フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » SCH vs. BLM
SCH vs. BLM
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11
 Unicorn.Boyaci
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2009-09-03 13:37:58  
I'd like to read some reasons why you believe SCH is superior to BLM, or vice-versa as I decide which to take to 75.

My current 75s are PLD WHM RDM DRK THF RNG. What do you feel would best compliment these jobs?
[+]
 Valefor.Lilbusta
サーバ: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-09-03 13:44:25
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

/sigh

This was discussed in the last BLM "QQ" thread.

Here

can't say for sure this is the right one but it has a bit of the bickering about it. Just do a search for the Job Updates from July.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 13:46:30  
I think everyone knows the basics. If you're a pure e-peen person, and want to get the highest possible nukes, you go BLM.

If you want to be extremely MP efficient and not only be an expert at a BLM's job, but also at a WHM's job, you go SCH.

The truth is, a NAKED SCH has better MP efficiency for nukes than a fully geared BLM (Meaning higher Damage/MP ratio), and can main heal/erase debuffs at a better rate, and have them AoE once every minute as opposed to every 10 minutes on SCH.

Basically, BLM will nuke harder, but SCH will nuke faster, more efficiently, and look a lot better doing it.
[+]
 Unicorn.Motokosun
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-03 13:46:41  
Boyaci said:
I'd like to read some reasons why you believe SCH is superior to BLM, or vice-versa as I decide which to take to 75.

My current 75s are PLD WHM RDM DRK THF RNG. What do you feel would best compliment these jobs?

Blm will always be superior, not in every category, but overall.

Blm is win.
[+]
 Unicorn.Mattchew
By Unicorn.Mattchew 2009-09-03 13:53:02  
Enternius said:
I think everyone knows the basics. If you're a pure e-peen person, and want to get the highest possible nukes, you go BLM.

If you want to be extremely MP efficient and not only be an expert at a BLM's job, but also at a WHM's job, you go SCH.

The truth is, a NAKED SCH has better MP efficiency for nukes than a fully geared BLM (Meaning higher Damage/MP ratio), and can main heal/erase debuffs at a better rate, and have them AoE once every minute as opposed to every 10 minutes on SCH.

Basically, BLM will nuke harder, but SCH will nuke faster, more efficiently, and look a lot better doing it.

I've never come across anything OTHER then xp/merit where a sch wins a blm in overall added success to fight. Please list for me as i am curious as to how/when/where/what sch wins a blm.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 14:02:04  
Well let's take it this way. Pros BLM vs. SCH.

BLM:
-AMII spells.
-Um...
-Hm...

SCH:
-Guaranteed -10% MP cost and cast time through Dark Arts
-Guaranteed additional 10% potency from weather Spell+Obi
-Guaranteed additional 10% potency AND 7 INT from hailstorm+Hyorin Obi
-JA that gives +20% potency every 1 minute
-JA that gives -50% MP cost every 1 minute
-JA that gives -50% cast time and recast every 1 minute
-JA that makes spells like Gravity, Sleep, Bind, Paralyze etc AoE, every 1 minute
-Access to damn near all WHM spells, making the /RDM vs. /WHM debate completely moot
-One of the best sets of both Artifact and Relic armor in the game
-Reraise II...Come on...
-Sublimation? It's better than Refresh.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-03 14:07:42  
To Entern's point, unless you specifically need BLM's heavy nukes to dispatch things quicker than you could with SCH it doesn't make a lot of sense to pick over SCH. SCH is capable of filling more roles and will actually get exp invites all the way to 75 as well as merits in both mana-burn and TP burn, PLUS ..it looks sexy in both AF and relic. No one envies BLM's clown pants. lol
[+]
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-03 14:22:49  
i would aggree with sch winning in alot of circumstances if they never went into whm mode, cause if a blm is playing blm they dont use any whm spells, except stoneskin and blink. But ive yet to see one go purely darkmage mode. But if they did, ok thats not bad for fights that are not zerg or fast kill.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-03 14:32:34  
Jesus *** Christ on a pogo stick, this ***again?

BLM has higher damage per nuke and Stun. SCH has MP efficiency. Utilize whichever is more appropriate for the given situation. Other benefits included but not mentioned, see above.

Lock thread please.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rydiya
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-09-03 14:34:02  
Boyaci said:
I'd like to read some reasons why you believe SCH is superior to BLM

SCHOLAR IS NOT SUPERIOR.
Perhaps in MP with Damage over time, however, a Scholar cannot match the raw power of a BLM, and the four stratagem maximum is a severe limitation.

Black Mage is still superior in many other ways.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 14:37:25  
Rydiya said:
SCHOLAR IS NOT SUPERIOR.
Perhaps in MP with Damage over time, however, a Scholar cannot match the raw power of a BLM

Enternius said:

Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-03 14:49:06  
Enternius said:

BLM:
-AMII spells.
-Um...
-Hm...

SCH:
-JA that makes spells like Gravity, Sleep, Bind, Paralyze etc AoE, every 1 minute
-Access to damn near all WHM spells, making the /RDM vs. /WHM debate completely moot
-Reraise II...Come on...

Funny story blm/sch gets most of that too... while being able to nuke much harder on the same spell.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-03 14:50:03  
Alyssah said:
I'm 75 SCH and BLM.
I say SCH, with the right INT gear and Elemental Skill + gear you can easily outDD a BLM and ontop of that you have sublimation parsimony Ebbuliance and all that stuff.
I would say SCH for sure.
Much easier to take to 75 too.
You also have great buffs and everything.
So sch.

Easier to take to 75? Guess you weren't 1 hitting pets solo on blm lvling it...
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 14:51:30  
Dasva said:

Even in best-case-scenario situations, Pet-nuking will only net you about 6-8k. The only BLMs really even do it is because they can't get exp any other way.
 Valefor.Marylyn
user: Marylyn
By Valefor.Marylyn 2009-09-03 14:51:34  
I have both Sch and Blm as well. I easily outnuke most well geared blms and it's easier to do so on sch then on blm. Only 3 things Blm has over sch~ AMII, -gas(nukes), & stun. Thing w/ Sch is that when played, it's usually more efficient to do more then just nuke such as aoe buffs etc so really it's never a 100% dark arts job unless you're soloing.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 14:52:43  
Marylyn said:
unless you're soloing.

And SCH can even do that better. c.c
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 14:53:58  
Dasva said:
Funny story blm/sch gets most of that too... while being able to nuke much harder on the same spell.

Yeah, and then you die, due to lack of Stoneskin. And even RDM will outnuke a dead SCH.
 Valefor.Marylyn
By Valefor.Marylyn 2009-09-03 14:54:18  
lol yeah, its enfeeb skill is a bit better
 Titan.Alyssah
サーバ: Titan
user: Alyssah
By Titan.Alyssah 2009-09-03 14:55:26  
Sorry but SCH > BLM.
By far.
AMII is nice, but SCH's Positives outway the negatives.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-03 14:56:46  
Enternius said:
Dasva said:

Even in best-case-scenario situations, Pet-nuking will only net you about 6-8k. The only BLMs really even do it is because they can't get exp any other way.

Lol clearly you haven't been 1hitting pets... I netted over 24k an hour consistently thru out the 60s until I had to move away from pets
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-03 14:57:38  
Enternius said:
Dasva said:

Yeah, and then you die, due to lack of Stoneskin. And even RDM will outnuke a dead SCH.

Soloing sure. Get actual tanks and its a different story
[+]
 Valefor.Marylyn
By Valefor.Marylyn 2009-09-03 14:57:40  
BLM would be my choice for HNMs & anything high level though~
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-03 14:59:52  
Alyssah said:
Sorry but SCH > BLM.
By far.
AMII is nice, but SCH's Positives outway the negatives.

This, but only single target, BLM has dem Ga's, both have their uses.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 15:02:00  
Dasva said:
Lol clearly you haven't been 1hitting pets... I netted over 24k an hour consistently thru out the 60s until I had to move away from pets

Not only is that mathematically impossible (considering 250 exp is the cap for exp per mob, and respawn time is 1 minute, 30 seconds, equating to roughly 11,250 exp per hour MAX if you never had to heal and if mobs were never in awkward positions (Of course, this isn't accounting for chains which give roughly a 15% bonus to exp over time)), but even if you DO take BLM to 75, you get stuck with Mount Zhayolm manaburns which are NEVER over 10k per hour.
 Hades.Kvazz
サーバ: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-09-03 15:03:38  
Level what you prefer.
If you level BLM, you'll nuke\sleep\stun onry usually.
If you level SCH, you will have to mainheal and backupheal every now and then, and in some situations you wont get to nuke at all.
Both jobs are awsome with the right gear, level what you think fits you better.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-09-03 15:04:14  
This is almost like saying RDM is superior to BLM because of its use of Convert Refresh Haste... If its a Well geared BLM, SCH wont be better. Honestly think of pudding camps you can run around JAing aggroing everything there to still do less dmg... And wooohooo you get more mp in the end but if theres just 1 sch with half mp when everyone is low on mp whats the point? Honestly if you want a RDM job that cant Haste / Refresh others lvl SCH. If you want to do good DMG lvl BLM. Thats all there is to it. Way I look at it SCH is SE's new RDM "jack of all trades". Can tell you for sure tho when I go up to sky I don't like to have someone come SCH if they have BLM. SCH still lakes STUN which is very crutial for endgame. Please save me the laugh of SCH/DRK :)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-09-03 15:05:38
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Dasva said:
I netted over 24k an hour consistently thru out the 60s until I had to move away from pets

Yeah, this is clearly bullcrap. The best camp I had was Pso'xja, which was netting me about 12k/hr with band. And yes, I was 1-shotting every time, consistent chain 5. Please don't make me cast Barbullshit on you.
 Fenrir.Meeky
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Meekriot
By Fenrir.Meeky 2009-09-03 15:08:19  
Depends on situation....

You don't see people shouting for SCH over BLM for most things. I'd level both, you obviously have the time with that many 75's anyways
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-03 15:09:03  
Here is the honest facts.

BLM's pros:
Higher damaged nukes (BLM T4 compared to a SCH T4 with that 20% potency stratagem on).
Access to AMIIs
Access to Blind/Bind/SleepII/Sleepga/SleepgaII without subjobs or JAs.
Access to the 6 Elemental debuffs without subjobs to worry about it.
Access to stronger gear based on INT and nuking (i.e. Macc+, MAB, INT+)

SCH's pros:
Ability to go from DD to healer in an instant
Access to debuff -ga spells
Access to buff -ga spells
Access to weather effects (i.e. full time obis)
Access to weather debuffs
Stratagems and Sublimation.

Now, you can absorb the pros of one job into another job, but out of the two, BLM absorbs the most pros.

For Example, take the bolded statements of this quote:

Enternius said:

BLM:
-AMII spells.
-Um...
-Hm...

SCH:
-Reraise II...Come on...

Ok, some of the bolded statements are a weaker version (i.e. only 2 charges on Stratagems instead of 4, so the timer would be once ever 2 minutes, and RR 1 instead of RR 2) but you got to admit, some of the pros outlined can be absorbed by a BLM/SCH.

BLM/SCH is the best nuker. There is no questions asked, because its got the major pros of a SCH added into the major pros of a BLM. The only problem about a BLM/SCH is that there is no SS/Blink anymore. That can be remedied by a SCH/RDM in the party, who's job is to SS-ga the BLMs every now and then.

So, to answer your question, a BLM is better than a SCH if used right. If you are going pure damage, BLM/Any. If you are going pure Damage/MP, BLM/SCH. If you are going by usefulness, SCH/Any. Thats it.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-03 15:12:58  
Meeky said:
Depends on situation....

You don't see people shouting for SCH over BLM for most things. I'd level both, you obviously have the time with that many 75's anyways

You don't see people shouting because most BLMs are too stubborn to finally admit there's competition as a nuking job (Aka all the BLMs on this thread), and others just seem to think SCH is just a different version of RDM, and still others that don't realize that SCH requires the use of your BRAIN, unlike BLM which is just a glass cannon.
First Page 2 ... 9 10 11