not very obvious to some
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-26 17:33:42  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
See? ^^ EDIT function is needed.

Maslow doesn't have a damn thing to say about edit functions. Proofread/preview your ***, it ain't that hard.

we've all established that more guns =/= more violent crime a hundred times over in these threads

Who exactly is "we", because the science on this actually points the other way most of the time. It's at best debatable, so treating it like established fact is intellectually dishonest. At least try to be better than that.

Garuda.Chanti said: »
"*** always advertise."

I think of bumper stickers, magnets, etc as akin to those tree frogs with the bright orange skin. Honestly, I appreciate the warning. It's nice to know up front what's toxic.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-26 17:36:49  
No, duh. Any law imposed on the people is effectively about control, but the direct comparison of proposed gun control legislation to the rounding up and extermination of the Jewish people is Alex Jones-level brain drool.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-26 18:05:28  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Concentration camps... Graves!

One wonders how many Jews would have died if they had been armed when the Germans came to put them in camps.
One wonders how someone can have such thoughts without falling over.

It's AH.
Europe didn't exist until the Nazi's rode roughshod all over Europe and the US intervened.

Jeez. Get with it. We should all know the drill by now.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 18:55:05  
No, duh. Any law imposed on the people is effectively about control, but the direct comparison of proposed gun control legislation to the rounding up and extermination of the Jewish people is Alex Jones-level brain drool.

He also rounded up the Jews and put them in the ghettos therefore urban planning is evil

He was also big on public works there fore public works is fascist.

In reality the being reference deregulated sales and expanded the permit from 1 yr to 3. It also relaxed the gun control laws passed in the Weimar republic which required all guns to be confiscated. It was quite the pro gun right law, outside of the Jews can't own guns part but you know every law they were passing said no Jews allowed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 18:57:50  
And he overthrew the Weimar Republic which is why the Hitler was for gun control argument is intellectually dishonest and historically misleading.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-26 20:04:28  
Which has to do with Trump just how?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-26 20:07:28  
Judge sets Trump University hearing for first day of GOP convention
Politico, I swear, not the Onion

Openers but it gets good further in:
Quote:
As the Republican National Convention kicks off this summer, political mavens will be focused on the maneuvering in Cleveland, but it might be worth keeping an eye on happenings some 2000 miles away in a federal courtroom in San Diego.

A federal judge announced this week that on the first day of that convention he plans to convene an important hearing on a class-action lawsuit against Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump and his Trump University real estate seminar program.

U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel issued an order Monday setting the July 18 hearing on a move by Trump's lawyers to toss out the Cohen v. Trump case. The judge also plans to take up other motions, including one asking that the case be stripped of its class-action status.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-26 20:08:56  
Concentration camps... Graves!

One wonders how many Jews would have died if they had been armed when the Germans came to put them in camps.

No, no they don't wonder. Why do you say ***like this?

Anyways, Trump is taking all 5 states tonight, as predicted. Looks like Cruz is finishing dead last in all of them by a wide margin.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 20:17:27  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Which has to do with Trump just how?

Tangent from Nausi musing about WWII Germany and gun control stemming from the picture a truck with slogans from a truck of a Trump supporter. Check the previous page to how that came about.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-26 20:21:58  
Which still has nothing to do with Trump.

And the Nazis stripped us of a lot more than just guns before the ovens got rolling.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-26 20:27:49  
Yea that was mentioned, but sometimes the historical ignorance regarding other countries history and politics gets to a point where you just have to say something..much derailing and your current attempt to steer the conversation back on track.

But don't ask a question on the internet and not expect an answer ;)
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-04-26 20:43:35  
"Is America great again yet? I'm bored"

-every stinking millennial
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-26 21:57:16  
Quick! Subject change.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-26 22:01:30  
Looks like Cruz might eek out a 2nd place finish in Pennsylvania, with 21%, 36% behind Trump. He is blaming the media for his losses, of course.
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-26 22:05:22  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Looks like Cruz might eek out a 2nd place finish in Pennsylvania, with 21%, 36% behind Trump. He is blaming the media for his losses, of course.

I mean, he's not even actually wrong about that.

The media giving Trump gigantic swaths of airtime early and often are actually a big part of why this has all gone the way it has.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-26 22:09:02  
Cruz Missive said: »
Who exactly is "we", because the science on this actually points the other way most of the time. It's at best debatable, so treating it like established fact is intellectually dishonest. At least try to be better than that.

Facts are stubborn things. Any one of the studies on this side will point to falling violent crime rates of the previous decades and contrast them to the amount of guns that are legally owned then vs now. More guns owned now vs then, and the result is less crime.

The common sense approach to this phenomenon is that as more people legally own guns, those legal guns are present in places where they can potentially stop crime. Furthermore as crime is prevented, criminals must increasingly weigh that their potential victims might be carrying guns themselves, and that itself serves as further deterrence to additional crime. Conversely places where legal guns are prohibited such as "gun free zone" act as magnets to criminals in regards to their ability to carry out their crime. It's an easy concept to grasp that if a criminal wants to murder someone, the absence of a gun (such as in a gun free zone) is a preferable environment to those where any would be victims might be packing heat.

As a side note, it's kind of inappropriate that mods throw down the threats of the ban hammer on "tone" of conversation, then pick sides in the various debates of the section. I mean do you think that picking a side doesn't negatively influence the outgoing tone? If the authority is condescending to one element why shouldn't the choir be? Just my 2 cents.
[+]
Administrator
By Cruz Missive 2016-04-26 22:13:53  
Facts are stubborn things. Any one of the studies on this side will point to falling violent crime rates of the previous decades and contrast them to the amount of guns that are legally owned then vs now. More guns owned now vs then, and the result is less crime.

The common sense approach to this phenomenon is that as more people legally own guns, those legal guns are present in places where they can potentially stop crime. Furthermore as crime is prevented, criminals must increasingly weigh that their potential victims might be carrying guns themselves, and that itself serves as further deterrence to additional crime. Conversely places where legal guns are prohibited such as "gun free zone" act as magnets to criminals in regards to their ability to carry out their crime. It's an easy concept to grasp that if a criminal wants to murder someone, the absence of a gun (such as in a gun free zone) is a preferable environment to those where any would be victims might be packing heat.

Ah, the old "More Guns, Less Crime" chestnut. You should probably look up the science rather than just talking about things you feel are happening, and calling it "common sense".

For the record, it's not conclusive; it mostly tilts in the "maybe we shouldn't have so many guns, or at least make better laws about obtaining them" direction, but it's not hard and fast in either direction, so claiming it's some closed book is just foolish.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-04-26 22:31:28  
As a side note, it's kind of inappropriate that mods throw down the threats of the ban hammer on "tone" of conversation, then pick sides in the various debates of the section. I mean do you think that picking a side doesn't negatively influence the outgoing tone? If the authority is condescending to one element why shouldn't the choir be? Just my 2 cents.

I don't throw around suspensions for "tone". Suspensions are for rule violations, and that includes personal attacks. Let's not pretend there isn't a shitload of that around here, and if you think it's been anything other than lenient, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean, if we did ban for tone, you'd have been gone a long time ago! You don't really seem to bring anything to the discussion here beyond baseless claims and rancor.

As for sides, I thought it was pretty well known that I flip "sides" all the time (though I've been worse about taking actual extremes lately, getting lazy and centrist). Mostly I just try to bring things back to the center and shut down obvious logical fallacies. My actual political opinions stay out of it, because that doesn't help anyone. As for the other mods, Ack doesn't come in here at all except for reports, Kojo doesn't really mix it up in here, and Chaos/Aly are busy elsewhere. I also don't use my moderation powers at all anymore, really; I leave that to the greens, because it's better for everyone.

So, I don't really know what your complaint is. You aren't treated any differently than anyone else in this section; you're just posting obvious nonsense, and I'm pointing it out. Don't want that? Fact-check your ***ahead of time.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-26 23:09:02  
Rooks said: »

I don't throw around suspensions for "tone". Suspensions are for rule violations, and that includes personal attacks. Let's not pretend there isn't a shitload of that around here, and if you think it's been anything other than lenient, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean, if we did ban for tone, you'd have been gone a long time ago! You don't really seem to bring anything to the discussion here beyond baseless claims and rancor.

As for sides, I thought it was pretty well known that I flip "sides" all the time (though I've been worse about taking actual extremes lately, getting lazy and centrist). Mostly I just try to bring things back to the center and shut down obvious logical fallacies. My actual political opinions stay out of it, because that doesn't help anyone. As for the other mods, Ack doesn't come in here at all except for reports, Kojo doesn't really mix it up in here, and Chaos/Aly are busy elsewhere. I also don't use my moderation powers at all anymore, really; I leave that to the greens, because it's better for everyone.

So, I don't really know what your complaint is. You aren't treated any differently than anyone else in this section; you're just posting obvious nonsense, and I'm pointing it out. Don't want that? Fact-check your ***ahead of time.

I guess I would further clarify that if you, as a mod are condescending to posters, you in part encourage the lack of civility you lament.

Tone probably wasn't the right word.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2016-04-27 01:40:28  
It's starting to hit me that Trump is actually gonna win this.

America, you scary...

Like, even if he does'nt become president, just the fact that it's gone this far is either proof that America in general is just crazy extremists, or they're pulling off the worst prank ever..
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-27 01:52:18  
Why exactly is it that Trump triggers this response?

Obamas election was pushed by extreme ideals.
Bernie is so far out there NASA has trouble spotting him.
Hillary is heavy establishment which is a totally different type of extreme.

Romney was so bland nobody voted bothered to vote for him.
Mccain.. Literally put us to sleep.

Oh and pointing to America and saying "look at all the crazy"..
Have you noticed across the pond lately?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2016-04-27 02:12:29  
He just seems like the kind of guy that's gonna start bombing anybody that looks at him funny.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2016-04-27 02:15:53  
And well, he seems both racist and sexist.
He's a bully.
He acts like a *** 12 year old that feels like he's better than everybody else.

This man is no fit leader, unless you concider the leader of the "bully-group" in highschool a fit president.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 07:10:13  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Like, even if he does'nt become president, just the fact that it's gone this far is either proof that America in general is just crazy extremists, or they're pulling off the worst prank ever..

I've been saying this since...well, basically since he first uttered his laughable "make America great again" slogan.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-27 07:17:39  
Altimaomega said: »
Mccain.. Literally put us to sleep.

McCain was the last Republican I'd have considered voting for, and then he went extreme crazy with Palin as his running mate and the "tea party" right loved it, and they've embraced that brand of crazy ever since, which is how we got to Trump.

Altimaomega said: »
Why exactly is it that Trump triggers this response?

Because he doesn't have a valid plan for a single *** thing he says. And he revels in it. He just keeps saying the same stupid ***over and over and people buy into it. It's insanity. Even if you don't like and disagree with Bernie, at least he's straight-up said how he'd like to see things get done.

With Trump it's just "Gonna make 'murrica great again!"

He doesn't even say what that *** means. Great for who? Women? Blacks? Gays? Which of those was American great for 60 years ago again?

He's going to "build a wall." I'd like to assume at this point the people voting for him realize the "build a wall" thing is metaphorical, though because I'm relatively certain a large portion of his voting base can't define "metaphorical," my hope for that is limited.

The man is a walking, talking satire. A caricature of everything wrong with the "'murrica" mindset.

His racism and bigotry is overstated. I've said that before. And as a leader I've already admitted in the past he probably wouldn't be as bad as many of his detractors say. He'd insulate himself with people who actually know what the *** they're talking about to cover for his obvious inadequacies in policy, foreign and domestic alike.

It's that he appeals to actual bigots and racists and misogynists that is terrifying. He's exposed a very, very ugly underbelly of America's "silent majority" and, frankly, it's repulsive to know how far we still have to go as a country to even get into the 20th century.

A decade and a half into the 21st.

Ugh.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2016-04-27 07:28:58  
Ramyrez said: »
The man is a walking, talking satire. A caricature of everything wrong with the "'murrica" mindset.

This, and the fact that he's actually probably winning the nomination now... it's just scary...
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-27 08:23:33  
Ramyrez said: »
He's exposed a very, very ugly underbelly of America's "silent majority" and, frankly, it's repulsive to know how far we still have to go as a country to even get into the 20th century.

A decade and a half into the 21st.

Ugh.

I'd say Obama exposed it by simply being and that Trump is capitalizing a'la Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon aka what is referred to as "The Southern Strategy". Though, today we could call it "The Post 2008 US Presidential Election Rupert Murdoch Cable News Network Strategy".
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-27 09:22:08  
A lot of stupid crap about guns that has NOTHING to do with Trump.
Rooks said: »
I don't throw around suspensions for "tone". Suspensions are for rule violations, and that includes personal attacks. Let's not pretend there isn't a shitload of that around here, and if you think it's been anything other than lenient, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean, if we did ban for tone, you'd have been gone a long time ago! You don't really seem to bring anything to the discussion here beyond baseless claims and rancor....
How about for repeated and continual derails?

Have any of Nasui's posts in this thread for the last week had anything to do with Trump?

Nasui I am not even going to bother denigrating your worthless posts here, take it to RP&R and I will.
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 216 217 218