outlets do not appear to contain this information. I reached out to the RNC for comment on both the strategy itself and the legality of it, and will update this post if they respond.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 10:48:59  
Does any evidence exists at all that the RNC are actually the ones doing this?

I know I can make an envelope say w/e I want and send it successfully through the mail.

GOD
Cloud 9
Up Above Avenue

Your time is up.

Chanti
First page
ffxiah.com

Drop it in the mail. It arrives 3 days later. Zero chance it is traced back to the source.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-14 12:58:20  
It's from Slate. It's probably that Slate set this up to make a story out of it.

Professional Integrity went out the door with that website. Which is appropriate for this thread.
[+]
First Page 2