フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Dark knight help~
Dark knight help~
First Page 2
 Kujata.Malicfayt
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-09-05 02:26:45  
OK SO, Been looking at the Rose strap and all, thinking to myself.
~boy.... i should have paid attention to all that crap about store TP in LS chat and on forums~ I recently read a thread on here about 1337 wars or whatever and that actually brought my attention to the rose strap...

SO! Now i am interested. I'm an Upcoming Drk, im lv 66 I do have Raja's if that helps any. In terms of Store TP gear what should i be wearing for a whatever hit build? is it a 5 hit build? 6 hit? Does this mean i have to be subing samurai for any of this crap to matter? Can i pull off a different sub job and still get a w/e hit build?

Forgive my ignorance of the matter. Up until now i've only had to design gear setups with 1 handed weapon users besides my summoner which doesn't exactly count...

However! I'm pretty creative so i leveled Sam for a smn/sam experiment which was pretty friggin sweet btw! so uhh yea i got /sam haha.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-09-05 02:35:21  
off topic, what do you use smn/sam for?
 Kujata.Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-09-05 02:43:30  
Well its just a fun solo. Spirit taker lots of things for MP, and pretty much keep Garuda out full time.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-05 03:04:14  
Off topic, but I leveled my SAM to 37 before I had WAR75! Yup, I wanted to do PLD/SAM with my latent broken Subduer capped GS on PLD. Drk still lvl 1 lol! /sam is fun on a lot of jobs.

I'm still learning about the importance of sTP too, gonna save up some AN to get a rose strap too.

This is only speculation, but I hear /drg is good for DRK. ACC bonus and some jumping can't hurt.
[+]
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
サーバ: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-09-05 03:13:09  
Actually answering OPs question:

Generally the goal is a 6hit build on 2 handers, you either need /sam or so much STP gear that it's not even worth it (so /sam onry)

To work out how much store TP you need for x-hit builds, use this website: http://evileden.com/tp/index.php
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 03:19:41  
It depends entirely on the weapon you're using. If you're using Perdu Sickle, Moliones's Sickle etc with 501 delay, Rose Strap+Rajas is necessary to hold a 6-hit build unless you have Askar Body and Brutal Earring and Ecphoria ring to make up the Store TP. Otherwise, you have to rely on all four hits of Guillotine landing to keep your 6 hit.

That being said, if you're using a full delay Scythe, meaning 528, you only need to get a total of 1 sTP to maintain a 6-hit build. And even then, it's not necessary really because as long as two hits of Guillotine land, you're still good to go.

If you're using a GS with 444 Delay (Subduer for example) and want to even keep a 7-hit build, you need Rose Strap, Chiv Chain, Brutal Earring, Rajas, and Ecphoria Ring. A 6-hit build is impossible with that GS.

If you're using Algol (489 delay), you have to use all of the same gear and can maintain a 6-hit.

If you're using a normal 480 delay GS, you have to have Rose Strap, Chiv Chain, Brutal Earring, Rajas Ring, Ecphoria Ring AND Askar Body to maintain a 6 hit.

For Naglering (501 delay) see line one of the scythes.

If I missed anything, feel free to speak up.
[+]
 Kujata.Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-09-05 03:52:26  
Oh! That info really helps me out a bunch. I was somehow under the impression a much less amount of Store TP was needed so i thought maybe /sam wasn't necessary haha.

Thanks again for the help =)
 Asura.Kurtdcobain
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kurtdcobain 2009-09-05 04:04:01  
I use http://www.ffxicalculator.com to figure out this sort of thing. It's also useful because you can calculate how much store-tp you'll need when you're not /sam, and a lot of the time you won't be e.g. nyzul isle or einherjar.

Basically, however many hits you have to do to get 100% tp with whatever weapon you are using naturally, you want to equip store-tp gear till it's one less than that.

Personally I find that having a 6-hit build isn't quite as important on DRK due to absorb-tp. Also if you are using scythe, don't get too worried about being 1 store-tp away from a 6 hit build, as (I'd hope) you can hit at least 2 hits out of 4 on guillotine.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 04:13:52  
Naturally when you are "DD/Not SAM" you will get to 100TP+ in 8 swings.

If you are DD/SAM you will get to 100TP+ in 7 swings.

Your aim is to take that down to 7 and 6 respectively. In terms of damage a 6hit build when /SAM is the best, but obviously /SAM isn't always viable, so it is important to have a 7 hit build for those occassions when you can't sub sam.

DRK is able to cheat a bit, with 528 delay scythes you are able to reach a 7 hit build when not subbing sam with 0 sTP! And if you sub sam you instantly have a 6 hit! So no maths required.

But ideally you should be using a faster weapon (perdu, moli, Apoc) to get to 100TP faster. Then you need to worry about sTP calculations.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 04:25:37  
Argettio said:
And if you sub sam you instantly have a 6 hit!

You actually need 1 sTP to get a 6-hit but technically since all of the good Scythe WSs are multihit, you'd have a 6 hit if more than one WS hit landed.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-05 04:56:48  
501 Scythe with /sam, Rajas and Brutal will maintain 6hit provided 3/4+ hits of Guillotine land (18+ TP return).
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 05:00:11  
Raenryong said:
501 Scythe with /sam, Rajas and Brutal will maintain 6hit provided 3/4+ hits of Guillotine land (18+ TP return).

RaenWRONG

Oh. Wait. Yeah that's right.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-09-05 05:38:13  

This is only speculation, but I hear /drg is good for DRK. ACC bonus and some jumping can't hurt.[/quote]
Chaosx said:
Off topic, but I leveled my SAM to 37 before I had WAR75! Yup, I wanted to do PLD/SAM with my latent broken Subduer capped GS on PLD. Drk still lvl 1 lol! /sam is fun on a lot of jobs.

I'm still learning about the importance of sTP too, gonna save up some AN to get a rose strap too.

This is only speculation, but I hear /drg is good for DRK. ACC bonus and some jumping can't hurt.

No, /drg is NOT good for DRK... which retard came up with that...
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-09-05 05:39:40  
Enternius said:
RaenWRONG

Oh. Wait. Yeah that's right.

That was unashamedly stolen from my ffxiah page!!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-05 05:59:53  
Sagittario said:
(not using the /quote function correctly)

Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 06:15:13  
Quote:
Sagittario said:

Chaosx said:

/DRG is the best sub for any DD from 30 to around 55-60 if you have the earring.

/DRG is one of the best sub for DRK while zerging, but offers no protection but the best damage.

/DRG is not useful for exp or 'normal' events but it is far from HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 06:17:22  
Argettio said:
/DRG is the best sub for DRK while zerging, but offers no protection but the best damage.

It depends largely on what weapon you use to zerg.

DRK/SAM with Apoc is already capped on both Haste and ACC for the most part, so both the ACC bonus and the Haste Earring would be a waste.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 06:26:36  
Enternius said:
Argettio said:
/DRG is the best sub for DRK while zerging, but offers no protection but the best damage.

DRK/SAM with Apoc is already capped on both Haste and ACC for the most part, so both the ACC bonus and the Haste Earring would be a waste.

If you zerging 'properly' you won't be using a 2 handed weapon (Apoc or otherwise).

The top 3 zerg weapons are all 1 handed and one of them is easily available (m.kris). But yes if you are 2 handed zerging then SAM + Desperate bows = win
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
サーバ: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-09-05 06:27:37  
Enternius said:
Argettio said:

And for pretty much every other weapon in the game that earring beats another HP earring.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-05 06:29:22  
Argettio said:

/DRG is the best sub for any DD from 30 to around 55-60 if you have the earring.

/DRG is one of the best sub for DRK while zerging, but offers no protection but the best damage.

/DRG is not useful for exp or 'normal' events but it is far from HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Thank you for translating advice I was given almost a year ago that I forgot the specifics too.

Basically, someone told me while I was leveling WAR, when I was around lvl 40ish, that if I'm using a 2-handed weapon, drg would be a helpful sub until I could use gears that would provide acc.

At the time I was still dual wielding, so I waited until my WAR was around 60 to take out the GA and cap it. But the advice made sense. Use a sub that provides acc bonus when using a 2handed weapon until you can use acc gears.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 06:30:11  
Sadly, part of a good zerg build is the ability to actually hit mobs, so you can take Merc. Kris off that list from the start. Top 3 are Apocalypse, then Kraken Club, then Bahamut's Zaghnal.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 06:32:48  
Chaosx said:
Argettio said:

Thank you for translating advice I was given almost a year ago that I forgot the specifics too.

Basically, someone told me while I was leveling WAR, when I was around lvl 40ish, that if I'm using a 2-handed weapon, drg would be a helpful sub until I could use gears that would provide acc.

At the time I was still dual wielding, so I waited until my WAR was around 60 to take out the GA and cap it. But the advice made sense. Use a sub that provides acc bonus when using a 2handed weapon until you can use acc gears.

It is less about the acc and more about this godly earring.

Without that earring /DRG isn't that useful at all.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 06:34:12  
Enternius said:
Sadly, part of a good zerg build is the ability to actually hit mobs, so you can take Merc. Kris off that list from the start. Top 3 are Apocalypse, then Kraken Club, then Bahamut's Zaghnal.

If you are zerging without Soul voice Acc song (x2) and Feint then you are doing it wrong.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-05 06:36:23  
I don't mean to state the obvious, but the only difference between a Kclub full ACC build and an Apoc full HP/Haste build are that Apoc is more accurate and hits harder.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 06:40:11  
Enternius said:
I don't mean to state the obvious, but the only difference between a Kclub full ACC build and an Apoc full HP/Haste build are that Apoc is more accurate and hits harder.

I don't mean to state the obvious, but with all those buffs you don't need a full ACC build on your KC, mkris, ridil
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-05 06:41:22  
Argettio said:
Chaosx said:
Argettio said:

It is less about the acc and more about this godly earring.

Without that earring /DRG isn't that useful at all.

Forgot about the earring too. It was so long ago, lol. Plus I didn't go that route anyway, but yeah that's what a few people were trying to get me to understand back then.

Edit: I remember that earring being only around 100k too. Now it's like 500k!

2nd Edit: There was an emphasis to save your jump for right after you would weapon skill too. But I went the /nin route.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-09-05 07:46:58  
Argettio said:
If you are zerging without Soul voice Acc song (x2) and Feint then you are doing it wrong.

You're overestimating the power of SV Madrigal. With SV Mad x2 you're not even capping accuracy on a Greater Colibri with M Kris. Feint however will cap your acc on just about anything but it's effect decreases over time until it wears off so the longer the mob lives the lower your acc goes.
 Caitsith.Xiong
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-09-05 08:22:31  
I don't think Eternius has seriously zerged anything. After the haste cap, new order would in terms of dmg KC > MK > Ridill/Apoc? > B Zag.

What gets me is how he said KC, but not MK, on DRK we have a higher dagger skill than club even...

P.S. As Argettio said, you should have SV madrigal, Feint, if you're seriously zerging something that needs to be zerged. Take a look at my Zerg build, I'm least worried about my ACC + equipment, its more HP/Haste.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-05 08:33:39  
Baelorn said:
Argettio said:

You're overestimating the power of SV Madrigal. With SV Mad x2 you're not even capping accuracy on a Greater Colibri with M Kris. Feint however will cap your acc on just about anything but it's effect decreases over time until it wears off so the longer the mob lives the lower your acc goes.

I said AND, sure 2 SV madrigals is ~90-100 accuracy; but combined with feint means you will have a decent hit rate.

If you are zerging in the first place, it is because the mob needs to die in less than 30seconds (due to some horrible AOE probably) so, if you are doing it right, then m.kris is a viable weapon.

In impromtu zerg when you don't have the support or time to plan to make a 1 handed weapon work then you are right.
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-09-05 09:33:58  
I never used it on DRK, but /DRG was excellent for both WAR and SAM from 30-50. With the Wyvern Earring and Wyvern Mantle, combined with Jump and Attack Bonus, and you have a killer DD subjob.

However, it provides no native protection, and I found out in Crawler's Nest that opening up a fight with a 250-300 dmg Double Attack Jump is not necessarily good for your health. I wouldn't recommend using it unless you have a PLD tank, or a damn good NIN.

Not sure about DRK Polearm skills, but I know that I also used the Lance Belt also on WAR/DRG and SAM/DRG while in the Citadel and was wreaking holy terror on the bats there.

After 50, /WAR starts to pull away, and after 60, you have /SAM and dare I say it, you could even /THF, although most people don't in EXP settings.
First Page 2