The Official BGWiki Thread!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » The Official BGWiki Thread!
The Official BGWiki Thread!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-10-24 14:47:52  
We have failed to update this thread, so here is September and October!

Quote:
September

Another month or so has gone by so it is a time for shout outs and a list of notable changes.

As always, a big thank you to the many contributors, and a welcome to the newer editors that have recently joined the fold. If you feel like chipping in don't puss out, we want you to come help.

I also don't feel like taking a bunch of screenshots of random things on the wiki this month so just enjoy a picture of our official unofficial mascot:

Whitey is hungry for your edits! Come feed this poor starving cat. Don't make a little cat cry.

Wiki Changes

• Funkworkz carried out the monthly update as per usual for the site. All pages related to it were filled in.

• In the face of a few spam attacks this and last month. A new policy was created for new accounts requiring a two hour cool down before their first edit on the wiki. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam bots were ridiculous. All the more reason to make your account today in case you want to edit in the future though!

• Korino updated ZM mission pages with tables, information, etc.

• The Walk of Echoes Weapons page was updated. Again!

• Tuknaput added several missing monster pages and information for monsters in Escha RuAun to the wiki.

• Arislan updated the enhancing magic category page.

• Wheeldog, Miang, ‎Nyarlko, and ……… updated guild point items.

• Loona edited a couple of category tags. Thanks Loona.

• Korino uploaded some pictures and the Sinister Reign NM pages.

• Ligray added the new synths from last update to the wiki.

• Vanaversary related items such as RoE objectives and the Chicken Knife along with subsequent NMs were added.

• The trust page was updated aesthetically. Cornellia was added, and the wall of text on the page was broken up.

• Ambuscade was updated for the new fights, and other information was improved and cross referenced via transclusion.

• Now that the secret is out. Funk has been working on The History of FFXI for the past couple of months. Expect him to be working on it for the rest of his miserable existence. As he digs up information buried over a decade and a half ago through Google.

• The typical wiki updates in the month such as page info for random items and so on.

Guide Changes

• Minor Updates to Out of the BLU, Adoulin Ring selection added.

• Vyy added to the DNC community collaborative guide. Including a link to the DPS calculator.

Quote:
October

Another month in review. We would like to thank all the editors and contributors, both old and brand new.

Whitey also wants you to paint him like one of your French girls.

Wiki Changes
  • Funkworkz carried out the monthly update as per usual for the site. All pages related to it were filled in.

• The ambuscade rewards were added to the rewards page, and information for Vol 1 was added to the ambuscade page.

• We never get vol 2 information, so if anyone wants to add info to it then that would be great.

• Korino added a bunch of Blue Mage spell acquisition info because I suck. Thank you for that, Korino.

• Dasva helped update the Resist page.

• Goat helped add information to the Trust page.

• K0NIG helped update missions pages.

• Funkworkz continued building the THe History of Final Fantasy XI page which grew to be the largest article on the wiki after only covering 2000-2005. It has now been split up by year because it simply was going to be too massive and resource demanding. 2004 and 2005 were added in the months of September and October, so be sure to go back and check it out if you haven't read through those years. Join the discussion page here if you wish to contribute and do not know how to edit.

• The WSNM page (which was mostly empty) as well as the Map page, and other various pages related to the Quickstart 1-119 Guide were updated as part of the guide’s development.

• Funkworkz has been working to update the Furnishing category, and associated pages/key items. This has been a ton of furnishings. These are now labeled in the Category:Need Appearance in case anyone wants to take pictures of them and upload them to the wiki. The remaining furnishings should be done by the end of the month.

• Boogers, Danallen, IBHalliwell, Ligray, Lilchemist, Niamor, Nyarlko, Pockettaru, Sigilbaram, Victimofffxibg, Wizdro, and Zackily helped add or update various types of information to the wiki. Thank you.

Guide Changes
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [501 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2019-03-09 19:33:03  
We are proud to announce that we have a cool new Template:User Page. This fancy thing-a-ma-bob allows you to design your own semi-flexible user page!
While it may seem daunting, all it really takes is typing something in or copy pasting one of the existing (and expanding) User Page Templates into a |field= entry.
While this may not be for everyone and some may merely wish to use or create a Checklist (Trust Checklist, or REMA progression checklist for example), it allows BG users to build their own profiles. Simply copy, paste, and go.

If you lack an account to BG, simply Register, wait a couple hours for the anti-spam/anti-bot cooldown to pass, log in, click your name in the top right, and copy paste/edit away.

Note: If you wish to see what a completed userpage template looks like, check out Spicy's page here. The template starts where you can see his character model image.

If you need any help, feel free to reach out to me on here with a pm or reply, or join the BG Discord.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [414 days between previous and next post]
By Draylo 2020-04-26 17:44:01  
So I noticed that Spicy was banned from it? I don't know any of the drama behind it, but I did see he was one of the only people actively editing and updating things there. Considering its one of the last resources left to this game and it has a big reliance on wiki type resources, what happens now? Do you still have people actively working on it, or do you need more people to contribute in different ways?

Most people take it for granted, but theres like a handful of people who actively work for things on this game and for the community. Most of them don't even care about XI in all honesty or use it as a small income source. If we slowly lose things like this, does anyone wonder what we do without wikis or addons etc? The dark ages as we dwindle into nothingness.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-26 17:53:10  
lol. only took a second to see what happened there.

Spicy and Corey were going back and forth calling odyssey mobs "trash mobs" and "foes". Looks like someone lost that battle.
By Pantafernando 2020-04-26 17:58:21  
Is that the reason of the ban?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-04-26 18:55:37  
Draylo said: »
So I noticed that Spicy was banned from it? I don't know any of the drama behind it, but I did see he was one of the only people actively editing and updating things there. Considering its one of the last resources left to this game and it has a big reliance on wiki type resources, what happens now? Do you still have people actively working on it, or do you need more people to contribute in different ways?

It has always been nice to have people helping. I've been mostly distracted with ff7r, but almost done with platinum.

One day, with no explanation, he decided to go through discord and delete every single one of his messages back to the beginning of the bg discord. Same with PMs. No explanation to this day. Must have taken him hours. He didn't talk to any of us since then, which was a couple months ago. The only communication has been in his passive aggressive edit comments. His messages were good searching resources for things we discussed in the past about editing.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2020-04-26 19:01:05  
Caerda said: »
BG Wiki is trash anyways, good riddance if it disappears. Not much for new info on it. Half the crafting stuff is mia and so forth.

Why not edit it and help it get better if it's so bad? That's the purpose of it. No point being so negative towards a free service provided by people's free time to make your life easier.

Crafting stuff will almost always be missing. They don't want to edit the info to keep it to themselves.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-04-26 19:11:46  
I don't see how its trash, they did a really nice job. Stuff like that makes nobody want to work on anything for the community. Too many *** and trolls that diminish any work these do with posts like that.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-04-26 19:27:08  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Corey
I am legit triggered by this.

But what Funk summed up was the by and large of it.
By clearlyamule 2020-04-26 19:58:55  
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »

It has always been nice to have people helping. I've been mostly distracted with ff7r, but almost done with platinum.

One day, with no explanation, he decided to go through discord and delete every single one of his messages back to the beginning of the bg discord. Same with PMs. No explanation to this day. Must have taken him hours. He didn't talk to any of us since then, which was a couple months ago. The only communication has been in his passive aggressive edit comments. His messages were good searching resources for things we discussed in the past about editing.
Oh sweet I might get back to working on testing/editing some stuff. Part of what turned me off was him keeping on rediting stuff I added that I had myself tested lol
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-04-27 09:09:45  

All he did was change trash to foes, that was the extent of his "passive aggressive edits"

He has been trying to get rid of all his shitposting and be done with it, which is why he has been asking even ffxiah to erase his account but they ignore him - you have never reached out to spicy, why is it his obligation to initiate? I'm glad he was banned, now he can't waste his time on people that don't appreciate his work
By Pantafernando 2020-04-27 09:26:19  
If he had that much time free to do such silly change, i guess he will seriously miss editing BG, and maybe his banning should be reconsidered.
By Mattelot 2020-04-27 09:33:35  
Asura.Carrotchan said: »

All he did was change trash to foes, that was the extent of his "passive aggressive edits"

He has been trying to get rid of all his shitposting and be done with it, which is why he has been asking even ffxiah to erase his account but they ignore him - you have never reached out to spicy, why is it his obligation to initiate? I'm glad he was banned, now he can't waste his time on people that don't appreciate his work

Spicy was banned?

EDIT: Hmmm... apparently so. I wonder why.

I appreciated his guide. It was a great reference for information. I think it could have done without some of the condescending remarks but I guess the pros outweigh the cons.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2020-04-27 10:53:06  
Banning someone for something so minor as cleaning up slang on a wiki entry is pretty shitty, no matter who it is.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-04-27 10:57:16  
Most likely he should have step in some mod toes, them said mod pulled ***reason to ban him
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-04-27 10:58:26  
Theres more to it than just "editing slang words"...
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2020-04-27 11:01:43  
Look, i know spicy is more emo than staying at home on prom night listening to my chemical romance, but a shitty reason to boot someone you don't like is still shitty. Let the *** edit in peace and don't be petty *** for no reason maybe?
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-04-27 11:05:59  
wait, there are still ppl reading the BGwiki forum?
it is a shitty reason to ban someone, mod privileges typically attract folks who'll abuse those privileges.
however he had a reputation making condescending comments and passive agressive behaviour and he expected ppl to put up with it because he edits the wiki. maybe just the tip of the iceberg?
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-04-27 11:23:40  
Asura.Frod said: »
a shitty reason to boot someone you don't like is still shitty. Let the *** edit in peace and don't be petty *** for no reason maybe?

All of this could have been avoided if he reached out to us to discuss this edit discrepancy via Discord. This is how we have handled this type of situation MANY times in the past, a simple majority vote on how a page should be handled. Instead he decides to constantly revert edits with little reasoning other than he didn't like the term trash mobs.

Ragns is the one who banned him, not only for this reason. Call it the icing on the cake. He is the funder of BG for the difference when the annual rafflecopter does not generate enough income to support the website traffic. That being said, he can do what he wants, and even nuke the whole site tomorrow if he wishes.

I honestly would like Spicy to come back to Discord. Like how it was pre November 2019 when he started this emo trip by removing his own name from the Admin list with absolutely zero heads up or reasoning to any of us.

Whether the community hates him or not, it is no lie that he has done a lot for bgwiki. His dedication put him right in the top 10 all-time contributors list, hands down.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-04-27 11:31:01  
Is that the required/documented way to handle it or simply "just the way we've done things"?
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-04-27 11:34:54  
Is there any FFXI related media that he isnt banned?

Maybe reddit?
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-04-27 11:35:13  
Asura.Frod said: »
a shitty reason to boot someone you don't like is still shitty. Let the *** edit in peace and don't be petty *** for no reason maybe?

All of this could have been avoided if he reached out to us to discuss this edit discrepancy via Discord. This is how we have handled this type of situation MANY times in the past, a simple majority vote on how a page should be handled. Instead he decides to constantly revert edits with little reasoning other than he didn't like the term trash mobs.

Ragns is the one who banned him, not only for this reason. Call it the icing on the cake. He is the funder of BG for the difference when the annual rafflecopter does not generate enough income to support the website traffic. That being said, he can do what he wants, and even nuke the whole site tomorrow if he wishes.

I honestly would like Spicy to come back to Discord. Like how it was pre November 2019 when he started this emo trip by removing his own name from the Admin list with absolutely zero heads up or reasoning to any of us.

Whether the community hates him or not, it is no lie that he has done a lot for bgwiki. His dedication put him right in the top 10 all-time contributors list, hands down.

That's how it always boils down, doesn't it? everything could have been avoided if someone reached out, I'm sure it would have turned out to be sunshine and rainbows

Speaking of trash, give me a break funk, some colleagues you and fae turned out to be
By Foxfire 2020-04-27 11:43:35  
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-04-27 11:44:09  
Asura.Carrotchan said: »
That's how it always boils down, doesn't it? everything could have been avoided if someone reached out

That's why I asked the question. If there was a documented requirement that he chose not to follow, especially more than once, that's one thing. If it's just a "this is just how we've always done things" then you can't really justify banning him.
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-04-27 11:44:21  
Mattelot said: »
Is that the required/documented way to handle it or simply "just the way we've done things"?

This is how things are handled
By Mattelot 2020-04-27 11:47:31  
I really hope the person whos name you scratched out wasn't an admin of any kind. If so, that's not the kind of composure one should be exuding.
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-04-27 11:53:56  
FYI I reached out to have this thread locked or deleted hours ago, if I do any more reaching out, I think my arm is going to break

and yes, you could call that person a bgwiki "admin"
By Shichishito 2020-04-27 12:07:23  
1111 posts, cg.
and what a way to celebrate it.
[+]
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2020-04-27 12:07:38  
All of this could have been avoided if he reached out to us to discuss this edit discrepancy via Discord. This is how we have handled this type of situation MANY times in the past, a simple majority vote on how a page should be handled.

Relevant story. In the early days of bgwiki, I got into a conflict like this. Someone was radically changing the template/tables used for certain types of pages into an inefficient mess, and applying it to everything in that category.

I started a thread to discuss it. Responders universally agreed the original version was better. The thread was deleted, and I was told bgwiki wasn't a democracy or popularity contest. The someone in question was an administrator, and I was only a moderator or w/e.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9