House Passes Bill Could Limit Syrian Refugees

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » House passes bill could limit Syrian refugees
House passes bill could limit Syrian refugees
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-19 17:34:39  
Quote:
House passes bill that could limit Syrian refugees

[CNN video on sources site]

WASHINGTON — The House overwhelmingly approved a measure to effectively pause the processing of Syrian refugees by insisting no displaced person be admitted without certification by the Secretary of Homeland Security. Many House Democrats ignored White House pleas to oppose the bill, giving Republicans more than enough support to pass the legislation. It’s unclear when the Senate would take up the bill, but Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said earlier Thursday that his caucus will block the measure.

The House easily passed a bill Thursday that would suspend the program allowing Syrian and Iraqi refugees into the U.S. until key national security agencies certify they don’t pose a security risk.

The vote was 289-137, with 47 Democrats joining 242 Republicans in favor of the bill, creating a majority that could override President Barack Obama’s promised veto. It also faces an uncertain future in the Senate, where Minority Leader Harry Reid said he will try to block the bill.

The high number of Democrats voting against the White House is a clear sign Obama is increasingly isolated in his position on refugees in light of the ISIS terrorist attacks on Paris.

During his trip abroad this week, Obama has offered a forceful defense of the program and derided Republican opponents as being scared of “widows and orphans.”

“We are not well served when, in response to a terrorist attack, we descend into fear and panic,” Obama said in the Philippines on Wednesday. “We don’t make good decisions if it’s based on hysteria or an exaggeration of risks.”

Republicans were determined to move quickly. House Speaker Paul Ryan told reporters “this is urgent. We cannot and should not wait to act, not when our national security is at stake.”

The administration’s veto threat “baffles me,” Ryan said, “especially given the fact that his own law enforcement top officials came to Congress and testified that there are gaps in this refugee program.

Obama administration officials have been lobbying Democrats to oppose the measure.

FBI Director James Comey has expressed deep concerns about the bill, two U.S. officials tell CNN. Comey has told administration and congressional officials that the legislation would make it impossible to allow any refugees into the U.S., and could even affect the ability of travelers from about three dozen countries that are allowed easier travel to the U.S. under the visa waiver program, the officials say.

There are always risks in allowing any foreigners into the U.S., Comey told the officials, adding that the FBI believes it has an effective process with intelligence and other agencies to conduct vetting of refugees.

Reid says Democrats will block bill

It is unclear when the Senate will take up the measure, but Reid on Thursday said Democrats will attempt to block it.

“We’ve explained here in some detail. The problem is not with refugees,” Reid said when asked if Democrats could support the House bill. “I don’t think we will be dealing with it over here.”

Reid’s language suggests Democrats will use the power of their 46 seats to block the House bill from getting the 60 votes it would need to clear procedural hurdles in the Senate.

Senate Democrats told reporters they support two measures that would respond to the Paris attacks. One would prevent people who have been to Syria or Iraq in the last five years from entering the United States through the visa waiver program. The second would prevent people on the terrorism watch list from buying guns or explosives, something currently allowed, the Democrats said.

Moves from Rand Paul, Ted Cruz

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, is now blocking progress on a spending bill for transportation and housing programs that is currently on the floor because he is insisting on getting a vote on his amendment that is aimed at preventing Syrian refugees from entering the United States.

GOP leaders and bill managers oppose having a refugee vote on this bill because they say it is unrelated and want to deal with that issue later.

Unless the GOP presidential candidate relents, this may delay passage of the underlying funding bill until after the Thanksgiving recess when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can take the time consuming procedural steps to overcome Paul’s objections.

Also Thursday, Sen. Ted Cruz attempted to quickly move two bills of his that would address the refugee laws. One bill would force Americans who join overseas terrorist groups to renounce their U.S. citizenship; a second would “immediately bar refugees” from any country “including Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, or Yemen, that contains territory substantially controlled by a foreign terrorist organization,” with exceptions for groups that are victims of genocide, Cruz’s office said.

The bills were blocked by Democrats who denied the Texas Republican’s request for unanimous consent to pass the measures.

Contentious meeting between White House and House Democrats

Earlier Thursday, White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson faced strong resistance from House Democrats at a closed-door meeting. The goal was to explain how the refugee program worked, but their presentation did not “not going over well” and went “in the weeds,” according to a Democratic source in the room.

This source said the “message on this is too complicated.”

At the meeting with House Democrats, administration officials argued that a certification process included in the bill can’t be done. But several Democrats countered that the President does certifications all the time.

New York Democratic Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney told Johnson that the issue is “toxic” and the administration arguments are “insufficient.”

House Democratic leaders say they did not “whip” the bill or pressure members to back the administration.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told members before the meeting to essentially vote their conscience on the bill, saying, “Nobody is asking you to do anything but listen.”

Source
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-19 17:41:32  
Are you banned from random p&r?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-19 17:50:07  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Are you banned from random p&r?

Quote:
Politics and Religion Any kind, anywhere.

Seems to fit the category here...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-19 17:51:18  
That's not what I asked.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-19 18:05:29  
Quote:
Senate Democrats told reporters they support two measures that would respond to the Paris attacks. One would prevent people who have been to Syria or Iraq in the last five years from entering the United States through the visa waiver program. The second would prevent people on the terrorism watch list from buying guns or explosives, something currently allowed, the Democrats said.

Voices of reason will prevail. I would listen to a case saying the waiver program is a bigger issue than the refugee program, which I have yet to see any kind of case against.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-11-19 18:05:40  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
He provides me an outlet for my unjust banning from P&R.

Join the club. So, what did they get you on.

I was being my usual mean self.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-11-19 18:06:56  
That's not what I asked.
Answer: No

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Altimaomega
サーバ: Hades
By Hades.Altimaomega 2015-11-19 22:52:16  
One would think it would be easier letting people post in Random P&R just to keep the precious top page of topics clear of these Random Forum topics.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2015-11-19 22:58:05  
In your opinion.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2015-11-19 23:15:04  
Why should they be allowed into this country?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Titanfoo 2015-11-20 01:48:21  
Hades.Altimaomega said: »

Open a history book. Start with the Native Americans. Google the word Immigrant when your done reading the US history. Syrians should be allowed in this country because humans should be able to live without fear of their mom's, dad's, siblings getting murdered in front of them. If you can't understand that then you have not yet felt true pain and or loss.

People come to America for hope and always have. If that ever changes then we will no longer be worth coming to.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2015-11-20 03:35:18  

Maybe because before most of our ancestors were considered US Citizens they were "immigrants" and "refugees" this country was founded on European Immigrants and it's a bit condescending to all of a sudden close the door on immigrants I realize no one wants what happened in France to happen here but leaving innocent people to die is inhumane and in my mind would be pretty pathetic considering the United States allowed Jewish European Refugees to enter the United States during WW2 (Hollocaust) what's the difference here? oh yeah Syrians ARE NOT Europeans oh and most of them NOT ALL of them are of the Muslim religion a religion that is unjustly synonymous with terrorism. Weren't the Nazis the ISIS of their era? here is a fun fact according to the U.S Census as of 2000 the United States had 42,841,569 Germans living in the United States which was over 15% of the population. So why shouldn't we let Syrians into the U.S? maybe because its cool to be a terrorist if you're from Europe and a few years go by and enough people forget good ol Anglo-Saxon logic gotta love the hypocrisy that occurs in this country.

Last point I will make Nazis were Christians I don't see the Christian Religion being Synonymous with terrorism
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Neuman 2015-11-20 10:17:10  
You did not get an answer to this question because there actually isn't one.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-20 10:22:45  
Franklin Delano Roosevelt said:
the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance

But those who voted for this bill are saying "Be afraid, be very afraid."
[+]
 Asura.Neuman
サーバ: Asura
user: Neuman
By Asura.Neuman 2015-11-20 10:24:38  
Neuman said: »
You did not get an answer to this question because there actually isn't one.

Yeah, it sorta reminds me of someone asking "Why should I have friends" or "Why shouldn't I drink soda".

It's nothing like that. You are mistaken.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-20 10:37:57  

I think I have given more reason just now as to why they should be.

Your turn.

What are they adding to the US? Are they bringing any skills in need in our current economy?

I mean why should we take the worlds un-educated and destitute? Most of the people on welfare are immigrants. We're just importing our poverty class.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 10:42:26  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Most of the people on welfare are immigrants.

I can't tell you you're wrong because I don't know for certain but I would love to see the hard numbers on that claim.

I have an extremely hard time believing they outnumber our own rural and urban poor.

I would guess more of them are on disability than welfare, but that's just from my own personal experience with Bhutanese/Nepali refugees in western Pennsylvania.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 11:59:51  
We should stop reproducing while we are at it.
I'm pro limiting birth rates. I'm aware it's a dictatorial move but a chinese-like limit on number of children per family would benefit this world.
[+]
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2015-11-20 14:10:41  
I think I have given more reason just now as to why they should be.
Because you don't get along with your neighbors?

Carbuncle.Galmaximas said: »
the United States allowed Jewish European Refugees to enter the United States during WW2 (Hollocaust) what's the difference here?
I wasn't aware Jews shot innocent people and committed suicide bombings.

Weren't the Nazis the ISIS of their era?
Not even comparable.

here is a fun fact according to the U.S Census as of 2000 the United States had 42,841,569 Germans living in the United States which was over 15% of the population.
Another fun fact. Germans immigrated to this country before and after WW2.

Titanfoo said: »
People come to America for hope and always have. If that ever changes then we will no longer be worth coming to.
I like how the same people that give this a (+) also (+) this.
I'm pro limiting birth rates. I'm aware it's a dictatorial move but a chinese-like limit on number of children per family would benefit this world.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 14:12:03  
I like how the same people that give this a (+) also (+) this.

I can't be certain, but I don't think you actually like this at all!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Altimaomega
By Hades.Altimaomega 2015-11-20 14:23:40  
We should stop reproducing while we are at it.

Until the social systems fall apart from too few young people taking care of too many old, and the economy slows from lesser consumers to spend.

As for Altima. He really can't say anything about immigration besides "I WUZ HERE FIRST" I guess.

I've got no problem with immigration as long as you come legally and are not gonna run around shooting people or blowing them up. Thankfully the house passed a bill that will help limit the shooting and blowing up. Hopefully it doesn't get veto'd.

You however have said nothing but let them in, who cares about the consequences!
First Page 2 3 4 5