Dev Tracker - news, discussions
First Page 2 3 ... 193 194 195 ... 201 202 203
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2017-11-05 08:54:23  
I think SE knows full well how broken SMN is right now, but it's a purposeful business decision to ignore it.

I'd guess they've seen a resurgence in subscriptions over the past year and the overall goal is to retain the majority of resubs for 1-2 months longer chasing a couple Aeonics on easy-mode versus always trying to play catch up making new, harder content for the minority top tier base.

The trade off for the more top tier players who don't need SMN to accomplish things is that the game is probably being kept alive by the money from the lower tier players who rely on SMN right now, so it's either have them nerf AC and the game potentially die, or let AC continue and with it the game's longevity.

The major, glaring counterpoint to my hypothesis is that they recently nerfed GEO. I can't fathom why they did this if the overall goal was job diversity and easy inclusion into the hardest content.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-11-05 09:10:43  
Some people will see it that way. Keep it broken so people keep paying.

Others will say if it weren't broken, they would have to pay longer to achieve goals.

Either way people are quitting. They will either quit because content has zero challenge. Or they will quit because they can't do anything.

Ragnarok.Inx said: »
What a bunch of self-serving crap. You reject any empathy for other peoples efforts being flushed down the toilet because you feel your standing as a player is eroded by their success?

How weak is that.

If I cared about my standing, you'd see my character profile with all relics, all aeonics, and all empyreans. But I leave my account unregistered.

I have zero empathy toward someone currently leveling, gearing, and abusing smn. 10 people in the entire history of the game have played smn because they enjoy it. Everyone else only has it to abuse it. That doesn't deserve any sympathy.

Yes, it's unfair to give ACTUAL summoners a buff and then take it away, but you aren't nerfing them you're just taking away something they never should've had in the first place. You're only nerfing the bandwagon scummoners.
By Gruknor 2017-11-05 09:12:28  
Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
I think SE knows full well how broken SMN is right now, but it's a purposeful business decision to ignore it.

I'd guess they've seen a resurgence in subscriptions over the past year and the overall goal is to retain the majority of resubs for 1-2 months longer chasing a couple Aeonics on easy-mode versus always trying to play catch up making new, harder content for the minority top tier base.

The trade off for the more top tier players who don't need SMN to accomplish things is that the game is probably being kept alive by the money from the lower tier players who rely on SMN right now, so it's either have them nerf AC and the game potentially die, or let AC continue and with it the game's longevity.

The major, glaring counterpoint to my hypothesis is that they recently nerfed GEO. I can't fathom why they did this if the overall goal was job diversity and easy inclusion into the hardest content.

Your counter point actually is more proof for your hypothesis. GEO was OP, it caused BRD and COR to rarely be taken. Now BRD and COR are shouted for over GEO on certain things. GEO with 900 combined skill and idris is very powerful, just can not buff against magic attacks like BRD with carols. Job diversity is good for keeping the player base numbers high. BRD and COR were very popular before people realized how op GEO was.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Inx
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-11-05 09:28:33  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
10 people in the entire history of the game have played smn because they enjoy it. Everyone else only has it to abuse it. That doesn't deserve any sympathy.

That's so ignorant, you're just making yourself look more and more foolish with statements like that. I'm not even close to hardcore SMN and I had the job mastered long before AC/AF zerging became a thing.

Jobs become popular because of presumed effectiveness and invite friendliness, jobs without a well-defined niche tend to get shuffled back regardless of how good they are.

All it takes is for content to specifically leverage a particular job's strengths and suddenly its desirability and visibility increase. Look at NIN since the last couple of months worth of Ambu have really leaned on its style.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-05 09:41:05  
The only anecdotal information I can provide for why they may not have nerfed SMN is because when the DEV's tinkered with BST, making it into a DRG that can't rely on its pet to work properly, a handful of my friends quit. These were people that always considered BST their main job. Sure, for most endgame activities, they brought something else, but when they could go off on their own or play whatever they wanted, it was BST. Then BST became awesome, and the job became popular, and they were happy to share their advice with people newly interested in the job. The sun rising on BST was a really exciting time for them. And when the sun came crashing down, they just up and left.

I don't know how many people reacted this way across all servers. Likely, a very small amount. But if the goal is dollars, I haven't seen people leave over SMN being too strong. Lots of threats, but no action. People left over BST, though. And people also left over MNK.
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
サーバ: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-11-05 09:43:12  
Here's the reality.

The people who are mercing are gonna merc on different jobs if they nerf smn.

The people who are beating it without smn are still gonna beat it without smn.

The people who currently can't beat it are still not going to beat it.

Net gain: "We pissed off some smn yay!!"

How often does anyone SMN zerg anything that has come out since reisenjima? My guess is almost never.

All the omen bosses have some gimmick that makes AC zergs a non issue. Sure you can smash the last few percent with AC, but nobody does the whole fight that way because they amnesia, AOE spam, one shot tanks etc. if you do. SMN still has a place, but it isn't AC zerg.

Ambuscade favors a few different jobs every month. nobody does AC zergs in there.

I'm guessing the ilvl Dynamis zones will have similar gimmicks.

SE already nerfed SMN zergs and you guys were too busy complaining to notice. And for once they did it the right way. By creating content that discourages it without completely destroying the job.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2017-11-05 09:43:17  
Some people will see it that way. Keep it broken so people keep paying.

Others will say if it weren't broken, they would have to pay longer to achieve goals.

Either way people are quitting. They will either quit because content has zero challenge. Or they will quit because they can't do anything.

Oh, I agree, but in the short term, for a very old game, it makes them the most money. Eventually the returning players will run dry and they'll have lost both sides of the spectrum.

Gruknor said: »
Your counter point actually is more proof for your hypothesis. GEO was OP, it caused BRD and COR to rarely be taken. Now BRD and COR are shouted for over GEO on certain things. GEO with 900 combined skill and idris is very powerful, just can not buff against magic attacks like BRD with carols. Job diversity is good for keeping the player base numbers high. BRD and COR were very popular before people realized how op GEO was.

Nerfing GEO only hammered the established mage setups. It had no impact on the viability of COR and BRD in melee setups. Logically, they continued their path on content inclusion by buffing BRD songs, buffing COR rolls from gear and further lowering NM evasion, which is why the nerf to mage setups doesn't make any sense when AC exists... What's the point of taking away someone's handgun when the other guy has a nuke?
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2017-11-05 09:48:00  

Very good hypothesis. This may be the reason why they are delaying it.

Hence, why it doesn't affect me at all. My team beats this content with other ways like RNG mode, BLM, and Melee DD Mode, and find it super fun..

Probably some of the best memories in years. ^_^

I always try managing this content with 18 people. The excitement gets even better.
 Asura.Xijaah
user: Xijaah
By Asura.Xijaah 2017-11-05 10:26:04  

Although now, if they were smart about it, they'd choose other means to make aeonics more accessible, like for example the removal of the retard and punishing scaling of NMs' health.
That would've been so much better than letting one job (awesome as it may be) dominate the scene with so little competition.
That might open positions on some already established roosters to include competent players, which now are (rightfully) left out due to said scaling. What we're seeing now, at least on Asura, is a bunch of scrubs with no coordination and close to no time invested in understanding the mechanics of a very complex job, that most of the times get together and waste theirs and everyone else's time by trying to clear content they're not ready for.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-11-05 10:34:10  
Say they nerfed SMN.

On balance, do you think more people would be happy about it than incensed that the job they've spent a bunch of effort building up has been shuffled to the back of the deck again?

I'd say the latter is far more likely, and that being the case why would SE entertain that approach?

Nerfing stuff generally isn't welcomed, because most people just want to achieve stuff in game, and don't like having to re-think their strategies because of mercurial decisions on the part of the dev-team.

Sorry, but from my standpoint the obvious solution is simply to design combat scenarios that aren't easily zergable. Make the mob teleport, pop PD or Invincible, its not rocket science to design battle logic to derail AC/AF zerging because contrary to what so many impressions say around here, its far from infallible.

When you knowingly invest in a broken trend, it's your own fault when it gets flushed down the toilet.

You knowingly waste a billion gil obtaining nirvana and all the +1 gear knowing full well what you're doing is broken. No sympathy. And if you're smart you'll make more money than you spent abusing it anyway. So double no sympathy.

you cant negotiate your way out of admitting smn is broken.

My working theory is square counts nirvana's (we know they do) and are waiting to nerf it based on x number of them made. Because no one will ever make another one after the nerf, and hardly any were ever made before the buff. Nirvana is about to pass tizona on the most made mythics list (it's inaccurate but point is still there)

I think your hate to smn in general goes to something personal really, maybe some asura SMN merc groups didnt like you or something?

And Inx is defending SMN not because his ls uses it to make aeonics but for personal use really, i know his ls and they didnt do aeonics with smn, its all blm + rng strats so from his standpoint, he's just defending a job he plays and dont want get nerfed.

For example yesterday i did a couple fu runs with ls mates, standard ranged setup with rng cor sch geo pup tank and me smn, i was third in dmg the whole run (with pet rolls from a mule cor) so yea, smn shines dmg wise only with AC/AF combo in hard content.

Its like if me as a blu demand that war drk and sam get nerfed because in max buffed situations, they -can- beat me on a parse, how cool would that be? its the same principle here, just changing job names.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
サーバ: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-11-05 10:39:30  
Truly would be Ideal if they could just remove buffs no matter which ones, if that player is not in party. No more Outside buffs = balance.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
サーバ: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-05 11:18:38  
Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »
For example yesterday i did a couple fu runs with ls mates, standard ranged setup with rng cor sch geo pup tank and me smn, i was third in dmg the whole run (with pet rolls from a mule cor) so yea, smn shines dmg wise only with AC/AF combo in hard content.

This is so true. SMN's 21 sec BP timers puts a cap on how much damage we can do. I get out dps'd by dps jobs all the time when they can get tp in under 10 seconds and just go spammy spammy.

SMN's utility is in our flexibity as a damage dealer, the hate reset when we summon a fresh pet, with some limited buffing/debuffing and healing on the side. We only got to this point after being irrelevant as a job for nearly a decade.
 Fenrir.Snaps
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-11-05 11:35:36  
Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
Truly would be Ideal if they could just remove buffs no matter which ones, if that player is not in party. No more Outside buffs = balance.

This would make SMN even more powerful as they only need COR + GEO while melees need much more support.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-11-05 11:39:12  
Buff Automatons!
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-11-05 11:53:18  
at my company we spend millions of $$$ trying to understand our customers and employ agencies to go out and figure out what they want.
SE spends all its time and $$$ trying to piss their customers off.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
サーバ: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-11-05 11:57:46  
Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »
Say they nerfed SMN.

On balance, do you think more people would be happy about it than incensed that the job they've spent a bunch of effort building up has been shuffled to the back of the deck again?

I'd say the latter is far more likely, and that being the case why would SE entertain that approach?

Nerfing stuff generally isn't welcomed, because most people just want to achieve stuff in game, and don't like having to re-think their strategies because of mercurial decisions on the part of the dev-team.

Sorry, but from my standpoint the obvious solution is simply to design combat scenarios that aren't easily zergable. Make the mob teleport, pop PD or Invincible, its not rocket science to design battle logic to derail AC/AF zerging because contrary to what so many impressions say around here, its far from infallible.

When you knowingly invest in a broken trend, it's your own fault when it gets flushed down the toilet.

You knowingly waste a billion gil obtaining nirvana and all the +1 gear knowing full well what you're doing is broken. No sympathy. And if you're smart you'll make more money than you spent abusing it anyway. So double no sympathy.

you cant negotiate your way out of admitting smn is broken.

My working theory is square counts nirvana's (we know they do) and are waiting to nerf it based on x number of them made. Because no one will ever make another one after the nerf, and hardly any were ever made before the buff. Nirvana is about to pass tizona on the most made mythics list (it's inaccurate but point is still there)

I think your hate to smn in general goes to something personal really, maybe some asura SMN merc groups didnt like you or something?

And Inx is defending SMN not because his ls uses it to make aeonics but for personal use really, i know his ls and they didnt do aeonics with smn, its all blm + rng strats so from his standpoint, he's just defending a job he plays and dont want get nerfed.

Its like if me as a blu demand that war drk and sam get nerfed because in max buffed situations, they -can- beat me on a parse, how cool would that be? its the same principle here, just changing job names.
It would only be the same principle if they could beat a super skilled/buffed/geared BLU by 500% with only two buffers and SP, while also being vastly safer.

They can't, so no, it's a completely different situation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-05 12:11:46  
Blazed1979 said: »
at my company we spend millions of $$$ trying to understand our customers and employ agencies to go out and figure out what they want.
SE spends all its time and $$$ trying to piss their customers off.
Pissed off customers is a given in any business. Even for those that spent $$$ trying to understand them.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-11-05 12:18:09  
BLU should be nerfed because of it's damage as a hybrid job.

It's not supposed to be a straight DD, yet is played as one. It shouldn't even come close to a pure DD. That's how it's supposed to work, you get utility so you lose damage potential, BLU violates that rule. (this does NOT mean that BLU is the best DD, it means that BLU is overly strong for its title and class so don't even *** start with the blu is mediocre compared to war)

Until MNK > BLU, BLU should be nerfed. Every DD class should outpower every hybrid class. Outside of the gimmicks they're created for.

SMN will get nerfed, I promise. I don't know when, unfortunately square is fantastic at being terrible. The unfortunate truth is the only way to save the game is to save you from yourself by taking it away. You can't be trusted to use it responsibly.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-11-05 12:21:52  
How much DMG/DPS smn does outside of AC/AF burns is irrelevant.
It is how much DMG/DPS they do WITH AC/AF that melts everything worth noting in game.

Create a form of diminishing returns on BPs. Every BP after the first 6 within a minute duration results in a 50% dmg cut.
viola - problem solved. You can still have as much as 2 SMNs doing their max dmg outside of AC/AF.

Actually, just redo AC. Make it more Bloodpact ward beneficial like adding 50% more potency to hastegaII, stoneskin, aerial armor. Or even better make AF/AC allow access to some crazy new buffs with wards. Fenrir - Crit hit dmg+50%, Ifrit WSDMG+50%, Garuda Crit Hit Rate +50%, Titan- DT-90%, Carbuncle All status resist +90%, Diabolos Endrain 100% of dmg dealt, Odin - Quad Atk +50%, Alexander - HP + 5,000

SMN favorite job, everyone benefits, no more *** AC/AF burn. I'd come back for that.

Make it so.
 Asura.Cair
VIP
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2017-11-05 12:28:30  
want a real shocker

we use blu and mnk
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2017-11-05 12:35:49  
Asura.Xijaah said: »

Although now, if they were smart about it, they'd choose other means to make aeonics more accessible, like for example the removal of the retard and punishing scaling of NMs' health.
That would've been so much better than letting one job (awesome as it may be) dominate the scene with so little competition.
That might open positions on some already established roosters to include competent players, which now are (rightfully) left out due to said scaling. What we're seeing now, at least on Asura, is a bunch of scrubs with no coordination and close to no time invested in understanding the mechanics of a very complex job, that most of the times get together and waste theirs and everyone else's time by trying to clear content they're not ready for.

Removal of HP scaling is something I can definitely see happening down the road. It's just a matter of time..
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-11-05 12:47:06  
Removal of HP scaling would be awesome.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-05 12:59:52  
Blazed1979 said: »
Actually, just redo AC. Make it more Bloodpact ward beneficial like adding 50% more potency to hastegaII, stoneskin, aerial armor. Or even better make AF/AC allow access to some crazy new buffs with wards. Fenrir - Crit hit dmg+50%, Ifrit WSDMG+50%, Garuda Crit Hit Rate +50%, Titan- DT-90%, Carbuncle All status resist +90%, Diabolos Endrain 100% of dmg dealt, Odin - Quad Atk +50%, Alexander - HP + 5,000

You must have forgotten the Scholar Embrava phase. Crazy buffs opens the door to new problems.

I'm fine with AC nerf, but this needs to be offset by shorter timers for wards and rages, or have a charge system like bst does so we can do a bunch of things in quick succession.

In terms of wards, Carby is a great healer, but the content doesn't wait for a 20 second timers.
By Afania 2017-11-05 13:00:44  
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Removal of HP scaling would be awesome.

Lol, we have 10 pages of debate/drama about SMN nerf because conduit lowers T4 content difficulty. And now we have people asking for hp scaling removal so the difficulty can get even lower.

Until they make Master trial drops relevant so we have real harder content, thanks but no thanks. Many LS already run T4 with 18 successfully and hp scaling removal will just lower the difficulty with that many people, it'll be just as easy as omen bosses.
 Ragnarok.Inx
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-11-05 13:09:14  
If you are bringing enough players that the HP scaling in Escha is an issue, try just using a conventional strategy. Its not hard!

What drives me most crazy about this whole "issue" is that its not like AC/AF is the only way to win these fights. Its just the most convenient way if you don't have the manpower to do them using the strats that players like Ejiin laid out years ago.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-11-05 13:20:05  
If you are bringing enough players that the HP scaling in Escha is an issue, try just using a conventional strategy. Its not hard!

What drives me most crazy about this whole "issue" is that its not like AC/AF is the only way to win these fights. Its just the most convenient way if you don't have the manpower to do them using the strats that players like Ejiin laid out years ago.

Yep, there was no corresponding SMN buff when Geo was nerfed. The Geo nerf broke a lot of the magic cheese strats with BLM, so people found a way with SMNs.

If after the nerf BLM spam was still viable as the path of least resistance, I absolutely believe a lot of the crying for a nerf would not be so loud.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
サーバ: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-11-05 13:29:09  
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »

Yep, there was no corresponding SMN buff when Geo was nerfed. The Geo nerf broke a lot of the magic cheese strats with BLM, so people found a way with SMNs.

If after the nerf BLM spam was still viable as the path of least resistance, I absolutely believe a lot of the crying for a nerf would not be so loud.
SMN zerg was always the path of least resistance, even when BLMs were most popular. It just wasn't widely known until SE making BLM spam much harder made people start looking for other strats.
[+]
 Leviathan.Sidra
user: Sidra
By Leviathan.Sidra 2017-11-05 13:31:52  
Odin.Geriond said: »
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »

SMN zerg was always the path of least resistance, even when BLMs were most popular. It just wasn't widely known until SE making BLM spam much harder made people start looking for other strats.

Not true. It was the change to BloodPacts to allow for FTP transfer, basically doubling Volt Strike damage.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2017-11-05 13:34:44  
The majority of the pro-nerf people don't even mind if SMN remained the #1 DD in every conceivable strategy. The issue is that AC zerg is so far and away beyond everything else that is destroys any semblance of balance the game has. If you put AC zerg in check while keeping SMN a top DD, the game is probably the most balanced/diverse it's ever been in its history.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-11-05 13:41:44  

The issue really is just you avoid every mechanic in the game by these monsters. The difference between AC/AF vs the next strat is night and day.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 193 194 195 ... 201 202 203