Obama Signs No Child Left Behind Rewrite Into Law

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Obama signs No Child Left Behind rewrite into law
Obama signs No Child Left Behind rewrite into law
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-11 09:36:44  
Quote:
Obama signs No Child Left Behind rewrite into law

WASHINGTON — President Obama reversed course on federal education policy Thursday, signing a bill to curtail the federal government's role in education from Kindergarten through high school and instead allow states to set their own standards.

Calling the bipartisan Every Student Succeeds Act "a Christmas miracle," Obama said the law would give states more flexibility in raising student achievement while maintaining a federal role for ensuring that all students have the opportunity to get a quality education.

The new law is a turnaround from 14 years of federally directed education policy that began with President George W. Bush's signing of the equally bipartisan No Child Left Behind Act, an effort to raise performance through an emphasis on standards, testing and accountability.

But No Child Left Behind soon became known for its excesses, which enforced a teach-to-the-test philosophy and produced sometimes punishing consequences for low-performing schools.

The new law expressly prohibits the Education Department from imposing the Common Core model, which wasn't required by No Child Left Behind but often encouraged through a series of federal waivers to the law's other requirements.

Obama said the goals of No Child Left Behind were the right ones, but that its "cookie cutter" approach to standards didn't always achieve results. And he didn't apologize for how Education Secretary Arne Duncan implemented it. "Sometimes, in the nicest possible way, he's gotten on people's nerves because he's pushed them and prodded them," Obama said. "Had he not been, I believe, as tenacious as he was, we wouldn’t have had such a good product here today."

The Every Student Succeeds Act does keep some federal mandates. It requires schools to test 95% of students every year from the third through eighth grades, and again in high school. It requires schools to report those test scores for minority groups to ensure they're closing the achievement gaps. And it requires states to step in if a school falls into the bottom 5%, graduated less than 67% of students, or if subgroups are persistently falling behind.

The bill received broad bipartisan support, with the final version passing the Senate 85-12 and the House 359-64.

Source
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-11 09:37:12  
Quote:
Politicians have traditionally hidden behind 3 things: the flag, the bible, and children – no child left behind, no child left behind.

Oh, really it wasn’t to long you were talking about giving children a head start. Head start – left behind, someone’s losing ****ing ground here. - George Carlin 2005
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-11 09:37:50  
Should be rewritten to Every Student Left with Debt !
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 09:38:43  
fonewear said: »
Should be rewritten to Every Student Left with Debt !

Apparently.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-11 09:40:43  
So he basically nullifies a bad law? Good.

I agree with the premise of education standards (especially since it's in our best interests as a nation) but the implementation of that was horrible. Common core is also fundamentally stupid.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-11 09:43:34  
I thought common core was an ab exercise...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 09:45:54  
I thought common core was an ab exercise...

I thought fonewear was a bedazzled leather case for a tracphone.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-11 09:58:59  
Needs more abaci.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 09:59:10  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Wow massive cultural shock. Never seen common core math before, what the hell is this ***.

It's simplifying math so far that you've gone full circle into making it far, far harder than need be.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-11 10:03:35  
Wow massive cultural shock. Never seen common core math before, what the hell is this ***.

There's some examples that can make sense, and it depends on the person (as there's different ways to come up with the same answer, as long as they're mathematically equivilant).

However generally it's just sheer stupidity, especially when they say "no, this way, or you fail."
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 10:07:59  
Jetackuu said: »
, especially when they say "no, this way, or you fail."

This is the kicker for me.
By fonewear 2015-12-11 10:13:48  
"I don't wanna teach and my kids don't wanna learn we get along just fine !"
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 10:15:11  
"I don't wanna teach and my kids don't wanna learn we get along just fine !"

Thanks for your input, Bible Belt, but the rest of us would like to move forward as a country.
By fonewear 2015-12-11 10:16:28  
Move forward what is that an Obama slogan ?

Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-11 10:21:29  
Jetackuu said: »

There's some examples that can make sense, and it depends on the person (as there's different ways to come up with the same answer, as long as they're mathematically equivilant).

However generally it's just sheer stupidity, especially when they say "no, this way, or you fail."

sadly, thats how it is to. There way or your wrong. Seen ppl get 0's on math papers for doing it a different way (maybe the way there parents taught them) even tho they did it correctly and got the right answers.

It was one thing in my day when they said 'show your work' or fail. I can see the point behind that. But this 'my way or your wrong' stuff is insane.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-11 10:27:31  
From the way you guys describe it, it seems to be more an exercise of obedience than a learning experience.

More fascism at 10.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-12-11 10:29:02  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
From the way you guys describe it, it seems to be more an exercise of obedience than a learning experience.

More fascism at 10.

welcome to American indoctrination centers schools.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-11 10:33:36  

Product of government getting involved with education.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-11 10:40:25  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

More fascism at 10.

You should pick through a recent Student Code of Conduct book. Pick a district and just go for it. Some of the rules regarding behavior are very authoritarian and far removed from what you would find in the 1990's very early 2000's.

Curiosity hit me when picking up my nephew for a weekend. Asked a few friends who teach if some of these regulations were commonplace now. Glanced at different districts with very defined socio-economic statuses.

EDIT: Just a recommendation, but anyone in the US who actually had to thumb through their Student Code of Conduct books at least once should read their former schools' new books, especially if you're in a red state.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-12-11 10:43:41  
Ah this is reminding me of my high school math class.

Right answer? Yes. Show your work? No. FAILURE!

Right answer? Yes. Show your work? Yes. Fold your paper to fit into your pocket to carry it home? Yes. FAILURE!

Right Answer? *** you, I'm making a paper airplane! FAILURE!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-11 10:45:54  
Obama finally got rid of one holdover from W's administration.

One....
By fonewear 2015-12-11 10:47:25  
As a childless person this doesn't interest me ! But you teach little Johnny Math he needs it.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-11 10:47:34  
Common Core Math sucks, the rest of it is fundamental. I'm all for ditching the one-size-fits-all model of education, but there absolutely HAVE to be standards in curriculum and competency or America will never keep up with the rest of the world. We've already lost way too much ground in the participation award generations.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-11 10:49:08  

Product of government getting involved with education.

Product of Education being treated like business. Which is basically the same thing given business' control of government, I guess.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-11 10:53:58  
Jassik said: »
Common Core Math sucks, the rest of it is fundamental. I'm all for ditching the one-size-fits-all model of education, but there absolutely HAVE to be standards in curriculum and competency or America will never keep up with the rest of the world. We've already lost way too much ground in the participation award generations.
We've been behind from the start. Way before the past few decades.
By Ackeron 2015-12-11 10:55:33  
Gotta admit though school showed you exactly where it was like to be an adult now.

Go to school - Go to work
Listen to teacher - Listen to boss
Work with other kids - Work with coworkers
Do homework - Do bills
Get a report card - Get a pay check
Get expelled - Get fired

Being an adult is almost just like being a kid now days! Only difference is not being told you are a super special snowflake.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-11 10:56:28  
Ackeron said: »
Only difference is not being told you are a super special snowflake.

Bull, I get that weekly :P
[+]

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5