FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.
FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 19:55:28  
See I wouldn't mind some mentions of Angeal mentoring Zack and handing him the Buster Sword. I always believed it was Zack's sword, but it was just handed down to him. Also Genesis isn't dead after Crisis Core, so if he was going to be used .. I wouldn't mind seeing Genesis or Angeal as optional bosses away from the main storyline (in a dungeon which only opens up at the end of the game).
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 19:59:46  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Should the remake make reference to Angeal and Genesis from Crisis Core?
No. The game should be the same, unless they plan to add as dlc BC, CC, DoC, etc.

Which is impossible cause it'd be immense.

Let those spinoffs still have a meaning. You play them to learn more about FF7.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 20:03:36  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Should the remake make reference to Angeal and Genesis from Crisis Core?
No. The game should be the same, unless they plan to add as dlc BC, CC, DoC, etc.

Which is impossible cause it'd be immense.

Let those spinoffs still have a meaning. You play them to learn more about FF7.

I'm sure that's what I said. Just make subtle references, or make none and make them optional bosses. To anyone who hasn't played Crisis Core won't know who they are if they're optional bosses. Those who did play might appreciate the reference. If they don't include them at all, in any capacity, I would be surprised because they are supposed to be adding some elements of other games so the storyline ties together properly. They could just ignore the other games like they never existed. If they don't reference them at all then fair enough, I won't lose any sleep over it.
 Siren.Novadragon
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-06 20:07:11  
Like adding this guy in?

Jade Weapon from Before Crisis.

Or Sapphire Weapon as a optional super boss as well.

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 20:07:20  
It would just leave the gamer with more questions than answers if you introduce them without explaining their story too.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 20:09:58  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It would just leave the gamer with more questions than answers if you introduce them without explaining their story too.

Ok, I never said bring them right in to the story to the point you need to explain the full story of Crisis Core. Subtle references, or simply used as optional bosses with zero dialogue to explain who they are (basically, they are just big bosses at the end of the game in a dungeon only accessible by the the strongest players as extra content away from the story). That's what I meant. It would be far too much to start explaining the full story of Crisis Core in the middle of FFVII.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:11:24  
Could place subtle references to make it seem like they weren't just thought up to milk the franchise after. That way people who are new to it can play it and then play Crisis Core without going "why wasn't he mentioned?"
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-12-06 20:12:28  
Which character is everyone's favourite?
Rufus. Dude never bleeds or cries. Way cooler than Sephiroth. I think they shoulda focused on using Rufus as a foil to Cloud instead of Sephiroth (who really isn't much of a character). Barrett is a close second for favorite though.

Sometimes when I play the game, I begin losing interest the further I get from Midgar, though it gets a big jump at the notable towns like Junon. I think it's cuz that whole group dynamic is missing in the long walks over the fields and through the dungeons, and they become less and less frequent as the party remains split up for the big story events.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 20:14:34  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Could place subtle references to make it seem like they weren't just thought up to milk the franchise after. That way people who are new to it can play it and then play Crisis Core without going "why wasn't he mentioned?"

Exactly. Like you could go to the library in the Shinra building, and find a book of reports about Zack being trained by Angeal. Boom, Crisis Core reference. Doesn't need to be a cutscene or anything that big. Just so there's some evidence Crisis Core existed. And not just that, but giving subtle references to Sephiroth's remnants in Advent Children, and the bad guys in Dirge Of Cerberus (can't remember their names). They don't need to be included in the games as full characters with cut scenes; that would be too much.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 20:17:34  
Siren.Novadragon said: »
Like adding this guy in?

Jade Weapon from Before Crisis.

Or Sapphire Weapon as a optional super boss as well.

Never played Before Crisis (is it any good)? But I always wanted to fight Sapphire Weapon. All the weapons should be fought at some point.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 20:24:10  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Which character is everyone's favourite?
Rufus. Dude never bleeds or cries. Way cooler than Sephiroth. I think they shoulda focused on using Rufus as a foil to Cloud instead of Sephiroth (who really isn't much of a character). Barrett is a close second for favorite though.

Sometimes when I play the game, I begin losing interest the further I get from Midgar, though it gets a big jump at the notable towns like Junon. I think it's cuz that whole group dynamic is missing in the long walks over the fields and through the dungeons, and they become less and less frequent as the party remains split up for the big story events.

Rufus was an exceptional bad guy. Loved his abuse of Heidegger and Scarlet. We need more Rufus in the remake for sure. Also more explanation of Tseng, because I seem to remember some of his interactions with Aeris didn't make sense.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:30:11  
Since it was mentioned in the other thread
Quote:
Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released in multiple parts.

According to Square, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be "told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

No additional details were provided, including any kind of price or release timing for part one.

The Final Fantasy VII remake was first announced at E3 and we recently heard the original composer won't be involved.
 Bahamut.Malothar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-12-06 20:31:13  
That's a good question. Should they keep the swearing in?

I hope they do, but don't bleep it. 20 years ago in gaming, damn and hell were the extent of swearing IIRC. Now, it's not so uncommon to have media loaded with swears, sexual innuendo, etc, it'd just come stamped with a Mature rating, which I don't think they'll do. Maybe have a filter that's on by default? I'm not sure if that'd allow it to drop to Teen, which I can only assume they're aiming for.

20 years ago it was funny/naughty to see, now? I think it'd be more awkward to see it.

Haven't read the whole thread, and forget where I read it, but I'm hoping some of the larger scale fights really get altered to be on a large scale like Shadow of the Colossus. When you were about to fight a Weapon, it was like holy ***I'm about to fight this thing that's taller than Shinra Tower...then it turns out to be maybe 50' tall. Not to dive into the battle system, but I'm not sure if I'd want them to make the experience fun with the system they have in place, or create something different specifically for those fights that controlled differently.
By fillerbunny9 2015-12-06 22:18:53  
there was plenty of uncensored swearing in the original release. they just ALSO added in censored bits for comedic effect.

http://tinyurl.com/mntv8s9

tiny url because both link and external image have naughty words
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 23:36:43  
fillerbunny9 said: »
there was plenty of uncensored swearing in the original release. they just ALSO added in censored bits for comedic effect.

I don't see any swearing. I suppose "***", but he was telling someone to sit down .. so it wasn't like he was using it to insult someone.

I want to know what he says when Ultima Weapon shows up.

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 23:41:41  
Posted by Artemicion in RT

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-06 23:49:21  
Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released in multiple parts.
That's actually a cool feature that I never thought of for an RPG. Usually it's just similar themes, etc.

I wonder if character stats carry over or each one you start out new.
By Artemicion 2015-12-06 23:55:10  
Here's an interesting blog post analyzing the combat system that was only slightly revealed within the short gameplay video promotion SE released a few days ago.

Seems to hold a degree of familiarity to it with the ATB system, but overall will be more fast-paced, dynamic and action oriented rather than the turn taking animations we're all used to.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 23:56:47  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
That's actually a cool feature that I never thought of for an RPG. Usually it's just similar themes, etc.

I'm going to assume all character stats would crossover to the next chapter. I'm just going to call them chapters to make it easier. The only thing I don't like about having chapters is you might not be able to return to a certain point of the game. Perhaps the chapters only effect particular cutscenes, and you're still able to traverse the world with some freedom. That was one thing I loved about FFVII, the ability to roam freely when you can access the world map.

I'm guessing and hoping these different chapters will be worked on separately, and then brought together to make one big game .. instead of each chapter feeling very different to the last. I'm going to guess that certain chapters restrict you to certain areas, while others give you more freedom. For example, the first chapter could be Midgar. The second chapter could be Midgar to Corel Prison. Third Chapter could restrict you to Corel Prison to begin with, but eventually lets you traverse to Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim. Just some random thoughts.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-06 23:58:37  
It really depends how they split the chapters up. It could be something like chapter 2 takes place 5 years later or something.

Either way definitely an interesting new feature.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 23:59:18  
Artemicion said: »
Here's an interesting blog post analyzing the combat system that was only slightly revealed within the short gameplay video promotion SE released a few days ago.

Seems to hold a degree of familiarity to it with the ATB system, but overall will be more fast-paced, dynamic and action oriented rather than the turn taking animations we're all used to.

While the OP suggests no talking about the battle system, I'll allow it this one time, but please, no one discuss it, because I don't want this to turn into a "We want turn-based!" argument.
By Artemicion 2015-12-06 23:59:25  
Yeah, I'm really crossing my fingers that they won't turn this into some episodic multi-faceted release with multiple SKUs to make us re-buy a single game; no matter how many GBs it eats up. But alas, we need a lot more clarification before I can pick up my torch and pitchfork.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-12-07 00:01:01  

While the OP suggests no talking about the battle system, I'll allow it this one time, but please, no one discuss it, because I don't want this to turn into a "We want turn-based!" argument.

Sorry, and I agree; that's a topic where nobody can win or be satisfied. But at the very least the review remains (mostly) objective and gives insight to what little SE was willing to show.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-07 00:05:00  

Sorry, and I agree; that's a topic where nobody can win or be satisfied. But at the very least the review remains (mostly) objective and gives insight to what little SE was willing to show.

That's fine with me. Back on the topic about these parts, or "chapters", it's probably going to be easier for SE to make the game that way. By doing that they can add a lot more detail as they can assign certain teams to certain chapters, and obviously have the big names looking over the work and ensuring quality.

But while they say this, I hope they realize that FFVII should be open world. Currently playing MGSV:TPP, and the one thing I love about it is the open world. Players want to be able to travel around Gaia without restrictions. Just like MGSV, they can restrict you to certain areas when you go to do the main storyline, but they should allow you to roam freely as well. If they make it too linear I will be disappointed.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-07 00:11:38  
Oh, and I found this earlier. HD TIFA!

[+]
By Artemicion 2015-12-07 00:13:27  
Zidane said:
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-12-07 00:17:38  

I don't see any swearing. I suppose "***", but he was telling someone to sit down .. so it wasn't like he was using it to insult someone.

goddamn? ***? that would be considered swearing, unless we consider anything less than f-bombs every other word inconsequential. additionally, this was Sony's way of being "edgy" with the translation.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-07 00:22:41  

goddamn? ***? that would be considered swearing, unless we consider anything less than f-bombs every other word inconsequential. additionally, this was Sony's way of being "edgy" with the translation.

Oh, well I grew up in the North East of England. That language is tame in comparison to the way the kids talk around here. When I was a young teen playing this game, I thought all the %£^$&%*£ was F-bombs, bas^£$& and words like that that .. but it's just *** and goddamn? That's lame, I guess the Japanese don't know what real swearing is :)
By fillerbunny9 2015-12-07 01:14:21  

Oh, well I grew up in the North East of England. That language is tame in comparison to the way the kids talk around here. When I was a young teen playing this game, I thought all the %£^$&%*£ was F-bombs, bas^£$& and words like that that .. but it's just *** and goddamn? That's lame, I guess the Japanese don't know what real swearing is :)

no, it's more that this was 1997 in North America, who is far more prudish about language than you are across the pond. this was also only a few years removed from the controversy over home ports of Mortal Kombats 1-3.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-07 01:52:59  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

I would certainly hope that the stats carry over. It doesn't make a lot of sense to collect a bunch of items and level up characters only to have to redo from scratch with each episode. I'm not expecting something as seamless as "End of Disc 1, please insert Disc 2", but I'm guessing that there'll at least some decent continuity between the episodes. Either way, the mere fact that they're not even trying to fit it all on one disc means that they're not holding back, and I'm hoping that the FFVII remake will be as revolutionary for the genre as the original was.