First Page 2 3 ... 70 71 72 ... 216 217 218
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-04-27 12:00:46  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
It was a simpler time people worked and spent time with their families and not all up in each others business. I would have loved to live in that time

Yeah, except John McCarthy says hi and wants to know what your political ideologies are and if he should blacklist you and ruin your life. Ahhhh the Golden Era.

The Problem is that when we killed god and removed the religious based morality that "maintained the order of the 50's" that slore misses and ramy laments, we didn't replace it with anything. We have laws....sure.. that the rich can afford to break and the poor cannot. And, nobody cares about the laws, or who breaks them unless they effect us directly...and then we cry like babies. but it's too late.

We opened pandora's box and there is no going back and putting all these things away.

Sooner or later the rioters will show up your doorstep and you will understand what slore was getting at. Yes it was oppressive but that's the gum that was holding the whole thing together and now we have to cut it out of your hair...
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-27 12:00:52  
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Ramyrez said: »
If you think these groups want equality you are out of your mind. They want supremacy not equality, ie: BLM

Wow.

Straight-up jumping to Godwin-level wording.

"They're coming for us! They don't want equality, they want to oppress us! Better stop them before it's too late!"

Well, "Make America great again!" certainly doesn't mean applying post-war fiscal policies. What could it be?

well obviously after trump is elected all men will be required to get a pompador and all women will be required to wear pencil skirts. essentially we'll turn into a bizzaro 1950's version of the country.

Nostalgia for the days of yore sock hops and sharing a milkshake at the soda fountain. Considering the progress made socially, like the famed Natalie Wood, that's not going to float!
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:01:49  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
That's how society used to be though. What else do you miss? The cold war and soviet scarecrow propaganda? Lower health prospectives? A less educated population?

"Yes."

Not speaking for Alti, as I don't think he actually wants those things, but there are people who legit do.

I don't know about ya'll but I think everyone needs to grow up and stop using race and gender as a battle cry for either side of the political spectrum.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:02:44  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
It was a simpler time people worked and spent time with their families and not all up in each others business. I would have loved to live in that time

Yeah, except John McCarthy says hi and wants to know what your political ideologies are and if he should blacklist you and ruin your life. Ahhhh the Golden Era.

The Problem is that when we killed god and removed the religious based morality that "maintained the order of the 50's" that slore misses and ramy laments, we didn't replace it with anything. We have laws....sure.. that the rich can afford to break and the poor cannot. And, nobody cares about the laws, or who breaks them unless they effect us directly...and then we cry like babies. but it's too late.

We opened pandora's box and there is no going back and putting all these things away.

Sooner or later the rioters will show up your doorstep and you will understand what slore was getting at. Yes it was oppressive but that's the gum that was holding the whole thing together and now we have to cut it out of your hair...

See? At least Nik is honest.

"It was still pretty shitty, but people suck and that's the best we can do, okay?"

I don't agree, but at least that's a valid stance that isn't sugar coating 20 layers of ***.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-27 12:03:05  
When the battle for them isn't over you cannot just ignore them.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:05:28  
When the battle for them isn't over you cannot just ignore them.

Looks like Trump isn't having that problem.

Which is why you and others hate him.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-27 12:05:29  
we didn't replace it with anything

Aw, cmon

Overwhelming nihilism is a thing! It's our state's chief export!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-27 12:06:01  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Nostalgia for the days of yore sock hops and sharing a milkshake at the soda fountain. Considering the progress made socially, like the famed Natalie Wood, that's not going to float!

lol if that was on purpose, well done!

i really do think people some how want to go back to the 50's when they say make america great again, cause the people saying it definitely don't want the 60's/70's. 80's parties are fun, but who would really want to go back to that for more than a day. the 90's only seemed cool cause i was watching ducktales and darkwing duck. so, sock hops it is. thank god i've already got a leather jacket.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:07:25  
Altimaomega said: »
That's how society used to be though. What else do you miss? The cold war and soviet scarecrow propaganda? Lower health prospectives? A less educated population?

"Yes."

Not speaking for Alti, as I don't think he actually wants those things, but there are people who legit do.

I don't know about ya'll but I think everyone needs to grow up and stop using race and gender as a battle cry for either side of the political spectrum.

Here's the thing.

I agree with you, but the context is important.

I'm not saying "let's never discuss it again."

I'm saying let's get some real equality hammered out here. Things like, "if you expect women to carry your genetic legacy, you'd better be accommodating of the time they need to take off to give birth to the little guys and not ding them for it by trying to *** with their pay and benefits."

Things like that aren't "debatable" and they're not "political battle cries."

They're how it has to be if you're going to have people treated like equals.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-04-27 12:08:29  
Cruz Missive said: »
we didn't replace it with anything

Aw, cmon

Overwhelming nihilism is a thing! It's our state's chief export!

lol overwhelming nihilism is second! crippling depression is our main export
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:09:48  
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
darkwing duck.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:12:54  

"Yes."

Here's the thing.

I agree with you, but the context is important.

I'm not saying "let's never discuss it again."

I'm saying let's get some real equality hammered out here. Things like, "if you expect women to carry your genetic legacy, you'd better be accommodating of the time they need to take off to give birth to the little guys and not ding them for it by trying to *** with their pay and benefits."

Things like that aren't "debatable" and they're not "political battle cries."

They're how it has to be if you're going to have people treated like equals.

Pretty sure that's already somewhat fixed. At least in Michigan. Oh wait! you mean the sates have power too!?!

The President shouldn't have to deal with what the States are Meant to be dealing with!

Otherwise I agree with you.. lol
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:14:13  
Pretty sure that's already somewhat fixed. At least in Michigan. Oh wait! you mean the sates have power too!?!

The President shouldn't have to deal with what the States are Meant to be dealing with!

It occurs to me that a big part of the reason I'm so against states deciding everything is because Pennsylvania's state legislature makes monkeys flinging ***look civilized and reasonable.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-04-27 12:15:12  
I don't agree, but at least that's a valid stance that isn't sugar coating 20 layers of ***.

perhaps people only behaved out of fear of eternal damnation...ostracization from their community...the brutality of the police response, the harshness and oppression of prison. whatever.

and not everyone obviously but

ok so you take away the fear and the shame because they are bad and what do you have left?

what is holding everyone back from all hell breaking lose?
[+]
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-27 12:16:30  
State governments in general tend to be packed full of party hacks and imbeciles, because anyone who's any good at all makes the jump to the big leagues as soon as possible.

Like, states' rights as a concept is tremendous, but I think its execution relies on a more involved voting populace than we've actually got.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:19:17  
State governments in general tend to be packed full of party hacks and imbeciles, because anyone who's any good at all makes the jump to the big leagues as soon as possible.

Like, states' rights as a concept is tremendous, but I think its execution relies on a more involved voting populace than we've actually got.

Precisely.

For instance, Pennsylvania let Ed Rendell have a second term.

Drawing from that information alone, we can't even be trusted with kindergarten-level safety scissors.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:21:55  

perhaps people only behaved out of fear of eternal damnation...ostracization from their community...the brutality of the police response, the harshness and oppression of prison. whatever.

and not everyone obviously but

ok so you take away the fear and the shame because they are bad and what do you have left?

what is holding everyone back from all hell breaking lose?

I'm on board with the "religion as a societal control" thing. I really am. But it just doesn't work anymore without some serious martial enforcement...
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:27:11  

It occurs to me that a big part of the reason I'm so against states deciding everything is because Pennsylvania's state legislature makes monkeys flinging ***look civilized and reasonable.

Welcome to a Constitutional Republic. Perhaps it's people should stand up and take the reigns instead of sitting at home on their ***.

Could be why Trump is going to be the nominee huh?
What's the Democrats excuse?
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:30:59  
You keep saying that as if Trump is a legitimate change or somehow better.

HE'S STILL PART OF THE SAME SYSTEM, ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

He's just always operated on the "paying for favors" side as opposed to the "taking money for favors" side.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:34:32  
As for Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania's problem is it's probably going to go to Trump and that's indicative of the problems we have at a state level of government.

Any time a Democratic governor gets elected and tries to enact any policies that benefit anyone, the Republican legislature digs its heels in and sits on boneheaded conservative values and refuses to budge for literally years, and thanks to gerrymandering they're so rarely getting ousted that it's near hopeless.

My neighborhood is split into two sections and those sections actually bifurcate me and my neighbors yard. We vote in the same building.

But this way the votes get split up more favorably for someone!
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-27 12:42:48  

He's just always operated on the "paying for favors" side as opposed to the "taking money for favors" side.

It doesn't make him any less corrupt necessarily, but you have to see the difference between a president who was bought and paid for (and therefore has to repay the favor in office) vs. one that has no such obligations.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:46:14  

I don't know if he would be something better. I know the opposing side is not, so I may as well hope for the best?

You want legitimate change? To what extent? The past 16-50yrs is what Clinton wants. Bernie just wants to expand the ACA into every facet of our economy. Which is truly worrisome!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 12:48:40  
As for Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania's problem is it's probably going to go to Trump and that's indicative of the problems we have at a state level of government.

Any time a Democratic governor gets elected and tries to enact any policies that benefit anyone, the Republican legislature digs its heels in and sits on boneheaded conservative values and refuses to budge for literally years, and thanks to gerrymandering they're so rarely getting ousted that it's near hopeless.

My neighborhood is split into two sections and those sections actually bifurcate me and my neighbors yard. We vote in the same building.

But this way the votes get split up more favorably for someone!

Our Government was designed to make it hard to pass any kind of laws. Get used to it?
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:51:10  
Bernie just wants to expand the ACA into every facet of our economy.

No.

But I'm not going into it because what Bernie wants is irrelevant, as he's not getting anywhere close to the nomination.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:51:54  
Our Government was designed to make it hard to pass any kind of laws. Get used to it?

No?

You're advocating for change in the same old while saying "get used to the way it is?"

Cognitive dissonance, go.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-27 12:52:40  

I see where you're going with this, but thinking about how the federal government is full of party hacks and imbeciles and then trying to imagine a group of people that's even worse is giving me brain damage.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 12:54:33  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I see where you're going with this, but thinking about how the federal government is full of party hacks and imbeciles and then trying to imagine a group of people that's even worse is giving me brain damage.

Which was sort of my point in the first place.

The federal government is a step up from these fruitcakes.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-27 12:57:58  
what Bernie wants is irrelevant, as he's not getting anywhere close to the nomination
It's true he's not going to win(to be fair he did much better than anyone even expected). However what he's done is incredibly important and it's something that could last past these primaries.
Too often people(and especially young ones)don't get involved in politics out of a sense of resignment; in this era what people need(and not just americans mind you)is politicians who can inspire, and by that I mean inspire good sentiments, not anger and fear like Trump(which is nothing new, nationalist parties have been doing this for centuries).
You need to hope that Sanders' message will last and that people will take it upon themselves to keep asking for the changes they want, rather than just call it a day and go home and let the same game play out.
Activism is important. The moment you become passive you have no one to blame but yourself.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 13:01:18  

No?

You're advocating for change in the same old while saying "get used to the way it is?"

Cognitive dissonance, go.

Um.. As long as the house and senate remain red and Trump wins.. Guess what happens?

Talk about Cognitive dissonance.
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-27 13:01:28  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

So, what it mostly comes down to is the NFL QB problem. You have a very difficult job (NFL QB or Congresscritter), that can only be done well by so many people on the planet. You also have some restrictions (physical talents/etc vs. have to be American, can't be too young/too old, etc) that further narrow down the pool. You also have other opportunities that draw away from that talent pool (QBs tend to be great athletes who can play a less punishing sport, talented leaders can make more money in the private sector).

So what you end up with is about 400 people for 500 jobs. Well, you gotta fill in those gaps somehow... and that's how you end up trotting out Case Keenum and Chuck Schumer.
First Page 2 3 ... 70 71 72 ... 216 217 218